Aberrant: War Journal - War Journal Expansion Teams

Heritage

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As it stands right now (based on memory, without having my notes in front of me), the alternate earths discovered so far are as follows, in no particulat order:

1. A world where novas and inspired never occured and nova powers don't work. Very polluted and overpopulated, lots of technology but not nova level (basically our world in 2056)

2. A dry desert planet where powers seem to work okay, but there is no discovered life.

3. A world full of ruins and overgrowth where it appears some sort of 'Aberrant War' happened a long time ago, with no 'intelligent' life surviving, but nature thrown into overdrive due to taint. Powers work better than normal.

4. A world where the portal collapses as soon as it's opened, apparently blocked by some mysterious force on the other side ::unsure

5. A world where Project Utopia has drastically improved the quality of life at the cost of personal freedom. Humanity lives in mile-high 'super-cities' surrounded by fully-restored landscapes of forest and mammoth communial farms.

6. A world where some sort of 'ice age' has took place fifty years ago, leaving the Earth in near-perpetual twilight. Small but thriving communities dot the US landscape west of the Rockies built around geo-thermal heat production, united in a loose confederation known as the 'Western Collective'. But dangerous entities known as 'thermovores' make life dangerous for survivors. Powers work okay, but there are no known records of eruptions.

In case you didnt see when I changed my post...how is adaptability going to work in "the lands of no/low Quantum"? Or are we allowed to know?

Not sure yet, but I would probably let you know ::wink

Looks cool, but why only six?

The way I understand Crosstime Travel - after a PM'ed explanation from Bahamut ::thumbsup - there is an infinite number of worlds. Of course, detailing hundreds of game worlds would probably drive you nuts, but there are always small sacrifices like that... ::wink

There could be a slightly more detailed classification system where these six - well, 7, technically - worlds are the main categories and all the other discovered ones are derivatives of them. When discussing time travel of various sorts I find metaphors to be infinitely useful, so: If Time (note the capital T) is a tree, it's so far got seven main branches, but there can still be a huge number of smaller branches, twigs and leaves that are different from the others on its branch.

Or is the idea to explore only those worlds that differ from ours because of one or a few specific events? The basic idea with alternate realities and histories is how everything that happens changes the world, right? Of course, it doesn't matter much to the world if I get a cup of coffee before or after finishing this post, but other seemingly small choices can have an impact. To me, a key idea in a game like this would be to identify the important branching points and base the search around them.

The way I see it there could be two reasons for why only 6 worlds have been discovered - apart from the workload. Either they are the most 'real' of all the worlds out there and stand out among the other timelines, or they are the most interesting ones based on what they're looking for.

What are they looking for, exactly? Is it just scientific curiosity or is there a specific goal?

That's an interesting question there. I think I may be able to provide an explanation as to the limits of theoretical alternate realities. I appologize in advance for the realitive crudity of the explanation. Consider the idea that in theory every interaction produces two realities, one where the interaction goes one way, another where it goes the other way. Now, if each of these realities is stable and sufficent unto itself, then there are indeed an infinite amount of alternate earths out there. However, it may be that most of the alternate realities aren't really stable, and tend to curve back into and rejoin the closest stable reality or disspate soon after they are formed. The process is, of course, somewhat more complex, but that's the basic idea. Now, this still leaves us with a theoretically unlimited number of possible stable alternate realities, however it does limit the number of potential stable alternate realities in which the earth actually exists. Consider then that the parameters the Green scientists are looking for are even more specific, requiring that those alternate earths be inhabitable by humans, meaning a fairly specific set of conditions. It seems likely then that finding stable alternate realities with those parameters would be very difficult and time-consuming, as even locating another stable alternate reality must be pretty tricky in and of itself.

In case you're wondering, this explanation comes from my own particular and peculiar understanding of time and reality, and not from anything I can really reference, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt. ::bigsmile ::tongue

Or it could be that it takes a lot of time/energy to revv up the machine. Or the machine just finished production recently. Or they are wanting to explore a world so much to see whats up with it before going on.

Yea, technically you could go to a world where you had coffee instead of tea this morning...but why would you?

I would say the reason there are only 7 worlds (net) right now is just access. It takes time and energy to actually open the portal (and in one case not open it) and they want to get a good feel for the place before they go on. Its also a new tech. The X-force (hehe) will find more, im sure of it.

The 'infinite worlds' theory is just that - a theory, & the ultimate expression of one at that. There's no reason why there has to be a 'new dimension' for each & every possible decision taken, in fact, IIRC the crosstime travel power actually discusses some of the other options: e.g. that 'branch points' are only created by powerful Quantum events.

In the end it's the ST's choice as to how many, & what, other 'worlds' exist out there: the 'science' is all pseudo-science fiction anyway.

As for the infinite worlds theory, that's actually pretty easy to argue out of existence by some simple philisophical word-play:

If there are in infinite number of worlds, then there is a world out there where both my every wish comes true, & which can detect my wishes across the gulf of the multi-dimensional universe. I'm wishing really hard for a ham sandwich to appear on my desk. It hasn't happened. Therefore that one dimension has been proved to not exist. If one theoretically possible dimension doesn't exist, then the possibilities can't be infinite.

So - we know that there are limits on the number of theoretically possible dimensions out there: it's just up to the ST to determine what those limits are.

Oh, BTW, please no-one start saying stuff about 'other universes' - the word 'universe' means 'everything in existence'. Even if there were other dimensions around al-la Sliders, they'd still be part of the 'universe'. Just a pet peeve of mine when it comes to sci-fi-speak. ::rolleyes

The 'infinite worlds' theory is just that - a theory, & the ultimate expression of one at that. There's no reason why there has to be a 'new dimension' for each & every possible decision taken, in fact, IIRC the crosstime travel power actually discusses some of the other options: e.g. that 'branch points' are only created by powerful Quantum events.

And that's an important point to clarify. What does it take to make a separate timeline? How small or great events are needed, and is this project focusing on a particular group/type of event?

If there are in infinite number of worlds, then there is a world out there where both my every wish comes true, & which can detect my wishes across the gulf of the multi-dimensional universe. I'm wishing really hard for a ham sandwich to appear on my desk. It hasn't happened. Therefore that one dimension has been proved to not exist. If one theoretically possible dimension doesn't exist, then the possibilities can't be infinite.

No. It just proves that this particular version of you is shit out of luck and ended up in the wrong trouser leg of time. Again. Another version could right now be happily munching away, and you'd never know. ::wink

RE: Only 6

Aside from lending sanity to the ST (a good thing in itself), we might be looking at something like the Knight's move effect (from Chess). Yes, there are lots of squares next to the Knight, but it can't get to there from here just because of how it works.

The power takes a certain amount of juice to fire up, so you have to move a certain distance. Perhaps gates to "closer" realities tend to slide back to our own and then you end up with standard "Warp"s instead. This implies that the six worlds you can reach from Earth #2 might not be the same six worlds you can reach from Earth (a hex grid would be simplest, 2 go to similar worlds, 1 goes back, 3 go somewhere else... or 5 of the 6 world's might be different (hex grid but the jumps are longer).

On a slightly different subject, I suggest that if six (per world) is all the Q-power allows, then you should drop the level of the power to 3 (leaving the Q min at 6 still keeps it pretty exclusive). That way a (mere) Q6 nova could get this power AND get the extra that lets him make gates. Otherwise you need to involve a Q7 or Q8 nova and that has two sets of implications I don't like.

Implication #1: There is a Q7/8 nova around working for us. Implication #2: We can duplicate Q7/8 powers with tech.

...some of the other options: e.g. that 'branch points' are only created by powerful Quantum events.
Now this I like.
Therefore that one dimension has been proved to not exist.
True.
If one theoretically possible dimension doesn't exist, then the possibilities can't be infinite.
False. The set of numbers {1,2,3...} is infinite (i.e. endless). But "infinite" doesn't mean "every possibility".

If the sandwich genii would exist on world 2.2, then you will never see it in our "infinite" set.

Looking at our number for a moment (i.e. #1 or Earth #1) there are lots, and LOTS, of "close" numbers that don't exist in the set (i.e. 1.00001, 1.00002, etc).

False. The set of numbers {1,2,3...} is infinite (i.e. endless). But "infinite" doesn't mean "every possibility".

Not in maths, no, but it does in the 'infinite worlds' theory (as commonly spouted in sci-fi) though - 'every possibility' is the entire point of the argument.

In any case, I'm sure you can all see the basic point, without the need to get into any long-winded debates on the subject: allow the ST to make up his own mind on how many worlds there are out there doesn't require a 'fudge' of the 'science' - it's as logical (& much more sensible) than any other theory which we could spout.

I also question whether we, the players, or even the characters involved, would need to know the ins & outs of the underlying pseudo-physics: after all, characters who were experts on those sorts of aspects of the projects aren't gonna' be the ones risking their necks on other cross-time worlds, now, are they? They'd all be locked in a nice, comfortable, lab working on the theory et al. As I understand it, the PCs are gonna' be the 'expendables' who get to risk there asses 'where no (sane) man has gone before'.

Hey - can I play a giant-worm riding desert nomad from the desert world? ::tongue ::biggrin He's cool - he can kill with a word. ::lookaround No... Don't say it! ::nervous

In any case, I'm sure you can all see the basic point, without the need to get into any long-winded debates on the subject: allow the ST to make up his own mind on how many worlds there are out there doesn't require a 'fudge' of the 'science' - it's as logical (& much more sensible) than any other theory which we could spout.

ST's call, as always. Obviously. But my original question was just that, a question. Is there an in-game reason, and if-so, what is it?

It also matters since I'm planning to steal your idea and have a background from an alternate reality. I just didn't originally picture one of the ones listed, and wonder if there are other possibilities. That of course assumes that Heritage will allow it at all, which I understand he hasn't decided yet. ::halo

I also question whether we, the players, or even the characters involved, would need to know the ins & outs of the underlying pseudo-physics: after all, characters who were experts on those sorts of aspects of the projects aren't gonna' be the ones risking their necks on other cross-time worlds, now, are they? They'd all be locked in a nice, comfortable, lab working on the theory et al. As I understand it, the PCs are gonna' be the 'expendables' who get to risk there asses 'where no (sane) man has gone before'.

I think the grunts are the saner ones in this equation. Too much theorizing on the dynamics of time travel and alternate realities will riddle anyone's brain... ::wacko And I agree, I don't think playing a crosstime scientist is much fun, but the agents should have at least a basic understanding of what they're doing. No fun in playing a grunt if you can't at least pretend you know better than the pencil-pushers what's really going on, and it would be nice - and cool for the story - to know what one really shouldn't do when exploring other realities. 'Don't let yourself see you', that kind of thing.

Hey - can I play a giant-worm riding desert nomad from the desert world? ::tongue  ::biggrin He's cool - he can kill with a word. ::lookaround No... Don't say it! ::nervous
Reminds me of a girl I dated once.........

That kind of information is on a nice-to-know-basis, Dragon. And that was not nice to know!!! ::blink ::crazy

Hey - can I play a giant-worm riding desert nomad from the desert world? He's cool - he can kill with a word.  No... Don't say it! 

Its funny how the books didn't have those sound guns/weirding modules. Religious Fanaticism was the Fremen's tool as well as good tactics and leadership. David Lynch's adaptation was cool though I thought.

Muad D'ib!

Yeah, true - the books are better (always the case, right?) - as is, IMHO, the more modern mini-series. But the whole 'his name can shatter stone' bit was such a classic role-players' joke for so many years it can't be allowed to die... ::tongue

Muad D'ib!

Quiet, dude - shouting stuff like that is what killed your hard-drive in the first place... It's the weirding way... ::wacko

There are a number of reasons I 'fixed' the number at six, but in theory they could just keep on opening up portals willy-nilly; keeping me sane was a big part of it, of course, but there are story reasons as well. One of the big problems with the device is it generates a massive Q-spike when a world is first discovered and 'penetrated' (one of the reasons it's deep underground), but a much smaller one on subsequent openings.

There are other reasons as well - General Chimera has certain criteria for any colony world, and AE6 (aka 'Planet Permafrost' to some wags in the program ::wink) so far fits them most closely, and seeing as it was the one most recently discovered, she's put a temporary hold on new portals. Basically they are:

1. That the enviroment is habitable.

2. That quantum powers work more or less normally.

3. That there is a human population, but a relatively small one.

4. That said population is in some way 'challenged', and might then more readily accept help from 'mysterious strangers'.

These points are somewhat controversial - Chimera basically want to join an exisiting human polulation and aid them, while others in the program want to start from scratch, and others see 'aid' as a synonym for 'dominate' ::sly

Okay, I just approved a concept in the chats from Asbjorn as a sort of refugee from the Utopian world, so I guess I am allowing 'non-coreworld' characters ::rolleyes Some of the other worlds as listed might not work so well, unless you played a culture-shocked baseline 'frosty' or 'dullard' ('Our' world is jokingly refered to as 'Dullsville') But if you have an interesting bizarro pitch from one of the other worlds, I'd be willing to hear it.

Yeah, true - the books are better (always the case, right?) - as is, IMHO, the more modern mini-series. But the whole 'his name can shatter stone' bit was such a classic role-players' joke for so many years it can't be allowed to die...

Haven't seen Children of Dune yet though I want to. I'm hoping its better than Dune (the Sci-Fi channel adaptation, children of dune being the sequel). William Hurt killed Leto (really, who'd follow some depressed Duke desperately in need of prozac?) and the Fremen were just so less cool than they should've been. In my opinion at least...

A mix of Lynch and Sci-Fi would be great...

Quiet, dude - shouting stuff like that is what killed your hard-drive in the first place... It's the weirding way...

Not funny, I'm still waiting for my comp! ::sneaky2

Muad D'ib, muadibmuadibmuadibmuadib...

*fizzle pop*

Here's another question: are you slapping the same restrictions & rules on chargen that you had for War Journal?

Related to the 'other-world's origin' concept - would you allow characters from as yet undiscovered worlds? Seeing as the only other world which could produce a Nova character has already been pinched... ::angry ::tongue ::wink

Here's another question: are you slapping the same restrictions & rules on chargen that you had for War Journal?

I PM'ed Heritage with a concept, where one of the questions was if it was ok to use the Scout starting package from WJ. He OK'ed the whole thing, so I guess it's the same.

Related to the 'other-world's origin' concept - would you allow characters from as yet undiscovered worlds? Seeing as the only other world which could produce a Nova character has already been pinched... ::angry  ::tongue  ::wink

Hey, there's always room for one more, you know. ::wink They could have run into two of us... Or maybe a baseline from one of the non-quantum-worlds who was brought back and erupted the moment he or she set foot in Dullsville?

I thought I'd repost what Heritage posted before on character generation. The skill packages are in addition to your 23.

...I outlawed Level 5 and 6 powers for both PCs and NPCs - I know that doesn't make sense in terms of canon (*sneeze-Divis Mal-sneeze*), but here's what it comes down to. Are their novas with level 5 and 6 powers? Yes. Will you ever meet them? No.

The starting packages are what you come out with after going through basic training - all listed stats are free.

War Journal PC Creation Guidelines

I hope this doesn't seem too anal or fascistic, but there are going to be some house rules in my upcoming Aberrant campaign. I'm trying to create a somewhat grittier, more realistic feel; I know, it's superheroes and all, but it's also going to be a war campaign, and for a war to exciting and scary, the threat of real harm must exist. Other than item A, none of these is carved in stone, or at least nothing harder than pumice. So bearing this in mind, here are the basic guidelines:

A. Allegiance - All characters will be members of the Green Machine, the military arm

of the Green Movement, so they'll have one of the three branches or sub-divisions as

their Allegiance; however, if players want their characters to be double agents, a

separate secret Allegiance can be purchased as a Background. Talk to me, and we'll

see about getting you dots in Backing, Cipher and/or Identity.

B. Points - 30 Nova points for novas, 30 bonus points for baselines

C. Merits and Flaws - Unlimited Merits, up to 10 points of Flaws.

D. Restricted powers - All 5 and 6 powers from the Player's Guide - they're just way too scary. And yes, that does include NPCs.

E. Starting power caps -

1. Quantum not to exceed five dots.

2. No mega-atts to start higher than three dots.

3. No more than 4 enhancements per mega-att - this includes the freebie.

4. No powers to start higher than 3 levels

5. No limits on how many powers or mega-atts you start with.

6. No limitations on regular attributes or abilities - go nuts.

(Note: these caps are only on starting powers - characters can exceed all of these

limits with experience points.)

F. Extras and Mastery - Extras are fine from the get-go, Mastery can be bought with

experience once you reach Quantum 6+.

G. Strengths and Weaknesses - These should be fine, but we'll talk about 'em as we do

character creation.

So, end of manifesto. Believe me, after character creation, I'm a complete pussycat  ::biggrin  If anyone has any questions or bribes, please PM or email me at alfero@hotmail.com.

Regular Army Starting Package

No physical Attribute lower than 2

Free skills:

Brawl-2

Athletics-2

Firearms-3

Melee-2

Stealth-2

Awareness-2

Navigation-2

Medicine-1

Survival-2

Scout Starting Package

No physical Attribute lower than 2

Free skills:

Athletics-3

Firearms-2 (pistol)

Legerdemain-2

Martial Arts-3

Stealth-3

Awareness-2

Navigation-3

Medicine-2

Intrusion-2

Survival-3

Disguise-2

As far as Cobras go, they get the same as RA, plus Heavy Weapons-3 (Bulldog). Cobras also must have Mega-Strength 1 and Mega-Stamina 1, if only to survive their training.

...So here's how Backgrounds work - you can buy dots in anything but Rank. That has to be earned. If you're all starting out as veterans, you all start with:

Rank 3 (basically the same as Backing)

Requisition 2

Command-3

Tactics-2

...A note on Resources. The Greens basically live 'off-the-grid' - they have their own economy based on crude punchcards that represent monthly wages, with bonus cards given out for exemplary service. If you have dots in Resources, this is money on the 'outside', and you better have dots in Cipher, Cyberkinesis or strong underworld connections if you want to access it safely without The Man tracking you down!...

Right now im at a standstill...I asked H's opinion on this, but he never got back to me... ::sneaky2

I now submit this to you guys...what do you think I should play in this game. I have 2 choises at this point

1. Damien. This game will allow me to expand his personality thorugh a few avenues, this setting will also allow him the chanse to work on some of his own personal goals. I origonally wanted to use him for this. He also is an excellent combatant, is nearly immune to disease and posion, can survive in any envirnoment and is a bad-a$$...uhh...i mean...yea... He also has an ally that I would like to bring in that is going to help...even him out (to say the least).

2. Nick (Aka, Daredevil). He is a very...non-nova nova. Only actual power is intuition, no taint, low Mega-atts. Think Lara Croft mixxed with Batman and you got him. Now much in the way of history right now, but he is extremely skilled.

Opinions?

Nope. His only nova power is a dot of intuition. The rest is in a couple of m-atts (a few atts at 1 dot) and the rest is all in skills and attributes. Like I said...a Lara Croft/Batman-ish type guy. He knows a little of everything (his dice pool should never dip below 8 normal dice as I have him now. Physical rolls will normally be about 9 or 10 ddice not counting M-dice).

Sounds like he knows a lot about everything. ::biggrin

Either character could work. What really concerns me is getting a good spread of abilities across the PCs. In a fringworld/stargate type environment ANYTHING might happen, and it doesn't sound like backup will be easily available.

So if Heritage decides to let me in the game, I'd be glad to structure my character's abilities and powers to fill in any weak spots the party might have. So I'm open to suggestions. You've already said you need a warper. Got a psychic yet? I was thinking of doing the Warp/ESP/Telepathy thing, so if that'd be a help, lemme know and I'll start on a write-up. ::bigsmile

Heck...a warper is wonderful...a telepath is wonderful...both is mucho wonderfulos...uhhh...yea. Anyway...

As far as I know this is what we have

Bahamut - Damien, pessemestic brick or Daredevil, Jack of all Trades (Undecided)

Alex Green - (?), Stealthy Healer

Nullifier - (?), Warping Telepath (Undecided)

Other people have expressed interest, but not posted a general on character, so its up to you. Everyone knows we need both if at all possible.

Alex Green - (?), Stealthy Healer

I should probably expand that a bit. Mostly he has a "Life Manipulator" flavor to his powers. Healing, Animal Mastery, Weather Control, that sort of thing.

From the description he would be useful as an "explorer" and/or "support" type in a group of novas.

--edit--

BTW, does anyone remember if "Dorm" was a required background for Scouts? Or maybe a freebie?

Archived