Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - The NoLK Discussion Thread

Blue Thunder

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I only have a sec, since Im getting kicked out of the net cafe, but the short answer is that yes, he can copy multiple people and yes, BT has already ruled that since Envys powers are permanent, it acts like a power block, draining the mega strength (and transfering it to Envy) *before* damage* is calculated.

And Envy wouldn't let jack take his place...Envy is a Marvel, and must act accordingly...which was the part I was hoping y'all would catch...

g2g...

And Envy wouldn't let jack take his place...Envy is a Marvel, and must act accordingly...which was the part I was hoping y'all would catch...

g2g...

Got that part.
So I only have a sec, since Im getting kicked out of the net cafe, but the short answer is that yes, he can copy multiple people and yes, BT has already ruled that since Envys powers are permanent, it acts like a power block, draining the mega strength (and transfering it to Envy) *before* damage* is calculated.
I think the word you are looking for is "Uncontrolled". Assuming this costs you juice, then it obviously isn't "always on". I.e. if we scanned you and checked to see if your power were on right now, would it tell us you were using it?

Slightly off topic that's a common confusion for people like Cyclops. His powers do cost him juice and he has run out on occassion. I don't think we've seen Rogue run out of juice, but we've never seen her absorb 30 people one after the other either.

It may be more of an uncontrolled effect from an IC point of view, but OOC, the uncontrolled description adds extra dice to your roll...

I suppose it would work if BT allowed it...he allowed it for Bahamuts shapeshift *shrug*

As for a quantum awareness thing Im not sure you could tell from a quantum scan...its just that the moment he comes into contact with another q-sig, his node tries to jack it...

I asked BT if I could use the touch aspect to power block and he said I didnt need to in this case since the permanent power would work automatically as I stated in my last post.

PS...ACK!!! Still waiting for my net to get turned on and the cafe was closed ARG!!! Now I only have 10 minutes on my roomies lappy.... ::brick

Something else I should add...unlike Rogue, skin-to-skin contact is not required to activate his power...gloves wont protect you or him. What this means is that if someone got wise and used a phone or electrical pole to bat him into a teammate, he couldn't keep himself from draining them.

So BT...if its uncintrolled I get extra dice on the power roll (though it would be a high level and not a medium level as medium level lets you use the power normally) In effect, nothing changes, but it adds +8 dice to the roll (like when Jack gets mad, he gets +8 to his shapeshift...)...what do you think?

Hmm...

Now that I have the book in front of me, Perm is for powers that have a range of self. Uncontrolled probably does work better, and that would also give a die bonus to use. That's the good news.

The bad news is two fold. One, you'd pay juice for everything. Two, using it as a power block is iffy. The power triggers when certain conditions are met, and contact presumably counts. Good so far, but since the power isn't on before you got hit (it turned on afterwards), I don't see how you could expect to drain someone before taking damage.

he couldn't keep himself from draining them.

How about power use? If you touch Bob do you also try to kill him with his own power?

Hmm...

Now that I have the book in front of me, Perm is for powers that have a range of self. Uncontrolled probably does work better, and that would also give a die bonus to use. That's the good news.

The bad news is two fold. One, you'd pay juice for everything. Two, using it as a power block is iffy. The power triggers when certain conditions are met, and contact presumably counts. Good so far, but since the power isn't on before you got hit (it turned on afterwards), I don't see how you could expect to drain someone before taking damage.

he couldn't keep himself from draining them.

How about power use? If you touch Bob do you also try to kill him with his own power?

So all the powers have a range of self, or touch, yes he pays juice for them each time (though the power tries to use the juice of the person being drained, ie quantum leech). Touch counts as the trigger, which was the basis for the power block question. From what BT told me, it doesn't activate after but simul (The question I asked was can I use it to power block by vampiring the strength from a novas punch (ICly. his node regards mega-strength as a "power"). His reply was that a power block wasn't necessary since the strngth would be vamped before the damage got through (in other words the mega-strength energy gets sapped on contact...regular strength damage isn't effected))

As for the second questioon Im not sure what you mean...so far as I know, Bobs powers are activation based, rather than "always on." So most likely he imprints the power, disrupts Bobs, gains immunity to Bobs power *and* should Bob try and use the power again, he will most likely take damage from being dissimunized. So I guess the answer is that he wouldnt automatically kill Bob, but would gain Bobs power for temporary use. Someone who had a permanent power on the other hand would transfer that limitation to Envy for the duration (since it is based on the peculiarities of the signature hijacked)

The real nasty part is that Envy can keep holding on and accumulating successes...(and yes, the person gets to resist each time as well).

...it doesn't activate after but simul...

With always on someone's putting their hand onto a live wire.

With uncontrolled they grab the wire and you turn on the juice.

Although even if true you could (and should) do a normal block (as opposed to a dodge). Example: I roll 3 succ to hit you, you roll 3 succ to block. As your power is uncontrolled it's a free action and we obviously touched.

Bobs powers are activation based, rather than "always on."

Yes.

Someone who had a permanent power on the other hand would transfer that limitation to Envy for the duration (since it is based on the peculiarities of the signature hijacked)

Depends on how many dots you disrupt. If you touch someone with 5 dots of Immolate and only get 3 succ, then you have however many dots of Immolate you have in Q-Imprint but they still have 2 dots of it left.

So most likely he imprints the power, disrupts Bobs, gains immunity to Bobs power *and* should Bob try and use the power again, he will most likely take damage from being dissimunized.

Hmm... well, that deals pretty well with Core.

On a side note, Disimunization and Q-Forge seem iffy with most resisted powers. Is a Telepath immune to her own power? Q-Forge without the extra just increases soak (which is useless), and then we have the lack of an element.

Example: I clone myself and have Q-Vampire (Strength) & Q-Leech. Obviously I can telepath my clone, which implies I can also Dominate (etc) my clone, but I'm really not sure about Vampire & Leech. And yes, I know Leeching a clone is pretty silly, but it seems like it might be possible. Ditto Disrupt.

(Probably we have to assume there are two clones and one is dominated into attacking the other).

okay. So its more the live wire version. And yes, he does have the total forgery extra (I did my homework remember? ::wink )
RE: Live Wire

Still sounds a lot more like Uncontrolled to me. But let's move on.

Does this thing work on baselines? Q-Imprint does, and I figure you’re spending at least 11 quantum. On an uncontrolled power that can get pretty self destructive pretty quick (although one could argue the emotion Envy is pretty self destructive so maybe that’s in theme). If your pool is out, does part of no-control mean you have to burn life levels?

Sorry if I'm late this week guys. Its holiday time, and I recently got laid off at work, so I'm trying to find another job too.
Ow. Sorry. Happy holidays indeed. ::ohmy

In theory I've got that sword hanging over my head as well... but I've still hope I'll die another day.

doesn't work on baselines. Not quite that many QPs. Most of the time it uses the target novas QPs. Doesn't burn life levels. Ive been slammed with the holidays too. Sorry bout the job BT...crappy timing. Best wishes and lots of love from friends and family...and presents! ::xmas

RE: Envy vs. Core

I see two ways Core steps on you, and one potential problem even if he doesn't.

Problem: You Vamp Core, and it doesn't reduce his strength below M-Str 5 (he has lots of boost).

Way to step on you #1: He doesn't close on you but just Q-Bolts you first thing.

Way to step on you #2: He throws an object at you.

Granted, I *think* what he'd do is start out with a punch, but then again he might not. He is an old hand at this.

Potential Solutions: Disguise youself as a mitoid. While he might open with a punch against a nova, he will defineatly do so against a mitoid.

Way to impliment solution: Shapeshift, meaning you start the game by absorbing Bob's powers before the match starts (well, bob or someone else).

RE: Envy vs. Core

I see two ways Core steps on you, and one potential problem even if he doesn't.

Problem: You Vamp Core, and it doesn't reduce his strength below M-Str 5 (he has lots of boost).

Way to step on you #1: He doesn't close on you but just Q-Bolts you first thing.

Way to step on you #2: He throws an object at you.

Granted, I *think* what he'd do is start out with a punch, but then again he might not. He is an old hand at this.

Potential Solutions: Disguise youself as a mitoid. While he might open with a punch against a nova, he will defineatly do so against a mitoid.

Way to impliment solution: Shapeshift, meaning you start the game by absorbing Bob's powers before the match starts (well, bob or someone else).

Ive thought about this actually. Yes, to a certain extent it does depend on the luck of the die but tactics plays a role and that is where Envy excels. Hes knows more about individual novas than almost anyone on the planet and has been studying for years. Core is a gladiatior...he is going to put on a good show and he is also very egotistical...If Envy challenges him to hand to hand (in front of the viewing public) theres a good chance Core will accept to please the fans.

A few other tidbits. Envy is probably faster, and will have the intiative (in all likelyhood gaining a substantial bonus from a tactics roll). Core can Boost, true...but thats only once per scene and Envy can leech and leech and leech...let him boost his strength and every hit either from Envy OR Core is going to sap him. ALSO/OR Envy can choose to disrupt his Boost...

As far as throwing objects or a bolt, Id have Envy dodge (and as I said, if I win initiative, Id have him delay his action for just such an event...he'll let Core go first to play to his pride and then sidestep and grab him, or whatever...)

Now Envy's pride (yep he has it too... ::smile ) as a Marvel probably means he wouldn't want to go in disguise...it defeats the purpose of his entrance. Keep in mind I built him as a tactical genius and a Mega-Int so to a degree i can get advice from BT also.

Anyway...I think its a juicy scene and an opportunity which is why I had him suggest it IC. Lets see what happens.

The REAL problem as I see it is keeping the other Novas at bay. Core will likely accept the one-on-one, but the rest of you will need to secure the perimiter, and we'll need a warper for fast entry and exit. I seriously doubt that the management will interfere (though they may try and make it more interesting...) since such an unscripted event is going to push their ratings through the roof. Thats one of the reasons Envy wants to taunt Core into using his Maxed attack after he is disimmunized...another reason to keep him in hand to hand for awhile is to keep leaching him...if Envy leeches him dry, Core may even try and burn health levels out of desperation. Envy doesn't want to kill or Injure Core per se, but if he burns himself up, he's less likely to become a martyr for his rabid fans. And of course, Envy gets to show how nasty his powers are... ::devil

Core can Boost, true...but thats only once per scene and Envy can leech and leech and leech...let him boost his strength and every hit either from Envy OR Core is going to sap him. ALSO/OR Envy can choose to disrupt his Boost...

RE: Disrupt

Does that work at a range?

RE: Boost being once per scene.

True, but what bothers me is that first punch. If you can take the first punch then the contest shifts to your favor, but you still need to take the first one. If he boosts before he attacks, and he should since it lasts basically forever, then even after a Vamp he might still be at Mega 5. Does Envy have the soak to take that kind of punch?

Core can Boost, true...but thats only once per scene and Envy can leech and leech and leech...let him boost his strength and every hit either from Envy OR Core is going to sap him. ALSO/OR Envy can choose to disrupt his Boost...

RE: Disrupt

Does that work at a range?

RE: Boost being once per scene.

True, but what bothers me is that first punch. If you can take the first punch then the contest shifts to your favor, but you still need to take the first one. If he boosts before he attacks, and he should since it lasts basically forever, then even after a Vamp he might still be at Mega 5. Does Envy have the soak to take that kind of punch?

Disrupt normally works at range. In this case it is part of the touch power.

Boost only goes up to Mega 5 remember so hes only going to get a couple of dots out of it. If he was smart or knew about Envy (which he wont) he might save it so he could re-up once after the first drain.

And as I said before, BT says that the Mega-Strength will get sapped before the damage gets applied. Of course, Envy won't just stand there grinning like an idiot, just in case Core rolls high or he rolls crappy. Most likely he delays an action and uses it to block (removing attack succeses) or possibly a dodge (followed by a quickness-powered second attack). Keep in mind that all of Envys powers are defensible only with willpower or q+node so he has the advantage in terms of Mega-dice.

And anyway...Lets get on with it! All this talking about what might happen is going to spoil the actual moment if we keep it up too much (though I can see how y'all might be curious after Envy makes a ballsy statement like he did...)

Also, in case nobody picked up on it, this is my way to get a lil lovin from that stillborn XWF tourney game idea that was floating for a bit. (What ever happened to that anyway? Interest just died...and y'all seemed *so* fired up for it!)

Disrupt... is part of the touch power.

Thought so.

Boost only goes up to Mega 5 remember so hes only going to get a couple of dots out of it.

The effect lingers. If he has 4 succ (bringing him from 3 to 5 with two succ unused), and you take away two levels of strength, isn't he still at 5?

Disrupt... is part of the touch power.

Thought so.

Boost only goes up to Mega 5 remember so hes only going to get a couple of dots out of it.

The effect lingers. If he has 4 succ (bringing him from 3 to 5 with two succ unused), and you take away two levels of strength, isn't he still at 5?

where are you getting that Alex? There no such thing as "oversuccess". Same thing with growth. If you have growth 2 and Mega Str 3 then the growth puts you up to 5 (maybe 6+ if you are Q6+). If someone vamped your strength by 3 you wouldn't still have 5 Mega Strength. Again, I have *no* idea where you get that from...the power takes efffect instantly and lasts the duration with the scene. It doesn't "linger."

This is going to require an ST ruling.

Let's use an easier example:

"Kong" has Mega-Strength 1, Strength 5, and 5 dots of Sizemorph:Growth. At full expansion he has +10 to his Strength, giving him Mega-Strength 5.

He gets hit by Q-Vamp (Strength) for 3 succ, so the Vampire gains +3 Strength and he loses three strength.

The question is, what is Kong's current strength? He lost three dots, but his Growth adds 10 dots, so by one interpretation he could still be at Mega 5.

Arguments for him being at 2: He lost the dots, so they are lost. 5 - 3 => 2.

Arguments for him being at 5: If he turned off Growth entirely he'd drop to normal strength 3, then if he turned it back on wouldn't he be back at Mega 5? His growth gives him +10, so 1 (his starting point) -3 +10 is 8, limited to 5 because of his quantum.

I know you are a vocal proponent of Boost, Alex (As am I), but I still think you are pulling it out of the air. Nothing in the text gives any indication, except to say that at Q5, attribute bonuses max at mega 5.
They do max at 5. That's why a +10 Strength is cut down to +4 in our example above, but as far as I can tell, the underlying power is still +10, not +4, and Vampire isn't affecting Growth at all, only strength.

You nail someone and push his strength down to 3. Is that different from a normal nova with a 3 strength?

Now both of them activate 5 levels of Sizemorph Growth. Shouldn't they both go up to M-Str 5? If so, shouldn't the first nova's strength stayed at 5 to start with if he had Growth up the entire time?

The logic is seductive, earier in the conversation you said that Core should save his Growth Boost to turn it on after he's Vamp'ed. Why should these powers have different effects if applied after Vamp?

For a different example, Your Q-Vamp has sucked up 5 levels of strength (putting him at M-Str 5), and he gets hit by another Q-Vamp for 3 levels (dropping him to M-Str 2). Now, can your guy Vamp someone else and get back to M-Str 5 or can't he?

But having said all that, Prof Pots rules are opposite to it, i.e. that all effects are on the potential maximum.

IMHO We simply don't have guidence from the book on this point, so this needs a house rule.

Yo SkyLion,

Should we divert to the face to face meeting?

Sure, since our toast seems to have wrapped things up nicely. Perhaps BT will post a narrative update or we just assume that everyone finishes eating if they do or whatever more or less quietly and retires to other parts of the estate.

So yeah, that sounds good. How about everyone posts a wrap-up of what they do after dinner...hang out in a certain part of the mansion, leave, whatever, etc...

As for me, Im calling it a night. I'll most likely have time to post while at work tommorow.

Sorry about the absence. I'm back now.

Wrapping up the meeting sounds about good. I'll post a "cap" narrarative to it soon, and then I'll start preparing stuff for Chapter 1. If you want to add anything else to the Prologue, now is the time.

Like I've said before, my plan for Chapters is to split the players up. This is because there are so many players that if they were all in one situation it would get confusing and hectic. Plus I wouldn't be able to give every character enough attention, and it also lets me (and you) cover more ground. For Chapter 1, so far I plan on splitting the players into two groups; I'll propose these groups before we start, obviously, and we'll discuss the details from there. I don't want to force anyone to do anything.

Chapters will likely have some kind of overarching theme or "goal" to them. Chapter 1 will be the Chapter where the Prometheans establish themselves, and also where the Night of Long Knives begins. Each Chapter after that will focus on some aspect of the NoLK, whether it be the defense of the Nursery or the fall of Scripture. Or...perhaps the destruction of the Nursery and the defense of Scripture; it depends on where the faction goes during the war, and what your goals become (they may even change over time). Remember that allies can quickly become enemies and enemies can quickly become allies. Once the war starts, the shit hits the fan.

I'll be posting some pre-game material over the coming days hopefully, to help set the stage. Feel free to PM me with anything, like suggestions or ideas for your character. There's a chance a new player or two will be introduced during Chapter 1 as well; the details are being hammered out.

Roach sits in the thinning dining hall and becomes a tad bored. Deciding some excitement may be out of the question, he turns to the room and those left in it.

"So eh...do we just sit here 'ntil they return, er we free te go? I dunno what Mr. Envy wanted fer me to do. What're ye'll thinking so far?"

I know you were just trying to kickstart us after the slow holidays Shade. Though Envy would have made it clear that the remaining terats should make themselves at home in the mansion (it *is* our enclave after all), before he excused himself to confer with Bob...

"I didn't have to keep these. I chose to. I am not him, and neither are you. Not anymore. And he wasn't our father...he was our catalyst. As for what that makes us? We are Novus, and we are Teras, and it is that which makes us brothers."Bob mentally translates,

*Yes, he can tollerate having me around. As for the rest... I'm not sure how I feel about having a baseline past.*

Bob replies,

"Alright brother, good."

Annnnnd CUT! thats a wrap folks! Seems like a good time for BT to narratively move the story forward.

forgot to say in there about Bob's "thought-bubble": Doesn't he have *many* baseline pasts? I mean...very few Novas are born that way and the only ones at this point in the timeline are in the nursery or Sophia Rouseaus belly...Did he think he was born a Nova?

forgot to say in there about Bob's "thought-bubble": Doesn't he have *many* baseline pasts? I mean...very few Novas are born that way and the only ones at this point in the timeline are in the nursery or Sophia Rouseaus belly...Did he think he was born a Nova?
What you've done is present him with a possible paradime change.

In theory, he has always been a single nova who used to be a baseline.

In practice, with all of his multiple memories and eruption distortions he could have been any of his victims. Going to any of their families and saying that he's 99% sure that he ate their son/daughter but there's a 1% chance that he actually is their long lost son/daughter but in a different body... was very unlikely to win friends and win over relatives.

Now he has a name, so there is at least the possibility that he could track down his pre-eruption relations and at least try to figure out which memories are his and at least try to connect to his memories and/or relations.

((Good job everyone. I really think everyone roleplayed their characters well. I can't wait until I have Chapter 1 ready so we can start this sucker.))

Thanks! So...uh...The Prologue was pretty long...do we get any XP? (smiles innocently and bats eyeslashes ::smile )

I look forward to killing your characters sending your characters through the Night of Long Knives.))

That was so wrong! ::tongue

Hello everyone. I suppose I should have sent some greetings sooner and I apologise for not doing so. Cottus Centimane (my bro) introduced me to this place and when he told me I might be able to join this game, I decided to try it out. So over the last few weeks I've been working with my bro and BT to create a character, and it looks like he is basically done now. Im just waiting for BTs confirmation that everything is okay. So chances are it wont be long before I'll be putting up more details about the character on the 'Meet the characters' section, but basically it appears I'll be playing the team 'brain'. Kyle Dighton, as I've named the character, wont really have any combat capabilities when I start out with him (though that is likely to change at least somewhat pretty quick) but his Mega-Mentals are quite impressive. Mega-Intelligence imparticular, being all the way up at 5. He will probably also end up as the teams 'mode of transportation' in many circumstances, as he also has the Warp power and from what BT has told me, no one else in the team does.

Oh, one more thing. I ask that everyone be patient with me. Im not completely new to role-playing. I have in fact played on various MU**s for a few years now. But this is my first attempt at a forum based game, and at least the first -official- tabletop game I've participated in. So it may take me a little time to 'settle in' so to speak.

Hey there brother of mine! Welcome!

You have 4 posts already? ::blink I must have missed your first couple... Oh well; belated Welcome on Board! and all that. ::cool

In case any of the rest of you were wondering, yes B90 is in fact my brother. My little brother. Except that's really more of a joke because at 6'5 or 6'6" he's a little more than half a foot taller than me. ::rolleyes But technically he's my little brother, so I still demand respect dagnabbit!! Fail to show me respect and I'll send him after you! He's tall, so he has good reach! That's important in fights!!

Archived