Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - SuperGeek Enterprises: Exploration

BlueNinja

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't know where you're going (ie, never been there and don't have a picture) then the Warp is not going to open exactly where you want it to. How close/far it is depends on the where, and how many successes you rolled over the distance requirement. Sometimes you get lucky, usually you end up off by several (dozen) miles.

Anyway, let me know if Simon is going to wait until Jonathan and Zhenglai arrive at the library, meet them in transit, or skip that completely to go hit the sunny beaches of Iberia.

I more picked it because I think it's a name of Irish descent; it has nothing to do with Michael Donighal, as neither mehim nor Maxwell Mercer (or Dr. Hammersmith, for that matter) would have been born in this timeline. Splitting the timelines screws with genetics from the very instant, in a ripple effect outward from the event, as people would be meeting and copulating at different points in time, changing the childhood lottery.

[edit] note to self, post when you haven't been up for approaching 20 hours [/edit]

I more picked it because I think it's a name of Irish descent; it has nothing to do with Michael Donighal, as neither mehim nor Maxwell Mercer (or Dr. Hammersmith, for that matter) would have been born in this timeline. Splitting the timelines screws with genetics from the very instant, in a ripple effect outward from the event, as people would be meeting and copulating at different points in time, changing the childhood lottery.

[edit] note to self, post when you haven't been up for approaching 20 hours [/edit]

Jealous that you were born in the wrong dimension? :P

But yeah, as long as someone is conceived after the split, there's at least the chance that a different sperm will enter the egg even within hours of the split. Add in environmental changes during pregnancy and they may get a different first name, maybe even last name in some circumstances. By the time a few weeks have passed, you never know what's going to come out.

I really didnt have anything specific I wanted him to do
I do. This is the first timeline which might have medical advances above (or at least different) from our own. So... find a top notch doc who thinks he deserves to be god (already done), then offer to mind link to him and trade shop secrets.

Either we are more advanced than they are, in which case the doc gets to make a name for himself (Paul doesn't care).

AND/OR They know things we don't, in which case things get very interesting. Cure for taint anyone?

Either we are more advanced than they are, in which case the doc gets to make a name for himself (Paul doesn't care).

AND/OR They know things we don't, in which case things get very interesting. Cure for taint anyone?

I'm more waiting to see if the group in France wanted to do anything, or if they want me to hurry up so the group can get back together and pull through the mapping device, or if they're going to stay and hit the beach and make Ash get the mapper. ::tongue

Well Esteban *really* would love to go swimming, maybe become some kind of an organic whale-like submersible and go exploring, but he feels honor bound and on-the-job and Michal isnt really paying him to go sightseeing. Maybe if Theo feels up to it, she and Esteban can have their dinner-date in our timeline's Europe after we get back. In the meantime I think we should finish our objectives.

Also, I guess I should have made my post more proactive...I am still waiting for Archer to reply about speaking French or not so we will know if Mask needs to open another warp or if France is fine...

I'm more waiting to see if the group in France wanted to do anything, or if they want me to hurry up so the group can get back together and pull through the mapping device, or if they're going to stay and hit the beach and make Ash get the mapper. ::tongue
We still have another hour or so before the gate can be opened i think.

anyway, ignoring my momentary faux pas, you guys have a relatively sure idea of the split point, and about 15 minutes before the next gate opening.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to note that the Trans-D IC thread is now the largest of any game thread on the site - possibly the largest, if there aren't larger threads in the hidden e-book forums.

Simon spends little effort in creating a set of top of the line sunglasses and hands then to Theo.

"Theo, maybe these will help."

Simon adjusts his eufiber in a similar fashion to allow for shades of his own.

::blink Are we still at the beach? I thought BN time-jumped forward and we just found out what we wanted to at the library...

Oh and I was gonna have Esteban mention the eufiber trick but Simon just made it obvious. His summoning power sems kind of odd and yet, strangely quite useful!

Since Nevada doesn't work, would Death Valley or the Mojave be in range?
Death Valley is just barely over a hundred miles away from Selma on a straight line. Most of your characters would consider a few places up in the mountains to be fairly deserted - heck, the Sequoias would be good, even though they're bound to be somewhat snow-covered this time of year.
::blink Are we still at the beach? I thought BN time-jumped forward and we just found out what we wanted to at the library...
You are at the library, but I don't object to minor things happening during the period I time-jump over.

((OOC: is the gate still open right now? If it is then consider Zhenglai's words to be implying that they could still make it safely through the next if they were to stay and try to help the people of this world.))

No, the gate isn't open. I'm pretty sure we don't keep the gate open in combo with the mapping device... that maybe just because the mapping device takes some time to use.

BN just for clarification, is the city in Z's vision the Forbidden City in Beijing, China, or is it the Forbidden City as in what they used to call Lhasa, Tibet? Normally I'd just assume it was Beijing, but since Zhenglai was living in Lhasa just before joining SGE I wanted to make sure.

BN just for clarification, is the city in Z's vision the Forbidden City in Beijing, China, or is it the Forbidden City as in what they used to call Lhasa, Tibet? Normally I'd just assume it was Beijing, but since Zhenglai was living in Lhasa just before joining SGE I wanted to make sure.
The one in Beijing. Zhenglai would have at least seen it from a distance, and he might suspect that large cities are going to be prime targets.
Do you mean the Sierra? Or Sequoia national park?
I meant Sequoia National Park. It's in the hundred-mile range. But there are large sections of the Sierra Nevada mountains that are within a hundred-mile radius.

The gate can only stay open for a maximum limit of ten minutes and four seconds. Jonathan (expressed ICly through PM) has said that he would prefer if whoever is operating things in the control room will get in the habit of closing the gate as soon as people/equipment have ceased moving, to somewhat shorten the recharge time below six hours.

And also...If we keep it closed for, say 5 out of the 10 minutes, does that mean an hour later we would have another 5 minutes and change from that hour of recharging? In other words, can we spread those 10 minutes over several trips lasting only, say, 20 seconds each for going back and forth more frequently?

And also...If we keep it closed for, say 5 out of the 10 minutes, does that mean an hour later we would have another 5 minutes and change from that hour of recharging? In other words, can we spread those 10 minutes over several trips lasting only, say, 20 seconds each for going back and forth more frequently?
I think this has come up before.

If we use all 10 minutes, then it's down 6 hours.

If we use 5 mintues, then it's down about 3 hours.

So for 30 seconds, it's down about half an hour.

...or something like that. I would guess there is an overhead "fee" so it might worse.

The real issues are:

1) Do we tell them? I think the answer has to be yes.

2) What do we do with the gate?

a) Send it back ahead of time.

B) Leave it here to observe the fight, duck out at the last minute.

c) Same as "b" but also use it to coordinate the other novas.

I think you mean the Mapper. I highly suggest we dont have it around. We already know the Mechlars are tuned in to Psylon tech and it would be a beacon...

I do suggest we visit the aftermath of the invasion in a few days to do more research on the Mechlars before the next episode...

I think this has come up before.

If we use all 10 minutes, then it's down 6 hours.

If we use 5 mintues, then it's down about 3 hours.

So for 30 seconds, it's down about half an hour.

...or something like that. I would guess there is an overhead "fee" so it might worse.

There is an "overhead" as you say. Keeping the gate for the full duration means a recharge time of six hours. Keeping it open for only 5 minutes (half time) means recharge time of a little over four hours. The shortest window the gate is designed for is ten seconds - which then requires a recharge time of about two and a half hours.
Ah HECK!!!! We need to find out when novas started showing up!
Bahamut is right; the first publically acknowledged novas appeared in 1999, though they're called Empowered, and the M-R node has a different name that means something in Swedish. So they've had novas only slightly less than your world. Nobody looked for more similarities beyond that.

"...on the other hand, we should have at least one of our warriors with the Star-Map. Eli is a good choice, if we can pull him away from his circuit boards..."
Eli didn't come, I think.

Our current Membership is: Johnathan (leader); Paul; Brandt; Ash; Theo; Esteban; The Mask; Zhenglai.

Eli didn't come, I think.

Our current Membership is: Johnathan (leader); Paul; Brandt; Ash; Theo; Esteban; The Mask; Zhenglai.

Yeah, I know that, but to Esteban, Eli is just a short jaunt through the portal away. It was my attempt at meta-humor by poking at Phoenix that he should come and play with us again...!

::tongue

What the PCs were doing that Zhenglai missed: Presumably this society has at least *some* loser heroes. People who got powers, and not only don't make it into the big time, but don't deserve to. Paul was hinting that we're a group of no-name's who just lucked out in this instance. I.e. looking into us gets a close look at Matter-Eater-Lad and his origin... which is totally irrelevant in our current situation.

Sometimes a little honesty is the best policy. Zhengali would have seen that some of them still werent buying it. Esteban stepped in to say "look. we dont have time to go into details, but we at least know a little of what were talking about...here is a few more pertinent tidbits to help get your asses in gear..."

paraphrased of course... ::tongue

Archived