Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova OOC

Mr Fox

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed - and note that this doesn't prevent people from tossing around ideas before they get put to the vote. The same back and forth to generate new ideas and such can still happen.

It just takes away the social pressure ... because under a formal system it really is OK to vote NO if one feels that the submission doesn't fit the game.

I think one of the things that hold us back is the fact that we don't want to say no because we might hurt someone's feelings.

If you want to submit something, put it up to a vote after you refine the concept. If you don't think you can, build a different character with the material provided.

That's how I feel, and that's what I think.

Hell, I'm seeing people trying to turn this into a CoQF lite.

Who? (I'm genuinely curious)

The game system, with the books we've allowed in is already incredibly rich.

It is also flawed, incomplete, and open to arbitrary decisions on any number of issues. One of the best things about the system is that, if you understand the underlying principles and spirit of the system, you can make custom powers.

It is my belief that most ideas for custom powers are just too convenient OOC substitutions for giving a PC something that already exists in the rules, and then using those tools to do the problem solving In Character.

Of course, there are some exceptions. Not every conceivable power exists. Most of that can be taken care of with the strengths and weaknesses system in the player's guide. That system should be the first place someone turns when looking for a custom power. I encourage people to use this system - its a great way to make your character special, to have something unique.

This I agree with. A custom power should only be resorted to if an existing one cannot be tweaked to fit. Most of the custom powers I myself have designed have been either higher level versions of existing ones (Like Energy Catalyst being a higher-powered Lvl 3, Q5 version of Absorption) or cobbled together using existing rules for powers with a comparable, but not identical effect (Like Radiant Aura, a combination of Alter (Raise) Temperature and Intensify Light, simulating someone radiating sunlight).

Failing that ... it should be a vote. The player who wants something brand new has to think about it first - and then submit precise rules text the way they want it to read. It has to be ready to go before submitted for a vote. Then, every other player gets one vote - yay or nay. If it doesn't get in, it doesn't get in. People DO NOT have to explain why they voted one way or the other. This may seem harsh, but it makes people think about putting in crazy new things before they submit them.

The big thing about such a voting procedure ... it is fair. Fair to all the players involved. Fair to those who don't want to - or can't - spend their time posting OOC arguments for or against powers. Its yay or nay, decision made.

Also very much agreed with. The player proposing the power should formulate it properly before releasing it for people to look at. It's one thing if someone says "Hmm, that looks good but change X" and another if people don't even know where to start fixing the mess.

As a rule of thumb, if there's more than one easily fixable flaw in a power-build, take it away and don't sully my eyesight with it again ;)

Agreed. I think this was something I wanted to bring across. And with new powers, it has to be unanimous. Not just a majority. Because this effects all of us.

I disagree. Unanimous votes should only be for major issues like setting, plot direction, and certain core mechanic house rules. A new power doesn't have that sort of scope - if everyone but player Z thinks the power is cool, and Player Z is a neckless sour ass who only thinks of new additions in terms of "Does this mean my character isn't uber?" then, to be perfectly blunt, screw Player Z.

A majority should be good enough. It;s enough brain-sweat and hard work to balance a new power or enhancement to pass a majority vote without giving it's creator the onus of pleasing every last voter.

Let's see... we got Rav, Varro, myself, jeremy, carver, fox, justin, 32, and george. So out of nine if we do a majority, we would need a 5 vote simple majority. Since it's a odd number the Majority +1 would make better sense. So not only is it a majority, but enough of a majority. I have to agree that perhaps a unanimous majority is just not reasonible.

I just hope everyone approaches this with a spirit of sometimes an opinion is the minority and that should be respected.

We need someone taking notes.

I would like to thank everyone for being warm and inviting, and putting so much effort into my custom power.

The custom power that you guys fixed for me is still a little dangerous, and given the above I would prefer not to play test it in CN (Though may be fun to play with in another game at a later date).

I am going to try to be as dedicated to this game as I can, but until I can prove to myself that I can make a positive ongoing contribution, I would prefer not to have a vote (ESPECIALY a tie breaker).

BTW, I will be away from my notes for a couple of days.

So you are going to recuse yourself from such votes as a "conflict of interest" situation?

I would like to see you weigh in on other votes not dealing with your situation. Also I hope that you indeed stick with things and your friend George as well. I personally would want everyone here to enjoy what we are going to do. It's just something as ambitious as this requires some ground-floor work.

I don't want you to feel like you shouldn't have a voice or don't. You do. Everyone does. Everyone will.

You have my word.

Also, everyone, I may have been slightly off on the CoQF reference. My apologies.

I had created a character based on a Jedi themed power set for Titan's game a while back. The jedi for this game (if I did that) would be based off the same premise, but would not be the same character... The events that made the character in that game what he became would not exist in this world so he would have a totally different focus.

Well, for one I'd hate to see Psi-Cop dropped. You had a solid premise with him and we should wait to see how George shakes out with a character.

Edit: I will be starting sketches next week. Whoever is feeling they got their character set let me know so I can start on your characters.

Finally: Can I get a little input on Kei. I feel she is where she needs to be now, but I like hearing suggestions.

I'd rather see us make a new power out of this instead of wrenching something else around to sorta make it fit. I'd toyed with this idea for a moment with Coyote before deciding I wanted her to be a pure inventor - the kind you give a gallon of milk, a toothpick and a bit of twine to, and she builds a warpgate. But I did put some thought into this, so let me lay out my thoughts.

First, this is a level 3 power with Q-min 5 (since the other creation powers are the same way). I was thinking that the dots in the power limited what powers you could buy according to this chart:

1 dot = level 1 powers

2 dots = level 1 powers with extras

3 dots = level 2 powers

4 dots = level 2 powers with extras

5 dots = level 3 powers

Pool would be Int + Quantum Invention

Next, successes allocate how many NP you get; 5 per sux sounds good to me.

You have 3 dots in the power and you get 3 sux on a roll. You have 15 NP to make a device with no higher than level 2 powers. So you want a ray gun; that's a Level 2 QB with 5 dots. The gun uses its users quantum pool and quantum rating. It lasts one scene, then fades.

Just an alternate suggestion.

Also - I am fine with the state of the gadget power thus far. However, I may have a different - perhaps better way to go:

Level 3 power: Q5, Matter Creation 2 min, Force field 2 min.

- Summon one device, as per the IE device rules, with a limit of one dot of device per dot in this power per use.

- Devices last for scene duration, a single scene. This is the maximum duration for this power.

- Devices must be approved by the ST staff, as per the device rules - same as the background.

- Devices created may not have the device power, or Q-construct - no chains.

- All devices are considered attuned to the creator while they exist. Thus, your attunement limit applies ... but within the scene and limits of total attuned mass they are effectively real.

Now this has some definet advantages over the previous model. Its easier to make devices. Devices can also easily include souped up versions of normal gear ... you actually might get more bang for your buck in some ways with a really good conventional machine gun, fast motorcycle, bomb, etc. It also falls more in line with the actual devices background.

Can we get someone to stitch this together for approval for 32's character then?

Sounds like Mr Fox still is concerned about overlap (though thanks for being willing to let me run with it), and Umiwashi and Cyote have their concerns about my character (I know it's hard colaborating on how megasocial and information manipulation work anyway). For the record I DO have him written up without any custom powers, I just like to tweak (and yes, tweaking is in the rules - but always with the concensus of GM and players) But especially since I'm relatively new to this style of gaming I may go for a simpler concept.

Would a lightning elementalist/speedster be stepping on anyone's toes? I think it comes closest to Kei's concept (quantum blast, flight - though to be fair probably 90% of novas have those powers) though more focussed on speed and lightning powers (megadex and mega wits as main megastats). Looking at bodymorph with density decreace and immolate (electical) and many of my powers only working during bodymorph. Maybe some basic electrical based transmit or a touch of cyberkenisis thrown in for variety (though I think I'll be more likely to develop those ones during game).

Hmm.. Just saw Telluris' character, maybe too close to that (I notice he has hyperflight and a bunch of elemental powers, not quite electical but...)... I could go the fleshcrafter concept, but the personalities keep turning out too twisted :P I'll sit on it a bit more....

Well, I've posted the basics for George Ray - subject to change. No custom powers (just a weakness on teleport), and (I think) minimal conflict with psi cop. the fleshcrafter idea keeps turning into a creepy villian (or at least a style that I don't feel like roleplaying heavily with as things are), and any other idea seems to overlap a lot more with the other chars.

I was loosely planning to have Telluris branch out along the 'electro' side of electromagnetics later on, but I'm happy to stop short of true Matrix-style Cyberkinesis and let that be someone elses bag. I'll probably pull the Electromagnetic Mastery power from the Companion (yes I know, read on) to pieces and build something decent out of it.

On another note, I noticed your posted character has Teleport with the weakness 'only to people hes met', but then also has Combat Teleport. How do you see that working? Is it just in the vicinity (10 ft or so) of people he knows?

I expect him to appear next to the person (usually stepping out from behind them). As far as his power goes, he was always there (in their mind) so it's a fairly subtle effect, but yeah it would teleport right next to them (literally stepping out of them, so more like touch range though with the style they wouldn't feel it, they'd just suddenly realize he stepped out next to them). So there's no way he can teleport away from an area attack if the whole group is in the area. I think it's a fairly limiting factor for teleport (can't go into a locked room without someone there, etc...), but if people think it's too "loose" for three points of weakness, I'm happy to change it to "allies/friends" or "someone non-hostile" as if someone WAS hostile, I expect they'd be mentally wary of me.

And for a note, with George Ray - I WANT to roleplay him with other psychics around, an ability like that would be booring without any competition. That could be filled with NPC's - but I'd like at least one other PC with telepathy, especially since I'm planning to have him not registered as a psychic (again, wondering what people think of his powers listed as "teleport, translate, communicate" - and if the communicate would be considered psychic or not - I could tweak it so the person "hears" him talk just as if he was in front of them, as opposed to a disembodied voice in the head - because in a way he IS there with them talking to them, given the power description).

And I haven't taken the weakness, because with psionics I think it's far less penalising than it is for teleport, but I still plan to stick with him only being able to contact and effect people who have met him (in person) because other people don't really have an idea of who he is - barring fame, which at the moment I'll assume as being too loose a connection, though I was thinking of that as an avenue of growth for the character, picking up the enhancement "screen presence" and having his "connection" with people go viral, probably still weakening based on the degree of seperation.

Ahh, and as I'm reading that I'm reminded of the other question - cipher representing not just that some powers are unlisted, but also that those powers are harder for people with quantum attunement to notice - as his power is more spread out and delocalised compared to other novas. If that doesn't work, are there any powers in the other books (other than dormancy) that conceal your quantum abilities? Again, none of those would destroy the character if people didn't like them, just trying ideas on ;)

Ahh, and as I'm reading that I'm reminded of the other question - cipher representing not just that some powers are unlisted, but also that those powers are harder for people with quantum attunement to notice - as his power is more spread out and delocalised compared to other novas. If that doesn't work, are there any powers in the other books (other than dormancy) that conceal your quantum abilities? Again, none of those would destroy the character if people didn't like them, just trying ideas on ;)

Blank from The New Flesh, p227. That provides some shielding from metasensory powers.

Hmm, toying with the idea of swapping "surreptitious" on the telepathy power for "merged" - but I suspect the difficulty penalty would cancel out any extra successes I would add, unless we can add more than two - though the power just says "another nova with the same power" the implication is unclear - can you merge with multiple other novas at once?

One thing I noticed was the Eufiber on your character... That's not something we are allowing to be bought at creation. Even afterward creation, acquiring it will require a story of it's own. Or at least that was my understanding from our discussions. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that folks.)

Normally in my games I allow people to buy things at creation that they don't actually have when the game starts, knowing that it will be acquired as play progresses, thus not having to spend the points later. That works well for things like resources where a character can easily get tons of them from all kinds of sources through the use of their powers. I don't think that same thing should apply to eufiber in this setting since it is ultra rare. Acquiring it should definitely be an adventure of it's own. The way we were discussing it was that you would literally have to kill to acquire it, or permanently spend 5 dots in resources and that would only be to get a 1 dot colony.

Beyond that one small thing, I will say that I like that you are focused power-wise on information manipulation in various forms. I don't think that makes for too much overlap. As long as the character didn't go around using telepathy right and left in game it would probably be ok.

The other thing was the 'getting close to people quickly' aspect. It's not that I am afraid of power overlap there. Its more the fact that my character from a stats perspective is not very likable compared to the other novas in the group. He is an Alfred Bester type of character, he's got average looks and charisma, but because he is Psi Cop people will naturally draw away from him out of fear of his telepathy (and he is ugly compared to the beautiful novas around him). So to counteract that I gave him Rapport 5, and with his mega perception, wits and manipulation thrown into the mix, it simulates that he can quickly put those fears aside when people meet him and they find themselves feeling comfortable with him despite What he is. He's not like Conner, a star that everyone automatically loves, nor is he a nova that attracts people by the very fact that he's a nova. They find themselves liking/trusting him despite their natural inclination. So from what you were describing before what I was afraid of was another character in the group that was doing basically the same thing, walking in and being instantly likable for inexplicable reasons. (that innate connection George has to the otherself inside them). You see where I'm coming from?

*sits back in seat*

Most people simply coordinate with others that they wish to include in a fiction. Since we have a group that is snapping into consensus, it might be a good time to coordinate the first adventure.

Usually one person is selected as the "ST" of the story, or the person that has a story becomes the "ST".

I know, ambitious huh?

Now, generally every person in IE has their own ways to handle events in CN. Since we are all sharing one universe, perhaps we should agree on the style and method of things like combat, durations of scenes out of combat, and the handling of NPCs.

Now personally here is how I handle things as The Professor...

Combat: Combat against "scrubs" is cinematic in favor of the players. Against primary NPCs, chief antagonists, and BBEGs it is rolled out normally. Same for PvP situations.

Scenes out of combat: I usually handle it where any QP spent for maintenance powers out of combat are upkept every in-game hour. this allows for easily calculation of movement power energy use out of combat.

NPCs: General NPCs for the scene are controlled by me, as well as any NPCs allied to my character. Other players with allies/followers control their NPCs owned through those particular Backgrounds.

In reguards to eufibre, I posted a while back that I was getting "eufibre attunement" if no-one objected, if you look I don't actually start with eufibre - just that my natural ability to align with other people also means I have a natural affinity for eufibre (even though in character I have no idea what it is). What that means in game - I have no idea, if I find/interact with some I'd probably notice and develop interest - though on the other hand, I could just as easilly have some botched vampyric eufibre latch on to me to keep itself alive. in any case - it allows for an affinity that could make the plot interesting.

As for the getting close to people question, I'm not quite sure what the concern is. You get people to like them, they like me "naturally" (though people know you're a psi, I conceal a few of my abilities - I should probably take the flaw "secret" or something - though I was waiting on feedback about whether communication is seen as telepathy - it depends on how broadly that power set is defined, but I'm happy to align myself with existing expectations in that area). We ARE both social types but with different style - I guess if you expect a "face man" for the group there may be competition there, though I think I'm a bit more geared towards crowds, and you're more geared towards individuals.

When I have some time, I'll type up a general character description too - including different levels of knowledge about his abilities.

Hmm... In terms of my role - I'm a diplomat, and are probably involved a lot in nova-government interactions - mostly around Australia. Depending on what 32 thinks, I'm looking at Australia being pretty shiny - on the surface at least - in terms of opinion of novas, and general behavior (low nova crime rate, low public resistance to novas), partly because George has been there recruiting people, smoothing bumps and such. Though it's entirely possible that a long term assignment to America is a cover up for people who want to get a few projects running behind his back while his attention is focused elsewhere. Just a few plot hooks ;)

As an aside - I'm opening a thread, pure fiction, for anyone in CN who is inclined to be in the lab. Because some of you are still working out numbers, this is a no-dice situation. There will be no rolls or rule-calls. It is purely just to let the scientist-types get to feel out each other's personalities, and for us to do the same for the characters. Because not everyone has their numbers set, I'd prefer people to not 'show off'. And yes, this is for the nerds. :D We outnumber you guys anyway! :P

Auh... Well if you need a test pilot let me know. ^_^

I'm cut-and-pasting this to preserve my last bit of work on Japan, since now Kei is an American character.

Americaaa! FUCK YEAH!

Department 0

Department 0 is the Japanese agency that handles Nova relations, regulation, and security matters for the country. They also regulate all technology developed by Japanese Novas. They do not hire or take on any refugees, because of their immigration status, instead recruiting from the scarce pool of Japanese Nova natives. Department 0 is also part of the Japanese Intelligence Agency, and they are regularly briefed on Nova Refugee and Native activities. Their greatest interest is the Stonehenge gate. It's use in the arrival of the refugees and the method of which to jump between universes has been of great interest to Japan. Their goal is to build a gate of their own and start missions to other universes, and start trans-universal trade if possible. Lock-downs be damned!

Department 0 isn't just a bunch of curious nerds and brave secret agents. Department 0 has a branch with it's agency dedicated to Homeland safety. Dubbed "Nippontai", their job is to react on call to various disasters and emergencies on behalf of the people of Japan. Nippontai operatives wear distinctive white with red detail suits that double as biohazard gear and rescue gear. They've even developed a space worthy "tension suit" to use on space-based missions.

Finally, Department 0 has a cell within each branch of the JSDF. Each one with it's specialists in the field serving alongside the branches.

Department 0 is headed by a 50 year-old Nova named Aiko Nishimura, she erupted late in her life, but developed strong inter-personal skills and managing prowess. She is known for her faded pink hair, love of white suits, and a taste for Sake. She's a reasonible person, and generally trustworthy, but she's known for being very clever and wily if need-be.

As an aside - I'm opening a thread, pure fiction, for anyone in CN who is inclined to be in the lab. Because some of you are still working out numbers, this is a no-dice situation. There will be no rolls or rule-calls. It is purely just to let the scientist-types get to feel out each other's personalities, and for us to do the same for the characters. Because not everyone has their numbers set, I'd prefer people to not 'show off'. And yes, this is for the nerds. :D We outnumber you guys anyway! :P

I'll be posting there fairly soon :D

Archived