[OpNet] Question of the "Week": Where would you be without a Node?

billy Horrorshow

Sure, a lot of us survived horrible life-threatening situations because of that magic meatball in our head but that aside, if we were to live our lives along the path that it was going years ago, where would we be? What the hell would you be doing as one of the Nodeless?

Me? I'd probably still be living on campus doing a crappy cable-access show and living off student loans, but that's just me. I sure as hell wouldn't be as "successful" and by successful I mean happy.

The Others would be operating independently in their assigned roles (treating the mildly mentally ill or being treated as such), or dead from fire.

Present popular speculation holds that I, as a free-existing being, would not exist.

It has yet to be determined if the extant reality is more favorable.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy Chillmeister:
We'd pretty much all be dead now wouldn't we you undead thing. We all, well, most of us, erupted because some awful fucking shit went down and we popped brain chubbie.
You are right most of us not all. Even us Non-Quantum Accidents didnt have to have a NDE in order to get the lump.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy Chillmeister:
We'd pretty much all be dead now wouldn't we you undead thing.
Thrill kill. I can say, I know, but bah. So to paraphrase my question: ASIDE from potentially being dead, where would you be in your life? Bah:
Quote:
Originally posted by billy Horrorshow:
Sure, a lot of us survived horrible life-threatening situations because of that magic meatball in our head but that ASIDE...
On a random note, asking this question is always a fun way of proving to people that for 9 out of 10 people, getting a node is really, REALLY like winning the lottery. But for 1 out of 10 or so it's generally a whole bucket of suck. :shrug:

As I can't really remember being node-less ... I can't really answer that question.

(I'll still give it a shot, though) wink

Factoring normal variables of education and societal status, I would have probably ended up a paramedic, health care worker, or (hopefully) working for some world relief agency. Those have been my general passions. I would have liked to have been a doctor, but doubt I could have gotten the grades or financing for medical school, thus a technical program of some type would have been my fate.

Painting, drawing and in all other ways searching for the proof of the existence and nature of the human soul as well as the ultimately beneficient nature of the universe. Erupting gave me the keys to all of those but lucky for me those goals turned out to be starting points instead of destinations.

Doing occasionally meaningful research at Triton's labs.

And a question to everyone out there. Since gaining a node, how have your opinions changed?

I know that what I thought was a meaningful life then would be dull and meaningless to me now. I know that I am much more open to things I do not understand. And I wish I knew all the ways I've changed as a person, but I don't think that I ever will.

This is a difficult question for me to consider.

A well adjusted productive member of baseline society living blissfully in my ignorance. Maybe I would have studied dance or ancient history at a university. Perhaps there I would have found a husband and later moved to suburbia...

That really does sound absurd doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Alchemist:
And a question to everyone out there. Since gaining a node, how have your opinions changed?
When I met my first gathering of Novas I learned pretty quickly that we're not Gods, and some of us are only borderline special. When I first erupted I was all types of romanticizing.
I fell hard. Fast.
I'd say more but then I'd be churning out a special brand of intellectual psycho-babble that isn't that special because we're all types of familiar with it here on the forum.
Been there, done that. Wear the T-shirt to paint my garage.

Eris, Shouldn't that be amended to ...a lot less style, flair and accidents wink

Alchemist, To answer your question in sensible terms avoiding the kind of stuff which the starter of this topic dislikes; I can talk to animals and plants, I can see the brightests stars and planets during day light, my sense of intuition leads me to think in terms of the future pulling the present towards it as much as the past causing the present and I've seen Novas do and talk about even weirder stuff. All those things have changed my opinion about myself and the world at large.

Billy God-damn it, intellectual psycho-babble is my favourite thing after cheap-shot jokes, how dare you not take my ego masturbation seriously!!!

I'll deal with YOU latter.

With the exception of being electrocuted and then crushed by a building, I'd have my apprentice training done. I'd probably be working for some company wiring new land developments.

Regarding my opinion? Well, I found that life was short. Even nova life doesn't last forever. I was just an average joe, a building collapsed on me. I should have died, but I was given some sweet powers. So who knows what will happen tomorrow?

I erupted in the middle of a full blown Elite operation....Wait, maybe that doesn't quite count.

Anyways.

If I han't erupted than property values in a certain area of New York City would probably be a little higher, and barring serious and permanent injury, I would probably still be at boarding school and attenting the occasional diplomatic function.

Wow, that's not really all that different from what I do now. Hmm...Odd.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarot:
Ew!

Glad you didn't die but... Ew! Didn't any of you erupt from something other than life and death situations?
Sorry dude, but well, it is how most of us pop.

And y'know something? The folks I've met that didn't erupt from danger....they kinda drift towards the weird side of things. Meh, least that's how I see it.

Archived