Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova OOC

Mr Fox

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mel just doesn't work out for posting mojo. So I am pulling him out, but working on other character concepts. :)

Sorry to hear that. Lemme know if you need concept help.

Also, I'm giving until tomorrow after I get off work (so about 1 a.m. CST) for people to post their perception rolls in Undernight. After that I'm doing rolls for you and moving it forward. :) I figure it's better to roll for you than skip you and deny your PC the chance to participate.

I have a question.

My aberrations are not taint based (I'm at 0 Taint in fact), and I was thinking of having a series of things during different threads where Naomi starts rediscovering her Humanity. This will eventually lead to her reaching Dormancy 5 and regaining a human form. Is this even possible with her condition as it stands?

As of right now, yes. I see four aberrations listed on Naomi's character sheet. Each dot of Dormancy reduces Taint (and any corresponding aberrations) by 1. Since Naomi is, as you say, at zero Taint right now even a single dot of Dormancy should be enough to remove all of them unless you, yourself want to say differently. And that is the key point here: what you would say about this. None of Naomi's aberrations are 'real' in a rules-sense of the word. You did not 'purchase' them as Flaws or acquire them through the discounted purchase of nova powers; Naomi's aberrations are just 'there'. Technically, she doesn't even need Dormancy to get rid of them; they're only there right now because you want them to be.

So yes, Dormancy (of any rating, but certainly a rating of 5) should allow her to hide her aberrations.

Okay I am working on a post involving the DSA and I have run into a slight complication. I'm not really sure what the DSA does. What is it's mission statement?

Is it like the FBI in that it investigates crimes committed by Novas?

Is it a training and recruitment type organization like the Rashoud facilities?

Are they more like a think tank in that they study Novas and quantum phenomenon?

Is it a bit of all three?

I'd just like to get an idea from you folks so I don't misappropriate someone Else's idea.

It is all three. It's ultimately responsible for the actions of US novas, whether good or bad. They are to deal with the forces that the police can't. They also are there when there's natural disasters that can be aided by novas. They find and recruit new novas. They develop nova technology and monitor its dispersal and use. Basically, if it has a node in the US, the DSA has their fingers in it.

I'm going to make some major changes to Department 0. I will link the changes when they are done.

Addendum: Here it is. I removed D0's interests in the gates (for they will have none). For now they're quite vanilla.

Note that could change later on as plots develop. After all D0 may be nice, but they do look after the best interests for their country above anything.

I know this may spark fierce debate, but I am going to offer up a simplification of things in terms of XP.

By standard IE rules, we get 25xp per month, and XP per thread based on the word count.

I think while the word count option is a good way to encourage posting, it is quite hard with how the forum software works to go through the process of cutting and pasting into your local word processor.

So here is what I am thinking.

We still in CN get 25xp a month.

We get a base 5xp per complete thread PLUS at the end of a thread the participants state (in a spoiler) something someone did that was particularly memorable that would give 1 extra XP?

The CN world thrives on characters and story, and perhaps by encouraging good characterization we could make earning that xp much more satisfying.

I know this may spark fierce debate, but I am going to offer up a simplification of things in terms of XP.

By standard IE rules, we get 25xp per month, and XP per thread based on the word count.

I think while the word count option is a good way to encourage posting, it is quite hard with how the forum software works to go through the process of cutting and pasting into your local word processor.

So here is what I am thinking.

We still in CN get 25xp a month.

We get a base 5xp per complete thread PLUS at the end of a thread the participants state (in a spoiler) something someone did that was particularly memorable that would give 1 extra XP?

The CN world thrives on characters and story, and perhaps by encouraging good characterization we could make earning that xp much more satisfying.

I wouldn't much care for that. I write long posts and - as a result - long stories. What you're suggesting here would cut my expected XP 'income' from completed threads by something like 85%, if not more.

So I vote 'NO'.

Regarding XP suggestion:

I would be fine with that as an addition to the standard rules, however, I very much like the idea of rewarding people for creating longer more in-depth stories.

Plus, when you are writing on your own and there aren't others in the thread, I'm not real comfortable with making an "I did this super cool thing and I deserve XP for it" post. Even if there are others in the thread, I would hate to set up a situation where one player gets resentful over the other not suggesting they get bonus XP.

Don't get me wrong, I've got no problem with the idea of nominating someone for bonus XP because they did something cool, cool stuff deserves rewards. I'd just rather not see it be the only way someone can be rewarded for hard work, and writing a 30,000 word short story is deserving of reward whether you are an awesome writer or a beginner. It is through writing after all that we improve.

In agreement with Cent here. Fiction/story XP should be a reward for writing, not merely participating in a thread written with others. At the end of a group thread, you should get a reward based on your own contribution to the whole. It might be difficult and exacting from a book-keeping standpoint, but it's fair. Quite frankly, I don't think it's fair to be awarded the same as people who either write mono-paragraphic posts or, indeed, write huge intricate posts that put mine to shame.

I vote NO, the system should stay as it is.

For my part it's largely an issue of motivation. If no additional XP were being awarded for completed threads at all, I'd still be writing long posts for long stories - cuz I can't help myself. But when rewards are being given, it's very discouraging to know that the 30,000 word fic I just completed only earned me the same 5xp as the really short fic from the next thread up - written by a player who completed six such low-word-count stories in the time it took me to complete one of mine.

My writing isn't always good, but I work damned hard at all of it, putting in hours and hours of research into pretty much every one. If we were to switch to this suggested new system I can promise that it would do pretty much the opposite of encouraging me to write more or better.

That's an excellent point Telluris. I was never happy with the thought of someone dropping in one sentence replies to a thread and getting a big ol' pile of XP for the work the other writers in the thread did.

The onus is on the writer to track their own efforts and record their XP. To some people the XP is a big motivating factor and to others it is barely noticed and not really cared about. Personally, I don't cut and paste into Word unless I know it is a long story that I've put a lot of effort into. It is up to the writer to follow up if they choose to do so.

I believe I will update the general IE xp rules to state that it is the writer's own word count that generates XP not the overall word count in a shared story. That should motivate people to make longer posts.

Unless people vote otherwise here in CN, I will assume the CN setting is grandfathered in under the original XP wording rather than going by the new.

Originally it was the overall word count that mattered, and that isn't really fair, so kudos to you for bringing this to everyone's attention and getting it corrected.

Unless folks here object to the change you can consider it in effect in CN. If people want to leave it so that overall thread word count is what applies rather your personal contributions to the thread, then speak up and vote for that. If so we can grandfather CN in under the old wording.

Note: the Experience Awards section of the IE Settings and Rules thread has been updated to include wording to specify that it is the author's own word count that matters, not the overall word count of a thread.

Also, added under Special Gifts of XP that an author can be nominated for an XP award by others in the setting.

Experience awards:

25 XP per month of participation.

5 XP per completed story of upto 10,000 words

15 xp per completed story between 10k and 20k words

30 xp per completed story between 20k and 30k words

45 xp per completed story between 30k and 40k words

etc.

Note: The xp awards for word counts are for your contribution to the thread, not the overall word count from all authors in the thread. In other words, take your posts from the thread and drop them into Word or other program in order to derive an accurate word count.

Special gifts of XP:

• Each July 1st everyone receives 25xp in honor of the games anniversary.
  • Birthday gift - on your birthday each year you may take 25xp
  • 2010 holiday season those in the game at that time were gifted with 25xp.
  • Writers can be nominated for bonus XP for any reason, but this requires the agreement of the majority of the players in the setting (or lack of any objections).

It is up to you to track your XP. Either in your character's Profile thread or via a running PM to me, however you choose do it, please track your XP awards and expenditures

Archived