Ow...

Archer21

Hey all. Just wanted to give you a little update. As some of you might already know, I ride a motorcycle as my main means of transportation. Yesterday, I was in an accident when another car came from the right lane to make a left turn, directly in front of me. I tried to stop, but there just wasn't enough time or room.

My motorcycle slid out from under me and slammed into the car, I fell away from the bike and hit the asphalt.

I have a very nasty friction burn(read: roadrash) on my left palm, a lesser but still painful scrape on my lower right back, and my hip has swelled up like a balloon. The hip is probably the worst part, it hurts terribly when I try to walk, and it'll probably take a few days till I can walk normally. Getting in and out of a chair is no fun either.

All that said, I consider myself very lucky. My helmet and leather jacket really protected me well, and if I'd been smart enough to wear gloves, my hand would've probably been fine. No real way to avoid the hip damage though.

The downside is, my bike is apparently totaled. I will be busy trying to contact the other drivers insurance, and possibly an attorney, to make sure my hospital bills and motorcycle are paid for.

Okay, that's about it, just wanted to let you folks know.

-Stephen

'Ow', indeed! Drivers turning in front of motorcycles and pedal bikes they don't see are bad news. My oldest brother used to be a bike messenger (as was I, back in the day ::crazy ::devil), and he had a driver do that to him; he flipped over the hood and cracked the back of his skull on the asphalt. The idiot was not wearing a helmet (he always does now) and suffered some nerve damage - for several years, he lost his sense of smell (and therefore, much of his sense of taste, as well), but he finally regained it. He was damn lucky he got off so easy from head trauma.

Anywho, glad you were wearing a helmet and that you're more-or-less okay. Sorry about the bike, though - that's gotta suck. So, you thinking about getting some gloves....?

Get well soon ::thumbsup .

I've never been much of a fan of motorbikes ever since I was a kid & my older step-sister was blown under a lorry when on the back of a motorbike. Both her legs were shattered, & she took years to learn how to walk again. Thing with bikes is, even if you are sensible, you're just way too vulnerable to other road users being stupid, or just plain bad luck, for my tastes.

Yeah - forget the gloves, buy a car dude. ::sly

• 4 weeks later...

A little better everday bud, thanks for asking. It's a slow healing process(no Mega-Sta here, I'm afraid ::wink ), but I am getting better.

Still have to be careful with how I bend, but it's not horrible agony anymore. My hand is damn near all fixed, which I'm really happy about.

Now, as I promised, here are the pics:

http://eononline.net/images/wreckbike1.jpg

http://eononline.net/images/wreckbike2.jpg

http://eononline.net/images/wreckbike3.jpg

I didn't want to just post them, they'd eat up too much bandwidth in the thread. Just click the links.

Archived