Aberrant: Cognizant Chimera - CC: Game Mechanics

Alex Green

Am I the only one who thinks that is an exceptionally weak attack?

Um..... no. That's it's *minimum* effect, and that's it Maxxed for Area.

Saying that, I think Prof may run it unsoaked, but even still, it's a guarenteed "that car there? Toast."

I would recommend against Area, 'cause that'll take out the building too..... ::wink

Go for MIRV.

Can you tell I had this conversation with Prof at all? (hint: MI troops minus *all* weaponry......) ::devil

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walk in, see the hostages get killed, kill the bad guys, walk out...

Even if they have no gunpowder I'm sure they have knives for those dramatic, "knife at hostages throat" scene.

Actually I think if Lance convinces the cop to take him there the whole thing will be a cinch.

"Come out with your hands up!"

done...

Erm, you mean, you will make us naked?  ::biggrin  clothes are inorganic, do they?

No, I wouldn't make us naked. I have attune, so my clothes wouldn't be affected. ::devilangel

And it is too a weak attack. My book isn't handy but it I don't think it has a range. Most stuff has at least some kind of soak.

Let's put it this way, suite attacks are already weak q-bolts.

A normal suite attack does [2Q]+2L lethal.

This one does [Q+L], and has no range and no affect on living creatures.

Worse, ANYTHING I could conceivabilty affect with this technique's attack I could also use a different technique (in the same power no less) and make the object turn into Sand, or yet another tech to put a big hole through.

The mechanics of the power are written so that it really should be AGG (which since it doesn't affect living creatures wouldn't be bad).

{Q=Quantum, L=Level of power}

I have the book here (just got home).

Destruction has a range of (Q+L)x 10m.

And it's not like it punches a hole through an object; it causes it to "disintegrate". Granted, it might as well ignore soak at that point, but Objects don't have *anywhere* near as high a soak as a Nova.

Saying that, it does say that "Objects may soak". Saying that, a "Compact Car" only has 2 points of Armour.

One application of Destruction (at only 1 dot in the power) to the car will render it Smashed "Significant damage".

I get that you feel it's weak compared to, say, Elemental Anima's Lethal Blast, which (for the same cost, at the same Quantum) will be doing [10] + 2L, as opposed to [6]L.

But I would counter that Molecular Mastery isn't a "combat suite".

Arguably, they're all just Game Mechanics, so should balance, but I guess that's the ST's call. Me, I'm not pushed either way. I consider Molecular Mastery to be an exceedingly powerful suite, so I don't have an issue with Destruction being lower in power than Lethal Blast. On balance, viewing the suites (as a whole) rather than as individual powers, I think it works out well.

Aside from all that, there's nothing wrong with taking a dot in Q-bolt: Molecular Destruction 'only affects objects' to represent your charactor's greater focus on the molecular rending of objects.

Aside from all that, there's nothing wrong with taking a dot in Q-bolt: Molecular Destruction 'only affects objects' to represent your charactor's greater focus on the molecular rending of objects.

good point...I guess the same could apply to matter creation (weapons such as lasers created inflict a maximum quantum bolt damage instead of MC + Quantum) If the players pays for quantum bolt of course...

Destruction has a range of (Q+L)x 10m.
Good.
I get that you feel it's weak compared to, say, Elemental Anima's Lethal Blast, which (for the same cost, at the same Quantum) will be doing [10] + 2L, as opposed to [6]L.
Weak AND RESTRICTED. The restriction alone means you can't use it to hurt anyone. Letting things soak means you can't use it usefully for non-trival things.
And it's not like it punches a hole through an object; it causes it to "disintegrate". Granted, it might as well ignore soak at that point, but Objects don't have *anywhere* near as high a soak as a Nova.

Saying that, it does say that "Objects may soak". Saying that, a "Compact Car" only has 2 points of Armour.

Exactly, it is written (and has the damage level of) "Disintegration", but then objects can soak. The picture shows someone flying up to a giant robot and then zapping it. In reality that robot would soak the entire zap, and that nova would probably be better off just kicking the robot. I don't see what the use of this technique is.

If the power is supposed to let you zap objects, then do the normal suite amount of damage but let them soak it.

If the power is supposed to let you disintegrate objects, then don't let them soak.

And might I add this is one of the powers that gives me the opinion of.. What happened to White Wolf's quality standards? Most of thier things are easy to read and this power reads like an technical manual for the newest electronic gadget that nearly no one has. But I'll use it none the less... Was there a question worked in there somewhere?

I was wondering what other people thought of that technique, and of my opinion that it should be unsoakable.

Whoops posted to early...

I think the power needs a tweek, not massivly maybe just make the target soak rolled (contested), and not allow vehicle soak adds since you are striking at the armour not what's behind it.

There's a couple of important things to remember when dealing with the Destruction Technique of the Molecular Manipulation power:

First, objects don't automatically get their normal soak - it says that they can soak, but that the ST determines how much they soak based on the materials they're made from & how well they're constructed. It wouldn't be unreasonable for a ST who liked the whole 'disinitigration' angle to rule that normal things get no soak at all, & only Quantum-charged things (& similar stuff) get a soak against this power.

Secondly, even if objects did get their full normal soak, have a quick look at the Material Strengths chart on p.257. The absolute minimum damage which the Technique can do is six levels - that damages anything except the very toughest of materials. Checking the Vehicle Chart on p.278 we see that those six levels damage anything but military grade vehicles.

Perspective of what 'good' damage & soak is can get lost pretty quickly in a game like Aberrant. To average 6 levels of damage you'd need a normal damage dice pool of 15 dice - that's more than any weapon less damaging than military heavy weapons. The thing about Destruction is that it only effects unliving objects - & they're never Nova-level tough in the first place.

Destruction also affects an object as a whole - rather than the 'blast' that goes with a Quantum Bolt or similar effect. Q-Bolt a heavy wooden door & you'll blast a hole in it, maybe even shatter it. Hit it with Destruction & the most you're left with is fine dust.

Only targeting unliving objects is also a big plus in many situations where you don't actually want to brutalise your opponents. Q-Bolt a guy in armour & chances are he's a gonner. Use Destruction on his armour, & he's just a guy who's more inclined to surrender.

The picture shows someone flying up to a giant robot and then zapping it. In reality that robot would soak the entire zap, and that nova would probably be better off just kicking the robot.

Since, at best, the robot is likely to be made out of 'hard metal' then there's no reason to believe it has a huge soak to begin with. Of course, we also don't know that the guy in the picture is using Destruction - he could just as easily be using Molecular Alteration to turn the thing into water, or Shape Alteration to make a hole in it. If Destruction is a 'weak' Technique (which I don't think it is), then the suite more than makes up for it in the other Techniques (Shape Alteration is automatically permanent, unless reversed, for crying out loud; Molecular Alteration - like Destruction - has no mass limits, but targets 'objects' instead - try using it on someone's skyscraper or something ::blink ).

And might I add this is one of the powers that gives me the opinion of.. What happened to White Wolf's quality standards? Most of thier things are easy to read and this power reads like an technical manual for the newest electronic gadget that nearly no one has.

I tend to think that it's actually quite well written (once you have the APG errata, naturally ::rolleyes ) - it's just a case of following what the wording actually says, & not what it seems to imply. Then again, I may have developed a geek-esque 'sixth sense' for RPG rules over the years... ::wacko

Funnily enough, ProfPotts... I sat and was reading it a few minutes ago.. And it made more sense then it had previously ::smile . But still the game as a whole needed some better wording and more care given to it. White Wolf's standards weren't well represented in this book the size of the errata in the APG is good representation of that. That's one of the few reasons I'm looking forward to seeing the next revision of Aberrant (even if it's D20) to see how the product maybe should have been (They wouldn't just toss stuff together lazily twice for the same game would they?)

Since, at best, the robot is likely to be made out of 'hard metal' then there's no reason to believe it has a huge soak to begin with. Of course, we also don't know that the guy in the picture is using Destruction - he could just as easily be using Molecular Alteration to turn the thing into water, or Shape Alteration to make a hole in it. If Destruction is a 'weak' Technique (which I don't think it is), then the suite more than makes up for it in the other Techniques (Shape Alteration is automatically permanent, unless reversed, for crying out loud; Molecular Alteration - like Destruction - has no mass limits, but targets 'objects' instead - try using it on someone's skyscraper or something ::blink ).

Secondly, even if objects did get their full normal soak, have a quick look at the Material Strengths chart on p.257. The absolute minimum damage which the Technique can do is six levels - that damages anything except the very toughest of materials. Checking the Vehicle Chart on p.278 we see that those six levels damage anything but military grade vehicles.

This is my point exactly. When dealing damage the "Disintegration like technique" comes out second best to two techniques in its own suite. That guy could damage the robot a small amount, or he could turn it to glass, or he could alter its shape so it had a hole in its engine block.

Let's use as an example the 2nd hand truck we are in right now. 3 soak. 8 health levels. Matt's Destruction does 3 levels of damage & barely slows it down. It takes a total of 3 zaps to junk it.

{Mind you, I'm not whining for Matt. With one succ on Electricity Control he can shut the whole thing down, or just junk it with his Electricity Blast. Even with the Proff's (correct) rules below, that is still what he would do. We are talking about this technique, not about Matt.}

Perspective of what 'good' damage & soak is can get lost pretty quickly in a game like Aberrant. To average 6 levels of damage you'd need a normal damage dice pool of 15 dice - that's more than any weapon less damaging than military heavy weapons. The thing about Destruction is that it only effects unliving objects - & they're never Nova-level tough in the first place.
We only average 6 levels of damage if there is no soak. With a Strength of 5, and one dot in Molecular control, Matt is (I think) better off kicking the truck from a damage perpective.
There's a couple of important things to remember when dealing with the Destruction Technique of the Molecular Manipulation power:

First, objects don't automatically get their normal soak - it says that they can soak, but that the ST determines how much they soak based on the materials they're made from & how well they're constructed. It wouldn't be unreasonable for a ST who liked the whole 'disinitigration' angle to rule that normal things get no soak at all, & only Quantum-charged things (& similar stuff) get a soak against this power.

Destruction also affects an object as a whole - rather than the 'blast' that goes with a Quantum Bolt or similar effect. Q-Bolt a heavy wooden door & you'll blast a hole in it, maybe even shatter it. Hit it with Destruction & the most you're left with is fine dust.

Point. Actually some really good points. This makes a lot of sense.

If we follow this logic then using Destruction on the truck would probably bypass most of its soak (which is on the outside). The armor on the outside has a soak of 3, but the whole thing is made up of complex moving parts which wouldn't take to being disintegrated too well. Presumably takes the whole 6 levels.

This is my point exactly. When dealing damage the "Disintegration like technique" comes out second best to two techniques in its own suite. That guy could damage the robot a small amount, or he could turn it to glass, or he could alter its shape so it had a hole in its engine block.

Yes & no. I tend to think that the guy in the picture is using the Shape Alteration Technique because it's the only Molecular Manipulation Technique with a range of Touch, & it can effect a smaller section of an object which is larger than the Nova's rolled successes - all of which seems to fit the picture perfectly.

Range is also the big selling point of Destruction - it has the largest range of all the Molecular Manipulation Techniques (double that of Molecular Alteration, & more than triple that of Animation).

You also have to consider the sorts of targets to use that Technique on. If we take a clue from the Adventure! rules on weapons' armour ratings & Structural Levels (p250 to 252) we can see that 6 levels of Destruction damage, even if the weapons get their full soak scores, utterly destroys any & all listed hand-held weapons (the toughest two are the sword & the light machinegun, both of which have an armour of 3 & 3 Structural Levels). Something like a heavy machinegun would take 2 levels (after soak - if full soak is allowed) per 'shot', & the +1 difficulty to be used with each of those shots. 4 uses of Destruction destroys it utterly. Of course, chances are the ST would rule that enough components in the gun are wasted after the first attack to render it useless in any case - but at a very minimum the Technique has quite an impact.

If we look at vehicles (Aberrant p.278 to 279) we see that relatively minor vehicles (using the 'Vehicles as "Extras"' optional rule) get a mere 4 Structural Levels. Even at full soak that means the weakest Molecular Manipulator can utterly disintigrate a compact car, sports car, motorcycle, or small prop plane; whilst a more powerful Nova (with 5 dots in the power) can utterly destroy anything less tough than a military vehicle. That's all with a single shot, & it's utter molecular disintigration, not just blowing the thing into scrap (like your average Quantum Bolt would).

The ability to turn some prat's shiny new sports car into dust at a range of 120 meters sounds like a pretty nice Technique to me ::wink .

Don't forget that Destruction is also a standard Dexterity-based ranged attack - so extra successes on the attack roll add damage dice to the effect. That's on top of the 6 or more levels you get to do automatically.

Let's use as an example the 2nd hand truck we are in right now. 3 soak. 8 health levels. Matt's Destruction does 3 levels of damage & barely slows it down. It takes a total of 3 zaps to junk it.
We only average 6 levels of damage if there is no soak. With a Strength of 5, and one dot in Molecular control, Matt is (I think) better off kicking the truck from a damage perpective.

I don't see it. A kick does Strength +4 (based on the APG errata) dice damage, Destruction does 6 levels. After soak the kick does 6 dice - an average of 2 levels of damage. The Destruction does 3 levels. The kick damages the door panel, Destruction hits the whole truck. The kick has a range of Touch, the Destruction has a maximum range of 120 meters. If the truck is an 'extra' then the Destruction has reduced it to 'Broken Down' - i.e. it can do nothing; all the kick has done is put a dent in the door - I'd find it hard to justify a normal human strength kick destroying a truck, but even if it's allowed on average the truck is only 'Breached' & can drive away.

Looking at the whole thing from a slightly different angle, Disintegration only does Quantum levels of damage, whilst Destruction does Quantum + power rating, but with some limits. Both have the same range, Quantum minimum, QP cost, & dice pool (Dexterity + power rating). However, Destruction is a mere Technique - meant to be slightly less effective than an equivalent level 2 Power, whilst Disintigration is a whole level 3 Power in it's own right. The only real 'issue' is how much soak objects should get - & that's left to a ST call.

I think that Destruction is really a Technique more designed to utterly destroy hand-held objects & things of a similar size than it is to be a tank-buster. It has plenty of non-combat utility potential (more than your general Quantum Bolt-type attacks). If the Molecular Manipulator wants to stop tanks, he's got several other options that are better suited to the task.

Finally, let's not forget that (as mentioned earlier) Destrcution goes very well with the MIRV Extra (if the ST allows maxing for such things) - it uses levels of effect, whilst the other Techniques in the suite use rolled successes.

(On a side note, using the Area Extra with Destruction tends to be up there with the 'top ten bad ideas of all time' - especially in something like a hostage situation. You disintigrate not only the robbers' weapons & equipement, but everyone's clothes, large areas of wall, floor, & ceiling, the bank furnishings, the money... And you'd better pray that none of those hostages has an artifical hip-joint or a pace-maker... ::sly )

Looking at the whole thing from a slightly different angle, Disintegration only does Quantum levels of damage, whilst Destruction does Quantum + power rating, but with some limits.
Disintegration does Q + succ (before we add in accuracy succ). A maxed out Disintegration averages 13.5 succ (assumes M-Dex 5) before accuracy succ.
(On a side note, using the Area Extra with Destruction tends to be up there with the 'top ten bad ideas of all time' - especially in something like a hostage situation. You disintegrate not only the robbers' weapons & equipment, but everyone's clothes, large areas of wall, floor, & ceiling, the bank furnishings, the money... And you'd better pray that none of those hostages has an artificial hip joint or a pacemaker... ::sly )
The money would (I think) be replaced by the government (assuming we can verify that it was destroyed). I don't think pacemakers would go since they would be surrounded by something that was immune to the effect. As for the clothes, Matt has attune. ::devil

Different idea, one of the hostages is being held with a knife to her throat. If I zap the guy holding her, do I nail everything he is holding including his knife and the gun he has in his pocket? Just zapping the knife would be a precision shot.

If I do zap the gun and the knife (and his clothes) would everything take 6 levels of damage or would the 6 be spread out amoung everything? (If we assume that a coin has one life level then a hand full of change would stop the effect..)

If I do zap the gun and the knife (and his clothes) would everything take 6 levels of damage or would the 6 be spread out amoung everything? (If we assume that a coin has one life level then a hand full of change would stop the effect..)

What I would probably do.. is say.. that each item within a certain radius of the effect takes the damage (and if we wanted to get more spiffy.. we could let it have rings and things further out take less damage to none.) But really that could depend on how you wanted to focus your power... (IE it's "special effects") Maybe that's just me though...

Disintegration does Q + succ (before we add in accuracy succ). A maxed out Disintegration averages 13.5 succ (assumes M-Dex 5) before accuracy succ.

Yeah - I'm never too sure on that one. Technically you're correct & the wording of the text would indicate that you rolled Dexterity + power rating twice for a Disintegration attack (once to hit, & then again for damage). The niggling doubt I get with that, though, is that doing it that way isn't how any other power with the Aggravated Extra works. That's okay from a certain point of view (i.e. Disintegration is meant to be the premier Aggravated damage attack out there), but just doesn't seem to fit the rest of the rules from another point of view.

A Quantum Bolt with the Aggravated Extra does [Quantum] levels of damage, & adds attack succeses to that damage (as opposed to the damage dice pool like the usual accuracy bonus), but has a range of only Quantum + power rating x5 meters; unless the character has a Quantum of 5, in which case it's treated just like Disintegration. It seems a bit odd to me that just having more Quantum (which improves the damage of the power in any case) not only doubles the power's range, but increases it's damage by about a third as well (on top of the increase in base damage). The only wording difference between the Aggravated Extra & Disintegration is 'attack successes' as oppossed to 'successes'.

So, like I said, technically you're correct, but I don't think I'd run it that way.

I don't think pacemakers would go since they would be surrounded by something that was immune to the effect.

I'm not sure if that's a good precident to be setting or not. That implies that you also couldn't use the Technique on a gun (or anything) a Nova has in the pocket of his Eufiber jacket, or anything someone concealed in their hand. It also implies that objects behind living things aren't effect by the Area either - so only people's clothes facing the centre of the Area would be hit, & there'd be human-shaped areas of wall & floor that survived uneffected. I guess it comes down to how you picture the power working - does it fill the whole Area with those particular Quantum energies (& therefore effect all eligible targets), or does it radiate out from a centre point.

If it's a normal use of the Technique it hits one 'object'. As MalkBoy suggests, I'd agree that what consitutes a single object is a matter of interpretation. E.g. if you use Destruction on a car is the object effected the door panel the power hits, or the whole car? If you use it on a gun is the object effected just the part hit (like the barrel), or the whole gun? What about the bullets in the gun, & the gunpowder in the bullets? If you were targeting a guy with a knife, a gun, & a set of clothes, then I'd class them each as seperate objects. A good rule of thumb would be how the items in question would be described in terms of soak & Health Levels. You'd never suggest that a guy's full equipment list is lumped together as a single item for purposes of soak & Health Levels, but you might think of the set of clothes he's wearing in that way - even though it's made up of seperate trousers, shirt, jacket, boots & underwear.

If it's a use with the Area Extra it hit's everything in the Area for full damage / effect - you get no choice on that, the Area Extra isn't 'selective' in what it effects or not (hence the problems with the walls, et al, if it's a big Area).

If it's the MIRV Extra, you can hit as many things as you can perceive, & be as selective about those targets as you wish, & only need to roll to hit the hardest to hit target, & all targets take any base levels of effect - only rolled successes (if the power has any) need to be split. In the case of the Destruction Technique if you maxed for MIRV (again, if the ST allows that sort of thing) you could choose to target all the weapons you can see, the robbers clothes, & the restraints holding the hostages, but nothing else - with a single roll to hit you would inflict your base 6 levels to each & all of those things, & only need to divide any extra dice from accuracy as you saw fit.

Slightly off topic - I think that MIRV is one of the best, & often most underated, of the Extras. It's vital for stuff like Telekinesis if you want to do the stuff you see in the comics, & very powerful when combined with things like Immobilize (which has base levels of effect).

RE: Disin

I don't have a problem with Disin being defined differently than Q-Bolt + AGG because one is a level 3 power and the other is a level 2 power with an extra. I.e. with more Quantum comes more power.

Think of Disin as being Q-Bolt with 2 extras; +AGG and +more damage dice.

Any Joe at Q=1 can affort Q-Bolt + AGG, but Disin takes a much higher level of quantum.

---------------------------------------------------------

RE: MIRV as an extra for a level 3 power

If we are going to be talking about MIRV + a level three power, then we need to almost automatically talk about Q6.

Q6 allows people to get a level 3 power with one extra without raising the level (the so called "free" extra). It also would allow someone to get Mastery on that level 3 power.

The question is, does it allow someone to get both? Or in other words, does it make a difference when an extra is gained?

Example:

Joe Nova has Gravity Control.

Then he gets Q6.

He upgrades his Grav power with "Extra Range", so he has GC+ER.

Then he wants to buy Mastery.

Can he do it?

Mastery would raise a level 3 power to a level 4 power. Level 4 powers (with Q6), can't have free extras. I would say the answer is no, he can't upgrade GC until he gets Q7.

However, some people make the argument that GC is already (only) level 3, so it can be increased to level 4 (i.e. he can buy Mastery) without a problem.

Question about Animal/Plant Mastery:

Does it cost qp just to communicate with an animal/plant or just when you're doing something nifty?

The words "free" or "perm" aren't in there anywhere, so it defaults to 2qp.

I would guess 2 as a maintenance power when used normally (2 per scene when not in combat), or 2qp for one of those mass summon things.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

RL kicked me in the butt last month (as if you couldn't all tell) so hopefully we'll get everything moving a bit smoother this upcoming month. Now that I have a functioning car and I healthwise seem to be moving on a scale towards somewhat better (keep catching the flu over and over again.. this time I just caught a cold.. that's an improvement right?), I hope to get the gears moving smoothly.

-- malkboy

::smile

I had a killer monster flu during the holidays as well. I actually spent New Years half dead and it wasn't even due to alcohol, which I didn't have due to the aforementioned killer monster flu. Served me right though since I kept laughing at the panic the media was trying to create over killer death monster flu season.

I still think the epidemic got way more coverage than it deserved though...Hope you've seen the last of it this season. If not, you should've paid for the vaccine, don't you ever watch the news?! ::wink

There will be a slightly longer than two week (IC) downtime here... I know that the group is probably going to disperse into many different directions, so please let me know what you'll be doing during this time. (As well as if you respond to the call by Aeon)

Everyone should be getting a PM today or tomorrow.. If you don't receive one please contact me.

Thanks..

--malkboy

Archived