Mutants & Masterminds: Lake City Universe - M&M 3E - LCU: The Home of Heroes (OOC)

Heritage

Yea, more and more it sounds like Gary should be slapping Rapid on his communication powers ;)

Sorry for the absence all weekend it was pretty busy.

I also have to make another apology, this time about the game... I don't think I've really been doing my character justice in this encounter so far. And that's because I haven't been really paying attention. The bottom line is that Hostage Situations kind of hit home for Hellhound. If you didn't read his background, the quick school is that his sister was killed in one.

I'd like to play it off as Hellhound's just been keeping it together. This will also be the reason, I haven't let the Barghest say anything. He's been keeping the thing walled up. But I'd expect that after finding out there's an injured old lady in need of medical attention, and a young woman scared out of her wits in the restroom, I doubt he'll be keeping it together much longer.

Those items, plus the white van in the alley are the things I'd expect him to directly act upon, and only because that's directly in front of him. So I'll be doing that in my next post.

I have my own opinions about the other information: I think the direct target is the briefcase. The crooks themselves may have some deal with any third party that hired them that they can take any money they want but their employer (if they're not working alone) gets the briefcase. See the plot of Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrells for reference. The service tunnel will serve as a second potential exit, but I don't think we should be concerned with it right now. If it becomes and issue, HH can teleport down there and stall them long enough for backup to arrive in the tunnels. There's been no solid indication so far that they intend to escape by air, and in addition to the fact that they'd have to climb five storiest to even get to the roof puts it in the same category as the tunnels for now - a non issue. Priority one, as always for the heroes, should be the hostages.

The important thing to note is that Hellhound will not notice any of this because he's not smart enough. He also does not in any stretch of the immagination care right now. He's about this close to jumping the gun, breaking the seige and saving some hostages.

But don't worry, I won't make any drastic actions without waiting for a second opinion or my initiative or whatever. He's not that much of a loose cannon.

On that subject, how much are we waiting for initiative to post right now, Heritage? I know HH is at the end of the order, but I'm ready to make a post saying something along the lines of, "Lemme at'em!" So just let me know what I should or should not do.

Right now, I believe Gary is up. I'd expect him to take his action to deliver orders and coordinate the team, if it doesn't already take his entire turn to tell everyone the info that we just found out. For right now, I'm waiting for someone else to post either IC or OOC. That's just my take on the info dump from over the weekend.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fact, you know what? I don't think Russell really is even capable of acting on the fact that the getaway truck is right in front of him:

Inside the Fire: Russell's sister's life was taken from her prematurely by a gang of kidnappers. Since that day, he has always had a soft spot for damsels in distress. Whenever a similar situation crops up, he always ensures the safety of hostages first and places all other thoughts on the back burner until he is sure that none of the hostages are in danger. He will do this, even if another course of action may be the smarter course of action. GM may grant Russell a hero point if he is forced to save a hostage instead of taking another more prudent action.

Sorry guys. I've not checked the site in a while (this game's slow speed combo'd with my own game's hiatus for one of the PCs). I'll see about getting a post up immediately.

I do need to make a request though. Green Ronin has been putting out their "power profile" series since the start of the year and the Mental Powers one (came out last week) really clarified certain things about how some of the effects that Gary uses work. If allowed I would like to rework Gary's powers accordingly, which would hopefully free him up to be able to actually act instead of just acting as a relay for the other team members. As it stands now Gary's mental communication is 1 to 1 only and not rapid, so he's basically locked into conveying all this info and banter between PCs without being able to really do anything on his own. The new rules should fix that but I don't want to presume I can just redesign my powers mid-game.

I don't foresee much change in his specific powers, just in terms of the build I made, and how things work, especially his Comms. Specifically the Mental Powers Power Profile states that while the guys with the power has the control everybody involved can in fact hear each other (a big change). I doubt I will find a way to buy the power outside of his Telepathic Array (though I might) and so during combat and times when he uses other powers he'll continue having to go "radio silent" so I don't think the overall change in his build will do much for gameplay except for the comms power.

I'll hopefully get this taken care of at lunch today or maybe tonight.

I think between adventures Naomi is going to have to make some com-links for everyone with Heri's permission. I don't know if I will have to invest my own XP for something the group will benefit from, but I am willing to take "XP Debt" for something as important for us as this.

Also since my situation is more clear now, I am going to watch this game more carefully.

Heritage, I know your connection situation is horri-bad, I had been staring this exact situation down for a while myself. Is there anything we can do to help keep the game conscious while you are away? Also you think having a assigned day where posts can happen help?

Changes:

· Telepathic Communication: Distracting Two-Way Selective Area Mental Communication 4 (worldwide; Subtle 1, Rapid 1) Linked to Comprehend Languages 3 (limited to mental communication) • 1 point http://www.atomicthi...=257087#p257087

It was clarified that everybody in a link can communicate without having to go full on relay with the source. As such I decided to add Distracting to represent how I have been playing it as mentally taxing, and also to allow me to take a 4th rank and add a rank of Rapid. Its still part of his primary array which means that he has to shut it down to use his combat powers and ESP, but its more useful in the meantime.

· Mind Diving: Cumulative Mind Reading 8 (Insidious, Subtle 2) • 1 point

I added Insidious here mostly because I wanted his mind reading to be undetected by the subject (subtle alone does not prevent the result of the effect from being detected) Gary can now rummage about in a persons mind without them ever knowing.

I added Insidious here mostly because I wanted his mind reading to be undetected by the subject (subtle alone does not prevent the result of the effect from being detected) Gary can now rummage about in a persons mind without them ever knowing.

You know... On any other character I'd argue a slippery slope, but I feel confident that Gary / Jameson can pull this off. The feel of this power is that it's not insidious because of any malicious intent, but simply because it is what it is, am I correct? He doesn't root through people's thoughts because he intends to, he just has a sort of mental probing that people are unable notice even if they notice the fact that someone is picking at their brain...

Just kidding. He's really a Nameless :P

BTW we still expecting a post from you James?

A few things:

1. First off, Joey Bumps got a 12 on his Will save; I have temporarily misplaced my rulebook (yes, I am now offically the worst GM ever), so can someone share the guidelines for failing vs Mind Reading? How many success that is and what it means? Once I know that, I can do a post from the depths of Joey's puny brain.

2. Volt, let's assume you couldn't find the fourth man due to the amount of 'chatter' in the area; between the street noise, civilian cellphones, wifi and the police and fire radio frequencies, it's not too surprising he couldn't pick 'Pidge' out of the din.

3. HH, I am looking forward to mad demon shennanigans in your post.

4. Gary, if I understand you correctly, the new building will work more like standards walkie-talkies on the same frequency (i.e. the team can all hear each other), but when Gary uses his other emntal abilities he has to drop the grid down temporarily?

5. Yeah, we all knew he was really a Nameless :D

SB: Were there any questions of your's I didn't answer? I thought I covered it all in that last post, but if I missed anything let me know. The stuff about employees and the contents of the safe were the big things she picked up, as well as stuff about the bank layout.

SB Here: NPC me. As a character I just don't know who she is anymore nor do I know what to do with her. I'm sorry but the gaps between posts and everything else... I got no other choice. I just don't know what to do.

Thanks for the game, but I should have just not rejoined.

1. First off, Joey Bumps got a 12 on his Will save; I have temporarily misplaced my rulebook (yes, I am now offically the worst GM ever), so can someone share the guidelines for failing vs Mind Reading? How many success that is and what it means? Once I know that, I can do a post from the depths of Joey's puny brain.

Gary's Mind Reading Check was a 24 so a 12 fails by 3 degrees. For simplicity I'll just copy/past the mind reading table:

MIND READING RESISTANCE CHECK

SUCCESS • DEGREE OF CONTACT

1 • Surface thoughts: You can read what the target

is presently thinking. Mind Reading transcends

language; you comprehend the target’s thoughts

whether or not you share a common language.

2 • Personal thoughts: You can probe deeper into the

target’s mind for information. You can essentially

ask any one question and receive the answer from

the target’s mind. If the target doesn’t know the

answer, then you know that as well.

3 • Memory: You can read the subject’s memories and

recollections. This allows you to perceive them exactly

as the target recalls them, one memory per

round.

4 • Subconscious: You can read memories from the

target’s subconscious, things even the target does

not consciously know. This might mean repressed

or hidden memories, deep-seated psychological

traumas, or even other personalities.

So Gary can do everything under the first three entries, he is only unable (at this point) to delve into Bumps' deep subconscious, which is fine because he really has no need to go there at this point.

4. Gary, if I understand you correctly, the new building will work more like standards walkie-talkies on the same frequency (i.e. the team can all hear each other), but when Gary uses his other emntal abilities he has to drop the grid down temporarily?

The team can all hear each other, but the only private conversations would be between Gary and somebody else since Gary is the controller/hub. Its also rapid now taking 10% of the normal time to pass information. His comms were always part of his array and would go down when he used his other mental powers, so that's unchanged.

I know you posted a while ago, but the reality is that we're still in turn order, so I don't think I can post as I'm the last in line.

Heritage: Shenanigans it is! Because of the complications, any chance said shenanigans garner an HP? My plan is to do something completely unadvised, for RP sake, so I'm hoping that fits the bill.

For my part so we can keep things moving I'll post my plan for the turn ahead of time:

Move Action: Teleport into the Rest Rooms where the scared girl is.

Free Action: Drop his powers so as not to appear frightened

Standard/Move/etc: Talk/console/etc, and try to get her to agree to evac with him.

Okay, I ended up with a lot less computer time today than i thought, so I will have to post here Friday (grr!). I also screwed up Initiative by having Gary go first before Team Evil. Rather than screw my bad guys right off the bad by having them go last, if it's okay with you guys I'm just gonna shift them to the second position so Gary doesn't have to redo his fine post. Since his actions were all mental, I hope that seems fair to everyone; if so, I will post his findings as part of Team Evil's post.

I actually think that's a great idea! Just assume he went all "speed of thought" on us for a second. In the grand scheme of things, one initiative slot really shouldn't matter anyway.

Heritage, I'm not sure which job you're working at the moment because we haven't really talked in a while, but perhaps you could keep a little pocket notepad and a pen in your pocket and pen down prospective posts in downtime if your bored? It seems like you WANT to spend more time focusing on the game but you can't sit in front of a computer to do it... This may help you get your ideas in order, so that when you get to something with an internet browser, all you have to do is copy it down (long as you can read your handwriting). But if IRL is getting in the way of you even THINKING about the game, then regardless of whether your at a comp or not isn't going to change things. Anyway, just a thought I had...

@SB: Hey, no worries. If you need inspiration or whatnot, let me know. I usually like talking about characters and stuff. I could even sign into the chat room on request if you'd like. I just usually stay out because I'm at work. But I can sometimes spare a few minutes here and there. Just let me know, I'm pretty handy with kicking people out of their slumps. Just ask Heritage! :D

Just to clarify, Gary reads Nux's order in Joey's head, but there is no shooting of any sort on this round.

Super Agent Gary - 19

The Hoods - 19 (adjusted)

Blitz - 18

Superball - 13

Volt - 10

Hellhound - 9

Blitz is now up (at last!)

Posted. OOC note, as the writer for Hellhound I am purposefully NOT mentioning that he is with the police or mentioning any other information that would make him seem like he is with any one OTHER than the bank robbers. Right now, he's not thinking clearly. He's just trying to prevent what happened to his sister from happening again. If she thinks he's with the perps and chooses to scream or something, that's all well and good. I'm just hoping it earns me that Hero Point from that complication! ;)

Blitz, I think I slightly led you astray with my last post here in OOC, since the stuff in 'What Everyone Found Out' post pretty much covered what you would have found out with you high-spped search; do you want to edit it, or should I come up with more info (I might have missed something).

• 2 weeks later...

Carver, I will just give you some more detail and move on with a post this weekend, if that's alright with everyone. I want to keep us going despite my lousy access, though it might be getting a bit better due to the superior Chicago Public Library system (yay!)

Okay, to reward Blitz for her extreme fastness and perkiness, I threw a monkey wrench into the works! Something I hadn't thought of before, but it does make sense based on who's involved. Blitz, I sort of added the double check thing to sort of make sense with the timeline; hope that works for you.

Gary is up next!

Archived