Aberrant RPG - Underworld

needle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I've read it. Its okay, but very uneven. The Camerelli-Zhukov and Nakato sections are pretty good, if unsurprising. However, the Heaven Thunder Triad section makes them out to be an invincible conspiracy *WAAY* too much, and the Medellin Cartel section rather randomly turns them into a cryptofascist 4th Reich organization.

All in all, it reads like a post-cancellation notice product that didn't get much beyond first draft.

I've read it. Its okay, but very uneven. The Camerelli-Zhukov and Nakato sections are pretty good, if unsurprising. However, the Heaven Thunder Triad section makes them out to be an invincible conspiracy *WAAY* too much, and the Medellin Cartel section rather randomly turns them into a cryptofascist 4th Reich organization.

All in all, it reads like a post-cancellation notice product that didn't get much beyond first draft.

I've skimmed it, and there's only one part that I really remember, which is a big gripe about one of their NPCs in the Medillin. The female nova, with Pretercognition, Premonition, and a bunch of other skills relating to probability and the future, much the same way the Mathematician is portrayed. Except her justification for knowing it is having learned Hari Seldon's psychohistory.

Except that both Hari Seldon, and psychohistory, and fictional creations of Isaac Asimov from his Foundation series, and therefore can't be learned by anyone in the real world, or even the Aberrant world.

More than anything, I just ask: Why? Did we really need a book detailing criminal cartels?

Why not a book fleshing out the Aberrant faction? Why not another Worldwide book? Why not a book about the government nova groups that were never explained, like Exploding Heavenly Mandate, Column Shiva, etc.? Why not a book about independant novas, like novox entertainers and nova celebrities? Why not a book about all of the businesses and corporations hiring, run, or owned by novas, like Novelty Consulting and ViaSoft? Why not a book about the religious impact of novas and all of the cults that have sprung up since 1998? Why not a world book detailing governments, wars, conflicts, and political novas as of 2015?

I agree about the Heaven Thunder Triad...they're made out to be craftier than The Directive, Project Proteus, and the Aberrants all combined and multiplied by 2.

Across the various boards I've posted on, this is hardly my most extreme necromancing.

As an aside, all those various book ideas you mention, Blue Thunder? All good ideas, and I'm sure if the line lasted longer, we'd have seen some or all of them.

The problem is, the line *did* end. . . and Underworld just happened to be one of the last books not quite finished.

Not that there aren't poor books in the line. Expose: Aberrant was a ripoff that should have been a full sized book. Church of Michael Archangel could have used some actually OOC information in it.

I dont know, but I think that Ian's snag here is not really that the thread is old Meta, but that CHILL, Harlequin and Needle have not been here regularly for a couple of years (about since the site moved I think), so your answer is to a large degree redundant.

Archived