Aberrant: In the Beginning - So... to quote Jerry Maguire...

Titan

Quote:
Meet The Press - April 19, 1998

Tim Russert: Good Morning. I am Tim Russert, and this is Meet The Press. It isn't often that we get a second chance, and because tomorrow will be four weeks since the explosion of the Galatea, we are talking about second chances.

Twenty-seven days ago, another nuclear device was detonated just above Earth's atmosphere. Secretary of State Madeline Albright is here to explain why China has gotten a pass on what every intelligence agency in the world has judged, and leaked, to be China's attempt to corner the Novus market.

Thirteen days ago, a group of Novus assassinated President Hosni Mubarik of Egypt, while almost simultaneously, a still-unknown Novus devastated Edinburgh. Media lawyer Stephen Brill is here to discuss why public opinion towards the Novus is still so positive, with relatively little backlash except among fringe groups.

Twelve days ago, the submarine rescue. Ten days ago, the disc of light in Trafalgar Square, with a number of Novus emerging from the... er... portal. Seven days since the Aeon Society officially received UN sanction to seek out and study Novus. And yesterday's revelation that President Clinton has commissioned a Novus contingent of the Secret Service.

The world has changed dramatically in the last four weeks. It is continuing to change, before our eyes. Yet, I cannot help but feel that we have been here before, many times. Around the world, humanity has abused and used the different, the minority. We have, on the whole, mistreated and maligned the... Other. At the same time, new technological advances have been exploited and misused without thought to long term consequences. We, all of us, still suffer the hangover from those ideas, those times, those attitudes.

And here we are. With a new minority, never before seen. With a new source of power, of destructive force, of genius, of ...

The point I am so laboring over is this: We may have a second chance, as humanity, to demonstrate what we have learned throughout our flawed history. To show ourselves that we know how we should treat a minority. To demonstrate that we can be responsible with power. The future, looking back, will decide how well we deal with this changed world. For the world has changed. History will judge us by how we handle those changes right now...in the beginning.

So... to quote Jerry Maguire...

Who's coming with me?

To those who are still wondering, yes, this is exactly what you think it is. I kept looking at games, and thinking of ideas for my own, and what I kept coming back to, again and again, was the thought that I had, we had, some serious unfinished business in the world of ItB, and until we resolved that, I wasn't going to be happy in any other game.

I am in a stable situation for the first time in a couple of years, with EVERY evening off. I am bursting with ideas, and cannot wait to get started. That said, I want to keep it down to 8-10 players, to prevent burnout, and it would be very helpful if at least 4 were in a group of some kind. Based on the response so far, I am very excited, but I want to keep it up for another day or so to give others an opportunity to get in.

Thank you all so much for jumping (and jaunting, in one case) into the deep end with me again.

"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time." -Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy

Welcome back Titan, glad you have the time again to spend it among friends. I'm glad your life has finally reached a stable plateau where you can divide your attention between family and us mewling digital RP fiends.

I ain't good at being sentimental, so welcome back, and you know that if need time to kick back n' chill, our no-life havin' asses aren't going anywhere. smile

Archived