Aberrant: 200X - 200X BIBLE: SECOND DRAFT in this thread. Discuss.

Nova OOC

THE BIBLE OF THE 200X ERA

(SECOND DRAFT 21FEB08)

SUMMARY

The 200X era is to be a re-imagining of the 2018 forum, using similar characters as often as possible. The excesses of 2018 are to be avoided. The setting will rely on the goodwill and the cooperation of the writers as a group, backed up by a small number of moderators who will have executive veto and the right to intervene in disputes or nascent disputes.

200X is not a game to be won. It is a storytelling environment in which writers may create stories and interact IC within an established framework. We are not players. We are writers.*

Originally Posted By: Jack
Rules don't prevent players from being disruptive. (. . .) Once a player begins to use a character disruptively, regardless of the story that player says they are trying to tell, no one else is part of that story. Why allow a player who obviously cares so little for the rest of the troupe – troupe being everyone in this thread - to take part in the stories of the troupe. Internal consistency is one thing but a player that cares for nothing but his or her characters and his or her stories isn't part of the troupe. So don't treat them as if they are.
Originally Posted By: Michael McGee
I do think that the best structure is one that emphasizes the story part over the rules, but I don't think we should do away with them. If nothing else, they make a good point-of-entry for new players, who may not understand the complexities of forum interaction and politics but who can easily grasp "don't go over this number."

THERE ARE ONLY THREE RULES

Rule #1: Participation in the 200X setting is voluntary. Those who are disruptive and uncooperative will be ejected and asked not to return.

Rule #2: We will cooperate with each other and watch over each other. Disputes are to be settled among the writers whenever possible. If necessary, the moderators will intervene. Moderators may intervene pre-emptively to what they see as a developing problem.

Rule #3: See rule #1.

MODERATORS

The initial moderators are to be (in no particular order of precedence) Nova_OOC, Seph_OOC, and Mr. Fox. In any discussion among the moderators, the agreement of any two moderators will overrule the third.

Originally Posted By: Nova_OOC
the existence of moderators must not preclude discussion among the group. A moderator serves the writers, and is there to ensure that the largest number of people possible are enjoying the site. It must always be that way. A moderator who does it the other way around is a tyrant.

CANON SETTING

The 200X era is to use the contemporary calendar date and will move forward at the rate of one unit of real time = one unit of era time.

If you want to know the date and time in the 200X era, look at the calendar at the lower-right corner of your Windows desktop, or top-right corner of your OSX desktop. Linux users just do whatever it is you do. You're better than everyone else anyway.

The Slider assassination and subsequent formation of the Aberrants are to be treated in a way similar to the real-world assassination of President Kennedy. There is an accepted official explanation, yet a trememdous number of consipracy theories exist and are debated with almost religious devotion. Despite all this theorizing, nothing concrete is ever resolved and no government agency will comment on them. Behind the scenes, the shadowy organizations that secretly run the world are frustrating the Aberrants at every turn, but allowing them to carry on publicly as a kind of safety valve.

The Night of the Long Knives, the Aberrant War and the end of the world as we know it**, and Trinity are not necessarily destined to happen.

Large-scale setting-altering events are to be executed via multi-author stories after being approved by a 2/3 vote of active writers, with the official call for vote to be posted by a member of the moderation staff. The voting period will last 168 hours (7 days) from the moment of the call for the vote. For the purposes of this section, an active writer is considered to be a single individual who has posted IC to either the 200X Fiction or the OpNet 200X forums within the 14 days preceding the call for the vote.

These large-scale stories are to be scripted in advance with a beginning, intended plot arc, and ending.

THE IC OPNET FORUM

The IC OpNet forum will be considered to be viewable by only novas. There will be one sticky thread which is visible to the public at large called "Ask a Nova" in which curious baselines may ask questions of novas. Participation in the "Ask a Nova" thread is optional.

Originally Posted By: Seph_OOC
Making the forums publicly viewable IC would be a bad idea: every post would sacrifice legitimacy for a positive public image. The idea is to have a place where novas can go to be themselves, not to simply provide another advertising outlet where they have to be "on". Also, many Terats wouldn't post there on principle: the N! is owned by baselines, after all. No character I've played or probably would be inclined to would post on such a forum.

NUMBER OF CHARACTERS

Each writer will be allowed to create characters of two kinds: "rebooted" OpNet 2018 characters, and new characters created specifically for the 200X era.

There is no limit to the number of rebooted 2018 characters who may be written into the 200X era. This is by design to encourage re-imaginings of the 2018 characters. Each writer will be limited to no more than one new character to be created within the first thirty days of the new era. Additional new characters may be introduced at the rate of no more than one per calendar year per writer, including 2008. New character credits do not roll over into subsequent years.

Characters hastily created in the waning weeks of a calendar year to avoid "losing" a character credit will be looked upon with a baleful eye.

Example: The writer Nova_OOC could create re-imagined versions of her OpNet 2018 characters "Flicker," "Mithril," and "Flea" at any time. She could further create one new character within the first 30 days of the era's opening. Beyond that, at any point in 2008 she could create one more new character. The total number of characters Nova_OOC could have in play by the end of 2008 is five: three reboots and two new ones.

2010 AND 2018

The 2010 setting is to be left as-is, for now. Characters from 2010 are not to be transferred into the 200X setting, because this will damage the 2010 setting and there is still debate over the meaning of several clauses in the 2010 charter. 2018 is to be left as-is. 2018 characters who are re-imagined in 200X may still be played in 2018 in their original form.

There is to be no attachment, cross-time movement, reality-shifting, or other mechanism for characters or IC knowledge to move from 2018 to 200X or vice-versa. 200X is an independent and separate reality.

NOVA POINTS

Characters are to begin with no more than 50 NP. A character may begin with fewer than 50NP and add NP up to the cap as justified by stories or IC interaction. The NP cap will be increased by 4NP on the first day of every February and August. Characters created after an increase in the cap will be entitled to use as many NP as the cap at the time of creation.

All increases in NP must be plausibly justified by a supporting body of fiction or interaction.

CHARACTER CREATION

By the book: Limited to 7/5/3 atts, 23 abs, 7 BGs, 15 BPs, and the current NP cap (initially 50NP). No more than 8 dots of permanent taint may be taken at the time of character creation. Fractions of NP earned by taint are to be rounded AGAINST the character.

Quantum points will be handled differently in this setting than in the core rule book. Characters may have a starting Quantum of up to Q3 for no cost, but a score of Q4 or Q5 must be purchased with bonus or nova points. Characters created with a Quantum score lower than Q3 will receive extra bonus points (not nova points) which may be spent on attributes, abilities, specialties, or backgrounds. Five bonus points will be allotted to a character who is created with Q2, or ten bonus points for a character who is created with Q1.

Quantum scores will be limited to no greater than Q5 at time of creation. Advancement to Q6 will be available only by appeal to the moderators and must be supported by a compelling and robust justification. Submission of the request is not a guarantee of acceptance, and the submitter must be prepared for the possibility of a "no" response.

STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES

Despite being almost universally despised in the rulebook form, they will be included with the following limits:

-No shift in quantum levels or costs.

-No use of permanence.

MERITS AND FLAWS

Because of the potential for abuse, these are not to be calculated into the character sheet numerically. If one wishes to play a character who has these, go ahead and RP them. However, if it is done to excess, the other writers and moderators will notice and probably not be pleased.

Use merits and flaws responsibly and cautiously.

Well... I don't actually care if anyone uses them. But please don't waste my time telling me that you only took them for "character integrity" and didn't even notice the extra points you were gaining. Forego taking the extra points and I'll believe wholeheartedly in your character's integrity.

CHARACTER SHEETS

Character sheets for each character are to be posted and maintained accurately. No specific format is required, but the character sheet must be easy to read. Changes made to the character sheet should be explained in a footnote or closely-related post. (The way it is done in OpNet 2018, with a forum in which each character is a separate thread works very well.)

TAINT

High taint or aberrations must incur a significant social penalty. This must not be forgotten, and will be strictly enforced.

Taint is a quality of inhumanity which communicates a sense of unease or dread. This makes interaction with baselines difficult. It may be temporarily overcome by high social skills or appropriate powers, but there will still be lingering consequences after the fact.

Mega-social novas always forget things happen once the mega-socials are removed.

Body modifications which make a character appear inhuman are not to be considered in the same mechanic as taint-induced physical aberrations. While the nova is physically altered in both circumstances, only taint produces that specific unsettling and indescribable sensation of unease in others.

SPECIAL EFFECT

Available to all nova characters is a body modification called Special Effect. This body modification has a cost of 0 NP. This body mod provides no mechanical advantages, no mechanical disadvantages, and is purely for visual aesthetics. The effect goes away when the nova dorms assuming the nova can do so, and writers may write appropriate reactions to the body modification as they desire.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
I dated a girl with pink hair in college. She was cute and the hair color was a fashion statement. Didn't creep me out. In fact my parents actually liked her, and that is the true test of whether the hair color was taint induced or not!

Point is, small things like hair color are not going to freak people out, no need to discuss them if they aren't taint derived. If they are taint derived they aren't going to cause much reaction.

PUNY HUMAN RULE

The optional rule "Puny Human" is in effect. It is impossible to be kicked to death by spiders.

CONSENT AND THE MESSING-UP OF OTHERS

The consent system in OpNet 2018 mostly works and will be copied wholesale into 200X. The main difficulty in OpNet2018 is that 30NP characters could use consent as a shield and taunt near-gods with impunity, rather than being smeared into a fine red paste. With the narrowing of the power spectrum in 200X, this should be less of a problem.

Combat is permitted when the participants are willing. If you don't want someone to get the urge to smear your character into a fine red paste, don't kick him/her in the groin. See rule #1.

Originally Posted By: Dave
Combat is difficult because it needs something some of us overlook: a script. This is not the best environment for dice rolling or number crunching. If you feel the need to scuffle with another character (and the opponent agrees) then you two need to take a moment and decide how the battle will be played out. Decide a winner, decide how much damage you're going to cause, is death an option. We're adults, and damn intelligent ones too, there's no reason why it should be difficult to script a battle.

Forget the powers, enhancement, and everything else. Those are filler. All they are for is to make the fiction a good read. Be respectful to the players you battle. If you've been decided the winner then don't just wipe the floor with your opponent and protray attacks bouncing off you. It's a battle of novas for crying out loud, make everything sound as epic (as) possible.

In the end it's about having fun and telling a story, just like at home at the table.

----------

(* I am not lisping.)

(** I feel fine.)

Nova_OOC's informal commentary on the changes to the 200X Bible:

I'm going to editorialize a bit in this post. Don't take it personally, unless the voices in your head are telling you that I am absolutely positively definitely aiming this directly at you and you alone, in accordance with the prophecy of the ancient kaballah.

-----

Despite the setting now being firmly rooted in the current calendar date, I still am overly fond of the designation "200X." The use of an X instead of a digit sets it typographically apart from 2010 and 2018.

-----

Rule #1 has been worded more politely. However, the original intent is unchanged.

-----

The canon setting section has been expanded to include a formal mechanism for making alterations to the setting.

------

The number of characters has been changed to further encourage the use of "rebooted" OpNet 2018 characters while still allowing every writer to create new characters as well. In case the section is overly vague, I'd like to explain once more that each writer may create one "new" character within the first 30 days of the opening of the new era, and one "new" character at any time in each calenday year. You could make a new character on day one, and another new character on day one. You could make a new character on day one, and another new character on day 95. You could even make a new character on day 29.9995, and another new character on day 86.pi.

First 30 days: one new character.

From the time the forum opens until we all kiss at midnight on 31Dec08: one more new character.

No matter what, though, I still have a bad feeling I'm going to be explaining this section all week.

-----

The inclusion of 2010 characters is not a settled issue. It is likely that it will not be settled by the time 200X goes live. I'm okay with that. We can make up our minds later and begin the migration at that time-- should we even choose to do so.

-----

The starting NP cap has been left at 50NP. Starting permanent taint has been bumped up to a max of 8. Wargear's excellent suggestion for higher starting quantum or increased BP has been included. These should provide the necessary tools for those who want MOAR POWAR.

Quit bitching.

-----

The distinction between body modifications which make you look weird, taint which makes you vibe weird, and aberrations which make you both look and vibe weird has been clarified.

-----

Michael McGee's excellent 0NP cosmetic body mod has been included.

-----

Thank you for your patience. I said that I'd have this posted within 24-48 hours. It's been 39. I had a deadline and I delivered, despite working full-time and being the recipient of a right furious motherfucking this week. Bear that in mind when you go postal on my ass and tell me that I've ruined the world. Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Could this be defined please?

Do you mean using weaknesses to lower the level of a power (from Level 2 to Level 1, or by lowering the Quantum minimum of a power (Quantum Imprint being lowered from Qmin 5 to Qmin 4)?

There are so many 'levels' I thought a quick explination was needed.

Overall it looks good.

It is shaping up nicely. I foresee a few additional tweaks before the final version is resolved, but I shall not mention what tweaks have been foreseen, for they are unlikely to have any significant impact on me. Plus, that way, no matter what happens, I can claim I foresaw it and impress you all with my prescience.

One matter of vague, theoretical concern: If 200x intends to address the issue of swarms of forgotten phantom-characters, putting some kind of limit on numbers of characters who can be imported from 2018 may be worth considering. I only have 2 or 3 myself, so this suggestion is mostly me being a busybody.

Also, I seem to recall someone mentioning earlier on in the discussion the possibility of allowing some (story-justified) character-restatting, to partially counterbalance the relatively slow rate of progression. Presumably, a character who found itself 'practicing' a lot with one power, and not using another power at all, might issue a request to shift points from the unpracticed one to the practiced one, or something like that. Is there still any interest in that?

Edit: One more thought:

Should there be any particular policy on merging in-game events with actual-reality events? Playing the game in real time gives some potentially interesting opportunities to grab ideas right out of the news. On the other hand, having to keep track of where history has diverged and where it hasn't could be complicated.

Should we include a system to introduce non-canon mechanics later, like enhancements (as mentioned in Dawn's thread)? I don't think we need to get a concrete "yea" or "nay" on whether to allow specific things yet, but a way to get things proposed/approved might help later on.

I also disagree with the section on Merits and Flaws, but it's a matter of personal preference- some of the Merits have beneficial mechanical effects that ought to be codified on the character sheet and should not, in my opinion, be purchased without cost. I'd really rather see Merits purchased with BP, and Flaws (which have detrimental effects) freely taken, with the understanding that they must also be roleplayed appropriately.

Originally Posted By: Revenant
Quote:

Originally Posted By: Fortune's Son
Strengths and Weaknesses: You want to link things? Go ahead. Knock yourself out. But no shift in quantum levels or costs.

Actually, I used Jack's suggestion without completely understanding what he meant. Imagine my embarassment.

Jack! A little help here?

Originally Posted By: Xeno
Should there be any particular policy on merging in-game events with actual-reality events? Playing the game in real time gives some potentially interesting opportunities to grab ideas right out of the news. On the other hand, having to keep track of where history has diverged and where it hasn't could be complicated.

I think that would be far, far too complex for the intended aims of this setting. Sorry.

Originally Posted By: Velvet
Should we include a system to introduce non-canon mechanics later, like enhancements (as mentioned in Dawn's thread)? I don't think we need to get a concrete "yea" or "nay" on whether to allow specific things yet, but a way to get things proposed/approved might help later on.

I like the "get everyone together in a discussion thread and talk about it" mechanic. smile
Quote:
I also disagree with the section on Merits and Flaws, but it's a matter of personal preference- some of the Merits have beneficial mechanical effects that ought to be codified on the character sheet and should not, in my opinion, be purchased without cost. I'd really rather see Merits purchased with BP, and Flaws (which have detrimental effects) freely taken, with the understanding that they must also be roleplayed appropriately.

Merits purchased with BP. Interesting idea. People! What do you think?

Quote:
Merits purchased with BP. Interesting idea. People! What do you think?

I'm definitely for it. If you want the mechanical effect rather than just rping something there is no reason we couldn't allow Merits to be purchased with BP. I've never seen any abuse of merits, just flaws.

Quote:

Originally Posted By: Nova OOC
Actually, I used Jack's suggestion without completely understanding what he meant. Imagine my embarassment.

Jack! A little help here?
Revenant hit this on the first try. While Strengths and Weaknesses are almost universally disdained with some justification, there were some players concerned their character's power concepts couldn't be described without resorting to strengths and weaknesses. My answer was people should feel free to use the material for descriptive purposes but not expect a change in the quantum level of a power, or quantum minimums required, based on limitations. If a player wanted to Link two powers then by all means the should be able to Link the powers, but it begins and ends as a description for how the powers work.

This reflects the same feelings I have on Merits and Flaws, which Velvet far more eloquently expounded on in this thread. Basically, if you gain an advantage then you pay for it. If you take a disadvantage to reflect a character concept then you did it for the joy of character integrity rather than as a as a way to scrape a couple of points.

Does that make sense?

As an added clarification: the rules for Strengths/Weaknesses state that taking 3 levels of weakness allows you to purchase an Extra for 3 NP without raising the power's level, while taking 5 levels of weakness lowers the power by 1 level. My understanding was that this was what was being referred to.

Just making sure so it's not overlooked... Buying individual suite powers from a power above the ability of the board to purchase is okay or not?

Real 2018 example for ease of demonstration:

Regina Newcastle was Q5 (if I remember correctly.)

Bio-manipulation of course is Level 3, Q 6 requirement.

Thus outside the realm of purchase as a power in 2008'

She purchased 2 techniques from Bio-manipulation rather than the Bio-manipulation Power... It's more or less by the Main book. That would be okay, or not okay?

Originally Posted By: Lou Anne Burgess
Just making sure so it's not overlooked... Buying individual suite powers from a power above the ability of the board to purchase is okay or not?

Real 2018 example for ease of demonstration:
Regina Newcastle was Q5 (if I remember correctly.)
Bio-manipulation of course is Level 3, Q 6 requirement.
Thus outside the realm of purchase as a power in 2008'

She purchased 2 techniques from Bio-manipulation rather than the Bio-manipulation Power... It's more or less by the Main book. That would be okay, or not okay?

As long as we're not purchasing Level 4 suite powers as Level 3 Stand alone powers, this should work fine as per the core book.

I'd advise disallowing Level 4 powers falling under this umbrella. Otherwise, what is to stop a player from purchasing all the techniques from the Level 4 power individually? They effectively would get most of the benefits of the suite, usually at a more powerful version since it is stand alone, and not need the required Q6 or higher to get it.

I see that more as a loophole.

I think it would work fine for Level 3 suite powers though.

I don't think that's wrong Priest. I was always under the impression that staking a suite power as a stand alone didn't lower it's Q-Min.

Regarding Merits: I have no problems with people using their BP to purchanse Merits.

Regarding Strengths & Weaknesses: I think everyone should remember that according to these rules, certain characters will either be unable to be rebooted or will need heavy retooling to hit these rules. I'm not advocating changing these rules regarding S&W but I did want to shine a light on what may be a frustration for someone trying to reboot a character. Just some food for thought.

Canon source and page # please?
Short answers: Aberrant core book, various pages with an additional section in the AB: Players Guide.

Long answer:
There isn't, to the best of my knowledge, a section that describes in detail how to do it and what is allowed. Rather, there are sections that talk about how suite powers work and adapting powers into and out of suites. Most of the information is inferred by taking the actual examples of what they've done and reverse engineering it. For example comparing the quantum bolt to the lightning bolt slot of Weather Control.

And honestly, the potential for pulling slots out of Q4 powers to use as stand along Q3 powers is what I was most concerned with when I wrote out my opinions on the subject. Mechanically there is no reason it should be impossible. In play, the Q4 powers, even as written for a slot, are not really balanced for Q3 power play IMHO.

I really don't want people using strength/weakness as a back-door way to get a level 4 power without having Q6. That would defeat the intended purpose of making Q6 available only through petition to the moderators. The Q4 powers, even just one technique of a mastery power, are overpowered for the setting at the outset. Write some stories, show everyone that the character really is a godling, and petition for Q6 later.

Remember, one does not have to use all 50NP immediately. I strongly recommend holding a few NP in reserve for character growth in the interim between the semiannual NP cap increases.

Some characters will be harder to adapt to 200X from 2018 than others. This is by design. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

In the morning I'll mull over what was discussed in this thread and post the final draft of the 200X Bible. If there are no objections, that draft will be re-posted again Sunday as the official draft, and I'll petition Chosen for a new section of the website to be made.

Soon. . .

Originally Posted By: Ashnod
Purchasing a suite technique stand alone can lower the quantum requirement.

Canon source and page # please?

Personally, I allow it in my TT games but I've never seen a canon source specifically state it's permitted.

Core book, page 178:

In general, when altering powers, try to balance one parameter against another. For example, maybe you want a Quantum Bolt that has incredible range, but loses energy as it travels; if so, buy a normal Quantum Bolt, increase its maximum range, but dictate that the blast loses damage effect as it travels outward. If you character has a stronger or weaker version of a power - for example, claws that extend 30 feet and can slice diamond, or only the EMP technique of the Magnetic Mastery power - increase or decrease the power's level accordingly. And, of course, Storyteller permitting, you're free to create your own powers; simply compare your creation to the listed powers, decide if it's Level 1, 2, or 3 and run with it.

Biomanipulation is in a rather precarious position. It's a Q6 minimum, but it's a Level 3, not a Level 4 power. This is really up to the ST to decide, but if you take a single power from Biomanipulation, either you decrease the Q6 requirement or you make it a Level 2 power. I'd rather decrease the Q minimum to 5 than make it Level 2, considering what it doesn't isn't all that much different than Healing at Q4 or Molecular Manipulation at Q5 . Having someone spend 2 Quantum Points to activate a Q6 power seems awfully cheap by comparison. Of course, you could say you could take it stand alone at Level 3/Q6 but there's absolutely no benefit to taking it then - you might as well have the full Biomanipulation suite if Level or Quantum Requirement isn't going to be affected.

This is how, I'm sure, that Bounty can affect fertility without being included in the canon material as one of the Q6 novas.

Quote:
This is how, I'm sure, that Bounty can affect fertility without being included in the canon material as one of the Q6 novas.
Agreed.

Many of the pieces of Bio-manip are already known powers anyway. Healing, Bolt, Poison, etc.

Something else is some techniques probably stay at the q-min level of the main power. Anything from the "Supreme" powers for example.

And there's a few techniques should remain the original level. Bio-storm from Enthrapy manip is by my math a level 3 power even as a stand alone power.

Archived