Trinity Universe: Game anyone?

Umoja

The character creation rules I have in mind should be interesting. This will probibly be a bit of a play test on them.

Requests? Types of games people are interested in? Powerlevels people expect? Themes? Blah, blah, blah?

Dr. O. / anyone planning to run a game (theres a few of you! )

Don't forget that if you want some things (eg word files, picture files etc) made available for your game, we can do so through another hosting account we have, and link direct to them from the forum posts.

Check out the Adventure! game intro by Heritage to see what I mean.

Anything else you guys need, let me know about it and me / the staffers will make it happen.....

With the sole exception of passing comments on Dr O's latest Xena costume - thats better left alone!

:D

Okay, I'm thinking Africa would be a nice place to launch this game off the ground with.  I don't have any of the World Wide Books but I think the game should take place about 2009 or 2010.  I am thinking a Marketplace south of the Ethiopian highlands would be nice, and it would put alot of Muslims and other people's that aren't usually in Abberant games.  Characters, if you ask me, shouldn't be insanely powerful been through all types of things guys but more 'young' type of Abbies.  Alligence shouldn't much matter either.

Interesting. Very interesting Umoja. Any themes that would please you in particular?

Other comments? Other suggestions?

Admin. You mentioned a curtain dislike of "Superhero" styled games. What about those games have been disagreeable to you?

I personally see a more “superhuman” theme rather than a “superhero” style in Aberrant that appeals to me (and my megalomania). Power is nothing without direction, effort, and focus. Effort is always greater than simple, raw, ignorant, immobile power. I’m ranting again. Moving on…

Any elements people who NOT like to see? I can't avoid all pet peeves, but I can avoid some.

Oh, and I will hopefully have some rules for those who wish to play “Baselines” that will make them not be so weak and pathetic as they are in Aberrant rules. (What do you mean I can’t spend Willpower points for auto successes without an M-R Node?!) I think one of Aberrant’s subtle flaws is the Novas overshadowing Baselines a bit too much. I believe that is why there are so many Divis Mal freaks on the WW Forum who fail to notice (or willingly ignore) any flaws in Teras.  :sarcasm Damn you Blackweilder! You… you… mathmatician!

I really don't mind what their is just keep in mind that this is a major Utopia area, and a Directive Agent, for example, wouldn't have as much power as they would want.

I would also like non-mutated horribly beyond belief type of Novas.

I'd like in on the game set in Addis Abba, and probably the other one two.  I have no character idea right yet, but I will make sure that I get back to you both once you have fleshed out parameters for your games.  I am not fussy about what themes are included, just as long as they are original and fun!

See ya later.   :)

Ooh, ooh, I want in, too! I'll play Aberrant anytime, anywhere! Especially since I was in a great online game that just disappeared one day...very sad.

I'd be very interested in playing a low-powered nova Directive agent, if that was possible.

Okay this is comming together good.  I had planned on playing a directive agent as well.  Here is the info I have managed to think of so far-

Starting Location-

Small Marketplace outside of Addis Abba, Ethiopia.

Time-

June 22, 2009

Major Nova Presense-

Utopia, Small and very Subtle Teragen Movement and Directive Agents trying to sway Ethiopia into becoming a member state.

Cultural information(very little)-

English widely spoken and written along with Italian.  The main language though is Amharic which has it's own writting system and is slowly falling into more and more favor as the government slowly becomes more "Bantu" in nature.  Most of the people on the Ethiopian Highlands are Christians and the lowlands are Muslims, of course the improvement of the Plateu has made many Muslims move up to it, this has caused tension between the religions.

hmmm, it could be tricky with alligances, although if the game were set in a place *similar* in attitude to the amp room (in my mind, if not the books it is a pretty much a who cares, just don't start fights atmosphere) that could work well... i personally would want to avoid the-holier-than-though-beating-each-other-over-the-head type game... but otherwise i'd join in pretty readily...

-harlequin

Mmmm, I wanted to play a low-powered Directive Agent as well, but for balance I may play something else if we already have two.  Oh, and rather than try and convince the Ethiopoans to join, they probably would be keeping an eye on the Highlands to see what happens to them.  Obviously it must be Project Utopia's first step to taking over the world, all this terraforming tripe is simply their cover....

I love cynisicm and paranoia I do   ;)

Hello, all!

Let me tell you; I´d be extremely interested in trying out an Aberrant chronicle; I have so many character concepts that I wish to try out. It IS my favourite game, after all.

As for general themes, I´d prefer the social interaction to be put it contrast with Authority-style widescreen action; BIG things happening. A single, three-story building toppling over might be all right in Top Secret, but in Aberrant... it takes cities. Don´t take me wrong; I do not want a campaign themed to mass slaughter and destruction of property; I prefer to play something a little more subtle in approach. It´s just that when things happen, they should happen with a bang. Large-scale shit.

Dr 0, let me known if I get the chance to play.

Umoja and Dr. 0 - are both of you planning on running a game, or is there only one?

If the Ethiopian game is a go, I have a question: Is Amharic a Bantu language, and if so, would taking Bantu as a language family cover Amharic and other tribal languages in the region? And how common is Arabic in the area?

I have a character sheet for my Directive agent nearly finished - I can email it to anyone who needs it.

Hello all.

I am very pleased with initial responses! Especially Umoja’s.

The little things taking up my time are being dealt with, and I will soon begin the games for anyone interested. Most likely by next week, God willing. Thank you for you patients with me.

This is what is going through my little, warped mind. I intend to open two IC games. One will be a “Play what you will” style that is open to all, ranging from Character just below Divis Mal level to Baselines, the other will be a much more structured game with a fairly specific plot and character generation rules you can influence greatly.

So far Umoja’s ideas are influencing the set up of the more formal one. This “formal” game IS being created according to Player’s desires, so if you want curtain themes or suggestions included, tell me, and I will see what I can do. YOUR PC ARE THE MAIN CHARACTERS OF A STORY, so don’t be shy about ideas. I’m just the Director and set man. You are making the stars.

It will probably be a Directive game (I love the Directive) as suggested in Ethiopia. So far, I will allow Stealth Novas, Maybe one “flashy” Nova who Erupted on the job, and Baseline Directive Agents. The Baseline Character Creation rules WILL be changed, because I find them laughable Balance wise, but for the most part they will be cribbed directly from the Trinity Player’s Guide on Neutral Character Creation (the writers of the PG knew what they where doing with that one in my opinion). I will post them for those without Mr. Trinity PG soon.

I am toying with the idea about allowing Psiads and Daredevils (Daredevils are Neutrals/Baselines to me, and not another race of Superhuman mutant), but I am weary about confusion, so I will look more into it to see if it will make it too complicated. Your opinions on this will affect the outcome if you choose.

I will be excepting “character sheets” next week, and please feel fee to work on yours if you already have an idea, but I will be mentioning some Character Creation changes soon. They should be pretty straight forward, and I doubt they will cause much change. I like Player freedom, and for you to feel like you are a real player in the game with potential to change things for better or worse.

Here are a few changes I am have already decided on.

Curtain Banned Nova Powers:

Any Time Power

Any power that allows you to see the future.

Matter Chameleon (I had some real problems with that one last time, and it almost ruined my last game for both me and my Players)

Banned Merits/Flaws:

I do not have my PG on me, but that Merit that makes you almost immune to Taint.

I might allow curtain WOD Merits/Flaws at indivigual request such as True Love. (I have had great fun with that one.)

I hope that does not come off to restrictive. I only ban them if I honestly feel they would hurt the game and/or have had bad experiences with them.

Heritage-

Amharic is actually an Afro-Semetic language.  It has closeness to Hebrew and Arabic. (Hebrew- Shaalom, Arab- Saalam, Amharic- Salem)  It has it's own writting system which is an Alphabet. The language was supposedly 'created' during the reign of the Queen of Sheba when King Solomon came to Ethiopia, this also explains the Jewish population.

Arabic is in a way a Muslim language and as much of Southern Ethiopia is Islamic, their are many people who speak Arabic.  So technically have a specialty with Semetic languages would be useful.

Dr. 0-

I plan on running the Ethiopia game alot like A-Z with very few restrictions and no need for a character sheet, I like an honor system and trust, that like in Improv, you don't go against what a person says, and try to keep the game fun for everyone.

((Dr.0 Sweeps up the remains of Heritage’s head.))

Fear not, little mortals!

((Dr.0 leaves, stage right. Bells, whistles, and blowtorches can be heard, and along with other fancy machine noises.))

((Dr.0 walk back in with an item clocked under a purple silk sheet about the size of a basket ball.))

Behold!

The fruits of my super science!

((Dr.0 dramatically unveils the object, revealing a glass “jar,” filled with clear fluids, with neat small devices at it’s base [pretty buttons too!] that contains Heritage’s repaired cranium!))

My super scientific skills have grown so great, I can regenerate a fully conscious, whole organic life form, memories in tacit (!) from mere cell samples! Ah-ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! What was I laughing about? Oh yeah. Hee! Ha! ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, just do it! TM Ha! ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, Don’t drink the water! Ha! ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, I’m going to Disney Land! Ha! ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha… Hum, ah, yeah. It’s funny.

Damn Xena outfit is chafing again!

((Adjusts metal brazier and bra.))

Hum. I thought Umoja’s coments were suggestions for the game I intended to run. I guess you can not have two games about the same area. Anyone wish to suggest another setting or anything for the game I intend to run? I would still like to do a Directive one.

oops - I missed the plot on that one....

Although its up to you guys to decide (Umoja & Dr 0), I think that two games about different subjects would be better..

There are certainly enough players for 2 games, but to be fair to the storytellers, the setting / themes should be different.

So then, anyone want to take up Dr 0 on his offer...?

What setting / themes would you like to see?

Hmm, where would a fun place be to set a Directive game? I liked someone's suggestion of operating in a country that the Directive was hoping would join - a delicate balancing act hidden from the public view. China is one choice, but the research requirements would be considerable. Germany perhaps, where the Directive is welcomed in secret but publicly mistrusted?

One sort of traditional setting that comes to mind is Washinton, D.C. - I played in a Mage game set there, and it was very cool. I highly recommend the Rough Guide travelbook series as an excellent introduction to almost any locale in the world, of which the D.C. book is a great example. Lots of history, physical description and a very dry sense of humor really bring the city to life.

Or maybe something more jet-sety? If you've never seen it, the show 'Alias' on ABC is a nice place to rip off a very cool, high-tech international style, with neat gadgets and titles flashing 'Madrid' and 'Istambul'. It's like a combination of James Bond and an old Republic movie serial with cliffhanger endings almost every week. And it's also fun to watch Jennifer Garner kick ass.

Ibiza is another obvious choice, as are New York and London. I think of the Directive as mostly operating in civilized environments, but Kashmir might be cool, too, or monitoring nova stars in Bollywood. Or Hong Kong, going up against the Heaven Thuder Triad? This could be part of a campaign to woo China into the fold - 'see, we're helping!' - but would everyone in Bejing want to see the HTT brought to its knees?

Well, those are my sort of random suggestions - anyone else?

Request: I liked everything you've said in your previous posts on this subject, so I request that you keep as much of that intact as possible, especially what you wrote about characters, game balance, etc.

Themes: Personally, my favorite theme in Aberrant is Responsibility, either addressing the lack of it, conflicts of interest over it, people being all hung up over it, etc. But a campaign doesn't have to be built around that for me to like it; I just like to see it addressed in an intelligent fashion.

Character Group(s): I'd still like to do a Directive campaign, since they're probably my favorite faction, in both their positive and negative aspects.

Place(s): See my earlier post a few back with my suggestions.

Mode: As in how it's run, organized, etc? That's probably the toughest nut to crack; I haven't done online gaming for long (a little over a year, I think), so I'm still not sure what the best method is. I guess to me the most important issue is clarity - as long as everybody understands what's going on, without any confusion over who's standing where, what time it is, etc, I'm pretty happy.

Anyone else?

• 1 month later...

On a hypothetical level - is it still a "free-for-all" situation on the Ethiopia game, if a hypothetical Aberrant-starved roleplayingmaniac would feel the urge to play?

Any limits/caps/etc. that I should know about?

• 1 year later...

Who'd be intrested in another Aberrant Forum Game not by ProfPotts? I was pondering briefly on doing one...

For a few reasons:

• ProfPotts gets to play
  • It's fun.
  • I love to give a good challenge to intelligent players.
  • It's fun.
  • I'm sure there's more reasons but I'm not sure of them..
But at the same time I'd not want to step on too many toes... My only house rule (that I've got on the books and know that I'm doing.. Feel free to suggest more) is that I allow the pooling of Attribute points during character creation. (I tend to find the characters stay pretty balanced anyway)

Let me know somehow if you're intrested.. Please.. If not.. I'll go back to playing and contributing when I can..

Archived