Star Wars: The New Sith Empire - Star Wars: OOC Thread

Dave ST

Originally Posted By: Stargaizer
In my opinion, provided that it is captured in pristine condition, it would only take a bridge crew to fly the thing. The skeleton crew is what is needed to keep it marginally operational.

Besides, I know of the perfect way to dispose of all those nasty stormtroopers... though as Dave has pointed out in PM's before it would probably make R2-FX a war criminal...

Then it would just be a matter of ferrying down the people who didn't want to join but weren't actively hostile to the surface of the planet, securing those who wanted to join until their loyalty could be proven, and jumping the SD to an undisclosed location, powering it down and booby-trapping it to await for our return when we could use it effectively.

Honestly I think it's doable, especially the taking the bridge part. The problem is getting there undetected.

Is it doable for a lot of Jedi to take a Star Destroyer? Sure. Is it doable for a bridge crew to man a Star Destroyer, even long enough to jump it to a hidey-hole and mothball it? No way in hell. The crew compliment is:

Officers (9,235)
Infantry (9,700)
Enlisted (27,850)

Assuming you could run it with a skeleton crew, say 10% of the enlisted, the guys who do the work, you're still going to need 2785 people to do this. That's after you spend how who-knows-how many lives taking the ship. They need those the warm bodies now to fight, not to throw them away capturing something they can't use effectively for a long time anyway.

The Empire mounts those massive ships because they have the resources to do so. The Alliance doesn't because they don't have the resources, not to mention that piling them all into one captured ship would be a grave tactical error.

Last, I think that no one would approve the idea of spacing the corridors of the ship. First, there would be non-combants in the hanger bays and hallways. Second, there are stormtrooper guards posted throughout, so getting rid of 'all those pesky' stormtroopers would require spacing the entire ship. I know that no Jedi is going to be okay with this, but the alternative is to risk the few people they have to gain a hollow victory.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well said Dawn.

As for a hiding place, I have a few ideas:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Saijo_sector

This appears to be an out of the way sector, even for the Outer Rim... plus also in the same sector:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Faldos

...which is a world where 'smugglers sell stolen weapons, armor and technology.' A good place for us to outfit our skimpy Rebellion yes?

I have to disagree with you Dawn. The Nimitz class aircraft carriers list a crew of 3,200 + 2,480 in the air wing. Does that mean that it takes, at your 10%, a minimum of 320 people to operate an aircraft carrier? I'm pretty sure that a bridge crew can get it from point A to point B. They wouldn't be able to maintain it, launch fighters from it, but they should be able to use the weapons turrets for self defense and steer it. They wouldn't be able to fix anything that went wrong, maintain it, or be able to do a whole lot of anything, but a fully staffed bridge crew can 'sail' one.

I'm saying that there is probably a large similarity between that and a SD in that a fully staffed bridge crew could 'fly' a SD. They wouldn't be able to maintain it, fix anything that went wrong with it, or do much of anything except possibly fire off a couple of batteries of turbolasers for self defense, but they would be able to get it from point A to point B... in my opinion. I think that a SD would be more akin to a Nimitz aircraft carrier where all functions are routed through the bridge, but lots of support personnel are required to maintain operations than an old ship like the Titanic (and kin) where the bridge has limited control and just relays orders to other parts of the ship where the actual 'work' gets done (shovel more/less coal and open/close valves to increase or decrease speed, etc.). My opinion.

Second, I don't really disagree that the Jedi wouldn't like FX's plan. Though I do believe that an alarm claxon (general quarters-esque) or announcement would be enough to clear the hallways of innocent personnel. Granted spacing the entire ship would be easier, but spacing one compartment at a time (until you get as many of the little hidey holes possible) would be possible, if time consuming. But I think the pay-off would be worth the time spent, especially if it nets a SD (whether they can fully operate it or not) and saves the majority of the innocent lives on board.

Not saying that we could/should do it or that anyone would even agree with it, I'm just trying to say that it's possible (in my opinion).

Like I said above, it wouldn't be the Jedi way to kill everyone aboard, unless they were in combat and the ship were attacking them or trying to exterminate a planet or something.

Joram would want to do one of two things, either gas everyone to sleep (if that were possible), or force an evacuation via escape pods which would be possible. Set the self destruct and play a game of chicken with the crew. I think most of them would head for the life pods. Those that didn't would be the hard core type enemies that you'd have to kill perhaps via FX's plan.

Should we do it? That's a good question. Dawn makes some good points there, it would be risking a great deal for something that might not work. On the other hand, if you did get on board and set the self destruct for a game of chicken and you lost, the Sith would still have lost a star destroyer and the rebels would still get away. The question is how many jedi you would lose in the process, they are a very valuable resource after all.

A supplementary question:

On a question of relative scale, how badly would losing 1 Star Destroyer hurt the Sith Empire. Even with all hands oon board. Even with say 10 or so Sith on board at most.

Would it be as bad as losing some of the very few jedi and whoever else went on the mission would be for the Rebellion?

Answer: Probably not.

Guys, as I posted in my OOC thread, Official Hiatus, I've been a bit on the afk-ish side while finishing up finals and getting ready for a wedding in the family. The wedding is tonight, so after that I'm gonna be a lot more available. I'll try to get caught up on SW ASAP, cause now that it's rolling again I'm very excited to get back to the rebellion. laugh

I've a question...

The Rebellion has the means to leave the planet (everyone did get there on their own after all). Why do they need a Star Destroyer?

It's one Star Destroyer aloft in orbit... it's not even a blockade at this point. It's one ship... easily avoided if everyone just flies the other way. The Jedi were not aware of numbers and for all they knew it was in fact an armada up there forming a blockade to lay waste to escaping ships.

Logically, you could just tuck your hands in your pockets, whistle, and just mosey out the back door. At most a few short range fighters will be all you'll have to worry about as you calculate the jump to light speed.

Another thing: has anyone heard of the Geneva Conventions? These are basically protocols that govern how people, even the enemy, should be treated during times of war. The Rebellion surely follows a creed very similar to these conventions which is why they do not engage in planetary bombardment, napalming Sith camp or releasing biological weapons...

...or spacing entire ships because the storm troopers have guns are obviously the 'bad guys'.

It's barbaric and morally reprehensible to asphyxiate 20+ thousand people as they freeze to death or possibly have their entrails distended through any number of orifices on their body as the vacuum space saves the day for our 'heroes'.

In the heat of a battle I could accept Jorum using Move Object to slam an airlock button and sucking the bad ass Sith 'boss man' out the airlock during a pivotal 'do or die' moment in a fight, but not when 20,000+ lives are involved.

What you propose is not different than gathering everyone into the showers and gassing them all, simply because they are the bad guys and you are the good guys.

I've said my piece, the rest is up to you...

Sorry if I am rude or blunt, but let me be clear to SG and Fox:

Forget it. We have neither the time, people, energy or what have you to take a Star Destroyer nor to make use of it. It's simply not worth considering.

Now, why don't we think on where we can make a good, new, improved, SECURE base- as well as strengthen our meager position. I have given suggestions above, any thoughts on those?

Edit: Another location:

Jungle Moon of Va'art

A jungle moon in the Mid-Rim. Read about the native creatures known as the taozins, and you might find this appealing too.

Layel, I wasn't suggesting that the characters proceed, or even that FX would approve of the plan I laid out. All I was doing was suggesting OOC that an option that was given IC was doable, if not necessarily practical or moral.

I have no idea where the characters should go, but I do suggest that all the discussion happen IC instead of OOC (otherwise there's a large risk of metagaming).

Oh, and just a differing point of view, would there be that much of a difference in spacing a SD and bombing a military base? Both can happen with little to no warning, both kill people both instantly and more slowly and both are indiscriminate. Just putting that out there for thought.

Like I said, spacing the crew would not be the jedi way. I was suggesting making them flee the ship in escape pods or gassing them with nockout gas. Seemed like a big movie plot kinda thing to do. We are not going to do it so moving along...

If people want to split hairs on the killing is killing topic I'm cool with that. Personal I'm not sure if people are playing dumb when they argue their points or they honestly don't grasp the concept of scale and means.

Is there a difference? Yes, there is. It's in the how and the why and the scale of the death involved.

If the Star Destroyer currently served as some tactical threat to your team, then yes I'd agree with taking it down in a dog fight, boarding it and disabling it. The crew gets ample time to escape and the SD is reduced to a non-threat.

Spacing everyone on board is cold blooded murder. It shows a complete lack of caring for the lives on board and it serves only to achieve as large of a body count as possible. There is no tactical advantage to slaughtering 30,000 people.

Just out of curiosity, Star, being the God-fearin' man that you are... would you, as a person, still be able to look in the mirror and call yourself a good and just man after you pushed that button and executed 30,000 people?

Actually... could any of you? I know I couldn't. That's how I know, even though this is just a game and we're playing with imaginary bad guys, that spacing an SD is just plain un-good.

For me it'd be about necessity.

If the Star Destroyer was the centerpiece of a system defence fleet - the command vessel of a force that stood between the Alliance and a vital objective, and it would be dangerously Phyrric to confront it even if we won, then I'd say that finding a way to neutralise it and the 30k men on board was necessary.

If the Star Destroyer was able to somehow keep the Alliance from fleeing the planet, or was going to bombard the hell out of a settlement in the next two hours unless they surrendered the princess, or posed a direct threat that couldn't be gotten around, but had to be run through - then it would be necessary to take it out by the most pragmatic means.

Now I don't hold that there'd be 'innocents' serving on an Imperial vessel. (In the prison cells is another matter). Even the poor greasemonkey in the Engineering Deck: he might have made a choice to sign up, or was drafted at blasterpoint, but he's now part of the Imperial WMD (1 Imperial Star Destroyer can slag a hemisphere of a planet down to the bedrock with a few hours of bombardment, and do the whole planet in a day) and if the Star Destroyer needs to go, then at least he has a fighting chance to get to the escape pods.

Unless of course he's spaced by some psycho R2 unit with a vacuum fetish. wink That's the real problem with the plan, SG. It's the worst kind of murderous. It's not surgically taking out one crucial man with a blaster rifle, it's not slipping in behind a sentry with a vibroknife and shivving him so the rest of the Spec-Ops team can get through. Even Jedi can and have done those things if necessary. A good guideline for morality of a plan is to ask "Would a Jedi, trying to keep to the Light, under any circumstances whatsoever contemplate actually doing this?" If the answer's no, then you might need to look at the plan again. Non-Force sensitives can get Dark Side points too...

Thanks.

Anyway Dave:

Santhe/Sienar Technologies. The producers of the TIE Fighters and other ships Imperial. I would presume they are still around and still-pro Sith? There is a reason for this question, highlighted in my posted response when it comes forthwith.

Hey guys, after flying back to Tokyo I returned to my office Monday only to be laid off. It looks like the natural disaster has put the writing on the wall in my little office and they realize that the SALES people cannot do their job. So they need to reduce costs by cutting the senior engineer (keeping the junior guy that has only been there 3 months). No one every says management is smart. I would have waited a few more months to ensure the junior guy at least could do the job first. Anyway, that's what I get for skipping town under the threat of nuclear disaster.

Not sure what that will mean for the future of my gaming, but it has definitely put a damper on my creativity for the near term. I expect that I will actually have less time for playing in the longer term as I don't have my iPhone to keep up on things and cannot spend as much time in front of a computer at home as I could working. I did finally manage to read up on everything IC and will try to post today.

As for the OOC, I will say this comment (not having any opinion on the rest of it). Having served aboard a Nimitz Class carrier, I think 2 people could actually drive the thing if the powerplant was already up and running to answer the controls from the bridge. One person drives it steering/throttle controls and another watches where they are going since the helm doesn't have much visibility IIRC. (no side or rear view mirrors grin) Basically driving a carrier and driving a small frigate are the same if you don't care what you hit or run over.

Originally Posted By: Dari Telana
Slight update in my 2a post, guys - I hadn't realized Layel had been in the hallway w/Dari, I thought he was in the room with the rest of the crew. I've integrated a response to him, and his presence as Dari enters the room, into my post.
Sorry I could not throw this out there before, but in the last thread, Akira was accompanying Dari. If you want to add her name in the post somewhere too, that would make sense. But doesn't really matter to me either way since it is already done and read by everyone.

I'll probably update that post just for continuity, Akira. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hana - let me just say first, whoops! LOL. While I hadn't intended for Dari to say that (I was pretty tired when writing the post), but now that you've had Hana point it out, I've decided that it's actually an interesting slip, and I plan on coming up with an interesting response. laugh So I'll try to get one to you by tomorrow. Hehe.

Yavin peeps, I have a question for ya:

Would you guys prefer to handle the evacuation off camera and move on or would like a more dramatic escape involving a few TIE fighters and the opportunity to see how well you guys handle working together aboard a starship?

I'd be fine with a space fight. Since R2 now 'knows' how to pilot a transport, and I have the highest pilot of the group, I wouldn't mind pulling a few maneuvers (if the dice roller doesn't hate me and get us all killed).

Would be interesting, methinks.

Originally Posted By: Shayadri Azrah
Whew... Akira's on the fast shuttle to Hubris Town, isn't she? wink
I was confused. Arrogance was not what I was going for on my last IC post, but I now think you meant my earlier comment OOC. grin

I am just itching to start slicing and dicing with two sabers now. Now with a few extra FUs we can probably take a shuttle full of grunt troopers (ie. blaster fodder) if they don't use a butt-load of grenades. This is space opera, right? wink

Actually, I was referring to Akira's thoughts about Hana having apparently forgotten her teachings and feeling self-important enough to assume Hana needed to be reminded by Akira's example. A padawan thinking they're good enough to show someone what a Jedi is supposed to be like is fairly arrogant, as is the assumption that a little polite indignation is equivalent to having lost touch with the Jedi way.

My comment was meant in jest, and I'm in no way criticising the way your character thinks or behaves. What fun would it be, after all, if there was no conflict, and our PCs were all perfect? wink Mine certainly isn't!

Hey guys,

Jasmine's been away for a bit so I'm curious to know how you'd like to continue. Would like me to simply skip her (NPC her) for the time being and move on or would you all like to give her some time to get back in the mix.

We all get busy (don't I know it) and I try to run this game at the pace of the players (and my messed up sched) so if we wait a bit it's no harm no foul and if we press on, I'm sure she won't mind.

Whatcha wanna do?

Ok Dave. When you awarded xp you said that you wished that I didn't roll for everything. So what does FX know about the planet they're going to without having to look anything up. I don't know much myself, so I don't know how much is 'common' knowledge and how much else he would know.

Or do you want me to roll?

Honestly, I want you to use your head. Think about it for a moment and offer up some facts that would be useful for the party. Size, location, atmosphere, and maybe a colony or two that might be on the surface.

Basic stuff. I don't mind liberties being taken, but people have a tendency to just add in all kinds of stuff or just copy/paste from the wiki like their PC is a encyclopedia. Have some fun with it, just don't go over board.

Archived