Aberrant: The Middle Children of History - Character Concept Thread

Question for rules gurus:

At Q6, could I take a Quantum Blast with the Area extra without paying extra Nova points for it?

If the answer is yes, could I then take Mastery on the Q-bolt, and only make it an L3 power? Or does any Mastery automatically make the power L4?

Also, the 6th Quantum point adds another dot of taint, yes?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first extra you buy will not rise it to level 3. So area would not rise it, but you will have to pay 3 nova points for it, because you need to buy it with the amount of points for the level of the power. Mastery automatically raises whatever to the next level, regardless of what is on it.

Okay, so a 5 dot quantum blast with Area and Mastery would cost:

15 points for 5 dots in an L2 power.

10 more points for the Mastery, and it bumping it up to L3.

3 more points for adding a "normal" Extra on, with Q6.

Total of 28 nova points?

Its an order of operations thing I believe. If you buy the area first, it would cost 3. If you buy the area second it would cost 5. Since you already bought Q6.

And remember Lily you are talking about a Q-bolt that is going to do [24]+40 Dice of lethal damage to a blast area with a diameter of 220 Kilometers from a distance of 330 Kilometers away. Every baseline and most Novas (Not to mention structures) are going to buy the farm.

Im cool with that given the scope of the game (Im looking at similar numbers) but maybe you should change the name from Genesis to Apocolypse. wink

Originally Posted By: Ptesan-Wi
I'm seeing a ton of really good concepts here (and Revenant's stuff... but we love ya anyway wink ).

My powerful mind is just far to ahead of the curve for you... dare I say... baselines.

Sokay though, one day you might catch up to my superior mind. One never knows. cool

Alex,

As far as I'm aware, the only techniques of Spatial Manipulation are Askew, Flatform, Ripple Shield, Spatial Shock Wave and Warp Body. That said, I note in the rules that the list "does not include Teleport or Warp, though the Storyteller might consider them available techniques."

While I can see it, I'd think that the usual effect of something being part of a suite rather than a standalone would kick in (i.e., cut the effect in half). Let me talk with Malachite and see if she's groovy with that.

Two things. One, isn't half of 7, 4? And two, as a second gen Terat, you can't buy stuff tainted, even at character creation, so why bother.

So...A level 3 power, at 5 dots, with Mastery 1 would cost 35 np, while with RQC is would cost 40? Or would it cost 42? Does it make a difference what order they are purchased?

Also, I'm not sure I understand the whole influence thing. Do we get free dots? Do we get to choose from the different types? Is something like 'Hide' influence something separate?

You would have to do it with order of operations. Mastery makes you level 3 power a level 4. Level 4 powers at Q6 cant have another extra because then it would be a level 5 power, requiring Q8. You could do it though if you bought RQC first since a L3 power at Q6 can have 2 extras. Mastery would be the second extra.

At least thats as near as I have been able to figure.

My apologies, I forgot to list the Influences. There are: High Society, Criminal, Underworld, Police, Media, Business, Medical, Transportation, Politics, Occult, Nova Group:X (such as Teragen, Utopia, Elites, etc), Church, Academic.

You start with 5 points, may spend them where you will amongst these, and may only buy up to a 3 in any group. The stat ranges from 0 to 10, and is bound by your level of Quantum.

Again, apologies for missing that.

On another note, I am still adjusting to a new job as well as a new boyfriend. I'm slowly sorting out a my schedule, but it will take a bit to become regular. Ptes is helping out as much as she can, but please be patient.

White Rat,

1. The answer there is a solid "no". 2nd-Gen characters can't buy tainted anything, either with NP or XP.

2. From a purely point-based standpoint, they'd start with 0 Taint at character creation (but with a free dot of Chrysalis if they're a Terat). That said, you're free to put up to five dots of Taint on a 2nd-Gen nova at start if you want. There's no mechanical benefit to it; it would simply be representative of a gradual build-up of Taint in the character's background (from botched power-maxing, etc). That said, keep in mind that 2nd-Gen novas don't get a whole lot of Taint; they're pretty good at resisting it (and in the Terat's case, converting it to Chrysalis).

Quote:
Strengths and Weaknesses are allowed, with the restriction that the points garnered by weaknesses for a power may only be spent on strengths.

Explain this please, what else would I spend weakness points on except strengths or the things permitted by the Strengths/Weaknesses rules?

And what are the limits of Invulnerability? What are acceptable things to place in the ()'s?

Obviously specific quantum powers are not accepted (Quantum Bolt for example) but if The Noodler with his Spaghetti Blast came to town would he be thwarted by a nova with Invulnerability (Pasta)?

Is Pasta acceptable? Is "Social Faux Pas" acceptable? What about "Being caused to trip and embarrass myself in front of sea gulls" or "Involuntary Spasms" and would that be an acceptable counter if Spasm-Man jumped the PC in an alley?

The reason I ask is because I've seen some ignorant things put in those ()'s and I'd like to know what's okay and what isn't.

Revenant, believe it or not, some thought of at least a little bit of anti-cheesery was in mind, yes. 90NP and Q6 doesn't mean no limits; it means 90NP and Q6. Also worth remembering that you only get one character at that level.

What we're trying to avoid is the kind of limit-free craziness that was on 2018, where there were literally 500+NP characters running around, where someone could come in with a Procyon and immediately trump people who had been playing their characters for years, where people raped the weakness metric to make earth-shattering Level 1 powers.

In this particular case, the goal is indeed to make it so that powerful juju isn't trimmed down to Level 1. Sure, you can slap Reduced Quantum Cost on something a few times to make it cheap or even free to use... but that ups the power level for NP/XP cost, and those now-Level 3/4 powers eat through the generous NP pool at a remarkable pace.

So yeah, PW has her no-cost Telekinesis... but it was a damned pricey purchase, and even then, I slapped weaknesses on it and a pledge to keep it as a non-combat power; that way, it stays the flavour power that it is supposed to be and not a way to fling buffalo at people all the live-long day. If she wants to TK a frying pan up the side of someone's head, she'll have to use her more standard TK and pay the quantum (er, psi) cost for doing so.

OK, that aside, the Invulnerability [] mess. Yay, mess. Except, it doesn't have to be a mess.

Reading the rules for Invulnerability, it's actually not all that complex. No, you can't have Invulnerability [Quantum Powers], but you can have Invulnerability [Fire]... and that will give you six extra soak against someone who is using a fire-based attack on you - even if it's a flame-based quantum bolt.

Take the Broad Category extra, and you can go so far as to say Invulnerability [Physical Attacks] or Invulnerability [Energy Attacks]... but still not Invulnerability [Quantum Powers]. So your Invulnerability [Energy Attacks] will give you soak against someone with an energy-based quantum bolt, but not against (to use an example from the 2018 game) Sandcaster's "Sandblast" quantum bolt (since it's a physical attack).

And finally, remember that the moderators get the final sign-off on your sheet. We're keeping an eye out for rampant cheese-dickery.

Quote:
What we're trying to avoid is the kind of limit-free craziness that was on 2018, where there were literally 500+NP characters running around, where someone could come in with a Procyon and immediately trump people who had been playing their characters for years, where people raped the weakness metric to make earth-shattering Level 1 powers.

Quote:
And finally, remember that the moderators get the final sign-off on your sheet. We're keeping an eye out for rampant cheese-dickery.

That's why I don't understand the whole strengths and weaknesses thing. Why is everything pretty much no holds barred, except that one thing (strengths and weaknesses)? Why place a limitation on something when you have moderators to simply deny anything that's been designed in an ignorant manner.

I'm not following the logic.

No matter what rules are used to make it, if the moderator has final call then what does it matter? Simply let the characters be made using all the rules in an equal and fair manner and deny the ones made by morons.

The character I have in mind doesn't even use the Str/Weak system, but when I read that I just didn't get it. It makes not a lick of sense considering the end result has to get through a moderator.

Quote:
"Being caused to trip and embarrass myself in front of sea gulls"
"Involuntary Spasms"

Okay, now would it be broad category or a narrow category for those?

Broad because it affects all species of sea gulls, or narrow because sea gulls don't really care if you trip.

Narrow even though it mentions all sorts of spasms, or would a player have to pick a specific type of spasm?

Rev, you seem to be an intelligent person. Use that.

The rule on strengths and weaknesses is there to keep people from wasting their time making a character that uses a mechanic that has already been declared a no-go. It saves time and (usually) arguments on the matter.

As for the Invulnerability, follow the themes presented in the book and then pass the character on to the moderators. If you really want to spend the NP on Invulnerability [Pasta], be my guest. I don't promise as a moderator or storyteller to ever make it a point of interest in the game, but it's not worth the arguments against it if you really want it. Those that choose to do so will reap the consequences of either well thought out and themed characters, or being ridiculed for being silly or just argumentative.

You seem to not be, or just not paying attention. I'm asking what constituted a narrow category or a broad one. I'm using abstract concepts for humor and as a way to deliver my message without clogging up the post with numbers and meaningless debate.

Never mind though, I got it solved.

Thanks.

(Like I'd actually select pasta... wtf...)

Well, your humor can often come across text as rather caustic.

As for the categoric, if it's not one of the ones in the book or something quite near it, the best course of action is to ask the mods. There isn't a single answer we can give that will fit every situation, so it's best to post a specific instance and ask.

Null sweat. Just keep in mind I'm not a moderator for this thing. I'm just a guy offering to double check a few thing and/or look up anything people are sketchy on.

This way your ducks are in a row when Mods-In-Deer-Skins reviews. That, and I've been too lazy to have the energy to start a major fight over something, so I thought I'd be helpful for a change.

Archived