Aberrant RPG - Mega-Attributes & Comic Book Characters

Black Death

Hello all. A couple of years ago I tried running an Aberrant game based of the X-Men movies and it went well for a while. We had fun, but eventually moved on to another game.

Well with the new movie looming on the horizon, my players wanted to start a new X-Men game in a more high-powered Ultimate X-Men styled setting, which I am ALL for doing. I sat down and started modeling some of the more well-known characters to use as NPCs, when I stumbled across a problem that I hadn't really encountered before - Mega-Attributes.

Sure some are gimmes - the Juggernaught having Mega-Strength, Wolverine having Mega-Stamina & Perception. But might Charles Xavier possess some Mental and/or Social Mega-Attributes? Or could Magneto possibly possess Mega-Perception with enhancements like Electromagnetic Vision or Ultraperipheral Perception? And what about those delicious mutant babes possessing Mega-Appearance? ::wink Or perhaps even the Unearthly Beauty aberration?

I know that this is all ultimately up to how I decide to make the characters, but any inut would be appreciated. Thanks.

Statistically speaking, Mega-Attributes just give you extra dice to a roll, beyond that of the human norm. That said, Mega-Attributes fit in perfectly with an X-Men campaign. Beast may not possess actual superhuman genius, but he could still get away with Mega-Intelligence at one dot. And Emma Frost may not have the mutant power to look sexy (many would disagree), but that can't stop her from Mega-Appearance 1 or 2.

Basically, like I suggested at the White Wolf forums (under the name Lex Sama) a one or two dot limit would be appropriate for anyone that doesn't have any actual special abilities in that area. So Juggernaut could have Mega-Strength 4 since the Cyttorak powers betow him with superhuman strength, but Wolverine may be limited to Mega-Strength 1 (if even that) because his powers do not cover that.

Mega-Attributes work perfectly for any cinematic superhero campaign. One or two dots can give a superhero that little extra boost that sets them above his peers. Just make sure they don't go overboard, unless it fits with their powers.

As for Professor X, I can see him with Mega-Intelligence, Manipulation, Charisma, and Wits. Maybe at two dots each, minimum. He's the most powerful telepath in existance after all, and a smart guy besides that. Obviously, he would'nt have Mega-Dexterity.

Many of the X-babes seem to have Mega-App. Or they could just shell out that single nova point for a 5. If I had to give Jean Grey Mega-App I'd also give her First Impression. Marvel tends to use appearence pretty sublely (which is a pretty abby thing to do). Thor might have Awe Inspiring... or not. Ditto Captain America.

RE: Prof-X.

In abby terms I would build him with lots of Mega-Perception. While he doesn't hunt people down he also doesn't miss a lot and is the world's top telepath to boot.

The issue is less over how much to give him than which Enhancements. Psychic Awareness would be the stand out, but you could also give him something like Speed Reading or Linguistic Genius from the Mega-Int enhancements, or even something from the Mega-Wits.

Many of the X-babes seem to have Mega-App.

Hey, let's not forget the guys. Many male readers look over the fact that characters like Archangel, Gambit, Cyclops, and Iceman are attractive because they're too busy staring at the hoo-haws on the chicks. Though, I admit Emma Frost's costume is quite distracting. I can't even remember what happens on a page that shows her chest. I only remember that I enjoy it very much.

• 2 months later...
Maybe Angel and perhaps Gambit as well (Gambit almost needs Mega-Social stats just because he's a really social guy but he has an aberration. By abby rules he'd probably need them to deal with that -1).

That and Remy is just a pimp, so of course he needs Mega Socials.

Ok, now this is semi-OT, but I too was looking to run a game set in the Ultimate-verse since it has a less imposing backstory (only 13 trade paperbacks at the moment). I had some ideas on rule tweaks to make Aberrant work better for them. Tell me what you think and if you have any other suggestions.

• Ignore all references to Taint.
  • Abberations may be taken as Flaws, see AbPG.
  • Background Changes.

Node -> Channel (ignore taint references)

Eufiber disallowed, but similar suits at a rating of 3 are given out to X-Men team members. No quantum storage though, just armor and Attunement benefits.

While there is the occasional occurence that shows similarity to the Taint function, over all it just doesnt fit with my view on X-Men. Plus it feels like a hold over from WW's WoD games and the tragic hero stuff. I want my heroes to be heroes unless the player and I agree otherwise, not just guided by a game mechanic

Also, not every mutant is created equal. Most mutants would fall below 30 nova points.

Look at Cyclops. His Quantum Bolt ("Optic Blast") would surely be at 5 dots. It's extremely powerful. But he probably wouldn't have any other quantum powers. And his optic blast would have two weaknesses: he can't control it without a special visor or glasses, and his power is dependant upon solar energy. His visor is probably the evuivalent of a Gadget that can alter his Optic Blast with several different Extras, like widening the range and such. Beyond his optic blast, he has nothing else. Maybe some Mega-Attributes, like a dot or two in Wits or Stamina. I see a lot of nova points going towards Abilities, Attributes, and Backgrounds.

But then look at someone like Angel. He has the Flight power. And what else? Likely a dot in Mega-Dexterity and Stamina, and maybe even Appearance. But that's it. His Flight would likely not be very high in dots either, since he can only fly as fast as his wing can take him.

Then look at minor characters. Leech, the Morlock, has the Disrupt power. But beyond his ability to turn off mutant powers, he has nothing else. No Mega-Attributes, and I can't see him buying a lot of Backgrounds or Ability dots.

Then there are characters like Magneto, Professor X, Jean Grey, Havok, Apocalypse, Sinister, and others who are simply far beyond 30 nova points. Professor X would have the evuivalent of Quantum 6 and the most poerful Telepathy on the planet. Jean Grey would have at least Quantum 5, but with the Phoenix Force that could go into Quantum 8, or even 10. Remember, she destroyed a whole planet once as Phoenix.

Oh I completely agree. Although I might give Scott a single dot of MegaInt, that boy is fairly damn bright. Plus I've seen him do some pretty clever shit in his time. Which I suppose would be Wits, but I don't know if he's really clever or just plans so well he comes off as being clever.

RE: Taint

I'm not sure why this should be taken out. Aberrations do cause social problems, even in Marvel. Marvel mutants even have that 'the general public fears and hates them' bit which works well with taint.

However, it is pretty rare for characters to get more tainted, although it does happen. Jean Grey gets more Q and goes mad. Ditto Graviton.

RE: Cyclops

I'd give Cyc: Find Weakness & Accuracy. His power doesn't have weaknesses BTW, he has the aberrations: Uncontrollable and Feeding Requirement: Sunlight. Not always on, his power does cost him juice, on several instances we have seen him run out after 30-ish uses. He doesn't even need much of a gadget, just say that Ruby Quartz is always considered attuned to him and that does it right there. Just about everything else we have ever seen him do is Spray which is a gift from the firearms table if you have 4-5 dots of Q-Bolt.

RE: Angel

BioMod: Wings. Mega-App (First App), Mega-Perception(Telescopic Vision), Healing. I'm not sure Mega-Stamina is needed.

RE: Phoenix Force

I don't lean towards giving people things that they've only ever used once. That's what Powermaxes are for. Having said that, she does seem to be a heavy hitter perhaps reaching up into Q8... which actually would work pretty well since that would let her do a Powermax for Mastery X2. She doesn't seem to do things normally which require anything above Mastery (as opposed to M x2 or x3). Part of the problem is sometimes she's written as Q10 and sometimes as Q6.

The Molecule Man is a lot more consistant. He does something with his power and his victum has *NO* chance to resist, even if they are Q6 themselves.

RE: Leech

Interestingly he needs to be a Q6 because of what he can do.

Disrupt, multiple powers, area, Mastery (no extended range)

Q-Vampire, Area, doesn't get the stats, Mastery (no extended range).

Aberrations: Green Skin, Uncontrollable powers.

Leech needs Mastery because no one seems able to resist his powers, and his powers have multiple extras, and he doesn't run out of juice. Even if you give him 5 dots in Disrupt that still wouldn't be enough since his power just plows through anyone elses and I don't see how he could be throwing all that many dice to make it work.

But then look at someone like Angel. He has the Flight power. And what else?

Since molting the semi-sentient evil metal poisoned apocalypse wings and growing back his fine feathers, Archangel has kept the prefix and gained the ability to heal...

Eh, its been a while since I read X-Men comics. The stories and characters changed quite a bit from what I liked and was used to. After Onslaught, Joseph, and Age of Apocalypse I just couldn't read anything else. I popped in a year or two ago in an attempt to get back into things but then I read about Cassandra Nova (read: worst Marvel character ever). So I'm not really aware of the current state of things beyond Scarlet Witch's 198 mutants dealie, which I'm not too sure was a good idea on the part of Marvel. I manage to peek into a new issue every now and then, though...

I'm thinking some of the powers will need to be reworked to fit into the X-Men setting. The Clone power as it is in the main book and Player's Guide just won't do Multiple Man justice.

I'm not sure why this should be taken out. Aberrations do cause social problems, even in Marvel. Marvel mutants even have that 'the general public fears and hates them' bit which works well with taint.

As for Quantum levels, I don't think having high Quantum (or whatever it gets called here) should add to Taint. Professor X is surely not tainted. In fact, maybe tossing out Taint entirely is a good idea. Aberrations can simply be bought as Flaws. Taint represents how Quantum makes a nova change into a monster (or if you're a Terat, into "something more eveolved"). A few Marvel mutants may make this kind of tranformation (Like Karl Lykos when he tried juicing Havok and turned into Sauron) but it's a really small number. Most mutants never make that kind of tranformation of accrue that kind of energy. Most mutants just get greater control over their powers and develop them more as years go on.

I'm not sure Mega-Stamina is needed.

I say this because he has to fly everywhere. That's a lot of energy.

Question: How would Jubilee's powers be handled? She basically shoots fireworks from her hands. Would that be Strobe and Bioluminescense? Perhaps she has one dot in Quantum Bolt; there've been instances where she's managed to cause harm with her powers.

I'm thinking some of the powers will need to be reworked to fit into the X-Men setting. The Clone power as it is in the main book and Player's Guide just won't do Multiple Man justice.

Multiple Man:

Q7.

5-7 dots of Clone + Extra Clones + Mastery.

Armor 3 (supposedly he absorbs Energy, but that just makes him harder to hurt and activates clone).

Aberrations: Multiple Personalities. Accidental Activation (Clone).

Mentor or Contacts 5: Other Clones.

Mostly when he creates clones they last a scene, but we also hear about him sending out clones for years. His contacts deals with that since it’s expensive to make clones last forever and mostly they don’t.

As for Quantum levels, I don't think having high Quantum (or whatever it gets called here) should add to Taint. Professor X is surely not tainted.

No, he’s plenty tainted, its just that he’s a nice guy and we don’t like to think about him that way.

Aberrations:

Minor: Hairless.

Medium: Obsession: His Vision.

Medium: Insanity: Some times multiple personality, sometimes something else.

Major: Paralyzed

Note I would also give him taint resistance so he always stays pretty functional. And no matter what happens, no matter how he is cured, he ends up paralyzed again. Even if a healer is around who can heal things like broken spines. BTW the X-men have had long contact with two. The first is the StarJammers. The second was the Morlock Healer. On a good day with some writers Phoenix probably can do it too.

In fact, maybe tossing out Taint entirely is a good idea. Aberrations can simply be bought as Flaws.

Not a bad idea, but I don’t think it fits the setting. How many really powerful Q types do you know who don’t have Aberrations?

Taint represents how Quantum makes a nova change into a monster (or if you're a Terat, into "something more eveolved"). A few Marvel mutants may make this kind of tranformation (Like Karl Lykos when he tried juicing Havok and turned into Sauron) but it's a really small number. Most mutants never make that kind of tranformation of accrue that kind of energy. Most mutants just get greater control over their powers and develop them more as years go on.

Meaning very few Marvel types are ever allowed to buy more Q. But that’s also true in Abby. If you don’t buy things tainted and/or increase Q, then you don’t get much in the way of aberrations. If Marvel had lots of characters with boat loads of power and no aberrations, then you’d need to get rid of taint. But something to keep in mind is that most of the Marvel mutants have *more* in the way of aberrations than abby’s novas. Weird eyes or what not.

I say this because he has to fly everywhere. That's a lot of energy.

Ha, that’s a point.

Question: How would Jubilee's powers be handled? She basically shoots fireworks from her hands. Would that be Strobe and Bioluminescense? Perhaps she has one dot in Quantum Bolt; there've been instances where she's managed to cause harm with her powers.

Give her a Q1 with Biolum, Q-Bolt, and Strobe. You might also give her a dot in Mega-Dex since she’s supposedly an Olympic level athlete and 5 dots in Athletics doesn’t fit the rest of the character.

Um...his hairlessness comes from being a geezer, doesn't it? That has nothing to do with his being a mutant. And his paralysis happened from an accident didn't it? And I wouldn't say he's obsessed with his vision any more than any of the other X-Men. Magneto is obsessed with his vision. The only other thing I can see is that his powers have a habit of supressing his feelings from himself, like how his telepathy managed to hide his sexual attraction to Jean Grey for a few decades.

Um...his hairlessness comes from being a geezer, doesn't it? That has nothing to do with his being a mutant. And his paralysis happened from an accident didn't it? And I wouldn't say he's obsessed with his vision any more than any of the other X-Men. Magneto is obsessed with his vision. The only other thing I can see is that his powers have a habit of supressing his feelings from himself, like how his telepathy managed to hide his sexual attraction to Jean Grey for a few decades.
Even in the old flash backs, i.e. before he even met Magneto, he still doesn't have hair. The first mutant he ever met was the Shadow King and Chuck didn't have hair even then.

Paralysis is more tricky. Granted, it's always an accident that 'causes' it, but even when advanced treatements are around he doesn't get treated. Briefly he had legs again after he was given an entire new body, and then guess what, once again he ended up in a wheel chair. It a healer can't cure it, and it always comes back, then by abby standards it's taint.

Obsession could be in there because no matter how much the dream gets dragged through the mud it always comes back. It also explains why he'd round up a group of children to impliement it, and why even his students seem to become obsessed with it.

Insanity is a tougher sell since it doesn't come up very often. But I recall millions of Micronauts being slaughtered by Prof X's alternate personality. And then we have the same situation come up again with the creation of Onslaught. And then also the Prof's unborn twin. How many times does the Prof have to go mad before we call it a problem?

What the Prof is, is functional. He doesn't gibber. He doesn't foam at the mouth. All of his little oddities fit well enough with the character that it's hard to tell they are there. But how many hairless world-class-visionaries have you met in wheelchairs who periodically threaten to kill/enslave everyone around them?

As for Quantum levels, I don't think having high Quantum (or whatever it gets called here) should add to Taint. Professor X is surely not tainted.

No, he’s plenty tainted, its just that he’s a nice guy and we don’t like to think about him that way.

Aberrations:

He's congenitaly bald and magneto paralyzed him before he formes the x-men...

Hes not insane and doesnt have multiple persoanlities...though Onslaught was a one-time deal...

A better example of aberrations are gambits eyes, beasts blue fur, and rogues and cyclops uncontrollable powers.

Gambit, Beast, Rogue, etc are all physical and obvious.

The mental aberrations are much harder to identify. Is Pax crazy or just obsessed? How about Mal? Magneto? It's even harder with comics because some writers put them in and some don't. Is Mal a Meglomaniac or does he just 'deserve it'. Rogue supposedly had a split personality for a long time, it's what led her to join the X-men, but that little problem didn't actually come into play for a long time.

In general, if the character wouldn't be played any different if he had insanity "X", then that's a good indication that it is present.

If I were seriously building Prof X I'd give him "Hairless" as an aberration and leave it at that. Magneto I'd give an outright insanity to, some flavor of obsession.

In abby terms she was only able to buy them.

Rogue (Traditional): {Q-Mimic, Stun Attack or maybe Q-Vampire Int, Telepathy} (all linked). Armor, M-Str, Flight, M-Stam, Psi-Shield

Aberrations:

Anima Banner: Random depending on who she mimics.

Insanity: Multiple Personality

Uncontrollable Powers: Q-Mimic

Erm. I believe it's called Quantum Imprint. Actually, though, Rogue can't be realistically recreated with Aberrant rules, unfortunately. However, were I a ST and wanting to recreate her, I would do something like this:

Q6

Powers:

Q-Vampire w/ (Q6 min)Extra: Lifeforce Drain (Drains HLs in the case of non-novas, all Powers, Mega-Attribs, and HLs (concurrently) in the case of novas; no roll necessary, but only 2 dots/HLs per round)

Q-Leech

Telepathy (weakness: touch only)

(All three powers are linked)

Aberrations:

Uncontrollable power: Q-Vampire

Uncontrollable power: Q-Leech

Uncontrollable power: Telepathy

Mental Disorder: Echoes (Mid-level, hears/feels those she's drained forever after, may develop into MP)

... Just my 2 cents. ::biggrin ::wink

No Imprint. Imprint only copies powers. Rogue actually drains them such that as she gets their powers, they lose them in direct proportion. That's Q-Vampire all the way.

And yeah, a permanent drain as in the case of Ms. Marvel requires her to buy the powers/mega-attribs, but those are relatively simple to add on and account for, which is why I didn't list them.

No Imprint. Imprint only copies powers. Rogue actually drains them such that as she gets their powers, they lose them in direct proportion. That's Q-Vampire all the way.
Rogue's discription says she drains powers, but that's just theme. Mechanically Q-Vampire doesn't work because she'd then need to buy Q-Vampire for every power, skill, and Mega-Stat, and on top of that she'd need to know which one to use. And then having done this it still wouldn't work because Q-Vampire lets you absorb the strength from 5 baselines and get Mega-Strength. Similarly she doesn't need Q-Vamp (Health) because she doesn't get more healthy by draining people and draining them doesn't injure them (other than turning them off). She can't kill with a touch.

Mechanically what Rogue does is Q-Imprint with something else linked that makes her victims unconscious.

Um. k. In answer to all your objections to Quantum Vampire: that's why I made up a new, Q6 minimum extra for Q-Vampire (see previous post).

And yes, Rogue can, as far as I've been able to tell, kill someone if she touches them long enough. Certainly that's the case in the movies, Xavier says as much in the first one. Unless the comic book versions are significantly different from the movie and cartoon versions, she's definately lethal. Also, draining HLs doesn't heal, as per the book it just adds bruised HLs, which makes a certain amount of sense, imho.

As for the extra, on further review I might modify it so that the HL drain on novas doesn't happen until after mega-attribs and powers are drained, up the HL drain on baselines to 3HLs per round, and limit the duration; it's not a sure thing, just a suggestion.

Rogue's mutant victims rarely fall unconscious, unless she holds on for too long they just lose their powers. Imprint just doesn't cut it for that, but Q-Vampire does, with a little modification.

Unless you modify Q-Vampire with a new extra, like I did, Rogue is pretty much impossible to do using Aberrant mechanics, which I believe I stated before, though perhaps not so bluntly.

The draining isn't just a theme, Alex, it's what's actually going on. As for the fatal effects of Rogue's powers: Ms. Marvel was killed/absorbed by Rogue, QED Rogue's powers are fatal.

The draining isn't just a theme, Alex, it's what's actually going on. As for the fatal effects of Rogue's powers: Ms. Marvel was killed/absorbed by Rogue, QED Rogue's powers are fatal.
And how many times has this actually happened? Once? Again, if it only happens once and especially if the PC doesn't seem able to repeat the effect, then giving them a power which allows them to do it all the time doesn't sound good.

RE: Q6 Extra.

I would call an extra which allows someone to Vamp everything Q-min 6. The potential for abuse is so rife that it should be higher than that or simply not allowed. This is especially true since there already exists an extra which allows the draining of mulitple attributes. We also have the issue of Enhancements and Skills not being drainable (although they can be copied).

And then even if we gave her this broken extra she still wouldn't work. Take Thor. Assume Thor has Mega-Str 5, Mega-Stam 4, Mega-Dex 1, 5 dots in Weather Manip, and 5 dots in Q-Bolt.

If she has Q-Vamp, she needs 20 success over Thor's willpower roll, which is going to take a long time and require many, many rolls.

If she has 5 dots in Q-Imprint, she touches him once and gets them all. Granted, she also needs a way to KO him but that's a different issue.

Rogue:

Linked Powers: 5 Dots in Q-Imprint, 1 Telepathy, 5 Disin (weak: Only to KO for as long as Imprint).

This mechanically does pretty much everything we've seen Rogue do, and it does it for Q5. She gets someones powers and they are KO'ed with a touch. Whether or not her victims still have their powers doesn't matter since they are KO'ed. I didn't include Q-Leech or Q-Vampire(Health) because AFAICT we don't see her get more healthy or less tired when she nails someone.

Again, the extra doesn't allow her to Vamp everything. It merely allows her to vamp Mega-Attribs, Powers, and HLs. That's all. No regular attribs, no abilities, and nothing but HLs from baselines.

Once again, I would point out that her powers are portrayed as being fatal in the movies as well as in the cartoon. I really don't know about the comic book Rogue, since I never read any comic books, ever.

5 dots of Q-Imprint doesn't necessarily copy all of another nova's powers, just 5 of them, and in fact can be used to copy regular abilities and/or attribs from both baselines and novas, which Rogue doesn't seem able to do. Moreover I've seen Rogue copy many, many, many mutants' powers without those mutants passing out at all. In fact, they seem weakened and and their powers don't work, but they're fully conscious. My Q-6min extra covers this effect while allowing for more severe effects the longer she holds on, which is more consistent with what I've seen than her instantly getting (some) of their powers while they suddenly pass out, which is what you're proposing.

I would call an extra which allows someone to Vamp everything Q-min 6. The potential for abuse is so rife that it should be higher than that or simply not allowed. This is especially true since there already exists an extra which allows the draining of mulitple attributes. We also have the issue of Enhancements and Skills not being drainable (although they can be copied).

And then even if we gave her this broken extra she still wouldn't work. Take Thor. Assume Thor has Mega-Str 5, Mega-Stam 4, Mega-Dex 1, 5 dots in Weather Manip, and 5 dots in Q-Bolt.

If she has Q-Vamp, she needs 20 success over Thor's willpower roll, which is going to take a long time and require many, many rolls.

::huh ::brick ::rolleyes

Q-Vampire w/ (Q6 min)Extra: Lifeforce Drain (Drains HLs in the case of non-novas, all Powers, Mega-Attribs, and HLs (concurrently) in the case of novas; no roll necessary, but only 2 dots/HLs per round)

I'd really appreciate it if you'd actually read the Extra I wrote up again, Alex. Your example of Thor ignores not that the drain is concurrent, i.e. the powers, mega-attribs, and HLs are all drained at once, that no roll is required, and that the drain occurs at a steady rate each round. In fact, pretty much the entire extra I wrote up. Your example is therefore entirely moot. Same with your objection that it allows her to drain everything. Things you'd know if you'd actually bothered to read what I wrote. ::brick ::rolleyes ::tongue

That being the case, I think I'm done arguing over this with you. ::tongue ::rolleyes

I'd really appreciate it if you'd actually read the Extra I wrote up again, Alex.
Whoops. Sorry about that, and this is the second time I've misread that. ::blush Looking back...

You get them, they do not, and you get everything. With existing rules you'd need something like Q10 to do this, i.e. Disrupt + Extra Power x20 and/or Q-Vamp + Extra Stat x20 and/or Q-Imprint x20. Granted you've got some weaknesses built into there, but still.

I really don't know about the comic book Rogue, since I never read any comic books, ever.
Ah. Basically it's a 30 year soap opera.
5 dots of Q-Imprint doesn't necessarily copy all of another nova's powers, just 5 of them, and in fact can be used to copy regular abilities and/or attribs from both baselines and novas, which Rogue doesn't seem able to do.
She can copy abilities from baselines, even in the related fiction from the movie (she picked up her boy friend's athletic skills although that wasn't shown in the movie proper).

If you want to get real technical Rogue doesn't always appear to get 'everything', i.e. she doesn't appear to normally have Ms. Marvel's enhanced senses. She lives in a world were most super types only have one or two powers so five is high enough that we wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

However, I admit my 'version' of her wouldn't do everything that is claimed for her. But it would do most of what we see her do, and it would it at Q5.

• 3 months later...

Referring back to Angel for a sec...he's also fairly strong(lifting wise), and his body is adapted to high-altitude conditions to boot.

Wolverine is a mass of Mega-Atts.

Prof X, Jean are both nasty.

Colossus specifically has nada when he's not transformed.

Rogue is icky.

Beast is easily holding two or three Mega-Atts.

Gambit is a Mega-Dex and Mega-Social.

Cyke is well...a one trick pony with a real good trick.

Iceman is scary, but only when iced-up.

Magneto...good god. M-Int for sure, with the crap he comes up with.

Just some ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

Mega-Wits really should have the "Tactical Prodigy" enhancement, Tactics is Wits, isn't it?

Mega-Chr would be good for Cyk, his mind must be pretty likeable considering all the female telepaths want him.

Mega-Manip? I don't see it but it's been a while since I've followed the x-men.

And I'd give Magneto gobs of Mega-Chr. It isn't just his power or even his view that makes him dangerous, it's the way he runs around aquiring mutant followers. I remember Toad talking about how many times he'd gotten shafted by following Magus, how he thought he was basically a nut... then he went on to say how if the guy showed up and asked for followers Toad *still* wasn't sure whether he'd say yes or no.

• 1 month later...

A bit of necromancy, but, comic book characters that demonstrate high level mega-attributes.

Some are easy: any brick covers Mega Str at the 4-5 dot level. Superman and the clones all have Mega Per at high levels. Reed and Doom are easily Mega Int 5, or even higher.

But how about Mega Wits? Mega Manipulation? Mega Appearance? Mega Charisma?

Mega-Appearance?

Pretty near all female super heroes. Every team has at least one. Wonder Woman etc.

Mega-Charisma?

Many "leader" types have it. Magneto and Superman most specifically, but I'd say Gambit and Captain America do as well.

Mega-Manipulation?

Mephisto (sp), & Loki obviously have lots. Thantos. Doctor Doom as well but not as much.

Usually you see the really evil types with this. Look for a leader or big villain who has the habit of backstabbing his followers. Now ask yourself, if the current group of followers know what happened to the last group, why are they still making deals with this guy?

Mega-Wits?

Many, many super types have it. Look for any martial arts type who seems to get several attacks where everyone else does not. Wolverine, the Punisher, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Spiderman. Look also for those who seem to think faster than other people, Reed Richards, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Nearly all psychics can have Mega-Manipulation as a way of master their powers without increasing them. I did it with my psychic. After all, it's up to you if you want to roll these points to all Manipulation situations or not.

Caitlin Fairchild from Gen13 is a good example of Mega-Appearance in the pure Aberrant sense. The same with She-Hulk or Power Girl, since their body measures came from their powers.

But a lot of characters have Mega-Appearance in the sense of a special presence, such as any God or Godess (Thor, Wonder Woman, Phoenix), or Dagger from "Cloak and Dagger".

I made my own Wolverine in the Campaign we're playing now with some friends, and was impossible without Mega-Attributes.

Mega-Strenght: He could have one or two dots. Not a great lifter, but he does a lot of damage (has a natural knuckle duster), and he sure can jump off buildings (use the Quantum Leap wisely).

Mega-Dexterity: Sure he has, with the Catfooted enhancement.

Mega-Stamina: Since Regeneration is not a power, a lot of Mega-Stamina is a must.

Mega-Perception: Dot, dot, dot. A lot of dots, and don't forget the Bloodhound.

Mega-Intelligence: He could have it, for Analize Weakness or even Taint resistance (Taint comes and goes in the runt's life).

Mega-Wits: Again a lot. He needs Lying Detector (even if it should be under Mega-Perception), Quickness and maybe some Initiative.

Mega-Appearance, Manipulation and Charisma: Yeah, right...

About the taint in X-Men, sure they have some aberrations, and the rules works really fine. But that doesn't mean they all have aberrations.

See you!

(My first post, please be gentle!) ::happy

Caitlin Fairchild from Gen13 is a good example of Mega-Appearance in the pure Aberrant sense. The same with She-Hulk or Power Girl, since their body measures came from their powers.

You mean the picture from the core rules? That should be the RoBust enhancement! ::laugh

Welcome to the boards Volk! ::welcome

...and no way does wolverine have even a single dot of Mega-Strength...

WELCOME VOLK!!!

...and no way does wolverine have even a single dot of Mega-Strength...
Largely depends on the artist and writer. I'd probably give him one just because he hits so hard even without the claws.

Granted, a strong case can be made for building him with 5 dots in Claws+AP and none in Mega-Strength, but the abby system makes 1 dot in Claws+AP and one more in Mega-Strength more practical for cost and effect.

RE: Mega-Int

I can't see it, but if he really needs Find Weakness he could cross match that with Mega-Wits or Mega-Perception.

RE: Mega-Wits

Another example of someone who just seems "Quick"er than everyone else.

okay. A dot of Mega Strength means you can lift A TON...more with a might roll...While wolverine's adamantium skeleton means his bones wont break and allows him to develop stronger muscles because of it (more psi-loading, and his regeneration means he can work out, and heal the torn muscle tissue immediately) but still...A TON people!!!!

Im sorry but Ol' PAtch just isn't that strong in the comics. Given his short stature and build Id say he can lift as much as an olympian...somewhere around 800, though the Marvel RPG lists his lifing at 400...

All true... but... his punches hit like steel bricks. He may not be able to dead lift a ton but he can hit like he can. And the claws cut through bank vaults. In order to do that you'd need some kind of superstrength just to overcome the friction.

And I don't think we've ever seen him fail to lift something because it's too heavy. So in theory it could be that he really is strong enough to pick up a ton but either doesn't know it or is just hiding it.

On the other hand if I had to convert Captain America I'd use "The Ultimates" version where he probably has one dot in all the Mega, specifically including strength.

RE: Ultimates Captain A

From Wikipedia: Rogers is also a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant. In addition, his strength and recuperative abilities are remarkable (he was shown bench pressing 545 lb in Ultimates 2 #4), although whether they are superhuman is not made clear. ...Despite the Hulk being one of the strongest characters in the Ultimate Universe, Rogers takes on the Hulk in hand-to-hand combat, knocking him down momentarily. Rogers also defeats Henry Pym in melee combat while Pym is in his almost 60-foot tall Giant Man form...

From the way Cap breaks doors and the like, I'm comfortable giving him Mega-Str 1. But Pym isn't all that tough as Giant Man, and mostly he was beaten by Cap making him fall down and then dropping a mass of pipes on him.

The Hulk situation was a bit different, it's unclear whether the Hulk went down because Cap hit him, or because the Hulk knew Cap had "the one thing" that could force him back into Banner and decided to just take it from him. We have seen the regular Hulk (especially the Grey Hulk) fake being knocked out or injuried to put a foe a disadvantage on several occassions. In this case, once again, just as someone lowers their guard and steps up to take advantage of the Hulk being down, he grabs him. On the other hand we have not seen the Ultimates Captain A casually throw cars around, or even pick them up.

Archived