Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova OOC

Mr Fox

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kei, when I get back from work tonight, can we work together on an edit to Kitty and Kei's interaction? Kitty isn't going to snub Kei; she just had a Rob thrust in her face, which can be a very distracting and disturbing thing. She was going to approach Kei right after, in my next post, but due to timing and work and sleep, you have posted twice since my last post. Can we work something out tonight? Kitty's probably the second-nicest person on the boat after Karrie (joking! It's second nicest after Mariposa, actually). :D

Don't worry about it. If we do leave port Kei can bring you over with a simple call from you. Just be ready for a ride. (Don't bring too much I will attune. ^_^)

Will also bring a spare parachute and life jacket if you really need one. ^_^

Nice write up on the refugees Coyote. That was pretty much exactly what I was envisioning for them.

Glad to know I was picking up on the brainwaves. I just wanted something in writing for them; they were an important part of the world and not having them defined was leaving a blank space in my brain. Now I feel like I can use them in plot. :firedevil:

Justin, you can fix that remark about baselines. Made the necessary retcon to May's profile where she is a "Blip" Nova. Only a few mega attributes in mental, and otherwise quite human. She also changed her comment about baselines a few posts ago.

So just a edit to your post and everything is kosher.

Oh, May has a picture now.

Ok, so I've had a serious creativity slump over the last few weeks due to stuff happening IRL. (Car getting totalled, shopping for new car stress, work stress with some major projects coming due.)

Work, is getting back to normal in terms of stress levels. The car situation is now resolved, with a new Toyota Tundra in the driveway, that I'm really enjoying. There is still some stress in my life as the tight muscles in my neck and shoulders can attest to, but it's getting better now.

Unfortunately, after the initial 'cool, this Psi Cop looks fun', I've just had no inspiration at all for him. I do like what we came up with in regards to telepaths in the setting and most of them being touch only and having to be registered with the government. That all adds some tension and potential for conflict which is what makes good stories. Sadly, I'm just not finding any drive to write for Morgan. I think he would make a good NPC for the setting if you guys want to use him.

The good news, or bad depending on your perspective... The Jedi concept has really been growing on me, and depsite the fact that I haven't jumped in on any fics yet, I've got a good solid backstory and personality developed for him, one that is very different from the character that I played in Titan's game a while back.

If you guys are ok with it, I'd like to bring in the jedi character to the Cosmos Nova setting.

Clarification on a few points, then (if other players also concur):

May refugee characters have eufiber? If no, what is the reason that they don't have it anymore? One suggestion was that the eufiber colonies didn't survive in the new universe (with perhaps only those with neofiber or vampiric eufiber managing to hang on their colonies, and not allowed to PC refugees).

If eufiber is allowed to the refugee PCs, I would suggest limiting many of the other Backgrounds to three or less because of their refugee status (Contacts, Influence, Resources come to mind, also any Allies, Backing, or Followers from the CN timeline). Also, an automatic negative Reputation rating at 3 for being a refugee.

May refugee characters have been more powerful in their home universe? This is not a request for the PCs to have that power level in this universe; again, the theory being that any PC refugee have suffered a similar effect as the eufiber, knocking their power levels/quantum rating down when they came through.

Eufiber, I'd say no and the reason is that we've made such a big deal of players not starting with it and that it should be a big story in game. From a justification perspective, there are those that speculate that Buendia eventually becomes the Colony in the canon universe and the Eufiber is the means that he controls novas. With their creator being in another universe the eufiber colonies that come through wither away and die without their connection to their maker. Only vampiric eufiber would remain alive.

Backgrounds for refugees. We are setting the game about 5 years out from the date the Refugees came through so I'd say most backgrounds would be fine all the way up to 5, with the exception being Backing. That I would say would be limited to 3 at most because of the natural distrust that the Refugees inspire in the CN governments.

I wouldn't say they get limited powerwise by travelling between universes. Characters can be created up to 100 NPs and that's pretty powerful. The universe itself is different, it might be a bit less "quantum rich" since there hasn't been a Divis Mal or a quantum explosion back in the 20's to jack up quantum levels on Earth. That said, it isn't quantum weak either, it's just a normal world and with 5 years of novas being on the scene, it might be a little higher in quantum now than it was when they arrive, but we also have an almost equal number of Psiads running around to balance things out.

I'd say resources should be tamped down a little as well, since a lot of what the Nova owns as a refugee is either smashed and destroyed back home, or on their back.

A Refugee with 3 resources is about where the limit should be, since if the refugee brought some useful hard tech that wasn't q-tech, it would be well received (most likely taken for research) then either released through the public stream, kept in the government for their military to use, or sent to a university think-tank for further research and development.

I don't know about that. 5 years for a nova is a long time to accumulate wealth, especially since it is so easy to create for some novas... Molecular Manipulation, turn a pallet full of bricks into solid gold bars then spend a permanent willpower point to make it permanent and bam, you are very wealthy. Or a nova with Biz 5 and Mega Int could rule the stock market. A lucky or mega-perceptive nova in Vegas (before laws against novas gambling). There are just all kinds of ways for a nova to get the money. As for PCs though, I could see them having to justify anything over 3 or 4 resources. Just an explanation of "here's how I earned it" would be sufficient for me.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that any nova Refugee is fighting an uphill battle against being a second-class citizen due to the natural distrust that the governments feel towards them.

Not that it can't be overcome, but they will certainly be scrutinized more than any native.

I've put this to thought. And I feel people should have the freedom to realize they are mistaken. I was.

I thought that CN would be the telling of stories of our characters native to the world dealing with the other that has come to reside on our world. To have refugee PCs sort of eliminates the concept that I thought we were going towards.

I'm sorry, but I cannot abide by having refugee PCs in the game.

This is my POV on this.

I am extremely leery of allowing Refugee novas as PC's, especially Directive, Proteus, or Teragen. They should be relatively rare, and more than that, at or below the level of power of the PCs. If they are Refugee novas, I would further say that they are built the normal way, without theme benefits. No second or third gen novas at all.

They did not erupt in this world, they don't get the benefits of it.

As far as having been more powerful before coming over.... No, no way. Doesn't work like that.

It's a little frustrating to say "yes, you can play that concept but only if you're hobbled in comparison to everyone else".

There's no benefit in the game to playing a refugee - quite the contrary - and now a mechanical penalty is being applied as well. It really feels like an "okay, we don't feel we can say no, but you're not really welcome here."

On the note of second or third gen characters, refusing to allow that *as fluff* seems backwards. Wouldn't it be more likely for there to be second or third generation characters as refugees, as there's only been novas on the CN world for 5 years? I'm not talking about allowing apotheosis rules or even the clade mechanical benefits - nor am I looking to play a second or third gen nova - but allowing someone to play a second or third gen refugees made with the same chargen rules as any other character doesn't seem like it would break the game in any way.

Like Cayote, I'm more interested in writing than in dots, but I feel like this character concept is quite unwelcome in the game and is being penalized (through Mech's suggestion, not Fox's) because of that.

...I think I'm going to remove myself from this debate by this point. It's going to become an argument.

I'm going to keep my no vote and ask for others to weigh in. If I see this turning into anything other than any reasonable conversation I am pulling out of CN. I came here to collaborate and have fun. I'm not having the latter with this.

I'm starting to feel CN has a lack of vision and direction and that could kill this before it starts.

I will not rescind any part of my post, and reiterate my words.

If you do not feel your concept fits the game world with said penalty, then perhaps you should try playing something else.

If dots are truly unimportant, then the penalty has no bearing on you, does it not?

Mech/Justin - I didn't say I didn't think that character concept didn't fit the game. I do, or I wouldn't have asked about playing her. I feel that your suggestion to mechanically penalize the creation of the character was neither fair nor appropriate for the reason given. If a Refugee PC was being allowed anything that a Native PC was allowed (say eufiber), then some other penalty would be appropriate - which is why I suggested several. However, the Refugee character is already facing in-game difficulties that Natives are not. Adding mechanical penalties is just overkill in my opinion.

It's also not - for me - a matter of the dots, but of fairness.

Archived