Aberrant: 200X - 2010 Migration (FOR REAL THIS TIME!)

Seph OOC

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts exactly, but by the charter we created we allow unlimited 2018 reboots, that goes counter to the idea of less characters = better quality. I don't think we can legislate a change to that at this point. It would be nice if people would voluntarily recognize the problem though and self-regulate.

How about spacing it out and not letting the ports or extra slots start until the three month mark? That'll give time for people to be set with the character's they've already brought in and know if they even want to bring another in or want to retire a character concept that went flat for them. That way you can still allow the 2010 ports but with a spaced out introduction, those of us noobs get another slot for fairness, and the boards aren't flooded with new characters while still getting the first crop situated and running smoothly.

Quote:
I am still opposed for slots for any 2010 migrations. This is 2018 rebooted, 2010 migrations should be treated as new characters.

I agree as well.

The Fool,
I don't think that would be possible. I would love to see the level playing field, but the whole reason for this board was proposed in the first place was for rebooting the 2018 characters.

I will ask the 2018 reboot folks though. Out of curiosity, would any 2018 folks object to limiting the number of characters you reboot, or would you folks be willing to limit the number you can reboot in the first year? Is this an idea that would cause much suffering or heartache?

Just to note I agree with the spirit of limiting character numbers. As has been pointed out you can only write for so many anyways. Its just that 200x seems poised to become the main OpNet style forum on these boards so favoring the "old guard" is discouraging for newcomers.

If we do cap it, then please cap it at 3. otherwise I'm not too concerned about the disparity between the "old" guard and the "new" guard. yes it's not fair but life isn't all that fair anyways.

Besides, there is an easy loophole in the bible for you new guard to exploit if you are at all clever. I'll leave you to puzzle it out. smile

I dunno, life may not be fair but that's precisely why I like to game. If gaming was soooo much life real life there wouldn't be too much of a point yeah? smile

Anyways:

Quote:
NUMBER OF CHARACTERS

Each writer will be allowed to create characters of two kinds: "rebooted" OpNet 2018 characters, and new characters created specifically for the 200X era.

There is no limit to the number of rebooted 2018 characters who may be written into the 200X era. This is by design to encourage re-imaginings of the 2018 characters. Each writer will be limited to no more than one new character to be created within the first thirty days of the new era. Additional new characters may be introduced at the rate of no more than one per calendar year per writer, including 2008. New character credits do not roll over into subsequent years.

Characters hastily created in the waning weeks of a calendar year to avoid "losing" a character credit will be looked upon with a baleful eye.

Example: The writer Nova_OOC could create re-imagined versions of her OpNet 2018 characters "Flicker," "Mithril," and "Flea" at any time. She could further create one new character within the first 30 days of the era's opening. Beyond that, at any point in 2008 she could create one more new character. The total number of characters Nova_OOC could have in play by the end of 2008 is five: three reboots and two new ones.

If there is a loophole in there then paint me silly becuase I sure don't see one. I suppose I could introduce the character on 2018 and then port them iommediately but I know its been discussed and would be looked down upon.

A little more fairness please...

I knew of that "loophole" previously and I can't imagine why Jason Grant would have even brought it up. Back ontopic it does nothing to address the "equality in posting" clause that I would like to see put in.

And no, saying life isn't fair isn't going to cut it.

Sorry, not my intention to represent any mistreatment. So far as I can see everyone has been treated fairly well here.

What I have said and I'll say it again is that this seems to be the main forum on the site now that is getting the most airplay, as well as taking over most of the play that was going on in 2018 (as it was designed to).

I am just saying that since this is the mainly used forum now, to make it more accesible and inviting to newcomers by NOT slanting things so in favor of reboots. I am all in favor of the reboot. I just want to see an equal balance for people who have never played in ANY forums and who would now like to.

Speaking for myself, I have known about the forum type OpNet style play here at RPG-Post for YEARS...but have always felt too intimidated to jump in. Now that I am finally curious and informed enough to jump in I think the heavy slant in favor of old-timers (via unlimited reboots) to be...well...unfair.

Again, it would be nice to have an equal number of slots for all, for myself and others like myself. Note that I am unlikely to start with more than one maaaaaybe 2 at the most when I finally figure out who it is that would be fun to play in this format...

I hear you TF, and it may not be 'fair', but the original objective of this board was to provide a reboot of 2018. In a way, the rest of us noobs are just along for the ride. Like I've said though the answer is not to give out more slots, it's to limit the over all number. Several of the 2018 folks have said that they like the idea of limiting the number of reboots so maybe we can pursue that as part of the discussion here. I don't think it would be fair to those who have rebooted more than 2 2018 characters to be suddenly they have to delete them, but perhaps we can limit the reboots to 2 this year and over all number of total characters to 4 or 5. Does that sound fair to people?

Originally Posted By: The_Fool
Sorry, not my intention to represent any mistreatment. So far as I can see everyone has been treated fairly well here.

Never said it was, just looking for clarification, that's all. It's all good.

Quote:
I am just saying that since this is the mainly used forum now, to make it more accesible and inviting to newcomers by NOT slanting things so in favor of reboots. I am all in favor of the reboot. I just want to see an equal balance for people who have never played in ANY forums and who would now like to.

Okay, I can see where you coming from and I certainly smell what your stepping in but I can't see why you feel its a viable argument.

Any player that bases their level of participation on how many slots they have (i.e. characters in the bank) is missing thew whole point of what we do here. This isn't supposed to be a competition to see who can have the most or coolest characters. If it were then I'd have won ages ago because my characters rock and roll all day long sweet Suzy. It's okay my fellow writers, one day you'll be as cool as me, maybe...

When I first arrived here obviously everyone had more characters than me. Not only that but I'd never participated in something like this before. I mean fiction writing?!? Pshaw, fuck that. The people here took the one character that I made and helped me make him into something that I'm pretty god damn proud of. From that one character they've helped me write better, given me ideas, and encouraged me to take a step into an experience that on the whole has been an absolute riot and truly enjoyable.

They've also been complete pains in my ass. smile

Quality over Quantity dude. Don't worry what everyone else has, worry about what you have and you can bring to the 'table'.

Quote:
Speaking for myself, I have known about the forum type OpNet style play here at RPG-Post for YEARS...but have always felt too intimidated to jump in. Now that I am finally curious and informed enough to jump in I think the heavy slant in favor of old-timers (via unlimited reboots) to be...well...unfair.

Again, it would be nice to have an equal number of slots for all, for myself and others like myself. Note that I am unlikely to start with more than one maaaaaybe 2 at the most when I finally figure out who it is that would be fun to play in this format...

In my honest opinion were this my show I'd tell you quit your bitching and come back when you actually have a character to add to the mix and I'd give you a say then.

But it's not my show.

You haven't even tried to introduce a single character yet and your telling everyone else it's unfair for them to have XXX amount of reboots? C'mon seriously, this place was made for 2018 reboots so it's obvious that 2010 characters are going to cost a slot. It's also obvious that that slot will not be a 'freebie' based on the previous posts concerning the topic.

Quit complaining so much and just 'play' the damn 'game'. You'll be happier, you'll see.

To be blunt, this section of the forums was not, to my knowledge, created to replace or supplant any of the other areas. It was also specifically not created as either a democracy or an all-inclusive banana-sticker-awarding hugfest in which everyone possible should participate.

Nova came up with the idea for this section (and I hope she'll correct me if I'm wrong) as an area for those jaded with the gods of 2018 and the overflow of characters from 2010, a place for those whose tastes and ideals coincide with the stated goals and philosophy of this section to write and interact. That does not, and should not, mean that everyone on the boards must be satisfied or content with its operation or the activities of the players and characters.

Quote:
And no, saying life isn't fair isn't going to cut it.

"Life isn't fair" cuts it pretty cleanly, I think, because it's true. Anyone is welcome to write in this section, provided they obey the rules and do their best to cooperate. If someone is unhappy with this, it's my belief that it is their responsibility (not that of the collective group of authors participating) to resolve the matter or find another section/game in the forums which caters to their needs and which they can enjoy.

Nova has been gracious enough to pioneer this area for our use and enjoyment (and hers!), and to listen to our suggestions. Ultimately, however, the decision is not ours, and the prevailing attitude should not be one of entitlement, but gratitude.

That being said, and on to the actual issue...

I have no problem with 2010 reboots. They should, however, cost a character slot, and I don't think that extra slots should be made available. As it's been said before, not all characters will (or should!) be re-booted into 200X, and those that are will likely take some time to develop before they're introduced. I also happen to think that the long-time players (and I apologize, because I know this will sound elitist), who have been active and supported the site over the years and throughout its various incarnations, should have the potential to create/re-introduce more characters. The newbies are not being excluded or punished, because all of us have the same number of slots available for new characters, and (realistically) there are only so many characters that can be authored by one writer at a time. I don't think adding new character slots to make things "fair" is necessary, because I don't see anything unfair about the current system.

Quote:
"Life isn't fair" cuts it pretty cleanly, I think, because it's true. Anyone is welcome to write in this section, provided they obey the rules and do their best to cooperate. If someone is unhappy with this, it's my belief that it is their responsibility (not that of the collective group of authors participating) to resolve the matter or find another section/game in the forums which caters to their needs and which they can enjoy.

Im not sure but there seems to be a bit more attitude in your post than I would like. To those who have said so 200X is a reboot of 2018. However that is beside my point. My point is that if one wants to play one must go to where the action is and for newcomers to the forum, they will naturally want to play where the most is happening. The "old-guard-rules-if-you-dont-like-it-tough" attitude is going to discourage new people from joining. Maybe you cant fathom that but when a game or story has so much history you cant even begin to catch up an olive branch to the noobs works wonders to establish a welcoming environment.

I feel that this *may* be part of why there seems to be more antagonism presnt on this site than over at EON. People here seem more hardcore vested in staking and defending their "turf" rather than creating an egalitarian approach.

Having said all that and having tried to explain myself in as many different ways as I can think I am going to take Revenant's advice and rest my case. I think Ive been pretty clear and well spoken and there is little more I can say. I will focus on creating and being content with whatever characters I am allowed and leave those who feel smug in their old-guard priveleges to enjoy that self-satisfaction.

Olive branch? I've stuck out a whole olive tree. Even though it's supposed to be a reboot, I included the option to create all-new characters, I intentionally made it harder for myself to ban people, and now we're about to expand the scope of the area to include 2010.

And finally, despite my saying that you had blown your last chance to apologize and that you would "never, never, never, never, never" be allowed in, here you are.

So don't tell anyone you need an olive branch.

Quote:
Im not sure but there seems to be a bit more attitude in your post than I would like.

I have no reason to mince words with you, and I've long since passed the point in my life in which I feel it necessary to try to curry favor with anonymous posters on the 'net. If you perceive negative attitude, antagonism, or a lack of empathy or comprehension of the issues at hand, then that is entirely your prerogative. I do not post here for your pleasure, but for my own.

Quote:
Maybe you cant fathom that but when a game or story has so much history you cant even begin to catch up an olive branch to the noobs works wonders to establish a welcoming environment.

I feel that this *may* be part of why there seems to be more antagonism presnt on this site than over at EON. People here seem more hardcore vested in staking and defending their "turf" rather than creating an egalitarian approach.

Please. Don't insult my intelligence, or presume to make comments about what I can and cannot fathom.

As has been stated before, this section was not created to be egalitarian. This isn't antagonism, or elitism, but simple fact.

If it does not suit you, rather than expecting everyone to rally under your banner to change it, why not create your own section as others have done? Come up with a concept, discuss it with Chosen, and make it happen. It doesn't even have to be about Aberrant- Chosen's goal with the new site is to open up the opportunities for gamers of all genres, rather than limiting the population to the few games and forums that have been running previously.

Proactive behaviors elicit positive responses.

Ok, to get this back onto a more constructive track...

Proposal:

* Allow 2010 reboots.

* 2010 reboots will cost a new character slot.

* No new slots to be given out at this time.

* Limit the over all number of slots currently available to 4 (2 new, and 2 for reboots for those that can. If someone has already rebooted more than 2 they will be allowed to keep them.)

Any constructive comments or suggestions?

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox

Proposal:
* Allow 2010 reboots.
* 2010 reboots will cost a new character slot.
* No new slots to be given out at this time.
* Limit the over all number of slots currently available to 4 (2 new, and 2 for reboots for those that can. If someone has already rebooted more than 2 they will be allowed to keep them.)

Any constructive comments or suggestions?

I disagree with the bolded section. I don't think anyone's done it so far, but if there's someone with 3 reboots already, and the decision is made to limit reboot slots, the upper limit should match the highest number of reboots associated with one writer.

That might be unclear, so, clarification:

Writer A has rebooted one character.
Writer B has rebooted two.
Writer C has rebooted four.

The limit would be four.

Archived