Aberrant: Children of Heaven - OOC Thread

The Story Guide

So here's the question then, Mala. Since apparently Moira is kind of the "face" of the group right now - which I'm okay with and all - we need to figure out what happens next. We can ask Dec if he wants to bring Big John back, which would be one more character posting (it would probably help). Right now the things Gregory is talking about is a pretty adult conversation, which seems to indicate that it's going to happen mainly between him and Moira. I can have her step up and take more of a leadership role than she has previously, and I'm okay with that if you are. But here's the question - are there going to be things for these types of characters to do? Do high-schoolers who are going to be looking to someone else for guidance and a really shy Asian guy have a place in this game? Cause if they do and all they need is a leader, then that's what I can do.

But I think the rest of you need to understand that this is a plot-driven game, and that Mala isn't the type of ST to just throw bad guys at us to have to deal with. In her kind of game we're going to have to ask questions, and demand answers, and pursue information. If your character isn't the type who's willing to do that at all, and we have multiple characters who are going to stay like that, then yes, this will get frustrating for her.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is I am more willing to step up and have Moira be more of a group leader (which is kind of what I've been doing with her to start with, so I'll just amp it up a bit), but other people are going to have to modify their characters/posting quite a bit. No matter how shy or scared or nervous you are, if you were just attacked by ninjas and have been warp-hopping all over the place and can make storms with your thoughts and emotions, then wouldn't you have more questions? If someone were sitting in front of you who seemed to have some information, wouldn't you want to know more about what's going on? And if you don't think your character can be like that, then we probably don't have the right characters for this game and we should just shut it down. Mala isn't going to spoon-feed it to us. I've known her long enough to know that much about her ST style.

She's having computer issues so she probably won't be able to respond to this right away, but I'd like some feedback from you guys in the meantime. What do you think? Is this something we can try and step up to make work? Or are we just going to have to call it?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well to be honest I actually made Zoey to be much more independent not realizing just how much of a plot driven game this would be. I had had visions of her using her gift to get into mischief and maybe rob a bank and set herself up in some city, very much like in the movie Jump. In short, I had no idea what we were getting into. wink Had no idea what Mala's ST style would be.

That's not to say I don't like the style. I'm just not too big on filler posts the way Carver mentioned. At the moment the right questions were being asked and answered albiet at a glacial pace, so I hadn't felt the need to jump in. smile

If we're going to continue I can adapt the character to fit the game, but like several of the others mentioned, when Mala first asked. I didn't really plan the character for quite the circumstances that the game is going towards. So at this point I could step away and put the character on the shelf and it wouldn't bother me to do it. If we do go on, then like you are saying changes will have to be made in our posting habits, but also in the characters in terms of fitting the game instead of our original concepts.

Okay, then, a request and a question -

The request: if it's been a few days since I've last posted or since anyone has posted, please just put something in the ooc thread say "my character isn't going to react/interact/whatever" or "I'm ready to move on", otherwise I feel like either I'm going ahead when people might just be busy IRL or that whatever is going on simply isn't interesting/fun for the players. Which leads to the quesion:

What do you guys want?

I can back off the plot a bit, but yeah, I'm not usually a very open-worldesque type of ST at least for the intro storyline. Which isn't to say I can't try, after all most of life is trying new things; I just need to know that that is the direction my players would like to go in. Just as I've asked you guys to make some modifications for me, I'm willing to try making modifications for you.

So.....questions? Comments? Requests? Suggestions? Lemon cake?

PS - My computer is FUBAR'd right now. I'm posting from work and my husband will be out of town for the weekend so I'll have use of his computer, but things may be a bit sporadic for me until this issue with my compy gets taken care of.

What you have been doing is fine. I have tried to post with Sebastian as needed, or even when not to try to get things going, railroading plot is fine with me, keeps the game going.

Having Sebastian's Dad being more experienced and having gone through his makes him shut up and wait to be told what to do. He is his Dad after all. Sebastian can only have so many off-nature outbursts before it gets cheesy IMO.

If you know, Eddie or Zoey would respond when asked a question...that would help things along too... wink

Thanks for your responses and posts, guys. Sorry I've been a bit AWOL (it's finals week and the course project was due last week). I'll be looking to advance the storyline over the next couple of weeks, but I (and two of the players in this game) will be moving at the end of the month, so it'll probably still be slow for a bit. Thanks for hanging in there!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mala -

Is it possible we could open this up to a couple other players if they would be willing? I'm all up for going on but since we've lost three of the originals it's gonna be pretty tough to keep going. I know there's no big hurry right now cause Forge is super busy with life stuff and can't do a lot of posting, but maybe if we were to get a couple more people involved in the meantime, it might make the story flow a bit easier?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...we just lost another player in this game, and with the rather sluggish posting it's seeing anyways, I think it's time to close up shop and let people focus on games that are more active/successful. I've lost a great deal of my drive for the game (and probably need a bit more practice ST'ing on a board like this with a support staff before making another game on my own), and I think that with everyone's rather busy RL's, it's just not gonna get the love it needs to get up to speed and running smoothly.

Sorry I couldn't pull it together enough guys. frown

Archived