Aberrant RPG - Nova Survivors in Trinity

metaphysician

The Colony. ;)

The people who make it will be...

The D-League (went to Eden)

Perhaps that Antarctic group (ditto)

We know a faction of novas will hide out in Orbit and/or in Japan (many will be murdered by the Colony)... but of this group we're talking T2M survivors and the Japanese equiv.

Math Boy probably left the Teragen and fled to Japan (which would explain a lot).

Other than that... we might see a few people who hide... but with out Adapt just old age might kill some people.

Im a fan of the buendia theory, because it's cool and the developers all but outright said that they were going toward that. makes Eufiber Sinister. Also, Alex, great call on the mathematician explaining the Nihonjin situation. I bet Core International is still alive and kicking...

Re: The Mathematician-

IIRC, it's stated in Aberrant: Teragen that the Mathematician effectively lobotomizes himself with his powers when the Un declares war on the aberrant novas. He was all for it in the abstract sense, but couldn't cope with the real situation as well as he had previously thought.

Re: Nova survivors-

Agreed on the Daedelus League & Protectors surviving to the Trinity Era - they took the smart route in establishing their extrasolar colony worlds.

Also agreed about Buendia surviving to become the Colony. I don't consider regular eufiber sinister in & of itself, but there are so many horrendous ways that it could be abused via a "eufiber mastery" power which I can easily see Buendia having.

The Japanese contingent is a murkier case (and deliberately so). Depending on the ST's desires, Nippon could have anywhere from a dozen to none of the "old guard" novas left by 2122. I don't think that *any* of the "spaceguard" novas survived the Colony's attack, though.

Aside from a possible few nova hermits, I'd expect that 90% of the remaining eximorphs on Earth are full-fledged aberrants.

Also agreed about Buendia surviving to become the Colony. I don't consider regular eufiber sinister in & of itself, but there are so many horrendous ways that it could be abused via a "eufiber mastery" power which I can easily see Buendia having.

What would turn Buendia into the "monster" we understand the Colony to be? I don't mean in appearance, what has changed in the seemingly innocent fashion designer to make him the most feared Aberrant of the Trinity age? Is it just Taint, if so how did he get so much? Or is there some other element of his past that changes his outlook?

The Japanese contingent is a murkier case (and deliberately so). Depending on the ST's desires, Nippon could have anywhere from a dozen to none of the "old guard" novas left by 2122. I don't think that *any* of the "spaceguard" novas survived the Colony's attack, though.

I think I remember AsAs stating that none of the remaining Japanese Novas has the ability to warp. So if any has lived through the encounter, he would have a really really hard time getting back to earth ...

I think I remember AsAs stating that none of the remaining Japanese Novas has the ability to warp. So if any has lived through the encounter, he would have a really really hard time getting back to earth ...

The Colony's attack in 2103/4 was met by just about every space capable Nova Nihon had, and they were all wiped out. I agree that any who survived who didn't have Warp would have a hard time getting back, but its reasonable to assume they had Flight of some kind and ~20 years to to get cack in so far.

IIRC, it's stated in Aberrant: Teragen that the Mathematician effectively lobotomizes himself with his powers when the Un declares war on the aberrant novas. He was all for it in the abstract sense, but couldn't cope with the real situation as well as he had previously thought.

This was just one of the possibilities of the way the NOLK would work out. Another had him more dominate, yet another had him withdrawing.
B pretty much to have Eufiber Mastery; I don't see any other power that could explain what he does. Though granted, he could have something that's unlisted or just break the rules.
Agreed.
Aside from a possible few nova hermits, I'd expect that 90% of the remaining eximorphs on Earth are full-fledged aberrants.
Also agreed... and it might be worse. Trinity type baselines *expect* to become monsters if they erupt. Then even if they don't they never get any training and they have to start buying things tainted just to survive.
What would turn Buendia into the "monster" we understand the Colony to be? I don't mean in appearance, what has changed in the seemingly innocent fashion designer to make him the most feared Aberrant of the Trinity age? Is it just Taint, if so how did he get so much? Or is there some other element of his past that changes his outlook?
Time, stress. Assume that B has Q5 for Elemental Mastery. Assume he started with Taint 3.

In 2008 B was one of the most active novas around and he had to create his empire. Probably *thousands* of people were wearing his clothes, not all of them novas.

Translation: He pushes himself pretty hard and he never takes a few months off to burn off tempt taint.

"Pushes himself pretty hard" is code for "throws power maxes pretty often" or "buys things tainted". You can do that sort of thing once or twice and not have a problem, but when it's a lifestyle and we're talking decades to centuries, having problems is certain.

And then we have the killer. The Colony presumably has Q8, so that's +3 Taint right there. Also, if he picked up a mental disorder at Taint 6 or 7 (very common) then he might have gone mad right there and gotten more without a problem.

This was just one of the possibilities of the way the NOLK would work out. Another had him more dominate, yet another had him withdrawing.
Agreed, just dug out my copy of Aberrant: Teragen & rechecked the NOLK material.

Re: Buendia-

Time, stress. Assume that B has Q5 for Elemental Mastery. Assume he started with Taint 3.

In 2008 B was one of the most active novas around and he had to create his empire. Probably *thousands* of people were wearing his clothes, not all of them novas.

Translation: He pushes himself pretty hard and he never takes a few months off to burn off tempt taint.

"Pushes himself pretty hard" is code for "throws power maxes pretty often" or "buys things tainted". You can do that sort of thing once or twice and not have a problem, but when it's a lifestyle and we're talking decades to centuries, having problems is certain.

And then we have the killer. The Colony presumably has Q8, so that's +3 Taint right there. Also, if he picked up a mental disorder at Taint 6 or 7 (very common) then he might have gone mad right there and gotten more without a problem.

One other factor to consider is that his nova powers are/were the only reason he was able to become a billionaire in the first place. Prior to his eruption, he was just another beach bum - if he wasn't outright destitute, he was certainly living on a "hand to mouth" basis. That's some pretty heavy pressure to keep as much money flowing in as possible. Combine that with his lack of knowledge about the risks of Taint, & it's easy to see why someone with that kind of background would put getting money way ahead of personal health.

Re: Another group of survivors-

I'd think that most of the non-Taintmonkey breeder novas could/would have survived to the 2120s, simply due to the pressures of having had to live as fugitives on 21st Century Earth. Compare that with the chance to live free & openly on an extrasolar colony world, without fear of harassment/coercion/assassination, with a friendly & trustworthy population of baselines and novas. Given that choice, it certainly seems like a ticket to (a relative) Paradise AFAICT.

Yeah. In theory you could erupt with dorm 5 and just leave it up. But you'd be pretty old by the Trinity time.

But this implies there's a pool of "hidden" novas out there already on the Earth, whether or not they were around in the golden years.

::blink Perhaps I misworded my last post. I wasn't implying that there would've been any "hidden novas" on Earth after 2063 (aside from the odd handful or two of hermits), I was implying that 99% of the non-Taintmonkey breeder novas would've leapt at the chance to go extrasolar & ditch Earth. The only non-Taintmonkey novas I recall not being sick of Earth (to the point that they were willing to defend it) were the "spaceguard" novas.

Yeah. In theory you could erupt with dorm 5 and just leave it up. But you'd be pretty old by the Trinity time.

But this implies there's a pool of "hidden" novas out there already on the Earth, whether or not they were around in the golden years.

I vaguely recall reading the Dormancy sectionof the APG recently and it said or at least implied that evenwith Dorm up you stillage at the rate you would as a Nova, so a M-STA + Adaptability would still age real slow even while in Dorm.

RE: Breeder Novas

True, but it's unclear whether or not Eden's evac was all that well publicized.

I vaguely recall reading the Dormancy sectionof the APG recently and it said or at least implied that even with Dorm up you still age at the rate you would as a Nova, so a M-STA + Adaptability would still age real slow even while in Dorm.
Maybe... sounds like an ST call. He could say you age as a nova without your powers... or require you to undorm once in a while.

From the core Dormancy Description, page 141:

Although she retains her basic nova characteristics (increased Endurance and Resistance, extended lifespan, etc.)

The key words there aren't "lifespan" but rather "basic nova characteristics".

Adaptability and it's effects aren't a "basic nova characteristic", but part of the basic nova package is an extended lifespan, which is probably what they're talking about.

RE: Breeder Novas

True, but it's unclear whether or not Eden's evac was all that well publicized.

I always figured they (meaning all the non-Taintmonkey nova colonists, not just those few who settled Eden) took the "sneak out in the middle of the night" route, aided by the huge distractions provided by the factional conflicts.

If you look at p.160 of Aberrant, on the Mega-Sta chart, the x entry says that "normal nova metabolism" grants you a 150+ lifespan( irregardless of mega-attributes or enhancements which don't function while dormed). Couple that with the dormancy description, it looks like a dormed nova (150+year base lifespan, no mega-sta or adaptablity active) could easily make it to the Trinity era. He'd be a lot older physiologically than if he'd used his full nova abilities, but there you are.

I always figured they (meaning all the non-Taintmonkey nova colonists, not just those few who settled Eden) took the "sneak out in the middle of the night" route, aided by the huge distractions provided by the factional conflicts.

Yeah, it states in SF that they moved people and equipment to Eden over the course of several years, never telling the recruits where they were going just determining if they were suitable and willing to go. The impressionis defintiely of a movement done by stealth, and the colony up and running for at least a couple of years before they voluntarily broke ties with Earth with the Ultimatum.

Also, do not discount any Nova with Temporal Manipulation; Aging Technique. Every few years, un-dorm, and use to stay young. Takes only a few turns(less than a minute) and dorm back down again, and drive away(get lost in traffic). Not popular, but, I think it is possible.

Also, do not discount any Nova with Temporal Manipulation; Aging Technique. Every few years, un-dorm, and use to stay young. Takes only a few turns(less than a minute) and dorm back down again, and drive away(get lost in traffic). Not popular, but, I think it is possible.

Doubt there would be many/any of these, Power. Temporal Manipulation is a massive power to begin with.

I would assume that the trouble with this whole thing is that Novas need to use their powers a bit to improve them, but so too much or they risk tainting themselves (in the Trinity setting at least). It would take massive self control to have all that power and not to use it. Any hidden survivors would need to be so weak it didn't matter, or in such remote places it didn't matter, or have a level of both intelligence and willpower that would beggar belief.

I would assume that the trouble with this whole thing is that Novas need to use their powers a bit to improve them, but so too much or they risk tainting themselves (in the Trinity setting at least). It would take massive self control to have all that power and not to use it. Any hidden survivors would need to be so weak it didn't matter, or in such remote places it didn't matter, or have a level of both intelligence and willpower that would beggar belief.
Add to that list Taint Monkeys who have Dorm 5. Sloppy Joe for example... assuming he had Dorm 5.

Um, just using a power doesn't hold any real risk of gaining excess Taint. As long as they have at least as much Dormancy as they have Taint, and spend most of their time Dormant, they'd be fine. After all, the main way to lose temp taint is dormancy.

In Trinity most novas erupt as taint monkeys. If they also have Dorm 5 they'd have an "out", and they'd use it.

If he popped as a full-on taint monkey, going Dormant to hide is probably not a high concern.
If he's a taint monkey then being a nova might be such a problem that it'd be worth while to just forget the whole thing.

Say someone has a family and doesn't want to give them up.

Or you think "novas are monsters".

Or you don't think you can avoid the Psions.

The stereotypical examples would be...

Traditional Werewolf (being powerful, crazy and killing everyone you meet is a real problem since mostly you're meeting friends and family).

Sloppy Joe (if he had Dorm 5 would he really be a member of the Teragen? Considering his deal with Sophia I doubt it).

Or basically anyone who views being a nova as a disadvantage and not an advantage.

...OR....

He might use Dorm 5 to live a double life. No one special by day, invisible thief by night. Note most novas can't (or at least couldn't) interact with most baselines without the army being summoned.

Archived