Aberrant: Dead Rising - Taking counsel

Mr Fox

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Looking directly to Violet, "One of the reasons I specifically asked you and James to attend tonight is because we need to address the morale problem that you to have caused over the last couple weeks since you became a couple so to speak."
*Here it comes.* James put on his best poker face.

Quote:
Fox looked at Hettie and Gerald, "I won't be part of any community that mandates moralistic laws about personal conduct choice of who you can and cannot sleep with." Looking back to Violet and James, "On the other hand, your non-traditional family unit to put it in the best terms, has caused a definite hit to the communities morale and something needs to be done about that. It's all good to say, we won't legislate morals, but it's another to allow a situation that actually causes fights and hurts the community that we are trying to rebuild."
*Bla Bla Bla. I already know what the background is. This is the part where the judge says both of you that you have solid cases... even if one of you doesn't.*

Quote:
Looking back to Violet and James again, "Hattie has it right though. If you two and the sisters want to be part of the community and be accepted you need to get out and work for the community and put your skills to good use side by side with the other citizens. Until now you've been mostly working toward your own benefit by building the club and I allowed that because I thought it would benefit morale, but I think you should both consider spending a good chunk of your time on the other things that can help the community."
*Is that it? Verbal hand-slap and orders to go show off?*

Quote:
"James. Until such time as we do hold elections, I am the law in these parts as the old saying goes. Your actions on the mission to Elijah's caused direct harm to another. I've been petitioned to pass judgment against you for that. In light of what I've just said and after discussion with the man you almost killed, I sentence you to two weeks of community service, and you will not be allowed to join our next expedition."
James kept his poker face while he digested that.

*Like two minutes ago Priest was offering to take us with him so he couldn't have been all that upset... that mess was in no small part Priest mis-reading the future anyway.*

Quote:
Fox held up a hand that James could not see to forestall protest and continued quickly before anyone could speak. "It is an empty threat since I can't force you to accept the judgment short of threat of exile, but if you do want to be part of the community and start to change their perceptions of you, then I suggest you accept it. It will be a good opportunity for you to get to know folks and them to know you in return. A little mutual respect built through community service would go a long way."
*Ah, community respect. Thought so. Verbal hand-slap and orders to go show off for two weeks. I.e. Fox shows that he's in charge and that he takes the peasants seriously... by ordering the blind man not to go on a mission that he couldn't go on anyway.*

*Translation: Go build the wall until you can fight zoms and show that you can rip someone's head off so that you don't actually have to do so.*

*Fine by me.*

James said, "I accept the judgment."

Dan nods. Jame's sentence was light, much lighter than the one he'd have imposed. Helooks to the Baselines who don't seem really mollified by the whole thing.

"You're right about crimes and punishment. I always hated the "lock'em up and let them rot" mentality. That was very wasteful. Let the convicted work for the betterment of others, can even offer parole incentives for good work and such, much as was once done."

He looks to Violet. "I have no issue with you or James as you already know. Your private lives are simply that, and di not affect mine. "

He looks to the regulars and smiles. "I believe everyone at this refuge should have the opportunity to be happy. I've stayed on here because I've come to like some of the people here, and it's nice to have somewhere I can call home that isn't the back seat of my Humvee."

Violet looked frustrated but she had asked for this. "I never tried to do anything that would harm this community. That was - if at all - completely unintentional. Jasmine talked to me about what was going on and I honestly wasn't aware of that. You may think what you want but it is not easy for me to go outside and take a walk just like that or help somewhere out if I'm alone. The club is the only place where I can move around freely without causing a minor riot.", the extremely buxom woman shifted her weight from one foot to the other as she continued. No matter what she did her bodylanguage constantly transmitted a sexual message that could be interpreted in many ways.

"I agreed to change the club into a more public space. Something like a bar/restaurant thing with a stage for performances and live music. I'm willing to do my share of public service and help where I can but my options are limited. Initially I thought it was a good idea to do what I'm best at but this is obviously not needed and much less wanted. I've got enough space upstairs to provide good quarters with access to warm water for a handful of refugees but since it's my place and the only private area I got I want to choose who can move in there. I was hoping to offer that as some sort of payment in return for running the bar and restaurant area."

Violet turned to Hettie and Ger, "All I want from you is tolerance and respect but you've got to understand what my situation is. If I go help out at any construction site it will cause more trouble than do anything good - no matter how hard I try to dress down. I can't move around freely without James. This may sound silly but I need him. I think you've got no idea how that feels like. How living like this means. Don't believe that being one of the supers is like winning the lottery these days - I'm sure you wouldn't like to switch places with me.", her last sentence was directed at Hettie without trying to sound too accusingly or threatening. Violet could've gone on but she decided to wait how this would be received by her peers.

Quote:
He move towards Jon. He spoke in a soft tone.

"You made a big mistake back there, I am not angry with you about it. I am going to say this, don't do shit like that again."

"Hey man!" Jon said loudly. "Don't blame me for that self important psycho. And speaking of self important, I think everyone around here has just about had it with your high and mighty tone. You think you're so god damned wiser than everyone. Well let me clue you in buddy...age does not equal wisdom and if you were half as wise as you seem to think you are, you wouldn't go around talking down to everyone. Now...get outta my face."

Jon's good mood and hale presence had easily alchemized into a healthy anger. As the room turned to take in his outburst he neither back down nor showed any shame.

"Easy now." Once a bartender, always a bartender, Bond mused to himself as he stepped with a smooth flowing motion between the two men, his face and body language calm as he raised his hands soothingly. "There is no need for this here, gentlemen. Whatever the problem is, I'm sure it can be worked out quietly, peacefully, and perhaps over a drink later... in private?"

He gave them both a friendly smile, his gaze level. "After all, we're here trying to build something better, not let misunderstandings tear it down. Let's sit down and keep calm, hmm?" He kept himself between Jon and Wesson, but was not at all tense or aggressive in demeanour. "I'd like the meeting to continue."

"Yeah...well you might want to add the Lost bridge enclave as a potential threat." Jon turned toward the meeting, not seeming to mind the proximity of the Englishman.

"They are both insular and extreme in the way they treat survivors and the place is run by a megalomaniac named Dick who will apparently execute anyone who disagrees with him. His own people were afraid of him and they were all sequestered underground."

"This man," Jon indicated the ever younger Wesson "as...abrasive...as he can be, even offered to help them reclaim the surface but they wouldn't even listen. I'm not saying they currently pose a threat and I'm all in favor of letting sleeping dogs lie...but eventually they wake up and we might want to be prepared."

"As for the running of this community, I can't say I have much of a stake. My real concern involves protection, especially from this hostile military force. In thay sense you could say I'm invested in our mutual defense and success."

Looking to Jon, he grinned.

"You think Dick is such a threat, why not kill him?You do not know a thing about me,or why I think the way I do. Your mistake was not in being violent, but in not taking it all the way. You do not maim. If you are going to far enough to maim anyone, you may as well kill them.It saves you trouble in the long run."

Pausing a bit.

"Jon, you think I am rude,mean, vile whatever or vile.I am not, I am frustrated.You may see my better side sooner than you think, you may never see it. I can't say what will you see."

"It wasn't my place to pass any judgments...at the time our first concern was evacuating their tunnels safely with Gabrielle. One of Dick's men got a little trigger happy but for all I know he was following orders or afraid for his own life. If you are so keen to assasination, why didn't you do it?"

Jon crossed his arms. "And for the record I don't find you vile, merely pedantic. I'm sure you have quite a few useful skills and abilities but coming across like a know-it-all isn't helping your cause."

Originally Posted By: Violet
Violet turned to Hettie and Ger, "All I want from you is tolerance and respect but you've got to understand what my situation is. If I go help out at any construction site it will cause more trouble than do anything good - no matter how hard I try to dress down. I can't move around freely without James. This may sound silly but I need him. I think you've got no idea how that feels like. How living like this means. Don't believe that being one of the supers is like winning the lottery these days - I'm sure you wouldn't like to switch places with me.", her last sentence was directed at Hettie without trying to sound too accusingly or threatening. Violet could've gone on but she decided to wait how this would be received by her peers.
James said, "That's a problem. I suppose..." James continued the thought mentally, *I suppose I could make an example out of someone, but some things are best acted on and not said.*

Originally Posted By: SkyLion
"...They are both insular and extreme in the way they treat survivors and the place is run by a megalomaniac named Dick who will apparently execute anyone who disagrees with him. His own people were afraid of him and they were all sequestered underground."
*A Dick named Dick? Underground?*

James asked in a puzzled voice, "How could that work? How do you farm, hunt, or raid if you're underground?"
Originally Posted By: Wesson
"...You do not maim. If you are going to far enough to maim anyone, you may as well kill them. It saves you trouble in the long run."
whistle

*Wait a moment. Examples... I guess I could just tell them.* James held out one arm in an 'I'm thinking' pose then he moved to 'Why not'.

Finally he said to where he thought the Preacher and his wife were, "This would probably be a good time to mention Violet is amazing in bed. Superhumanly good... or more specifically, too good. I don't think a normal man would survive having sex with her. Her powers, well, she can make... err..."

James struggles for a moment then continues, "It'd be like using drugs to run the Boston Marathon when you're not in shape. It can be done but it's not a good idea. I'm pretty sure a normal man would have a heart attack or stroke from that much stimulation. If you're used to five or ten minutes then several hours is just too much." From James' tone he is completely serious.

James added, "On the other hand, what a way to go." cool

In a very sad voice, much like a dissappointed parent talking to a child,

"James, what does that have to say about Joanna, and Jill? I mean, if you are so super ... how can they hope to keep up with you? What are you keeping them around for? Greedy much?"

Looking to Violet, with real sympathy,

"Sorry Violet. I felt someone needed to speak out for the voices that can't be heard anymore - voices buried under a forceful personality and an overwhelming, ego-fueled drive."

"Kind of like Elijah's," he whispers to himself.

It is clear that while Priest has a great deal of compassion and friendship toward Violet, his opinion of James just keeps dropping and dropping.

Myfwany rubbed the bridge of her nose and patted the tabletop, just loud enough to make a brisk knocking noise.

"I think we're getting off topic here," she said. "The point is that I'm not comfortable with legislating what is and isn't an acceptable relationship. As long as James and the girls aren't causing a problem, I don't think we should say no. All we'll do is drive them all away, and that hurts the community in the end."

"That said, I -do- think we need to recognize that everyone needs to contribute. Resources are thin, especially if we attract more people. We need food. Water. Shelter. The basics. Everyone needs to help with those things, with no exceptions."

She didn't trust herself to look at Violet...it was hard sometimes to say things that might wound her or disappoint her to her face.

"I don't think this club really qualifies. Morale's important, but a club won't help morale when people are scattered in tents with only a fence between them and death. Working on the club shouldn't replace working on more critical infrastructure, at this point."

Gerald held up his hand. "A point that I didn't get across when I spoke before, but which the Doctor has brought up. I suggested limiting the number of partners, not the type of relationship. And I suggested it for the reason that Dr. Shattuck just gave. Polygamy hurts the community and morale.

"I would not object to a lesbian couple. They can have children. Gay couples could adopt the few orphans among us, or serve as 'community uncles'. All I object to is the pain that one man claiming five women is having on the young men of this community."

"Lets just forget about the club-thing, ok? I already changed my mind about it. It's not going to be a place for a selected few anymore. I want to open it up for the whole community - magic shows for the kids, live music for those who can play instruments, food and beverages for everyone. Jasmine convinced me that I should make the place more accessible and offer some of the space I have on the second floor to those that still live in tents.", Violet was struggling to keep her countenance in the light of what James just 'revealed'.

"All I am asking is to respect the little private space I have and need. We are already making changes to accomodate more people as we speak.", Violet looked at Myfwany pleadingly.

"I'm trying to contribute - I'm trying to share resources but there are some things I can't or to be more blunt - I won't give up.", Violet had stopped massaging James and instead dug her nails a bit into his shoulders. Should he dare to speak up again she'd dig them even deeper in the attempt to stop him.

If Jon couldn't listen to the whole of the statement there was little point in talking to him.

"Myfwany, you are comfortable legislating what is and isn't an acceptable relationship. That is a reasonable stance. That is until you take into account ins some relationships are based out of force, lies and manipulation."

Turning to James, and Violate.

"Please understand i have no ill will towards either of you. What I say may offend both of you and you have the right to be offended. James, I do not know what you can or cannot do. I know this, if someone is not able to say no they are not able to say yes. So let's put those words into context, if you have social power that bend the wills of others around you to want to be around you to the point they some how suffer when you are not around, you become their drug. You remove their power to say no.So they cannot truly say yes. Do you do this, I do not know.I would like to say no, but like I said I do not know."

Originally Posted By: Priest
In a very sad voice, much like a disappointed parent talking to a child,

"James, what does that have to say about Joanna, and Jill? I mean, if you are so super ... how can they hope to keep up with you? What are you keeping them around for? Greedy much?"
James let Priest finish then leaned forward and said, "How about, I gave my word. How about you Priest, do you walk away from your word whenever it's covenant?"

"What would it take for you to walk away from your crew? Would their..." (James waved his hand vaguely at the rest of the world) "...hurt feelings and disapproval be enough? How about it, are you going to give up some of your women very much against their will because there's an imbalance here?"

"That isn't the same James. Priest doesn't have a romantic relationship with anyone in his crew to my knowledge. The women there afre free to do as they wish with whomever they wish."

"The fact that you are in a romantic relationship with five women at once is what agitates most people James."

"James! Will you shut up now?!", Violet knew it was futile to try to hurt him but right now she wished she could. She released her hands from his shoulders and stepped forward trying to defend or protect James as it seemed.

"We're not getting anywhere if we keep blaming each other like this. James did gave his word to protect Jill and JoAnna long before this whole matter became an issue. If you all think no one has a choice around us then go ahead and ask the sisters and they'll give you an answer. Judge upon that.", she then turned around and slapped James face suddenly.

"You're going to apologize, James. I want to hear an apology, am I clear?", from the tone of her voice she was getting really upset and she was dead serious about it.

First he looks to the Doc,

"Sorry Myf, but I need to answer this."

"James, I'm not greed. One good woman is all I've ever wanted."

He he starts subconciously rubbing his wedding band lovingly.

"If I was greedy, I wouln'd dump my social problems on someone else's doorstep. I would no rock the boat and keep the real important issues from people's minds. I actually care if people other than me survive, are happy, and prosper. I don't go into cities for my health."

"If someone wanted to break up my crew, I would leave with them. Failing that, I would leave alone. I believe in personal freedom and I wouldn't hang out in a place were that isn't an option."

"Mind you, I've only heard a few complaints about my team. Its an even match of men and women. It's not my fault I don't sleep with any of them. I'm married. We aren't that kind of team."

Preist's tone has been level and calm, though some might pick up the tell tale sign of a father who has had to do this before.

James looked like he very much wanted to continue the argument... but V was right, this was pointless. He held up his hand and said, "Open mouth, insert foot. I'm sorry, this isn't the time or place" and then he sat down.

*Although this went pretty far in making sure that 'no' time is the time, and 'no' place is the place.*

"Oh, and for the record, James has four women." Bond stepped up to his Priest's shoulder, his blue eyes narrowing to at James' crass attempt at verbal deflection. The Brit took his gaze off the blind man long enough to smile a little at the Hoffanys, but his voice was pitched so that all could hear it. "Jasmine is a guest of Violet's, staying there as a friend. That's friend in the wholesome platonic way, not friend in the 'ahem, wink-wink friend' way. And that's not rumor, Gerald. That's fact."

He glanced up at Fox and Jules, then at the room at large, then back to James. "In short, Jasmine is not part of that man's harem."

Just classic.Really classic. Ask the man if they have free will. A fucking Chinese room test. Turing never had to deal with the real world test. Would someone who was beingmanipulated to point that you were sure they couldn't say no, if they could say no. May as well ask the man in the coma. That living doll, may have had a body but her power of reason was lacking. The whole point was that the people in question may or may not have theability to answer any question about James, without it basically be under duress. Should he waste his breath explaining that to her. Nope.

"Well, I have said my peace on running this town...And Priest, we should talk."

Violet nodded to Bond in agreement. "And maybe it's about time to discern rumors from facts. First, There is no such thing as a harem. Jennifer for example has her own quarters too and she is not engaged with any of us. I offered Jasmine a quarter at my place because I felt it was the right thing to do - it was her decision to move in after all, I just offered it. Second, Jill is lesbian and she is with me - James is with JoAnna and if having sex with me or him would be fatal we'd have had to bury the sisters a while ago so that's just non-sense. I'd appreciate if this sensitive matter would stay in this room.", she gave James an angry glare. It was obvious that she was struggling with her temper.

"I can't fight the rumors - it's a fact of human society. No matter what I do there'll be always someone who finds a reason to complain. Since James' pride is bigger than this room he'd never admit to have made a mistake so it's up to me to take responsibility.", she looked at the Captain and then to Priest.

"I feel his punishment is too small for what has happened, although I want to point out that it was never an intended murder. That's a whole different matter. James was a firefighter before the plague. He'll built a Fire Station and train people. I heard there was a fire in our absence and that could've gone worse. James should share his knowledge and contribute to the community - that's it. Thanks for listening.", she resumed her place behind James and rested her hands back on his shoulders. Violet tried to maintain her dignity and looked expectantly at the assembled people hoping that her words would be well received.

Click to reveal..
If I need to make another Charisma+Rapport roll let me know - or whatever is suitable in that situation. Thanks

Jules looked at Morgan, her face showing a little surprise. Then she smiled at Violet. "That's a great idea, Violet," Jules said, nodding. "That's just the kind of thing that we need around here."

She glanced around the room. "It's clear that we all have a very different idea of what we want from a new government," she said. "Personally, I prefer Priest's from what I've heard, if only because it's a trifectia of power, with each have definite duties. How does everyone else feel about it?"

"It could work," Myf said. Then she added, "Of course, just about anything COULD work. I think it needs some work though."

"For one, I think 'medicine' is too specific a term. Science or Knowledge might work better. For another, a council of three individuals is better than a tyranny of one, even a benelovent one, but I still think there has to be a means by which citizens can address the political body. A parliamentary body of some kind."

"And there's problems with making the 'medicine' position a meritocracy. Who's qualified to judge who has the most merit? If we had a lot of scientists, we might use a peer review system, but that obviously won't work right away."

"Finally, there needs to be a means by which any or all of the 'leaders' can be demoted and replaced if need be. Including the military one."

"I agree with Myfwany." Jon spoke up. "It was frustrating before the way the government would either causally ignore and disregard scientific understanding with regards to policy or blatantly hire so called "think-tanks" to drum up whatever "results" fit in line with the agenda of the moment. I'd often wished for a more intellectually inclined leader. Someone who could see the bigger picture."

"With the scientists from Roff, we have enough intellectuals, Jon," Jules said. "Add in the doctors, nurses and any other trained professionals we have, and that's a sizable block. Surely one of them could be selected as a leader." The woman's posture and voice asked for attention, and hinted at a certain amount of command.

"I think that the other two should have a say in removing the third," Jules added. "That builds in a certain amount of cooperation in the triumvirate. As for parliamentary body, I think we're small enough yet that we can deal with direct representation. Once we get bigger we'd need to revisit, of course."

Priest nods to Wesson acknowledging his request. He is curious what this strange newcomer wants to talk about.

When V finishes talking, Priest gets an almost "I told you so" expression on his face as he looks to Violet. She needs to take charge in that relationship. She is less blind to the reality they live in. James would rather burn the community than bend. Him being a fireman is almost prophetic. At least the man can have a real use for the community. They might even want to hijack a fire engine now.

"I can see James as Fire Chief," he remarks in an even, non-joking tone. "Since we are going to be building in wood and most of our heat is going to be coming from wood for the next few months, it should be a primary concern. The PR doesn't suck either to have a Fire Chief who can run into a burning building and save lives."

Priest is pleased that Jules has picked up his idea. It is rough and soon Myf is toying with it. He likes the whole scientific hierchy aspect of it. A thought occurs to him.

"Add teacher into the 'Medicine' category. Medicine chiefs were the source of passed on wisdom as well as things spiritual. All Sciences makes a good fix and adding educators into that mix will help with the pool to draw from."

"As Jules said, we have a largish number of scientists dumped on our doorstep. Let's get them invested in this community as well. We need them and we need to make a statement that this community is not going to slip into the night, but is going to fight for the future. We are not going to slip. We are going to recapture out lost technological heritage and build on it. I think that's a powerful statement."

"As for the War Chief ... I feel comfortalbe sleeping at night knowing that Fox has the codes. I'd be less so if it was someone else. I say we put in place a slightly skewed system now because of that reality. Let his successor be chosen by the militia and standing military when he resigns, but until then let's be smart enough not to try fixing something that ain't broke. That's my opinion anyway."

Dan nods. "Tribunals have worked in the past." He looks to Violet and nods once his eyes easily letting her know he agreed.

"A firehouse is a good idea, if I had to I could rig up one of the tanker trucks to serve as makeshift Firetruck until we could find a real one somewhere."

Jon nods somewhat vigorously at Priest's words. "I would love to meet with these scientists. Tell them about my lab, see if they would be interested in helping me investigate the cause of...all this.." he waves indicating the world at large and most likely the superhumans as well.

Fox had listened and barely restrained himself through the exchange of words between Wesson and Jon, but that was a matter of no importance. When James spoke he really struggled not to walk over and box his ears for being so ignorant as to speak that way about Violet. Zombie apocalypse or not you just didn't speak publicly about a woman that way. Not unless you had a death wish or wanted to ensure you'd never get laid again. Well, it was Violet's problem and her responsibility to handle. At least he'd finally shut up and seemed to realize he'd tasted foot.

"Triumvirate didn't work out so well for the Romans, but that was a different time and a different situation and those put in power then were ambitious and only out for themselves." He smiled at the room. "I would certainly accept the position as Military leader if that's the will of the people, and I think we've got some good candidates in this room for the Science position. My concern will be for the Political lead, and frankly I would rather fill that role in the community here. We have some good folk that have just as much military experience as I have, but I'm pretty sure no one knows the people of the refuge as well as I do, add to that, I feel responsible for the direction the refuge takes so if it's all the same to everyone I would recommend Dan for the position of War leader and put my own name in the hat for Political leader."

Click to reveal..

OOC: Fox has all three mega socials and has purchased backing 3 in the community. I had bought those for him to be the over all leader of the Refuge so if you guys don't mind that's where I would like him to be. Dan, Priest, Bond and I think Walker all have the qualifications to be Military leader just as much as Fox, but I don't think anyone has his political qualifications within the community. Having him relegated to a military only role kinda negates all the goals I've been working towards. Almost every purchase I've made since the game began has been toward the goal of being a better leader.

Dan considers his words carefully. Up till now he was free to come and go as he wished, his own personal quest his only real concern. He wanted revenge, pure and simple against whatever unleashed this hell. Thus far he'd found that this refuge did alright, and was well supplied. He got to kill tons of zombies, and now with all the strange happenings around it, it was looking to become very important.

Add to that they now had doctors, one specialized in genetics actually doing research on the virus. It was possible that if he stayed, Jon could provide him the answer to his question, "Who started this?" That did it.

Dan nodded once accepting Fox's nomination. "You have a very valid point. These are your people Morgan, IT should be you that leads them. If my serving as Military Leader will help you continue the prosperity of the community, then you can count on my continued presence, and my accpetance of that responsibility."

Violet slowly resumed massaging James' broad shoulders and relaxed visibly. Her proposal found approval by most of the present supers and at least for now the issue revolving around James and her was not the focus of the conversation.

"Are we going to vote on any ideas here? If that's the case I second what Dan just said and I'd feel much safer knowing that he is going to have a reason to stay here permanently as the Military Leader.", facing the Captain again she added, "And you'd have my vote for Political Leader, of course."

Still massaging James' shoulders her thoughts couldn't leg go of what James just had said - Wait till we get home, buster... Her face barely hinted at what was going on inside of her.

• 1 month later...

"For that," Hettie said to Max, "you'll need to assess what the people here want. Some are going to want to replicate the US government, some are going to want something new. If you want a true statement of popular sentiment, you'll need to expand beyond this room. Or you're right back where you started - people feeling they have no say.

"As for basic rights, I think that some of the basics tenants of the Geneva Convention, as well as some of the Bill of Rights, are appropriate. At the least, the right to life and procreation... treatment of prisoners... that kind of thing." Her rough smile creased into a gentle smile. "The basic things that separate us from animals."

Archived