Status of the line by Bruce Baugh

CHILL

here you go - just went up:

"Just say it explicitly: no, there's no news. Right now I'm expecting that there won't be adventure follow-ups, and I've been told nothing lately about Asia Ascendant. (The last time I was told something it was just before some shifting around at Arthaus and WW. I don't _think_ they affect it, but I hesitate to say for sure.) I would like to have a definite word myself, but it may take a while - among other things, WW management had to get involved in dealings about the status of the fan club and live-action group, and that involves a lot more people, frankly, than Aeon Continuum sales do. (The Camarilla by itself has more members than there Trinity customers, and there are a lot more MET customers than that.)

So don't hold your breath waiting just right now. As always, news when there's news to give."

Is it chilly in here or is it just me. Maybe the ball hasn't been dropped but it sounds like it. Well brothers & sisters  this doesn't sound like encouraging news. Chris it looks like we maybe in for a colder winter than I thought. Gods the mind doth boogle. Chris thanks for doing a fantastic job bring us the news anyway. I just ordered a bunch of stuff for the game from my distributer for my girlfriend, her son & wife, plus some stuff for my best friend. Keep the Sci-fi dream alive. :sly

Chris i'll e-mail you soon pal & Mal don't be good.Night brothers.

Well, I wish I could be all optimistic about this.  White Wolf too giddy with the sales of Exalted to give a crap about its less popular lines.

Honestly, its no excuse that MET, Vampire and Exalted sells a thousand times more copies than Trinity.  Fans are fans and at the very least we need to be informed on the status of a game line.  While I care if the line survives, I demand to at least be told when WW has had enough.

Needless to say I expect six more months of silence...  but its nothing more than I expect from most RPG companies these days.  While many reps have to deal with the crappy attitudes of some gamers, its still no excuse for the lowsy customer service.  I mean no matter how little the overall sales are, we still forked out money for the system; if it isn't going to survive I believe we deserve to be told as soon as possible.

Thank the great maker we have guys like Bruce who at try and keep us informed, even though even he is often kept in the dark...

Oi Aeon ya bugger - you'll get me sued :D

Seriously guys (cough cough, clears throat).

Bruce has been good to us A.C. fans since he took over.  I dont think I've come across another developer so keen to communicate with the fans.

I can tell you from my own experience in business (I run my own company btw) that a LOT of stuff can happen, which has direct effects on product releases, the 'grand plans', marketing excercises etc - you name it - if it can go wrong etc......

Yep, A.C doesnt sell as well as the other lines.  So what.  We'll make do with what comes along - and appreciate it when it comes out - just look at the positive response Terra Verde has got.

WW is currently sorting out all manner of stuff that I would class as 'out of the ordinary' - I would imagine the whole Camarialla thing takes up a no small amount of time, then you've got the neww President of the company taking over recentl - its all swings and roundabouts - lets just roll with it.

.........and don't forget - for those of us who are staffers, as well as the many visitors to this site - NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS - EON will continue to exist.  We will be around for as long as people want to put up with us :D

One way or another the games will keep getting promoted. :D

Long post, but answers many questions.

Subject: [All] Delays

IanWatson - 01/21/2002 01:46:58 - ianwatson@newbremen.net

If any of you are wondering about further delays to products, we're probably in store for some.

http://www.white-wolf.com/camarilla

White Wolf is currently involved in the adoption of the Camarilla Official Fan Club, and legal stuff against the Non-Profit Organization which held that title prior. This is taking time and resources I'm sure many employees would rather be put towards creating product, but this is an important deal. Much as I love the Æon Continuum, if I were WW Prez right now, I'd definitely be putting ArtHaus stuff on hold for a while until some of this got sorted out.

I hope everyone else understands and supports White Wolf here.

-IanW

Dr.0 - 01/21/2002 09:56:54 - overlord_30@hotmail.com

I personally continue as I have always have, to support WW in any and all of it's actions, (despite previous unfounded accusations by a petty WW employee having a temper tantrum) IF, and ONLY if there is a good reason.

IF this is the case, than I support it perfectly. I am very much aware of the danger of the legality of the situation.

What I do not like or support is this veil of secrecy. I have seen it start unnecessary arguments and needless distrust between WW workers and fans, and I would like it to stop some day.

To me, it is childish.

You can not blame fans for ignorant comments if you keep them ignorant.

But thank you Ian for the opinion about it. It is very appreciated, and gives me some hope. I hope it is true, and not that we have been forgotten.

UndeniablySevenfish - 01/21/2002 12:16:10 - hatboy@telocity.com

Well, since A) Arthaus is seperate from WW-prime, and B) all Arthaus writing is done by freelancers (hell, our *line developer* is a freelancer), I don't think it'll impact us.

Then again, if it did cause massive delays... who could tell the difference?

SovemII - 01/21/2002 12:24:23

Thanks Ian, for the info drop! I appreciate it very much. You and Bruce are great!

Thanks,

John

Dr.0 - 01/21/2002 12:27:26 - overlord_30@hotmail.com

Is this offical, or just theory? It sounded like theory.

GordonWhite - 01/21/2002 13:35:43

Arrrrrghh.

I don't know the corporate structure of White Wolf, but I'm hoping that this whole matter between White Wolf and "The Camarilla" can be compartmentalized and kept from interfering with production.

As for supporting White Wolf, all I can say is that I will continue to buy their games, regardless of how the whole White Wolf/"The Camarilla" matter shakes itself out.

My suggestion is that we just ignore the whole Camarilla fan club thing and concentrate on discussing Aeoniverse stuff. Sound cool?

Gordon White

sje - 01/21/2002 13:37:51

Given the argument that WW is taking control over the Camarilla is necessary so WW can have direct access to their customers and market their products, will WW be doing the same for Aeoniverse fans? (Oddly the motivation of the letter Mike Tinney wrote revolves around direct marketing to fans and intellectual property rather than a desire to create LARP games specifically)

Will there be an official fan club for the other WoD, AoS and Aeoniverse games?

Thanks,

SJE

necrossa - 01/21/2002 13:51:59 - chill@i12.com

SJE.

My thoughts exactly.

Personally Im not even the remotest bit interested in the Camarilla thingy - as a fan of white wolf products their remit doesn't cover the products I buy and use.......(bit like the dark spiral thing, but thats another story......**shrug**)

Aeon Fan Club :D *I can here the masses marching already*

(ps that last bit was a joke)

CHILL

IanWatson - 01/21/2002 21:50:34 - ianwatson@newbremen.net

The Camarilla is White Wolf's official fan club. It's not the "official World of Darkness fan club". It focuses largely on Vampire because that's the most popular game, both in tabletop and LARP. It focuses on LARP because that's how the Cam got started in the first place, and many policies/house rules don't translate well to the tabletop format. It focuses on the World of Darkness because nothing else has yet received its own LARP rules.

Who knows, if White Wolf sees a market for (say) expanding to cover tabletop as much as LARP, or expanding to support other game lines with even rudimentary LARP rules, they'll probably do it.

In any case, something like this can't exactly be "compartmentilized." Legal matters cost money. They also take peoples' time. Mike Tinney, for example is - or at least was - in charge of ArtHaus.

-IanW

Dr.0 - 01/21/2002 22:32:44 - overlord_30@hotmail.com

I still want to know if this is theory or fact. Is it fact that this legal situation is causing this, or not? I don't mind theorizing, but I like to seperate fact from thought.

Montano - 01/22/2002 01:02:06 - bruce-baugh@spiretech.com

Dr 0, it is a fact that Mike Tinney, who has overseen Arthaus, is now White Wolf President and required to deal with the Camarilla situation. It is a fact that legal proceedings are underway, with initial motions filed, and that WW (while big by the standards of roleplaying) is not really rolling in the dough, or extra staff. Therefore, it is a fact that lower-priority matters will have to wait some indefinite while. I know that nobody at WW wants to let the lawsuits do any more harm to the company than they have ot, but the fact is that they will do some, and we are low on the totem pole.

necrossa - 01/22/2002 03:36:50 - chill@i12.com

Cheers Bruce.

For what its worth, from readig the letter by Mike on the camarila pages... White Wolf appears totally justified in what its doing.... and I get the whole 'bottom of the totem pole' thing as well..

WW have have a fanclub that works for them and the fans. simple.

CHILL

Montano - 01/22/2002 04:24:49 - bruce-baugh@spiretech.com

I'd like a network of tabletop games, but I'm not holding my breath waiting. :)

DigitalRaven - 01/22/2002 04:50:34 - digital_raven@hotmail.com

You and me both, Bruce...

Stew

Freelance wordsmith

http://digital.raven.tripod.com

Dr.0 - 01/22/2002 07:12:50 - overlord_30@hotmail.com

"network of tabletop games?" Do you mean a network of fansites to them? I iz confused. Well, thanks for clearing up my perception about it Mr. Developertypeperson. It just sounded like theory at first, and I could care less to play the "let's pretend it's because of this" game. "Just the facts mam."

Well, I, for one, find this EXTREAMLY ecouraging! I personaly have a good vertue for waiting! And at lest you now have more time for that Lasombra stuff you seemed stressed on now, right M? As long as I know what is going on, I am happy, because it prevents the paranoid part of my brain from riding rough shot. ;p

TTFN

IanWatson - 01/22/2002 10:04:10 - ianwatson@newbremen.net

Dr. 0, I believe Bruce means something like what the Cam already has. It's a shared setting (more or less) used by LARPers all over. Events that happen in one game are reported and disseminated to others, so you really /can/ have an effect on the world you and many others game in.

If the Cam were to start supporting tabletop more, I'd sign up right now. Especially if they included Æon/Exalted/Scarred Lands/Ravenloft/whatever. (:

-IanW

notsoangrydave - 01/22/2002 13:11:47 - dgmakovec@students.wisc.edu

speaking of delays, Bruce, was this the delay that also held terra verde back for months? and if not, are you free to divulge what was?

Montano - 01/22/2002 13:26:38 - bruce-baugh@spiretech.com

I am not at liberty to go into everything I know about Terra Verde delays, but I can say this:

I didn't know about the problems with the Camarilla being anything like this bad until they erupted a couple of weeks ago. But in retrospect, it's obvious that they've been distracting Mike and others at WW for a while. Trying to negotiate in an intensely adversarial relationship is really hard.

CraigOxbrow - 01/22/2002 13:48:13

I can see that.

necrossa - 01/22/2002 13:58:29 - chill@i12.com

That sort of set-up is never fun, for either party.....

I'm sure it will get sorted in due course.... one way or another.

CHILL

GordonWhite - 01/22/2002 14:20:08

I'm currently an inactive (that is, I'm not currently participating, and haven't been for quite a while, although my dues are paid up) member of the Fan Club. But I do keep up with official announcements that come from the Board of Directors of the Fan Club, and they have stated that they have been in negotiations with White Wolf over contract matters for a few years. So I'm willing to bet that Bruce is right and that a great deal of White Wolf's attention has been consumed by this whole matter for a long time.

As for my feelings on the matter, I just want this whole matter resolved and have White Wolf get back to what they were doing: putting out cool games. The books must flow.

Gordon White

• 3 weeks later...

The Aeon line is bound to be much slower developing than the WOD lines, so we just have to be patient.

While White-Wolf is still in business there is still hope. I very much doubt that WW will go the way of West End Games [Alas the poor original [and far simpler and better] version of Star Wars, or the late lamented Hercules and Xena rpg [though I have a copy of that particular gem!!!] among others

]

Jackson Creed

• 1 month later...

:crysmiley

I just read through this whole thing and my only comment is if they plan to drop the line, any or all of it then they should let us know.  I personaly don't like most of the world of darkness junk and since there was nothing for abberant and trinity I stopped checking the web sight for it.  I found out about terra verda accidently when I found it in our computer system at work.  (I manage a book store)  I ordered the E-book and Adventure off the white wolf web sight, but ut takes them so long to come out with stuff that I thought they dumped trinity

:crysmiley

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While I'm certainly far from thrilled with the way WW has handled the line, I'm content with what we've gotten so far. Aberrant and Trinity each have most of the major sourcebooks and resources covered, and anyone can get a copy of all three games apiece and play them to their heart's content. If anything makes me less than happy, it's the fact that Adventure, a kick-ass game if there ever was one, may not get the Players Guide it so richly deserves.  ::sneaky2

-Defender.

Hiya Defender.

From what I can gather, the question of 'how well is Adventure doing, will it get more books? ' is still out with the jury.

We may see more stuff yet.........  and of course we may not.

Its the not knowing that can be a pain - guess we'll all just have to be patient and see what happens eh?

I don't know Anine. . .it kinda grows on ya.

Ahem.

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh _yeah_, that's the stuff.

-Defender.

I am MIGHTY!  :D

Archived