Aberrant RPG - Insta-Power gain

BlueNinja

I was thinking about this while walking to/from lunch.

From what I have heard about other "super-hero" genre RPGs, many of them allow you to use a power you don't have in the middle of a game session, either as a one-time use or as a permanent addition to the character. Aberrant doesn't have this, and most GMs seem to prefer limiting buying powers to before or after a game session, not in the middle. But, obviously, that can leave some characters stranded in an emergency, or when the player has a really great idea that would fit the situation, but they lack the appropriate power. So here's what I thought up, critique it as you will.

If a player wishes to buy a power or enhancement for a one-time use, they must pay half the XP cost, rounded up, and are limited to buying only one point in the power; powers may not be purchased Tainted for a single use. This is effective only for one round. The player is limited to powers that they do not possess, and only enhancements for Mega-Attributes that they do possess. This also inflicts one point of temporary Taint, and may only be done once per game session.

If a player wishes to buy a power, enhancement, or Mega-Attribute for permanent use, they must pay all normal XP costs (whether regular or Tainted) and are limited to buying only one point in the power. The player is limited to buying powers or Mega-Attributes that they do not already possess, or enhancement for Mega-Attributes they do possess. This also inflicts one point of permanent Taint regardless of XP expenditure, but can be done as often as the player wishes.

Why in hell would I want to get a point of Taint for no xp benefit? Im saying its way too harsh...so much so in fact that I dont think anyone will ever use it...I suppose half xp for a dot in a new power isnt too bad...but I also dont like it becuae usually one can only do this with Node Spark. I also dont know of any other games where you can "manifest any power" just once. The only difference in your game is that in most games you can spend xp whenever, so long as its something youve been working on or up to...

Why in hell would I want to get a point of Taint for no xp benefit? Im saying its way too harsh...so much so in fact that I dont think anyone will ever use it...I suppose half xp for a dot in a new power isnt too bad...but I also dont like it becuae usually one can only do this with Node Spark. I also dont know of any other games where you can "manifest any power" just once. The only difference in your game is that in most games you can spend xp whenever, so long as its something youve been working on or up to...

While I don't necessarily think it's too harsh(after all, normally you can't buy new powers at all in session), I do have to say I don't really see the point, if Node Spark is required in the first place.

One of the things I've always dug about Abby is that powers are supposed to be thematically-linked(usually based on the psychology of the individual or specific circumstance of eruption). It's very comic-bookish that way, which is why I like it.

I've always(reluctantly) accepted that there is no system built into the Aberrant rules for power-stunts or spontaneous power acquisition. Your original post gave me a tiny glimmer of hope, but then you nuked it with the requirement of needing to already have Node Spark...which is designed to be a limited, faction-based power. I also say I've got to agree with SkyLion about the XP cost for the one-time use powers, and the Taint.

For a permanent purchase, of course you have the pay the XP, but eating a point of perm Taint is just insane. Temporary taint I can see, because you're pushing yourself, just like Power-Maxing.

Speaking of which, I've always wondered why the Power-Maxing rules couldn't be modified for this kind of thing. Like, up the Q-cost and eat some temp Taint, so if you do actually manage to pull it off, you're friggin' exhausted and stuck with some fresh Taint.

I've always(reluctantly) accepted that there is no system built into the Aberrant rules for power-stunts or spontaneous power acquisition. Your original post gave me a tiny glimmer of hope, but then you nuked it with the requirement of needing to already have Node Spark...
On the contrary, this is designed to be used by anyone, regardless of the powers they possess. Node Spark is not neccessary. Sky thinks Node Spark is better than my idea; probably because there's no XP lost, for the tradeoff of potentially more temp Taint and restriction in which powers you can get. My proposal is a way for any nova to use virtually any power, but at a cost that should discourage it from being used in a non-critical situation.
For a permanent purchase, of course you have the pay the XP, but eating a point of perm Taint is just insane. Temporary taint I can see, because you're pushing yourself, just like Power-Maxing.
So, you think it should just be a buncha temporary Taint rather than one permanent? How much? 2? 5?

On the contrary, this is designed to be used by anyone, regardless of the powers they possess. Node Spark is not neccessary.

So, you think it should just be a buncha temporary Taint rather than one permanent?

My bad dude...I thought you said Node Spark was necessary. My apologies. ::smile

As for the Taint, temp is much preferred than permanent. Keep in mind too, you've already got nasty rules for burning off temp Taint in your game, so there's a real good chance that a character that tries this even once, they're gonna end up with perm Taint anyways.

Just noticed you edited your post...I'd say 2 temp taint. That's if you combine it with the existing rules for power-maxing. This way, the option is there for a character to REALLY push themselves if they need to, but there are some serious drawbacks to even trying it.

So, you think it should just be a buncha temporary Taint rather than one permanent? How much? 2? 5?

I did some math using the chargen info from the main book and determined that one Nova Point equals 4 points of Temporary Taint. I dunno if this helps.

The more I think about this, the more I think it's broken. Bag of unlimited tricks.

No powermax. No chance of failure. No theme issues. No need to be trying to develop the power. Just zap. It's like giving every nova Node Spark.

Example: Paul carries around 5 exp points. If he needs Disin, he drops 5 and a point of temp taint and nails someone. It's expensive, but if I'm in a position where I need to use the power it's probably worth it.

And it doesn't have to be Disin, we could have Teleport (I'll bet many of those novas in Bahrain would love the chance to drop 3 points of exp for a teleport).

Seems to me a much better idea is to just allow XP expenditure on powers in play, limited to powers that are within your theme and focus of development. IOW, stuff either related to what you already have, and/or that you are already working on.

With a little give or take, this actually fits better, IMO, by allowing your power development to be related to events that occur to your character, not just choices in what you do during practice.

For example, in Ancient Aberrant, Aral von Darien developed a full three dots of Disrupt midsession. . . specifically, midway into being subjected to a powerful and undesired Mirage by the Winter King. IC, what happened is Aral responded very badly to it, and instinctively tried to shut the bugger off.

Didn't work, granted, but its come in handy once or twice since then.

The problem with that is if you need a mindshield, then *presto*, you have one. Or Hardbody. Or Adaptability. Or whatever.

Potential Solutions:

1) Don't allow exp purchases during game time.

2) Force a point of taint on that, i.e. anything you buy has to be tainted. This should be in addition to all the normal conditions (i.e. must be in theme, etc).

3) Something else?

Where I have seen this and had it not seem abusive, the player wanted to buy something, everyone knew he wanted to buy it and he was a few exp short. Then he needed the power and needed it now, so the ST allowed him to retroactively change his wish list from "won't buy tainted" to "will buy tainted". Since he was already past the half way point for his exp it worked.

At the opposite extreme I've been in situations where having power "X" (which was in theme but not purchased or worked on) would have been so extremely useful that I would have purchased it, even with a point of taint (it's never been allowed). "X" has been {Flexibility, Regeneration, or Adaptability} in turn, those seem to be the ones that seem to come up...

...but I also have to say that allowing on the spot purchases for specific defenses (Hardbody, Strobe Defense, Psy-Shield, Blindfighting) seem to be pretty abusive. You didn't think that defense was worth buying before, but now it is?

The problem with that is if you need a mindshield, then *presto*, you have one. Or Hardbody. Or Adaptability. Or whatever.

Potential Solutions:

1) Don't allow exp purchases during game time.

2) Force a point of taint on that, i.e. anything you buy has to be tainted. This should be in addition to all the normal conditions (i.e. must be in theme, etc).

3) Something else?

Where I have seen this and had it not seem abusive, the player wanted to buy something, everyone knew he wanted to buy it and he was a few exp short. Then he needed the power and needed it now, so the ST allowed him to retroactively change his wish list from "won't buy tainted" to "will buy tainted". Since he was already past the half way point for his exp it worked.

At the opposite extreme I've been in situations where having power "X" (which was in theme but not purchased or worked on) would have been so extremely useful that I would have purchased it, even with a point of taint (it's never been allowed). "X" has been {Flexibility, Regeneration, or Adaptability} in turn, those seem to be the ones that seem to come up...

...but I also have to say that allowing on the spot purchases for specific defenses (Hardbody, Strobe Defense, Psy-Shield, Blindfighting) seem to be pretty abusive. You didn't think that defense was worth buying before, but now it is?

Well, I have to say that given novas are said to adapt to their surroundings, I don't have many problems for in session buys, as long as they fit theme. Powers like specific defenses would... depend, really. I would kind of insist you'd been hit by them before you could buy a power like that in game, and in that case, it's usually easier to buy it after game. Then again, I'm also playing in a game where several powers/enhancements are just... off limits.

Then again, my criteria for an in game buy would likely be

1) Will it make this game interesting?

2) Is it in theme for the character?

3) Is it necessary for the character to survive right that moment?

4) Would it ruin the story if the character got this power?

That, partly, assumes a hard binary nature to the question "Do you have the power, or don't you?"

There is a third possibility, that is, "I had that power all along," IE, retroactive purchase. Obviously, this only is credible in limited circumstances ( when either that power would never have came up, or there has been a fairly lengthy time since the last time where it would have been relevant ).

*shrug* Yeah, its potentially abusable. I'd certainly look askance on a random character developing Sensory Shield just as they are getting hit with a Strobe. OTOH, if you have a PC whose specialty is durability, with a variety of powers representing such, and they just got whacked by an agg attack that will kill them, developing Hardbody spontaneously doesn't seem too unfair *if* they got into that situation through no particular fault of their own ( especially bad dice luck ). And really, isn't it alot more dramatically interesting for new capabilities to get their first on-screen appearance in a circumstance that actually is important ( as opposed to always showing up in training sessions )?

If your theme is durability, then why exactly don't you have a defense against AGG? Because you know that it's unlikely to come up, and if you really need to you can buy it on the spot?

Further, it's the PCs choice as too when he shows something off. In BN's game we've had 40 exp. Paul or one of the other PCs could have developed Mega-Strength 4 (Crush), and just decided to keep this as a hidden Ace. This is one of the scary things about working for the Directive and going up against a Nova.

The more I think about this, the more I think it's broken. Bag of unlimited tricks.

No powermax. No chance of failure. No theme issues. No need to be trying to develop the power. Just zap. It's like giving every nova Node Spark.

Example: Paul carries around 5 exp points. If he needs Disin, he drops 5 and a point of temp taint and nails someone. It's expensive, but if I'm in a position where I need to use the power it's probably worth it.

And it doesn't have to be Disin, we could have Teleport (I'll bet many of those novas in Bahrain would love the chance to drop 3 points of exp for a teleport).

That was kinda my problem with it. As I have a PC with Node Spark, this ruling makes that power seem less special, especially given the strictures of even having the power.

If your theme is durability, then why exactly don't you have a defense against AGG? Because you know that it's unlikely to come up, and if you really need to you can buy it on the spot?

Further, it's the PCs choice as too when he shows something off. In BN's game we've had 40 exp. Paul or one of the other PCs could have developed Mega-Strength 4 (Crush), and just decided to keep this as a hidden Ace. This is one of the scary things about working for the Directive and going up against a Nova.

Well, I'll point out Artemis, whose theme is survival/Nature, didn't have Health until about five sessions ago, mainly because I didn't know about it. Now, I didn't buy it in the middle of a session, but I don't think anyone would have minded, because it was obviously a player goof. And if you have a problem with defenses, don't allow them to buy Hardbody, allow something that achieves the end they want that isn't obvious. I mean, heck, I've found extra health levels insanely helpful in play, but on paper they look kind of lame.

I'll have to say, I'm more inclined to be lenient on this, simply because before I got in my current group, I always STed for new roleplayers. So I'm more inclined to see this as a learning opportunity and less as "This will cause people to game the system."

That was kinda my problem with it. As I have a PC with Node Spark, this ruling makes that power seem less special, especially given the strictures of even having the power.

And as a side note, let me comment that mid-session XP purchases is still distinct from Node Spark. You only get what you can buy ( and justify as a purchase ) with XP. Node Spark can give you considerably more dots than most people could afford to purchase outright*, and you get more leeway in what is justifiable.

*I say "most" rather than "all" because some people have 150+ XP banked away. . .

We made out a new system where level 3 powers are more stenuous to make with Node Spark than level 2 powers (which use the normal set-up), and level 1 powers are easier. It would make sense that a dot of Disintegrate takes more energy to manifest than a dot of Sensory Shield.

Archived