Star Wars: The New Sith Empire - Star Wars: OOC Thread

Dave ST

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Episode 1 will be closing down soon and we'll be picking up in Episode 2 (or Episode 1 Ch. 2... whichever sounds cooler)

I've awarded XP and spoils in the XP tracker thread, if you have questions, please ask them here and I've locked the thread for just that reason.

Is there anything inherently darkside about the red sith light saber? Obviously, don't answer that if it's something Joram needs to discover IC. Just wondering if it's a given that they are dark by definition, or if that's something that comes from the user.

No, there is nothing inherently light or dark about a lightsaber (or its color). There are several documented cases of Jedi using 'stolen' lightsabers from Sith in times of desperation. The red hue comes from the crystal, which are mined from a particularly abundant mineral.

The Jedi are more picky and mine finer crystals, but the mineral deposits that possess these finer crystals are fewer in number, thus why there are fewer 'colored' lightsabers and the Sith always seem to have red ones.

Tales of the lightsaber's color being a reflection of the Sith rage and anger is just that, tales. The color of a lightsaber can be reflected in the owner's personality, but it's strictly an STs decision. Usually, I'll have the color randomly generated if the PC can't decide on what color they'd like.

Particularly legendary lightsabers, like say, Darth Vader or The Emperor, then perhaps, yes, the weapon may carry with it some of the darkside taint that the owner possessed. What side effects that may be I've no idea... but now that I've thought about it I might have to devise something.

Thanks Dave. smile

I was sort of wondering what we are doing next after waiting for Joram and his charges to reach the ship. I haven't been very active, but that has been mostly my busy schedule and not really knowing what to write while the others were interacting in a separate scene.

Also, some thoughts I had for when things get squared away. Dave has not yet put up a Rebellion strength tracker, but I've chatted with him and its clear we couldn't win an arm wrestling contest with what we've got.

So, my proposal to my fellow Rebellion leaders: With the off-camera capture/destruction of the Stormtroopers, Star Destroyer, and any other Imperial thing that starts with S... we take the spoils of war, and strengthen our base of operations.

Meaning at least the following:

- Fortification (Actually have base security...)

- Recruitment (Without last time's mistakes, thank you... :P )

- Organization (Command Structure, sir!)

- Training (Make men out of these chumps...)

- Supplying (Food, equipment, women... laugh )

- Relocation (Cause truth be told, the Imps are on to this planet)

If I left anything out, please chime in.

Well, R2-FX could probably be a big help with at least some of those. With a good enough slicing roll, Dave is the only limit to the number of shipments/amount of cargo that could be rerouted/misplaced. Along the same vein, so long as no one (including Dave) has a problem with the 'unorthodox' method, funding shouldn't be that big of an issue either (at least until someone catches on). So, while he can't do even most of that list, FX should be able to be a big (albeit illegal) help to part of fortification and supplies.

Personally I don't care how you guys go about doing it. This is your Rebellion and you may run it as you see fit. Star makes a point, some actions can have repercussions to them later and others will not. Winning a planet to your side can result in them assisting you with funds and supplies. Stealing what you need may be faster, but if they find you out, then you have a whole mess of problems to deal with.

Honestly, there is a 'Light Side' way and a 'Dark Side' way to do things and hopefully you guys will have to make some tough calls (I don't expect anyone to get by as a 'Paladin' by the time this game runs it's course) but that's what leaders have to do sometimes.

There is no right or wrong way to play the game guys. Just have fun with it.

Quote:
Another question, should I start a separate thread for Joram working on his lightsaber, or should that be handled in the midst of the main threads?

If you like just start an independent thread, like a journal of his attempts. Keep in mind that it could take as long as a month to infuse the crystals, so that sort of down time might not be available at the moment.

Your own threads that describe these attempts are the sort of things that earn PCs extra XP. I encourage you guys to write fictions and have adventures that are outside the main threads. Like when Luke to construct his lightsaber and returned to Ben's home to do it, or the bounty hunter Han mentioned that they ran into on Ord Mantel... these are adventures we didn't see in the films, but they still developed the characters.

Keep in mind also that if the story presses on and you are not given the proper the amount of time to infuse the crystal with the Force, then I won't hold that part of the construction process against you (since it's my fault you didn't have the time to make it), the construction of the hilt though is still your responsibility.

You may notice the Rebel Alliance Stats thread. This is a work in progress and I'll be formatting it over the course of the next few days.

The premise is simple: as the game moves on the success and failure of the characters can influence the strength of the Alliance. You can't just knock on their door at Level XX and expect to just beat the bad guy and everything will fall apart and into the Alliance's hands. You'll need a military force that rivals theirs... and that's not going to be easy.

Choices you make, and a little randomness tossed into the mix, will allow the Alliance to gain troops, win over star systems, and collect enough resources to have a fleet capable of standing up to the Sith Empire...

...or everything will blow up in your face and you'll all be cornholed by a rancor in some seedy Sith betting parlor in the middle of nowhere.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to say, again, that I appreciate how patient you guys have been with this game. I should be back and working on this very soon, after I have some RL issues taking care of.

That said, in the mean time, take a few minutes to make sure your PCs are up to date and ready for when the storm hits. smile

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm working on organizing Chapter 2's list of event and plot hooks, it should be ready soon.

In the meantime, R2-FX can add the Plot Feat "You Broke It, You Bought It" to his character sheet in the 'Plot Feats' section of his character sheet.

"You Broke It, You Bought It"

Description: Most free droids tend to learn by doing and learning to fly a ship is no exception. After reviewing the log data from his attempt to battle the Sith Forces on Yavin in a space transport he had no idea how to operate R2-FX has come to realize exactly where things went wrong during the battle. Hey, sometimes it takes a few tries to get it right, right? At least it only took him crashing one ship to get the hang of it...

Effect: R2-FX is considered to have the feat Starship Operation: Space Transports.

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
I'm working on organizing Chapter 2's list of event and plot hooks, it should be ready soon.

In the meantime, R2-FX can add the Plot Feat "You Broke It, You Bought It" to his character sheet in the 'Plot Feats' section of his character sheet.

"You Broke It, You Bought It"
Description: Most free droids tend to learn by doing and learning to fly a ship is no exception. After reviewing the log data from his attempt to battle the Sith Forces on Yavin in a space transport he had no idea how to operate R2-FX has come to realize exactly where things went wrong during the battle. Hey, sometimes it takes a few tries to get it right, right? At least it only took him crashing one ship to get the hang of it...
Effect: R2-FX is considered to have the feat Starship Operation: Space Transports.

So you're rewarding R2-FX for ruining Layel's prize ship? Do we give Layel a Rage plot feat then? wink

Actually I'm rewarding him for ruining my prize ship. smile As a player, and a PC, he made a call and stuck to his guns, despite the shit storm that will (and did) inevitably follow. Even when I presented the player with overwhelming odds and obvious defeat, he still charged in and acted in a manner that was true to the character.

I don't envy him when/if Layel finds out.

Plot Feats are rewards that I hand out that are basically 'special abilities'. They are sometimes just regular feats but are more commonly feats that unique to the character (i.e. no other PC will possess that feat). A few examples of one's I've gave out in the past include:

"If You Had It, You Should've Shot It"

In addition to the standard action granted during a surpirse round, the blasterslinger may take a free attack of opportunity on any opponent that does not yet have a weapon prepared (handy for Cantena shoot-outs).

"Sins of the Father"

Although just a clone, Gavin Qel-Droma possesses minor fragments of past memories. Determined not to follow in the same path of his 'father' Ulic, he may reach deep within for reserves of will unseen in most Jedi. Once per day he may spend a Force Point to free himself from mental coercion spawned from the Darkside of the Force and is immune to that powers effects for 24 hours afterward (to prevent power spamming). Note that the Sith technique known as dun'moch is not considered a 'Force Power' and Gavin must face his demons alone when confronting a Sith skilled in this dark technique.

The feats are generally awarded based on how the PCs act and are played, which is why they end up unique to the PC that receives them. I'm not one of those GMs who hordes feats and makes sure that PCs only have X amount. I've ran games where PCs have had 20+ feats with most of them home brewed plot based ones simply because was going well and they'd earned them (some were useful, and some weren't except in certain situations).

Besides... when the PCs get plot feats it gives me a reason to give the enemies special abilities that aren't in the core books and justify them by calling them 'plot feats'. smile

Hey all. In case some of you did not watch the news or forgot, I live in Tokyo, Japan. After the big earthquake and such, I ended up evacuating to the States for for these past several weeks and I am still there. While the game was on pause, I never mentioned this as my difficulties in not being able to post did not matter.

But as we kick off again, I cannot continue until things return to normal. I head back home on Saturday/Sunday and likely will have much RL issues to deal with. I should return to a normal schedule by mid-next week. I will try to read up and catch up then. Any help on mentioning where my character is in the current scene(s) will help me catch up faster. wink

Bear with me guys when it comes to the Jedi Council. It's a lot of NPCs for me to juggle without making 1,000,000 word posts. I'm trying to use only two or three at a time despite all of them sitting there. This way they eventually all will get some 'screen' time so you can 'meet' them and get a feel for their personalities.

If you want to address one that isn't currently in the scene, don't be afraid to. If you address them I'll reply with them. The council, when you have the opportunity, is a resource. Much like how Obi-Wan went to Yoda and Windu for assistance. Even Anakin went to Yoda, for all the good it did the lil sissy. That's why I placed their classes up for you to see, since the Jedi (with the exception of Hana for the moment) would obviously know the specialties of their masters. Master Lora for example, as an instructor has a an abundance of knowledge skills that he can use to assist you with any tough spots you encounter.

Obviously they shouldn't be a crutch to make up for your own skills or lack there of, but masters are meant to be helpful so I want to make sure they are as useful as they were in the movies from time to time.

Akira - Honestly she is where ever you'd like her to be. She could have went with Joram to see the masters (and just been silent up until some point), or she could have offered her assistance to Dari with whatever tasks the noble woman has. It's really up to you.

Woohoo, Joram's got a hottie for a master!

er, I mean yeah, Jedi council is a lot of npcs to juggle, but yer doing great. smile

Seriously, though, glad the game is back on and welcome back Rev.

Akira, I hadn't realized you were from Tokyo. Hope everything is good for you when you get home. Come back to us when you can, but don't stress over it. You've gotta take care of RL matters, they come first.

Originally Posted By: Jedi
"Master, perhaps this is the force moving. If there is only one Star Destroyer and a few Sith... they will be expecting us to flee, but what if we strike instead? With the masters and padawan we might stand a chance of taking the Star Destroyer. That would send a strong message and give us a powerful ship to use as a mobile base of operations for the rebellion."

He was expecting that everyone in the room would look at him as if he were crazy for suggesting it, and perhaps he was.

Joram, you might want to reconsider your suggestion. A Star Destroyer requires a crew compliment in the tens of thousands. It has almost 300 gunners. I'm pretty sure that taking the ship isn't an option, and I also suspect that Joram would know something like that. smile However, props for thinking epic. grin

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_I-class_Star_Destroyer

I'm not so sure it's impossible. No way they could fight tens of thousands, but they wouldn't have to. You'd only need to take control of key systems on the ship and you could force the crew to evacuate which was what I had in mind. It wouldn't be very jedi like to kill the crew after all. Most of them are innocent people just trying to live their lives. Unless they are actively trying to kill you, in which case they become valid targets.

Of course they'll attack, but they are inside a ship and they can't all come at you at once. I see taking a star destroyer as something a strike team of jedi masters could do. I'm not saying our little group can accomplish it, but I don't see it as being outside the realm of possibility.

As I said, you wouldn't need to take control of the entire ship and defeat all 9700 storm troopers. You'd just need to get in and take key things, like the bridge and engineering, life support, etc. It's the sort of crazy over the top scheme you'd see in one of the books or movies. After all Luke, Han and a handful of their friends destroyed two Death Stars and they had crew compliments in the hundreds of thousands. In the first movie, they got in and disabled one key system that would allow them to escape, and got out and Darth Vader himself was on board, and that was a fully operational station with probably near a million crew.

I'm also not suggesting a full frontal assault. I was thinking that we would use the escape attempt as a distraction and while they were focused on that we could sneak in and make the attempt.

I was referring to after the fight. Jedi are pretty hot stuff and it's hard to argue with their abilities. I was concerned that Joram meant to use the ship for the Rebellion and I don't think they have the numbers for that yet.

There we go. Changed it from capturing to sabotaging which would only require that we find a way to sneak aboard.

Edit:

One more thought. It does take a large crew, even a skeleton crew, but if the ship is already up and running and ready to jump, then all it would take would be to capture the bridge and set coordinates to someplace where you could hide the ship until you had the people to crew it. So then we are back to the idea of capturing it.

I'll leave it up to Dave. Right now the suggestion is to sabotage it, but I will change it back to capture if the ST says that's doable.

More fun facts about Star Destroyers:

1) One hyperspace jump takes more power than most heavily-settled planets produce in ten years.

2) Producing 1 Imperial-class Star Destroyer costs the GDP of 100 worlds. A fleet of smaller cruisers costs less than 1 SD and projects the same amount of force much more flexibly.

3) Rebel Spec-Ops during the original Rebellion referred to Star Destroyers as "174,000 design flaws waiting to be exploited."

grin

In my opinion, provided that it is captured in pristine condition, it would only take a bridge crew to fly the thing. The skeleton crew is what is needed to keep it marginally operational.

Besides, I know of the perfect way to dispose of all those nasty stormtroopers... though as Dave has pointed out in PM's before it would probably make R2-FX a war criminal...

Click to reveal..
Basically all he would have to do would be to lock key doors closed (detention center, engineering, personal quarters, bridge, etc.) lock the rest of the doors open, then deactivate the magcon fields. That would expose the entire ship (besides the afore mentioned 'safe zones') to vacuum, thus negating any resistance. Then the 'safe zones' could be secured one area at a time. Of course, while more efficient than wasting a blaster bolt for each and every one of those hostiles, it is apparently also more wrong...

Then it would just be a matter of ferrying down the people who didn't want to join but weren't actively hostile to the surface of the planet, securing those who wanted to join until their loyalty could be proven, and jumping the SD to an undisclosed location, powering it down and booby-trapping it to await for our return when we could use it effectively.

Honestly I think it's doable, especially the taking the bridge part. The problem is getting there undetected.

Archived