Vampire - The Hounds of Zaroff

Hyoseph

Named for the short story of the same name, The Hounds of Zaroff is a Vampire-The Requiem game I would like to launch on these boards. The general premise is that the game would be largely social, at least initially as the players get into their characters and establish relationships with the others, whether they be rivals or allies. As the networks of character interaction became more and more interwoven a plot or series of plots would be introduced into the game.

As is the case in all games of a more socio-political bent, the choice of whether or not to pursue these plots would be entirely up to the players individually. Some will simply pass on by if not investigated, others will not.

The game's setting would be a fictional city of my design and depending on the number of players and the consensus of the ones present at the outset, the ruling members of the society would likely be NPCs.

Some of the aspects of the game that I will at the very least touch on.

-- Realpolitiks - In classic vampire fashion, political maneuvering is taken to a level unheard of in mortal society as a false move could result in being humiliated before your peers or, worse yet, hunted and killed.

-- Jaded Decadence - You have eternity before you, any number of years behind you. How long before standard mortal pursuits no longer maintain your interest? What will you do to keep eternal boredom from setting in?

-- Breaking the Glass Ceiling - Ambition is both rewarded and punished in this society. Those above you aren't going to retire and collect a pension, they are there until they elevate themselves or are elevated, and in the meantime will hold on to what they have with bloody, greedy talons.

-- Darwin had no idea - In a world of predators, the cost of weakness is worse than death. The same can be said for complacency. There are those below you who want what you have and those above you who have what you want. What do you do?

-- The Most Dangerous Game - Not all kindred battles are waged in board rooms and influence contests. Some are fought on the street with fire and steel. In a world of predators, are you going to be the hunter or the hunted?

----------------------------------

All who would be interested in playing such a game, let me know. I would be all about storytelling such an operation.

Are we just using the core book, or some of the other sourcebooks, as well, and what limitations would the characters have? (I haven't read the short story, but I love Vampire games, so I'm definitely considering playing for that reason alone.)

I'm pretty open to allowing covenant and bloodline books but if the player base gets to an operational size and decides the books are several hundred pages of garbage, then so be it, core it is.

Generation would probably be standard VtR creation with a nice little bump of 50 xp to get going. Standard clans/covenants, there will be a limited supply of certain merits(status and allies come to mind immediately)going around--can't have everybody with Allies 5 in the same thing, just doesn't work.

City status is free, but also depends entirely on my approval. No, unless the game gets huge, you can't start as Prince(note I said Start)

Initially it would be very open as the characters become more acquainted with each other and the established NPC types of the city. After that, then it would become quite ST driven as the driving conspiracies / plots / whatever start coming down the pipe.

As a side - If one of the PCs decides they want to make a bid for a position of power(say, Prince, Regent, etc) then that could end up a plot on its own.

Originally Posted By: Lily
I just recently acquired the Requiem core book.

I'd like to take a stab at this...

Nothing fancy, mind...just core for me. But I don't begrudge others their sourcebooks. smile

It's all good -- Some of the most interesting characters I have ever played are straight out of the big red book.
(Though if you're looking to be Lancea Sanctum or Circle of the Crone, let me know because there's some pretty nice Theban / Cruac sorcery in their books)

Mew...

I'm starting to lean towards my Mekhet concept a little...

Probably either Ordo Dracul or Circle...

An intern in a hospital who falls victim to an older vamp who's posing as a night shift doctor... Might have to research the medical profession a bit to make sure the idea holds water. smile

I need to re-familiarize myself with the options but I'd be interested in Ordo Dracul as well. Something appeals to me about a monster trying to rise above his nature.

Edit -

Did a little Wiki research and I'll probably play a Gangrel of the Ordo Dracul, trying to rise above the beast, or a Nosferatu, unaligned and reveling in his inhumanity.

I've given it some thought, and I'm sticking with my original idea- a Daeva Dragon embraced during the Second World War who owns a theatre in the city limits. I'll also be discussing the possibility of the open Harpy or Keeper positions with Hyo when I submit my write-up, either to start or to make a bid for one of them during play.

Joani -- I have no trouble with characters being connected, and welcome aboard.

All -- I highly recommend background ties, if nothing else it gives a thin bulwark against being backstabbed during the political insanity by another PC smile

Note -- Depending on the player base, this may double as both a social game and a plot-driven game. Albeit the plot will grant more xp than the purely social aspect, Vampire is, at its heart a social game and those parts should not be denied.

Clan/Covenant Breakdown of NPCs posted...

There will be a few others, but these are the ones that have City Status 3+

Daeva 2

Mekhet 2

Nosferatu 2

Gangrel 1

Ventrue 2

Invictus 2

Carthian 2

Ordo Dracul 1

Lancea Sanctum 1

Circle of Crone 2

Unaligned 1

Just a work in progress...don't have the book here, so it's from memory. In particular, I don't know the exp costs of stuff, so this is the "pre exp" version. smile If there's obvious mistakes, questions or comments, feel free to make them known.

Name: Angelina Rosetti

Clan: Mekhet

Covenant: Ordo Dracul

Virtue: Compassion

Vice: Pride

Embrace: Pending

Apparent Age: 25ish

Attributes

Mental:

Intelligence - 4, Wits - 2, Resolve - 3

Physical:

Strength - 2, Dexterity - 2, Stamina - 2

Social:

Presence - 2, Manipulation - 2, Composure - 3

Skills

Mental Skills (-3):

Academics 3

Investigation 2

Medicine 3

Science 3

Physical Skills (-1):

Athletics 1

Melee 1

Stealth 2

Social Skills (-1):

Persuade 2

Empathy 2

Socialize 1

Something Else 2

Other Traits

Merits: Striking Looks **, Resources **, Haven **, (Mentor/Ally/Contact/Similar) *

Willpower: 6

Humanity: 7

Health: 7

Initiative: 5

Defense: 2

Speed:

Blood Potency: 1

Disciplines:

- Auspex 1

- Obfuscate 1

Sorcery or Paths:

- Coil of Blood 1

Vitae: 10/10

Vitae/per Turn: 1

Equipment: Mew

Appearance:

History:

Meep, thank you, sir.

I haven't decided exactly how long Angie's been vamped...probably not too terribly long, since my idea for her has her still working at a hospital and maintaining the illusion of a normal life. Can't keep that up for more than 5-10 years before the lack of aging starts to become an issue. So I'll fill that in as I develop the idea.

Corrected the merit, and will be taking some kind of social merit with the excess dot...probably buying more with exp too...

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: Andrew Murphy
Originally Posted By: Revenant
May the characters make use of the rule in the V:tR rule book that allows them to trade humanity for for XP? (Trade 2 points for 10XP, or one point for 5XP)

Hyoseph you may have missed this question from earlier ... any comment?

Where was this posted? I can't find it...(explains why I missed it) I would say not so much to the humanity trade for xp, but on the flip side, if you plan on doing crazy inhuman acts in game, I would recommend lowering humanity anyway to avoid the risk of derangement. Especially if you're Ventrue.

Originally Posted By: Hyoseph
Originally Posted By: Andrew Murphy
Originally Posted By: Revenant
May the characters make use of the rule in the V:tR rule book that allows them to trade humanity for for XP? (Trade 2 points for 10XP, or one point for 5XP)

Hyoseph you may have missed this question from earlier ... any comment?

Where was this posted? I can't find it...(explains why I missed it) I would say not so much to the humanity trade for xp, but on the flip side, if you plan on doing crazy inhuman acts in game, I would recommend lowering humanity anyway to avoid the risk of derangement. Especially if you're Ventrue.

I second Revs statement, but I can't provide you with the page right now. It is as far as I can remember in the same section where you get extra XPs if you build a character that is older/more advanced.

Page number for Humanity trade-off is 93, Core book, first paragraph.

Originally Posted By: Big Red Book, p.93
As an optional rule, Storytellers may allow those players applying the vampire template during character creation to trade dots of Humanity for experience points. This trade-in reflects some heinous past behavior the vampire engaged in and learned from (accounting for the added experience points), but which also scarred her deeply (explaining the loss in Humanity). Players may sacrifice one dot of Humanity for five experience points, dropping their characters' Humanity scores to as low as five (for a maximum of 10 extra experience points).

Oh, for crying out loud.

Proposal is made. There's one person interested in playing a Daeva and/or member of the Ordo Dracul. Hyo posts the NPCs, and suddenly people are changing their covenants and clans. I said I was sticking to my concept, but I'm rapidly losing interest in the idea as more people jump on the bandwagon.

Also, the interactive character sheets can be saved if you use the right version of Acrobat. Mr. Gone has a lovely website chock full of them.

We've got (by my count) 7 players who have put forth 4 of the 5 Clans and at least 3 of the 5 major covenants. I don't mean to be rude but I think you might be over-reacting a bit.

As for my own indecision I am picking up the book for the first time since I bought it the month it was released (4 years ago) having never fully read it or played it before. I apologize for my questions and jitter-bugging character creation but I am new to this.

Originally Posted By: Vivi OOC
Page number for Humanity trade-off is 93, Core book, first paragraph.

Originally Posted By: Big Red Book, p.93
As an optional rule, Storytellers may allow those players applying the vampire template during character creation to trade dots of Humanity for experience points. This trade-in reflects some heinous past behavior the vampire engaged in and learned from (accounting for the added experience points), but which also scarred her deeply (explaining the loss in Humanity). Players may sacrifice one dot of Humanity for five experience points, dropping their characters' Humanity scores to as low as five (for a maximum of 10 extra experience points).

Quoted to bring to the ST's attention - will this be OK?

I don't have trouble with people lowering their humanity if they're going to be doing inhuman acts and just want to get the degeneration out of the way early, though I won't be giving xp for it. Basically the point of lowering your humanity at creation is to avoid the risk of insanity that comes with it if done normally.

Archived