Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - Table-Talk/OOC-Stuff

Joani

ok, thanks for the feedback guys. Makes me feel a lot better about the game.

If you have any issues please tell me, no matter if OOCly here or via PM. I'm trying to get everything covered as good as I can but sometimes details may slip my attention.

Lets go on then!

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sly is fine either way. It's also nice to hear that so many of you guys have connections with him. That's neat.

For myself OOC'ly I actually didn't expect the game to be all about saving the world from an alien invasion. I was thinking it would be more of a regular business as usual game with everyone just playing their characters in a modern earth setting. That being said, I am fine with the game as it is and have enjoyed the challenges it provides. I can't see turning this into a regular open world with the threat of alien conquest hanging over their heads. It would be insane to just go about their lives and not deal with the threat so unless we are going to scrap what has been done so far I think you are stuck with us for now Joani. smile Once the alien threat is resolved then we can move things to a more normal playing mode if people want to.

Because of his nature as a telepath, I'm afraid you will have to spend a lot of time giving me details about stuff Sly is going to ferret out. Sorry for the work it will cause.

Would it be okay for you guys if I pulled you all in the current scene? I'd like to assume that some time passed between Tim's research and checking out the place. This way I can get Ronnie and Travis back on line with the rest of you.

You'd be all in a conference room with a large table and a holographic display of Eve. The screen with Tim's assembled data is displayed in 3D in place of Eve's portrait.

Any objections?

Hey guys.

Starting on Thursday, August 6th, I will be leaving for my annual drill with my Army reserve unit. I will be return the 28th of August and unless I manage to get my hands on a computer with internet service, I will be unable to post.

ST's: please take control of my characters until I return or announce I have access to a puter.

Thanks- B

Well, Kevin's just going to be helping at hopitals (public and military) and studying the info he's requested. Anything else he'll deal with as it happens, but that's all he's got planned.

He's only staying a week because the Queen asked him to directly.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Travis Kincaid
Sure kid, that's all it was. Travis shrugged, "I jus' got a thought-o-gram from Morgan, seems maybe he wants to help me out with the ol' swiss cheese head thing. Might need to give this little adventure a twenty-four hour pass and see what he can do to plug up the holes in my head."

I'd appreciate if you went that road instead of spearheading an attack vs. the aliens.

If you need me to update you on that area tell me. As soon as Sly starts his scanning I'd do my part.

Oh and I'm back from my short vacation wink

I'm still having the impression that the general state of game is unsatisfying. It seems to me that I've taken a wrong step after the events of chapter 3s and 4s and have somehow taken a direction none of you like or have expected and have trouble dealing with.

Currently I'm thinking about cutting off the story thread and make a slight restart trying to avoid retconning as much as possible and then try to focus on stuff you guys like to do. My plot doesn't mesh well with most of the PCs is the resumé I take.

I know I took a few days off (RL is still more important) but that shouldn't have stopped you from moving on or posting some more. There is a general lack of communication that I miss (except for a few players that constantly give feedback).

Please tell me what you want from this game because I'm losing the necessary vision and drive to go on. I had huge ideas but it seems they suck.

Personally, I'm fine with what's happening to Kevin. I wish that he were back with the group, but that's going to happen soon enough. In the mean time, there's not really a whole lot that you can do with me until the main thread catches back up.

I'm fine with the game...

The short version: I don't know what you expect from me, or the PC's, or the game. I don't know what to do. Or why.

And by that I don't mean I don't get the basic framework of the setting. I do. I just don't know what to do with it, and I don't have a clear vision of your vision for the game.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game at all, and I'd love to see it work. I just have no feel at all for what comes next.

Click to reveal.. (The Long Version)
The feeling I get, and I want to be clear that this is a 'feeling,' not a thoroughly thought out opinion, is that you, the GM, and we, the players, are very out of sync. Games have a kind of rhythm between action and RP; a sine wave that crests with action-packed crescendos, and troughs with RP-laden denouements. But when the players try to RP while the GM is doing action...and then want action when the GM is giving downtime, the game doesn't go anywhere.

Somewhere along the way, we got out of sync. We had our action scene when we were trying to get to know each other and get into the setting and so on...and now you're giving us time to do that, and we're all sitting around waiting for something to do. smile

What does this mean? Well, first of all, it doesn't mean your ideas suck, Joani. This kind of thing happens all the time, even in face to face gaming.

There's a few other issues too...there's some confusion, for example, in the game tone. Is this a flat out Independence Day rock'em'sock'em brawl against the Alien? Or are we expected to act more subtly? Is this a go your own way, everyone gets their own thread if necessary parallel line story like In The Beginning, or are we narratively obliged to work together?

And of course, a long GM absence and the loss of a PC just pours lemon juice on those cuts.

Speaking strictly for myself, I am starving for info. For example, we never found out what happened at the end of Chapter 3. I had Juno ask and ask and ask...I can only assume now that for some reason it's being covered up. We're confronted with the RESULTS of what happened, but we don't know how our efforts played out. That takes a lot of the fun out. Imagine playing, say, a video game in which you complete a long and difficult quest. The success of which grants a cutscene that shows your character in a suspenseful scene, just about to finish the last crucial action...and then it cuts away to three months later, where he's briefed on how well it all went.

I wanted to see the ball of fire, you know? I wanted some kind of 'reward' for it all. Not an in-character reward like exp or money or a swank new pad...but a narrative reward. That last note in the chord that brings it all together and says (metaphorically of course) "Ya done good, boys."

So now there's this nagging sense that it's not over. Like, I keep thinking that we all really got captured, and this is the Matrix-esque mental construct we're all trapped in, being fed stories of how awesome we are and getting all our needs met to make sure we don't want to break out. I don't really think that's the case, but I can't help feeling that way because we never really had closure.

Here's my opinion, after giving it a bit of thought.

The game has a lot of potential, Jodie. The biggest complications I've seen so far are a couple of small details about how the game was instigated that I believe have caused a ripple effect and complicated the game a bit for you, and for us.

First of all, I don't see what was really accomplished by making the game story/general theme secret from the beginning. People design characters around the kind of game they're planning to play, because certain personalities fit certain kinds of games and situations. You told us that you wanted us to create super-humans (heroes), and you told us that any powers we had were kind of secret. But we had no concept of the genre we were going to be playing in. I had no idea this was going to be an "alien invasion" game, and had I known that, I may not have created the kind of character I did, because I don't know how well it suits the mood. I'm not saying her powers aren't appropriate, I just.. don't know if the "Wonder Twins" (as people have taken to calling us on occasion) is the correct theme for this type of game.

Really, the biggest obstacle I've seen is a bit of character conflict. The personalities of some of the characters don't seem to mesh well, and that causes some complications too. Of course that type of thing happens in lots of situations, I'm not saying that character conflict is bad, but.. there seems to be a lot of it in this game. I'm not entirely sure how we should deal with that, but I would imagine it needs to be dealt with somehow, even if it involves splitting the party (we are quite large, after all), into separate groups doing separate things. That may be the most effective option, and let people go with whom they feel they'll be able to interact with well.

To be perfectly blunt with you - and please don't take this personally, any of what I've said - if I had known this was gonna be an Independence Day style, shoot-em-up alien invasion type game, I'm not sure I would have signed up. It's not my normal type of game. I certainly wouldn't have made such a passive character.. passive characters don't make good action hero stars. That's not to say I'm not ready and willing to hang on and give it a chance - I am. I really like Savannah, and would love to continue. But those are some of the issues that I've noticed, and why I think the game is experiencing some complications.

Once again, this is all meant with the utmost respect, hon. But you asked for my opinion, so there it is. I hope we can do something to work this out, so that you can tell the story you want to tell.

Apologies for those who are waiting on me. The last couple of weeks have been kinda rough with what they've done with my work schedule. Of course that's no excuse for keeping you guys waiting. I'm working on getting caught up right now.

As for the game, I'm pretty much in complete agreement with Jaz on what she said. I like Sly, but if I had known what we were facing I might have built him differently. That said, I still think he is a good character for the game and I like where I'm going with him. There is a lot of potential for intrigue with a character like him, but most of that is in the realm of earthly politics. For Sly the alien thing is something to get out of the way in order to get to the more interesting stuff like ferreting out the Mutant Division and ensuring that the virus is cured.

First of all - thanks for your open words and I'm not offended in any way. I asked for feedback and I knew it wouldn't be all good.

Resulting from what Jas said - I need to know from you and Mala if you want to go on or not. A half yes is nothing I like to hear so I kindly ask you to tell me if you want to stay in this game or not.

I can't say much about the general theme of the game because it has more layers than the obvious 'alien invasion'. I planned the game to have an epic scale and this is just the top of the iceberg (or how the saying goes).

Anyway - back to topic. So far it is the same scene - I'd like to handle the Travis-issue first because it's part of the plot/story and then you guys can have your own thread and explore the twins request.

Once we've got that covered I can go on with the next chapter and hopefully set the game back on track.

I would like to continue playing and see what happens with this. I think right now the game has two major issues: confusion and disconnect between the players and the GM on what to be doing right now (with some lag also on being able to do it that is just bad timing for people in life and nothing on anyone in specific), and some major character personality conflicts that have seriously stunted the group's ability to, well, be a group. The second is making the game stutter right now as we try to act like one and move forward in what seems to be the plot; we keep tripping over(or snapping at) each other ICly and haven't gotten to the split up/time jump/go do some fics with each other in small groups and get the dynamics worked out. I think if we can get to that point and then come back to the major game plots/themes, things will run more smoothly.

I know for Simon/Siegfried, just getting to actually know at least one other person here besides his sister that he feels he can trust will do wonders for his get-up-and-go meter. I've been putting him out there more (even if it is just worry over accidentally blowing up the moon with a giant spaceship smile ) and I think as the game scenes continues and he gets to know people, he will become more active and more interested in saving the world (it has people he likes on it, after all. Not to mention McDonald's).

We've had a bumpy start. It happens. The board is in one of it's slower posting spots during the year, and that happens too. If you're willing to stick with us, Joani, and everyone else is willing to get through the 'hey, do I like you or do I think you're an ass, and what do I really want to be doing right now' phase, we'll be fine and the game will find it's groove. It just takes a little longer with this many players and with the strong characters that we've all created. Butting heads, making friends, and saving the world. Just another day on N!Prime. smile

So that's my take.

I'm still enjoying things. I didn't set out to make Travis a pain but various IC issues early on put him on poor footing with more than a few in the group. Luckily I don't think any of the players take offense on an OOCly basis (if so please let me know). Travis is brash and cocksure but he'll eventually learn he needs help from more than just Ronnie, it's just going to take a little while wink

Originally Posted By: Simon Tanner
I would like to continue playing and see what happens with this. I think right now the game has two major issues: confusion and disconnect between the players and the GM on what to be doing right now (with some lag also on being able to do it that is just bad timing for people in life and nothing on anyone in specific), and some major character personality conflicts that have seriously stunted the group's ability to, well, be a group. The second is making the game stutter right now as we try to act like one and move forward in what seems to be the plot; we keep tripping over(or snapping at) each other ICly and haven't gotten to the split up/time jump/go do some fics with each other in small groups and get the dynamics worked out. I think if we can get to that point and then come back to the major game plots/themes, things will run more smoothly.

I know for Simon/Siegfried, just getting to actually know at least one other person here besides his sister that he feels he can trust will do wonders for his get-up-and-go meter. I've been putting him out there more (even if it is just worry over accidentally blowing up the moon with a giant spaceship smile ) and I think as the game scenes continues and he gets to know people, he will become more active and more interested in saving the world (it has people he likes on it, after all. Not to mention McDonald's).

We've had a bumpy start. It happens. The board is in one of it's slower posting spots during the year, and that happens too. If you're willing to stick with us, Joani, and everyone else is willing to get through the 'hey, do I like you or do I think you're an ass, and what do I really want to be doing right now' phase, we'll be fine and the game will find it's groove. It just takes a little longer with this many players and with the strong characters that we've all created. Butting heads, making friends, and saving the world. Just another day on N!Prime. smile

So that's my take.

Ditto. Thanks sis.

ok guys - I'm working on two larger updates for FI and will open the next chapter. Hopefully we'll get things back on track for you and make the story a bit more 'palpable'.

I kindly ask you not to post until the new threads are up. Thank you.

I know I'm not fully done with all updates- There'll be a Chapter 6.1 of course which will be the direct follow up to 5.1

I had to separate the others briefly but 6.1 and 6.2 happen at the same time.

Kevin - don't worry, I haven't forgotten about you wink

XP rewards will be updated by the end of this week.

Archived