Mutants & Masterminds: Heroes United - [Heroes United] Game world information

Justin OOC

The world we know continues largely as it always has. The sun rises in the east, and sets in the west. Politicians lie and the tax man always collects. It might seem a little boring, but hey it's simpler this way.

Here's the big kicker to the world though, Metahumans. This term is a catchall for any entity with powers far beyond the scope of human capability. Metahumans are still somewhat rare, since their first manifestation two years ago. New York City seems to have a larger than average number of Metahumans, leading to many conspiracy theories, mostly considered hogwash.

New York City is still a beautiful city, with a dark side, but thanks to the heroes, this is being changed. Still crime happens and the heroes cannot be everywhere.

There hasn't been enough time for major Metahuman-spawned technical advancement on a global scale, though individual metahumans may have designed or created advanced technology for their own uses/

The US government is acutely interested in such cases, as already we've seen some offensive systems deployed that could be disastrous if they're mass produced.

To date no metahuman has purposely revealed themselves as what they are.

Okay, to clarify:

1) ALL metahumans activated powers 2 years ago? Are any more recent?

2) No metahumans have revealed themselves publically as metahuman at this point? No one's stepped up and said, "I'm Tom Thompson, and I shoot fire beams from my nostrils?" Or whatever. :)

3) How can there be metahuman-induced technological advancement if the inventor is anonymous? I mean, I could see individuals making themselves devices, or even giving some away, but technological development...even from a working prototype...requires teams and research and lots of stuff that would be hard to imagine if the person who understood it (the only person) was unknown.

4) What level of public awareness is there for the existence of metahumans at all?

no Max, the first appearance was two years ago, but new ones have continued to show up since then.

It's conceit but yes, nobody's done this. Something to the effect of liability for collateral damages and such, and sparking paranoia and xenophobia.

I was just clarifying that the technological level of the world is the same as it is now. There's no super government agency with a flying air craft carrier, hover cars, endless power armor and laser rifles that shoot around walls. and so far no super death lasers that can etch a face on the moon.

The public is aware of metahumanity. There's a 70/30 like/dislike ratio, mostly as metahumans have proven beneficial to humanity The 30? is given due to the actions of the villains, and some of the fears arising from the abilities they have, that others could exist like them..

((Prepare yourself for ANOTHER blizzard of questions!!!))

Since the public is aware of metahumans, and has been for 2 years, then;

1) can we assume that the major news networks, news blogs, and other such info-feed sites are absolutely buzzing with activitty whenever one comes to light?

2) are there strange/obsessed hobbyists (or extremely nosy reporters) who now determinedly try to track these people down and expose their secrets to such degree that we specifically stay out of public notice to avoid them.?

3) bounties/rewards for the identity of whatever super is responsible for some lagre-scale act of heroism, how prevalent is that?

4) you mentioned that we woudl be in a situation similar to that of the Avengers (whcih IS a sponsored organization), so does that mean that all known supers have been solo cases thus far (villains too)?

5) marketing/merchandising... who is cashing in on the images of a super in our profit-obsessed nation? Do anonymous supers have myspace pages or twitter accounts similar to that seen in Kick-ass?

6) can we assume that at least 1 super-villain has been brought to justice, and if so where did they put that guy? If they have a place to put such beings, do we know about it?

7) our military gets the lion's share of all attention from the government, so there is no way they can resist trying to recruit/draft a super into their fold. Have they been making any overt attempts at this? Does the collective alphabet soup (FBI, CIA, NSA) devote resources to tracking supers down as they are in fact a potential threat to national security, or do they go out of their way to hide the activities of proven heroes as a public service?

8) glory-hounds and media-whores, are any of the known supers under such catergories? Peopel who might appear on talk-shows, or give interviews in papers just for the exposure?

9) apocalyptics. Is there any kind of massive religious outcry regarding these empowered beings?

that'll do for now

1) There is a buzz, but it dies pretty fast, barring it being a major event. Currently there's only about 10 or so recurring heroes making headlines around the world.

,, ,,

2) YES

3) Yes

4) There is no "Known to be sponsored" team of supers out there. The first story will be the forming of the team of the PC's

5) because the heroes are anonymous, they're not capitalizing like we are familiar with in aberrant. The Toy and collectible companies are having a field day. as the internet is easier to be anonymous on, I expect blogs and such would be commonplace.

6) actually Two major villains and many lesser ones have. as far as a prison, it's unknown where or how they're being incarcerated.

7) You can be fairly certain of this. Though with the public's general favor, moves against the metahuman community, especially the heroes, largely occurs quietly. It is safe to say that once you do something very public with your abilities, the government uses what resources it can to track you, however bueracracy works in your advantage here.

8) There are, but none have gone so far as to reveal themselves (their secret identities)

9) most definitely. Any Angelic, or Demonic looking metahuman tends to provoke some response from the religious community, and not always what one might expect. That said, this is a global effect, and there are about 500 metahumans at least who look nothing like a human anymore.

10) Not yet. There have been some, but they failed, and subsequently ended up looking like laughingstocks, most of the time they ended up saved by those they were trying to "bring to justice" There might be a low level local that tries, but virtually nothing on the national or global scale.

,, ,, ,, ,, ,,

I think these are all good questions, even if some of the answers might affect us at all in play; the Marvel Cinematic Universe really raised the bar on realism in a superhero setting, and so some ground rules on the how far the game world has departed from the real world are a good idea. And since metahumans are such a new part of this world, some of these questions are very relevant. All that being said, I am eager to leap in feet first!

Question. Comics. Do they exist, in a similar form to what we have now? Were there X-Men and JLA comics and now there are real life superheroes? Would a superhero in a metallic suit be compared to Iron Man? I'm not trying to recreate Tony Stark/Iron Man, but the fact that there are similarities and that I have to say "I'm not making Iron Man" means that there is some comparison.

Basically I'm having trouble coming up with a superhero name...

Archived