Aberrant: Quantum Zero - QZ - game mechanics

Asbjørn

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must resist... Must resist..... ::wacko

Argh!!

um.. actualy the word is Boken and comes from the Japanese Bo (as in the staff) and Ken (sword).

Sorry but I do Iai and must always try to resist getting involved in these sort of things. I keep on being considered a drooling idiot though. I'll just go and drool over Kill Bill again.

::devilangel

in Romanji its spelled "Bokken"...or it should be.

Naa... Lodestone's not screwed as long as he's carrying some metal himself. He isn't quite Magneto yet, but he does have the biggest and most lethal AOE attacks amongst all the Nova PCs - from what I've seen so far at least.

Im just 2 seconds away from being magneto...and right now im just trying to get out of the building and away from mr. steal-your-qp. bastard.

you dont wanna know the extent Im willing to go in order to get out of there...can you imagine my maxxing out a magnetic bolt to agg damage like with grimskull on this guy?

Scarey!

For a word on spelling (Boken, Bokun, etc.) read T.E. Lawrence's take on spelling in his book "Seven Pillars of Wisdom". The arab alphabet (same as japanese alphabet for you who cry out "But Bokun is japanese!") is not the same as ours. There is no "right" or "wrong" answer. He purposely spelled names differently in different places in his book, which is a great read by the way.

N.B. T.E. Lawrence = Lawrence of Arabia

Galldarnet!! Im not dead yet! Sheesh! you make it sound like im getting my arse handed to me or sumthin like that.

im just trying to not cause an international incident...I swear I am. I could have easily taken out the entire block...but I didnt. Im a nice guy like that. ::confused

DEAD PERSON:

I'm not dead!

CART MASTER:

What?

CUSTOMER:

Nothing. Here's your ninepence.

DEAD PERSON:

I'm not dead!

CART MASTER:

'Ere. He says he's not dead!

CUSTOMER:

Yes, he is.

DEAD PERSON:

I'm not!

CART MASTER:

He isn't?

CUSTOMER:

Well, he will be soon. He's very ill.

DEAD PERSON:

I'm getting better!

CUSTOMER:

No, you're not. You'll be stone dead in a moment.

CART MASTER:

Oh, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations.

DEAD PERSON:

I don't want to go on the cart!

CUSTOMER:

Oh, don't be such a baby.

CART MASTER:

I can't take him.

DEAD PERSON:

I feel fine!

CUSTOMER:

Well, do us a favour.

CART MASTER:

I can't.

CUSTOMER:

Well, can you hang around a couple of minutes? He won't be long.

CART MASTER:

No, I've got to go to the Robinsons'. They've lost nine today.

CUSTOMER:

Well, when's your next round?

CART MASTER:

Thursday.

DEAD PERSON:

I think I'll go for a walk.

CUSTOMER:

You're not fooling anyone, you know. Look. Isn't there something you can do?

DEAD PERSON: [singing]

I feel happy. I feel happy.

[whop]

CUSTOMER:

Ah, thanks very much.

CART MASTER:

Not at all. See you on Thursday.

Ok so who's coming along to see the Harvesters? Derek did send the message to everyone, hell maybe even to Kane... ::whistlesnonchalantly 

Well, I wasn't real sure if you had Mike's number, or if you thought to let him in on it being the new guy. Was kinda figuring that Terry would grab him from the Amp Room when necessary. Besides, I'm working on my 'business' connections with T2M... ::cool

Well, I wasn't real sure if you had Mike's number, or if you thought to let him in on it being the new guy.

Truth be told, I'm not 100% about who's number I've got, and whose I don't.

I'm pretty sure (unless told otherwise) that I have Nathan's, Glacier's, The Stranger's, Terry's and Will's.

Regarding Mike, I'm not too sure if we've chatted IC or not. I'm pretty sure not (who is Mike, anyway? (Glacier would be the ironic choice....)).

And as for if Kane is included in 'all the guys'.... Well..... Guess we'll all find out soon enough...... ::devil

[Er... exactly how approximate are we talking here? We're in Namibia, he's in North Korea. You'd better be pretty damn exact if it's gonna be worth anything at all... You get the direction 0.01 degrees wrong, and we're gonna miss him by miles.]
What you should do it 'port to somewhere you know that is closer. Like, just for example, what was left of our cabin in South K.

This way you won't be dealing with a port that is both unknown and long distance. Depending on the new site, you might even want to go to the N.K. base that we trashed.

Personaly What i would do is have Ian keep in contact with both the ghost and Alex (if possible) this way he could ghost directional vectors to alex by their comparative possitions. thus one jump to dmz then direct Vinnie in that way.

A series of short jumps is more accurate and assuming that vinnie is rested then he should have more than enough quantum for it.

Ur?

Telepathy lets you pinpoint where people are?????

How?

I could see a case being made for "by reading their surface thoughts", but still you can't know where a person is better than they know themselves.....

The way I see it, and I may be wrong on this, Is that telepathy is a lot like listening to somebody who is talking to you.

If somebody says something and you hear it you get a vague sense of direction and perhaps distance. It won't give you their prescise location unless they know it but it will allow you to pick up on things like any land marks they have seen and thus co-ordinate from their.

But this is the difference between invasive telepathy and passive.

Psychic link only allows communication and thus there would be a lot less likelyhood of being able to pull this off with it.

Just a few thoughts.

That's a point.

If the same person had both Telepath and Teleport, I could see the "location" effect going from one to the other. For that matter, if you can see through their eyes, you could probably 'port to that spot.

But my book isn't in front of me so this is speculation.

The idea is they sense the targets individual mind, and as a result 'know' where they are. It's deffiantely the aspect of Telepathy I hate, the power is extremely vesatile/powerfull even without the built in locator. Being able to find someone, with a general 'that way' would have been fine, but instead you pin-point the exact location and you have a huge range to play around with.

While i can see the frustration involved in it I can also see the rational.

Personaly I would have expected Telepathy to be a level 3 Power or a suite power at least when i first read the book.

Lets look at what the power can do at the momment.

Ready surface thoughts

Search deep memmory

Alter deep memmory

Implant messages in thought stream

locate individual thought streams (brain waves even) over distance.

Alter deep memmory.

For a level 2 power this is hideous.

All of those above could easily be made into powers for a telepathy suite.

While I'm not a particularly rules-bound player, I don't recall reading anywhere in the Telepathy description that it states you can locate them.

Don't get me wrong, it's 100% the Prof's call, and if he wants it that way, that's cool by me.

As for it being overpowered?

Nah....

Take 2 dots in Invulnerability (Mind-Affecting Stuff) and watch the Telepath cry.

Heck, a couple of dots in Mental Shield are well spent. Anyone with 2-3 dots in Mental Shield, and a Willpower of 6+ is fairly well-protected against someone with 'decent' Telepathy stats.

Cheitfan, in my mind telepathy is a suite. Personally I'd treat it the same as Homunculous for determining what a telepath can do, at one dot they can do 'X', at 2 they can do 'Y', etc.

brilyn it states that, they are given a general location, and the more successes the more presicely the can determine the location this would be fine if the range wasn't 20 000km for 5 successes. For a Warper or Teleporter (Mega-Perception bunnies ::tongue ) it's as good as pinpointing, because they don't need to took at a map and guess, they just go there. If they don't find their target, they activate the power again and, being closer, they find them.

As for it being overpowered?

Nah....

Take 2 dots in Invulnerability (Mind-Affecting Stuff) and watch the Telepath cry.

Heck, a couple of dots in Mental Shield are well spent. Anyone with 2-3 dots in Mental Shield, and a Willpower of 6+ is fairly well-protected against someone with 'decent' Telepathy stats.

The trouble with this comes from the fact that many of the targets for telepathy are baseline and thus do not tend to have the high willpower or Psycic (sp?) shield. The ammount and diversity of things that telepathy can do is quite unsettling in a game.

But that said, it's no more abusive than being able to lift and throw skyscrapers, it just takes more imagination to use and of course, in the end unless the ST is being completely off the wall he will have prepared things to allow for telepathy. A great way to get players to believe something is to have them read the thoughts of a minor NPC (or in some cases Major NPCs) who are simply mis-informed. After all, in the mind of a fanatic the world view is totaly different from your own.

... Telepathy can also be used to scan for another person's mind or "mental signature"...
[Aberrant, p.225]

Yep - Telepathy can locate people, but a lot of successes are required to get a lot of location detail. They had to include that aspect of Telepathy or you couldn't get to be Prof' X ::tongue ! Of course, once you've found that mind, you'd be mad not to take a quick look inside to see if they know where they are.

All uses of Telepathy can be resisted via Willpower (see the APG p.64) - so even a baseline can have a 10 dice defence. Since many of the 'abusive' aspects of the power require lots of successes to be useful, this alone is a considerable barrier. Having seen quite a few Nova PCs now I tend to think that baselines actually have, on average, a higher Willpower than Novas (since the number of people who forget to add any dots to Willpower in chargen for Nova characters is frightening ::sly ). Still, it doesn't take many XP to buy a dot or two of Psychic Shield (if you have a good reason), & that quickly blocks nearly all Telepathy attempts.

Also note that if a Telepath is using the power on a mind at a distance then a certain amount of successes from the power's dice pool are used up in covering that distance. In other words - the further away you are from your target mind, the less effective the power is. You can use other aspects of the power at that range, but you don't get another roll to do so - it all depends on the total number of successes you rolled to begin with. If you roll 6 successes against a target who gets no Willpower successes & is in the 20,000 km range, then you get to use a single successes worth of Telepathy on him (you can make him remember that Marmite is his favourite food ::dozingoff ). If you're standing next to the guy, with the same roll, you get to use the whole 6 successes (you can make him remember that memo he got about you being the President's secret right hand man, & that you speak with the authority of that office ::devil ).

Personaly What i would do is have Ian keep in contact with both the ghost and Alex (if possible) this way he could ghost directional vectors to alex by their comparative possitions.  thus one jump to dmz then direct Vinnie in that way.

A series of short jumps is more accurate and assuming that vinnie is rested then he should have more than enough quantum for it.

Vinnie is far from rested, and regardless, accuracy is not an issue if he don't know where Alex is. Vinnie doesn't have much problems hitting the spot he wants even with that distance, but he needs to know where to go.

And besides... even a teammate in trouble isn't enough to make Vinnie voluntarily let a telepath into his head.

Prof is right about the location and "twink" factor of telepathy. It's a great general power if you're nearby, but if you have any distance between you and your subject or the subject has a good block (psychic shield, high willpower) then it's almost useless. What I see some of the more overpowering aspects of Telepathy are balanced out. But you're right what Prof rules is good as gold to me. I didn't honestly think I'd get ahold of Alex (I figured he was too far out of range, which is why Ian said.. I dunno if this will work..) and keeping the link between Vinnie and Alex is totally out of the question for Ian. For the following reasons...

• Vinnie has obvious discomfort having a telepath in his head
  • Takes up quantum points that Ian may need for another mission he's leaving on
  • Ian's going to be on the other side of the world in a few minutes so it doesn't really bode well anyway.
  • I'm just selfish like that.
And sure Ayre, I can pinpoint Alex better.. if I were closer... And as a thinking nova I'm not really going to want to get that close to an army with half a ton of weaponry to shoot at me.

*I don't want to kill anyone. I may not have a choice, though. I'm not bulletproof.*

Says the guy who hardly got a mark from Glacier trying to rip him apart.

*There are seven working defenses from this position. Three of them disarm with minimal contact. Three of them kill. One of them...HURTS.*

HEY!!! You shouldn't quote the master like that without crediting him... I knew the Stranger was a Batman fan. ::wink

I still think that the fact that Ian could find Alex without ever having met the guy halfway across the globe is a bit much...

Prof "X" is a super duper Telepath and uses a super duper machine making his telepathic powers uhmmm even more super duper. Even then, finding some specific mind is no easy feat. I think finding specific minds should take into consideration the number of minds present? (i.e. Finding Bill in the Savannah will be easier than in Tokyo) Finding Bill amongst the populace of Korea / USA / Japan should be nigh impossible. It implies scanning surface thoughts of millions of minds until finding what you're looking for.

Just my take on it...

Hardly got a mark?! ::blink Well, okay, there's no scars, but Glacier still knocked Stranger to Incap...I'm just lucky Frosty had Virus to chase afterwards.

Hehe...I was really hoping someone would catch that little quote. Frank Miller is the man! All credit where credit is due. I just didn't want to clutter the IC thread with raves about comic book authors. The Stranger is definitely a Batman fan; so am I, obviously. ::rolleyes ::wink

Archived