Senior Mals Weekly Aeonverse Question part 2

Senior Mal

Well here we are, so a question for this week,

well we've had an Aberrant question, a Trinity one so I guess its time for Adventure.

And in standard Mal fashion I'm going to skip to the end. In 1943, the Aeon society openly face Dr. Primoris. so this weeks question is thus:

When two such high powered forces openly collide why are, to all available knowledge, all the participants involved still alive. Mercer lives, Whitley lives, Danger Ace lives, Primoris (naturally  :tounge2 ) survives. So what happened why did no-one die and why after this did the Aeon society not pursue Primoris?

One word: respect. Mercer, Primoris, et al. have a great respect for the character of the others, but see them as misguided. Even when it comes to blows, they'll pull punches so as not to actually harm the other.

My two (in a hurry) bits.

-Joseph

First: Who says everyone did survive?  Max, Doc, and Whit did, but there was certainly room for a large bodycount.

Second: Doc was more or less in love with Max, and so wouldn't have wanted to kill him.  

Third: Max would have known how important Doc would be in the future, and so he couldn't kill him now.

Fourth: The type of play at the time (the unwritten rules) were that the bad guy doesn't kill the good guy but just puts him in a lethal trap.  (Corny I know).

Dear Senior Mal,

Here is my three pence:

There is a death, Annabell Lee dies because of the conflict, actually to be more specific she betrays Aeon Society and dies, Also I always invisioned the face off to come to a climax with a dramtic dialouge between Mercer and Primoris and The Doctor makes his get away fading into obscurity till the next century. But I don't have much to go on with this so it is mainly theory...

-PP

I don't think Crackshot dies in that conflict. The book says she dies "shortly before World War II" and WWII started in 1939. America entered in 1941, which is still two years before the big fight. It also hints that she died due to her "incautious ways."

We know Mercer, Whitely, and Danger Ace are alive in the 22nd century ... but that doesn't neccesarily mean they don't die in 1943. Remember that Mercer's power is essentially time travel. There's no reason he couldn't have brought a 1930s version of Whitely and Danger or even the whole ÆON Society to the 22nd century ... only to have them die in the 40s, a decade after they return from their journey to the future.

Ick ... time travel gives me a headache.

Hmm... after much poking around... (I poke around Adventure and Trinity for material for my favorite of the games, Aberrant)  I came to this conclusion:

The Society probably did not kill the good doctor because Max saw that his death would be worse for history in the long run.  The book clearly states the Aeon society is out to see what individuals, events, or places hinges in humanity's history and their potential... Michael Daemon Donighal (Michael Daemon... Divis Mal... coincidence?) is definitely one of those.  Also if any of you get the chance... open your Adventure! books to page 12 and start reading the first paragraph of the second column on down to the end of the page... I began having flash backs of the Null Manifesto when I was reading that, honestly! (especially when Max says " ... instead of thinking and feeling what the authorities says is okay.")

The rest of the Society (minus Max), from what I read did want to go after Michael... my question was initially... Why were they attacking him in the first place?  What was it that sparked the conflict?  I think (and no this is not written down anywhere but bare with me okay) that the Aeon Society retrieved Hammersmith's machine from Mr. Saturday and were examining it.  The good doctor had already sent a letter to Max regarding what he thought should happen with humanity (basically a larger explosion... see page 103) to help out their potential.  From reading the stories, I got the impression that he was kind of like Sherlock Holmes.  Logically he would need to see what had caused the Inspiration in himself before he could even attempt to recreate the experiment.  So I think the fight was over the defense of said machine (ruined though it was).

But I have rambled enough.  I hope this was interesting...

---Minerva

Michael Daemon Donighal (Michael Daemon... Divis Mal... coincidence?)

Minerva, he IS Divis Mal!  It states it clearly later on, along the lines of "decades later, he would make his next play for power as Divis Mal."

And this conflict.  Who said it ivolved weapons?  Why not a race against time or something else?  I do not hink that we can even speculate on this because we know squat!

OK so here we are at Thursday once more and its time for

Mal's Definitive Answer!

Well the settings largely concerned with gung-ho action and this event largely marks the end of the Adventure era, so like all comics and stories (pulp or otherwise) there's always the showdown with the bad guy.

Perhaps it started with Max trying to reason with Michael (at this point a worthy but ultimately futile gesture) finally resolved by out and out combat. However, Primoris as displayed in the Aberrant setting has (until the Night of Long Knives) a modicum of patience, adopting the attitude "They'll learn to see things my way" E.G his encounter with Ceastus Pax. So he fakes his own death, probably by blowing up the rescued Hammersmith Machine (He already has schematics of how it works and I really like the idea and how it links in with the Galatea) The Aeon society thinks he's dead, all except Max who suspects otherwise, however with the pressure of dealing with WW2, his suspicions will have to wait.

Not ab ad answer - but leaves loadsa questions unanswered.  Would it not have something to do with Annabelle's death in some shape or form.  I certainly feel that it has some bearing on the events that follow it.

Perfection is the state at which nothing supercedes it. It is the unattainable goal that you neanderthals strive so hard to reach but that I manage before I've even had my morning shower.

Hope that answered your question and didn't confuse you  :Devil

So why do you have that shower?  IS it because you smell bad before you have it (and lets face it, you always smell bad) and you attempt to cleanse yourself but that implies that beforehand you were not in a state of perfection, as your hygiene sucked.

That and the fact that people's definition of anayomically perfect varies hugely.  My image of somebody being anatomically perfect would be my girlfriend, whereas yours is of lithe young men (according to certain sourcebooks...)

Got ya   :Devil

• 2 months later...

Childish fun?  

::steps up::

I'm you're man!  :D

erm....  and Defender of course...  Buddy, where are you?

::looks around::

Well we can't have the two most 'childish fun types' not on the same thread together now can we?

::sly

Archived