Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - Table-Talk/OOC-Stuff

Joani

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys and gals - I will be back to work on monday and can pick up my usual posting routine by then. I promise to update you all on monday. I still need the weekend for some personal stuff and won't be online much.

On the good side of things - just to let you all know wink - The reasons for my RL-Issues are all resolved positively which is a huge success for me. I needed the last days to focus on that subject hence my 'slow' posting. I'm sure I'll be back to 'normality' on monday.

See you then

yours truly

J.

Sorry for the absence guys, RL's been tough. We moved, my grandmother passed, my comp had to be sent to the shop (which is saying a lot seeing as how I built it), and everything else that makes up life.

Hopefully I'll be back more... I hope.

Ok - Chapters 3 are finished - XP are rewarded on the tracker. I will look into the fics a bit later and add rewards for those on the fly.

I will open Chapter 4 which will focus on the aftermath of Chapters 3 - that chapter is supposed to provide you with some downtime and decisionmaking on your next steps. Feel free to exchange thoughts etc. before jumping right into action again.

It is fine if you split up again into smaller groups and I can imagine that it makes sense in some cases so I'm not reluctant to get you guys seperated. There is a mainplot running in the background which you don't HAVE to chase :P. Of course I'd be flattered if you did.

Anyway - I hope you've been enjoying yourselves so far. I will now open Chapter 4. If you have any questions or suggestions - please post here. Thank you.

Hello Girls and Boys,

I'm considering converting FI into M&M 2nd ed.

I'd like to get some feedback from you guys on that topic. This will not affect in any way how the game will proceed so don't worry that a "yay" or "nay" could have a negative influence on my motivation.

My personal preference would be favouring M&M 2nd ed since I believe it fits better into the kind of story/game I want to tell. (And the system is superior in many ways)

Feel free to debate.

I have never played M&M nor am I familiar with the game. In fact, I know nothing of the setting or the system.

I don't know if I can play a game in which the system and rules are a complete mystery. (other than being about Mutants and Masterminds) Is it D20? How are characters made? How do powers work? What are the rules? What are the powers?

I don't have the time or money to buy gaming resources or learn a new game system.

I'm reluctant to change, although I do have some vague familiarity with the M&M system I'm in no way comfortable with it let alone expert. I have my doubts as to how well some of the characters would convert across and how you would represent the Virus at all, as there is no powerpoints etc to use powers.

Or perhaps thats the point, you don't like us using extra QP or simply dropping a Stat point to get around the Virus and would prefer us to be on the edge of death whenever we use our powers?

I think there are various ways to represent how the Virus works using the M&M System - I haven't settled on one option yet.

Most important aspect is the progression of Powers/Powerlevel once the game has advanced a bit more. Since I am looking to reach some kind of "epic" level sometime in the future (near or not so near) I'm afrad that the Aberrant System will fail sooner or later in keeping things "fair" and "balanced" because of the known issues with the system.

M&M is more balanced in general - that's part of my reasons I asked for your feedback.

Just to make sure - I won't change game system if it means losing Players. I won't force this, I'm just curious how well it would be received and if we can give it a shot. I don't want to cause more trouble or problems because of that - in the end it's just a system and I'm focusing more on the story and less on the mechanics.

I personally see nothing wrong with switching to M&M. It's pretty easy to learn; as a player, you can literally just be told what to do by the ST - that's usually something like, "Roll 1d20, add the roll to X." However, I get not wanting to switch systems mid-game. I know that a lot of people come here to play Aberrant.

I think it would work for the game better than Aberrant, but M&M works better for just about everything, including Aberrant. Tim, despite the name, the game is about more than mutants and masterminds; it's actually about more than superpowered people. It's a pretty versatile game; Mike and I are running superhero games with it, but Jim's running Teenage Mutant Ninja Whatevers with it. There's a fantasy supplement for it.

In short, I'd support a move (May's weirdness could be handled with several Alternate Forms SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier than the way we've cobbled it together in Abby), but not at the cost of other players. It is just a game, after all, and fun comes first.

If you want to move the game to "Epic" levels, I guess M&M would most likely be better, but I am leary of changing systems otherwise.

As for the virus, simply have it that if you use more than 2/3rs your power, you run the risk of taking damage. Make it a standard difficulty 10 and if you fail it by more than five you risk a fortitude roll at the end of combat for lethal damage (along with being stunned and bruised right now).

My views on Aberrant are well documented.

I tolerate it because that's what people are running.

Switching would be welcome to me, but I have a policy of not making an issue of that sort of thing. I'm fine with Aberrant, and I'm sure we can make it work. M&M is delightful, and I'm sure we can work with that too.

So it comes to aesthetics of the players.

Whatever decision we make, it should be unanimous though.

I could deal with a switch to M&M, but I would request that if you're planning to do that, since I'm not familiar at all with the system, you let us know in advance so we can have time to access the books in some way or another, learn how the rules work, and give us time to transfer our characters over.

I don't know M&M so I can't give an opinion, other than to say it would kind of be a pain to transfer the characters at this point, but I'll take your word for it if you decide to do it because it's that much better. Just.. give us a set time for it.

I personally have the M&M .pdf, (ST Edit: Sorry, Kevin I had to remove this part of your post unless we violate site policies). That being said, I've looked through the powers before, and I don't like the way their healing works compared to Abby; I haven't checked their Invul or FF.

All that said, I would like my vote to count as an abstain. I'll work with whatever system everybody chooses, and though I prefer Abby, I don't want to be the difference between switching and not.

Sorry, SG - I had to edit/delete one specific part of your post. I made the same mistake somewhere else on the board and learned my lesson that way.

In case any of you lack the books you can buy those legally as pdfs on drivethru.com (is the URL right?). If you have trouble how to do that drop me a PM and I walk you through (or hit me in chat).

Thanks a lot and don't take this personally SG - I'm just following site policies and we don't want Chosen to get into trouble.

Archived