Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Nippontai High OOC

ProfPotts

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, it seems I actually have an extra half hour to get this together...

Ken Yamada (Bahamut810, Male)

Backing: 2 (Art Club Vice-President)

Influence: 0 (he has not really impressed anyone)

Ken loves what he does. Well...unless he dosen't like it. He will try anything he thinks might be fun to create with (which has led him to experient with canvas art, sculpture, manga, photography and performance pieces), but has been known to abruptly abandon a project that he feels wont work out (much to the wrath of the Art club). He does seem to be quite knowledgeable in general, but is especially interested in history. Something that seems to have a few people in class asking for his notes often. He takes what he can glean from the opnet (people, places, events, other images) and school to add to his own works to make new pieces.

He is very much the artist at heart, and at times it seems that he is overinduldging himself at times. Otherwise he is a fairly normal high schooler who stays up too late on occasion.

One of the oddest quirks some members of the Art club (and some other members of class who have wanted his help studying) is that he will never invite anyone to his home to study or work on a project, even if its his idea to do it or there is no room at the other peoples houses. It is strange, but no one has had the inclination to push the issue.

Kazuo Kanai

Backing: 0

Influence: 0

[attachmentid=275]*

Not much of anything about Kazuo Kanai is known for certain by the students of Nippontai High, but this is mostly because he hasn’t started attending yet. Most of the students (at least those who pay attention to gossip) have already heard of him though, on account of the surprising number of rumors that seem to be preceding him. Some of these are fairly mundane but still moderately scandalous (he’s apparently been held back a year and so is nearly as old as the upper classmen), while others (he’s a transfer from “Monster Island”, he was held back after spending a year in the hospital because of some kind of Yakuza conflict he was involved in, he’s dating Ryoko Mendo) are pretty fantastic and almost certainly false. But the only student who actually seems to have met Kazuo is, strangely, Ryoko Mendo, who apparently met him while he was recuperating in the hospital. Maybe there is some truth to the rumors…

Kazuo Kanai is, to put it mildly, not a nice young man, which makes his friendship with Ryoko even stranger. Some might even go so far as to call him a jerk (and others might call those people charitable for doing so). Kazuo does what he wants, when he wants, how he wants, and he doesn’t care what others think about it. He smokes almost anytime he can manage it, drinks regularly, and is always willing to abandon homework in favor of a good party. He’s a slacker, a rebel, and a consummate thug. In a nation full of conformists, he is a nail that refuses to be hammered down. While he doesn’t go hunting down opportunities for them, Kazuo is always ready for a fight and never backs down from a confrontation. While he may not be the smartest guy around, Kazuo’s plenty quick-witted and clever, and nothing ever seems to faze him. He’s the kind of “bad boy” that all the guys love to hate because of how the girls inexplicably (and for no logical reason) flock to him. This despite the fact that he makes the most depraved and evil students that Kurotech Tech has to offer look like model students with impeccable manners. In fact, Kazuo apparently has no morals whatsoever.

And yet if one of the rumors is to be believed, he got all of those scars of his while trying to save a young girl from an entire gang of Yakuza.

*((Yaru Ka means, roughly, 'Want a piece of me?!', and is not considered a polite thing to say. Also, yes, before anyone asks, Kazuo is supposed to have facial hair and look like he's old enough to be in a University; he's seventeen and 'Overdeveloped'. Also, he's not in any clubs right now, and he's not really the sort to join one. But if it comes up, the Judo or Kendo clubs would be the most likely candidates for him, since he's more or less maxed out in both Martial Arts and Melee. Anything else and he's either just mundane or below average in it, or it's a skill (like Intrusion) that they don't have clubs for.))

Hmmm... time for some 'nipping in the bud' I think...

A note on play style:

This is mostly for those guys new to my style of STing.

It's been said that I 'like to run a tight ship' when STing (well, at least that's what the more polite players have said... ::sly ), & that's true. When players post I prefer them not to try to dictate actions & events outside their character's control. Two good examples are: saying it's the end of the lunch break (it isn't) & saying that English is the next class (since I'm pretty sure it's already been stated that PE is after lunch). While these thngs may not seem important in the overall scheme of things, this sort of stuff quickly leads to players stepping on each others posts, 'retroactive' posting &, in bad cases, all out 'dramatic editing' wars! Also, in many cases, seemingly mundane details in my ST posts can actually be parts of larger plot elements. In essence you just have to remember that you only control your own character - it's my job to control the rest of the world (Bwahahahaha!!! ::devil ).

Similarly, when dramatic scenes start to crop up, remember to post what your character is attempting to do, rather than the results - e.g. Alex Green posted his character's attempt to sweep the oni, he didn't post that he tried & succeeded.

Obviously it goes without saying that this is mitigated by common sense - if your character wants to open the door to the classroom then you can usually just post that he does so, if your character tries to open the door to a secure military facility he's trying to break into then you have no way of knowing what will happed (it could be locked, alarmed, booby-trapped, guarded, etc...).

Another quick point is that I don't allow players to just change stuff on their characters after play has started - if you want to change something, then you'll need to discuss it with me first. That includes stuff like background details & story, as well as dots & statistics. Normally you'd need a really good reason to do so, & stuff which has already featured in the game I usually won't allow to be altered.

On a related note: it should come as no surprise that the more admin & number crunching a ST has to do on a game, the less time he has to actually post stuff - so it's probably best not to send me a constant barrage of PMs questioning or debating rules points & the like. While I'm happy to deal with legitimate questions, & I do realise that more questions & stuff will tend to pop up at chargen, like you guys I'm here to enjoy the game, not to defend my STing style or try out a zillion re-workings of a single PC.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a Nazi-St here, but I feel it's usually good to get this stuff sorted out as early as possible.

Cheers all. ::smile

Here's a list of named characters who are in various clubs. Obviously there are lots more NPCs in these clubs too, these are just the ones who have cropped up so far (& who have some link or significance to one or more PCs). The numbers are the character's Backing rating (& therefore their social 'rank' within the school - by default characters, at least respectful characters, will tend to defer to those of higher social rank - by bowing lower, for example).

Judo Team:

3. Captain: To be announced

2. Vice captain: Jinsei Aki (Phoenix)

1. Tetsuo Takahashi (NPC)

Kendo Team:

3. Captain: Fujiko Watabe (NPC)

2. Vice Captain: to be announced

1. Nabiki Watabe (Heritage)

0. Kenshi Koizumi (Alex Green)

0. Kenji Watabe (Asbjørn)

0. Kio Takemine (NPC)

Gymnastics Team:

4. Captain (& 1A class president): Takeshi Hanzo (NPC)

Debate Team:

4. President (& 1B class president): Akaji Maro (Ezekiel)

2. Vice President: Orio Jaakaam (NPC)

1. Secretary: Salene Minowaka (Sai)

1. President’s PA: Keiko Ishida (NPC)

Newspaper Club:

3. Editor in Chief: to be announced

2. International News Columnist: Hiro Shujinkou (Nullifier)

1. Entertainment Editor: Seiji Yasuhara (Sablesma)

1. Layout & design: Kazuki (Prince of Boredom)

1. Sports Editor: Kohana Mitsu (NPC)

0. Oily snitch: Haruki Oshiro (NPC)

Art Club:

3. President: Miyako Miyamoto (Blue Ninja)

2. Vice President: Ken Yamada (Bahamut810)

Poetry Club:

1. Rumiko Takahashi (NPC)

Fund-raising Club:

3. President: Ryoko Mendo (NPC)

Shout if I've missed anyone! ::wink

I hate you Cottus, for stealing my character concept! ::angry

::unsure Um...sorry? ::shrug

I just wanted to say Cottus, that I dont hate you. In fact, I am thouroughly impressed by your commitment to the boards, excellent well researched posts filled with esoterica and as icing, you are a damned fine artist with a serious career as an illustrator or even comic artist. Seriously...from what you have told me that youre only beginning to explore...you've really got a talent.

So yes...The I hate you post was supposed to be in that overly dramatic anime kind of way. Hope you didnt take it wrong. Thanks for being here.

saying that English is the next class (since I'm pretty sure it's already been stated that PE is after lunch).
I posted this only because I couldn't remember seeing a schedule anywhere for our class, and the only one I know we went through was Physics.

I posted this only because I couldn't remember seeing a schedule anywhere for our class, and the only one I know we went through was Physics.

Your attempts at subterfuge aren't fooling me BN! It's obvious you're just trying to sabotage this thread so that it never again becomes a threat to Trans-D's title of Most-Posted-in-Game! No one's fooled man, just give it up! I mean, it's only a game for cryin' out loud!!

::wink

I just wanted to say Cottus, that I dont hate you. In fact, I am thouroughly impressed by your commitment to the boards, excellent well researched posts filled with esoterica and as icing, you are a damned fine artist with a serious career as an illustrator or even comic artist. Seriously...from what you have told me that youre only beginning to explore...you've really got a talent.

So yes...The I hate you post was supposed to be in that overly dramatic anime kind of way. Hope you didnt take it wrong. Thanks for being here.

It's cool man. You know I got nothin' but love for ya!! You my peeps!! ((If there was a smiley that mimed beating one's fist against one's heart and then flashing the peace sign in the gangsta fashion I would use it here, but since there isn't one you'll just have to use your imagination.))

It's cool man. You know I got nothin' but love for ya!! You my peeps!! ((If there was a smiley that mimed beating one's fist against one's heart and then flashing the peace sign in the gangsta fashion I would use it here, but since there isn't one you'll just have to use your imagination.))
I think ::getsome is as close as we get to "gangsta" smilies.

Looks like I won't be playing after all. Oh well. Too busy! I have work and Prometheans Unbound, plus other stuff...sorry guys.

And we all know I'd spend my first 10 NP on getting some tentacle hentai theme built into my character to harass defenseless schoolgirls with. I'm thinking 3 NP for a dot of Immobilize, 3 NP for a dot of Bodymorph (to look like a hentai demon), 3 NP for a dot of Mega-Dexterity with the Omnidexterity enhancement, and of course...1 NP for Body Mod: Tendril, sprouting from my crouch.

So maybe its not such a bad thing that I won't be joining in.

Schoolgirls beware! My nova name is the Noodley Appendage!

I'm really impressed by all the PCs so far - everyone's doing a great job of getting into spirit of the setting. The effort people are putting in is appreciated - especially the various helpful & interesting links people have posted, and other such little tidbits of 'Japan Lore' & language. Keep up the good work all!

::thumbup

Now...Im sure most of you have seen my picture on the 'roster' page. I fell in love with it when I saw it.

My questions...what damage would thoes axe things do? From the sheer size and sharpness I would think 6d~8d Lethal...but I was wondering what people thought.

Now...Im sure most of you have seen my picture on the 'roster' page. I fell in love with it when I saw it.

My questions...what damage would thoes axe things do? From the sheer size and sharpness I would think 6d~8d Lethal...but I was wondering what people thought.

Yeah I was actually gonna comment on that pic but got distracted; that is a seriously tight pic man! Good choice.

As for damage, I think in the end it'll come down to what our "Resident Storyteller" thinks, but here's my two cents nonetheless. A mundane sword does 5d10, but that's a perfectly mundane, average sword. Better made and/or larger/sharper/longer/more curved blades would do more damage than this up to (IMHO) about 7d10 (though at this point we're probably talking about a katana made by Masamune Okazaki himself).

In the case of your "axe things" the first thing to consider is their size. Two hunks of solid steel that big would take somewhere around Str 4 or 5 just to lift and carry, and even then they'd be completely useless for actuall combat because of their unwieldiness. But I'm assuming your future character will have some degree of Mega-Strength, so that's probably not an issue. But their weight would be a factor in determining how much damage they would do because the added weight adds extra kinetic force to any cutting blow, thereby increasing the blades' cutting power (again, this is assuming the weilder is even strong enough to swing those things in the first place).

So, long story short, depending on the quality of your character's blades, I'd say that 6d10 would be appropriate for a purely mundane blade of that shape and size, and 7-8d10 if they're of correspondingly higher quality. So basically (IMO) you hit the nail on the head.

I'd say start at 5dL like a sword, and depending on the quality of the workmanship, upgrade it a little with the Adventure! super-science rules for upgrading items.

I've got two possible paths I can go with my character - one I've figured out called "angel" - very anime; and the other I call "dreamer".

Angel is simple enough - Year 1: Soul Shield (force field), Shocking Grasp (quantum conversion/electricity), Inner Light (bioluminence); Year 2: Angel's Kiss (healing); Year 3: Flaming spear (quantum bolt/fire), Flight, Wings (body modification). Some of these I can buy early with xp.

For Dreamer, I want to be able to slip into people's minds, especially when they're daydreaming or sleeping and direct their dreams, pulling them out of nightmares - or if I had to, pulling them into one.

Would that be telepathic domination or telepathic channelling and mirage? I'd also appear in their dreams (or at least my nova self) and I'd like to be able to change how I look (so I blend into the dream). With telepathic channelling I could 'dream-teach' someone.

I'm also thinking of holo with extra sense (image and sound), sort of sharing a 'dream' among a lot of people.

Please help me with Dreamer.

I've got two possible paths I can go with my character - one I've figured out called "angel" - very anime; and the other I call "dreamer".
This may be overly optimistic. If you are placed in a situation where erupting would be very, very useful (read: needed to survive), you may not have a choice but to get something that's outside of both concepts.
For Dreamer, I want to be able to slip into people's minds, especially when they're daydreaming or sleeping and direct their dreams, pulling them out of nightmares - or if I had to, pulling them into one.

Would that be telepathic domination or telepathic channelling and mirage? I'd also appear in their dreams (or at least my nova self) and I'd like to be able to change how I look (so I blend into the dream). With telepathic channelling I could 'dream-teach' someone.

You only need channeling if they aren't within range of your other abilities.... but I'd go with mirage for most of this in combo with channeling for when they are really out of reach. Nightmares sounds a lot more like m-blast or (again) mirage.

This may be overly optimistic. If you are placed in a situation where erupting would be very, very useful (read: needed to survive), you may not have a choice but to get something that's outside of both concepts.

That's true. I've not spent my 10 NP yet just for that reason. But having a concept helps me learn.

From what I can tell...Potts isnt going to *force* us into erupting...he is leaving that decision to us...

Good suggestion on the emotion manip Cottus...an elegant solution, if you define it as coming from a dream effect...still if you *really* want them to see stuff Mirage is the way to go, though telepathy has canon examples of "being in someones mindscape" as well.

BTW, Ex...is the Dreamer concept based on that Paprika vid you showed us? ::happy

EDIT...Whoa! They changed the preview on the site...all new footage! Here...

From what I can tell...Potts isnt going to *force* us into erupting...he is leaving that decision to us...

hmm, I'm not entirely sure that will be the case for all of us...

While for the most part that is likely true, based on PC actions and NPC reactions, it may very well end up being the case that a PC might get into a life or death (or at least serious injury) situation.

I think what Alex is more trying to get to though, is that the story was not designed for the players to already have figured out what their upcoming nova point expenditures are going to be, and simply be waiting for the first, or best, opportunity to erupt in a situation that garners that particular outcome (even though if you go back far enough into the OOC forum that is exactly what I had done... I'm better now though). Instead I believe the goal is to enjoy the baseline rping, and then if a situation arises where eruption might make sense, then handle it from there using your DM approved 'dramatic editing' to ensure you get a character you want to continue playing.

I think the one of the most important things that people tend to forget when building novas is the concept of eruption and wish fulfillment. I think many of us, myself included, come up with the concept of the high school athlete who erupts into, no surprise, the very athletic, physical nova. Or, on the flip side, the genius kid who erupts into, you guessed it, the mega-genius with telepathic powers... or some such... But I think the point of wish fulfillment is meant to be much the opposite; the genius geek who was always beat up on at school erupts as a physical juggernaut, or the star quarterback who was always secretly ashamed of his bad grades erupts as the mega-genius inventor.

To that end, I think the most productive thing to do for your character concept right now is to try to understand what it is your character most wants to be, or the quality they are most ashamed of. By identifying that, you will likely be able to identify multiple powers that might fit the bill.

As an example, my character Kazuki is the typical weak computer geek that is basically forgotten around school, who happens to have a crush on the beautiful bad girl and loves the XWF. If/when he erupts, it will definately be with physical mega-attributes and/or physical powers (whether that means force field and density increase, elemental mastery, or something else entirely will depend on his eruption circumstances), as well as likely dots to boost his appearance towards the top end of the human scale (likely won't have the points for mega-att). What I know for certain is that he won't acquire subtle powers like mirage, holo, disrupt and the like; his ultimate wish is to be seen and standout.

Ok, sorry for the rant, does any of that make any sense?

Archived