Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): In the Shadows of the City - Chapter 1: The First Gathering

Justin OOC

After another run-in with a pack of lesser hounds, the group makes it to the Shrine. Lindh and Kage handle them quickly. The five of them make their way to the shrine without further incident and finally everyone was gathered at the Shrine.

((OOC Everyone is now free to interact with everyone else as you are all finally in the same place. Monday night I will move things forward.)))

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skye was clinging to her mother, and her mother to her, when they passed the threshold of the shrine. With a soft sob, Aalis sank to her knees, taking Skye with her. "What is going on?" she asked her daughter in German. "What is going on?"

"I don't know," Skye said again, more afraid as she watched her mother breaking down. But she forced herself to toughen up. "Come on, Mother, let's get you to bed." Hiding tears of exhaustion and fear, Skye helped her mother deeper into the temple.

Keiko beams at the newcomers and bows politely.

"I'm sorry, I didn't make anything explode."

She looks at Kaori as she drags her grandfather off and says, "But...I can...all right go ahead and settle in. I'll come along to..."

Just then Jim arrives and asks his questions.

"Well, the shrine itself has basins for cleansing and various images of gods and so on. We do ask that visitors refrain from entering the area of the central altar as only priests are allowed in the sanctum. Besides that, you're welcome to go where you like. My name is Imahara Keiko, and I'm the head priest's daughter. If you wish, you can go to the house...it's there, just over the hill...and we'll be serving some food soon."

She paused, a thoughtful dimple appearing in her forehead. "Um. I know you probably have a lot of questions about what's going on. The priests will explain as soon as they can."

With that, she inhaled and then asked, "Are any of you hurt? If not, I need to see to that girl's grandfather."

Ken kept close to Lindh, worrying over her. When the got to the temple, he found her a place, despite her protestations, to lay down then he went looking for someone in the temple staff. He barely recognized Keiko when he saw her, so resplendant in her robes was she.

"Keiko," he asked desperately then bowed. "Thank you for this sanctuary. My servant has been wounded. Are there bandages and medicines you can provide for her?"

He seemed to remain oblivious to the bleeding claw marks that were soaking his school uniform. Then he stumbled and put the back of his hand against his head.

"Fogive me," he mumbled. "I don't feel so well."

Jim spots the blood on Ken's shirt and puts an arm out to the young man. "Shit Ken, you've been hurt. Oh, sorry Keiko."

Glancing at Kaori and with some reluctance he continues, "My sword's name is Holy Trust and as well as apparently being quite effective against these creatures, it has healing properties. Unfortunately the only way I know of activating it is to stab the patient in the chest! It doesn't hurt them [he adds quickly], in fact I don't think it can hurt people at all, look."

So saying Jim steps away from the others and draws Holy Trust and then cuts his left hand off, or at least he should have done, instead the blade just passes through the flesh and bone with no effect!

She was awake, just watching and resting as everyone arrived. trying to find what solace they could in the companionship of their classmates. Looking over she saw her grandfather safely resting. Despite Kazuo being, well, himself, he was surprisingly gentle with her weakened family member and she made sure to make a mental note to thank him properly. While they may never have never of gotten along in the past it seemed Fate had pulled him, along with several others into her life, and they'd need to rely on each other in order to survive this... nightmare.

She rolled her eyes as Jim spoke about Holy Trust. Well, at least he can be taught. she thought silently, reflecting on how she almost killed him when he plunged it into Master Aoyama's chest with hardly a warning. Yet I know what Grandfather would say: Tell me Kaori, who was more foolish? Jim for simply doing what he knew he could do, or you for impulsively attacking and not trusting your ally?

She knew the answer, just stubbornly chose to ignore it. The canon of her art taught that one should always act without thought, only purpose. Thinking too much can cloud ones thoughts and make them impure. The heart and the soul would always be there to guide one through life, they just needed to teach their body to relax and let those energies work for them instead of against them.

In battle Kaori was nothing like unto a demon herself in her elegant, powerful sword art. Outside conflict, outside the comfort of her Dojo and The Way... Kaori was lost, her social life was non existent and her heart closed to the simply ways of friends and companionship.

Her mind had wandered too far. As if insulted (which was timed perfectly with Jim's demonstration) she stood up, appearing weak still and worn out, she walked to her grandfather and helped him to his feet. "Come, Grandfather. We need to get you to a bed and away from all this strangeness."

Seeing the magic of Jim's blade, he grabbed the larger student's arm and started pulling him toward Lindh.

"Lindh's been hurt worse. I'll live, but you have to heal her!"

With some futility, Ken began dragging Jim toward his retainer right up until the moment he stumbled and nearly fell over.

"Ow ... this hurts more now that I'm winding down."

Shit I'm glad I was right that it wouldn't hurt what it was made to heal!

He turns to Kaori, "Kaori, I'm sorry that I didn't have time to explain so fully before I used it on your Grandfather, but with my, admittedly limited, medical training it seemed he was in urgent need of treatment from the way he collapsed."

Turning back to Ken, "So do you want to give it a try? I don't know whether or not it will work on your angel or servant or whatever she is."

Kazuo helped the weak old man to the spot that Kaori indicated and set him down slowly and carefully, then he stood up and made a hasty yet orderly retreat. In his experience, girls in general were dangerous when they got emotional, but this wasn't just some random girl, this was Kaori! Things could take a sudden downhill turn any second now and he didn't want to be in her proximity when that happened.

He ambled his way over towards the still-forming cluster of Kiyamori students just as Jim was finishing up his talk about starting a fire. Kazuo didn't know why the guy wanted to start a fire (they were in the middle of a frickin' city, after all), but he didn't really worry about it either, because Jim's comment about smoking made him realize just how much he could go for a cigarette right about now. So as a way of simultaneously answering and ignoring Jim's question, Kazuo fished a battered-looking pack of Luckies and a Zippo out of his pocket. From out of the pack he pulled out a cigarette that was in miraculously good condition, considering all the rough-housing Kazuo'd been involved in during the past hour or so, and promptly lit the sucker up. Ahhh, that was good!

He studiously ignored Skye as she stumbled in - looking at least as emotional as Kaori (what was it with girls, anyway?) - supporting someone whom he could only assume was her mother. Ever since their "experience" a few months back, he hadn't been sure what sort of ground the two of them stood on, but it was probably unstable.

Right about then pyro-boy decided to cut his fucking hand off, provoking Kazuo into nearly swallowing his cigarette! He flung the hateful thing to the ground and stomped on it spitefully - that oughtta teach it a lesson! His eyes welling with tears and his lungs desperately trying to hack up a breath-full of unexpected smoke, it took Kazuo a few seconds before he realized that the crazy gaigin's hand was still there! What the hell?!

Right about then was when it hit Kazuo that, in the course of a single evening, he'd gone from being a perfectly normal Menace to Society to being surrounded by bonafied Oni from hell and a bunch of crazy school kids with magical weapons.

It was time for another cigarette.

On seeing Ken stumble, Keiko moved forward, brushing past the other students there and kneeling beside the injured boy.

"Don't worry," she says, "The weakening of the Seal lets more than just oni touch the world again."

She grasps her pendant in her left hand, and touches Ken with her right. Light squeezes out between the fingers around the jewelry, first dimly...then brightly enough to shine through her flesh and show the shadows of the bones within.

"Amateratsu kami-sama," she breathes in a prayer. "Please renew his flesh and spirit."

She let go of the amulet then, and light gushed out of it like a searchlight onto Ken. It blinded and seared him, shining not just against his skin but into him, through him. Then it was fading, and gone. He wasn't blind, nor in pain...and even the pain of the injuries he'd had was gone.

The gashes of unnatural claws had not just scabbed over, but healed with fresh new skin, slightly paler than the skin around it because it hadn't yet felt any sunlight.

Keiko smiled at him and patted his shoulder, then stood up and went to Lindh. To the angelic creature she bowed deeply indeed.

"You bring great honor to our shrine kami. Please, let me share what gifts we have to mend the body you have taken."

(healing up to 50pts of damage to Ken and Lindh. It also heals things like crippling if there is any...)

"Ugh ... Thanks you. Why thank you, Keiko-san." Ken bows again and while he flinches slightly, he catches himself as his pain is now gone. He still looks remarkably drained though, as if something was draining his inner light out of him. Still, he smiles.

Looking to Lindh,

"We need to know what is going on out there. Can you fly about safely and report back what is going on?"

One hand's fingers idely play with the tears in his uniform while he talks. He remains a white knuckle hold on his briefcase with the other. Normally pristine in appearence, it now looks worse for wear and battered.

There were a lot of people here, and many from her school. Skye didn't know what that meant, if anything. She was too tired, too worn out and too busy finding a place for her mother. When she heard the strange miko mention the house over the hill, she started to guide her mother there. She wasn't the only one headed that way, and as she saw Kaori moving along, she moved a little closer to her.

"Kaori, I'm sorry to see your grandfather was hurt," Skye said. "If I can help... and I'm sure once my mother feels better, she will be willing to help, too." Skye hoped her mother would feel better soon. This weak woman clinging to her and muttering in German was scary. It was, in its own way, scarier than the oni. At least she knew what to do with the demons. Her mother acting so lost and broken was an unknown factor, one which Skye wasn't sure how to handle.

Kaori scowled at Jim. No sooner did he address her than he turned his back. His consistent rudeness and foolish antics was serving to nothing more than irritate the young girl even more. "Do not bother addressing me if you only intend on looking away. While I have no desire to speak with you James McAllister, I have even less of an inclination to speak to your back."

She spoke aloud, but certainly not loud enough to interfere with the on going display of 'who-could-do-what'.

As Skye approached her Kaori, focused more on carrying her grandfather than anything else, didn't turn to notice the german girl's approach. Kaori was cold, everyone knew this, so it wasn't much less than Skye expected.

Originally Posted By: Skye
"Kaori, I'm sorry to see your grandfather was hurt," Skye said. "If I can help... and I'm sure once my mother feels better, she will be willing to help, too."

She stopped. She disguised it as trying to get a better hold on her Master, but Skye knew that her words had tossed the beautiful young Kensi off her guard.

"Thank you, Skye." She didn't really know the blond girl, but names around their school were pretty easy to file away. "Take heart. We are all we have right now, and as long as I draw breath no more of our families will be hurt by these... creatures."

She looked to Skye now, and in her eyes was a kind warmth she didn't think the sword maiden was capable of expressing. "If you are prepared to help in any way you can, then I am as well. We'll get through this."

"There are demons of the sky as well as on the ground," Keiko reminds Ken. "I was asked to make sure anyone who came to the shrine stayed here."

She bowed to Lindh again.

"Of course, you may do as you please, kami. Just be careful. Your body will need time before I can heal you again, even focused through the Eye."

"Excuse me please, I should see to the older man."

She turns and whisks off at a brisk jog to catch up with Kaori and her grandfather.

As far as Jo could tell, everyone suddenly started to scatter in a bizarre parade of tense smiles, teary eyes, and general melodrama. For once, no one even seemed to notice her, which only served to heighten her sense of alienation by these crazy Japanese kids.

Not, she conceded, that that's completely a bad thing. That guy was going to cut his hand off! Geez.

Under her breath, the tall American muttered, "Yeah, sure. Let's all wander off, without explanation, when there are psycho demon dogs who... Hello!... breathe fire wandering around. Yeah, splitting up. Great idea, guys!" She threw her arms up in exasperation, allowing them to fall heavily to her sides. "Hey, I've got one! Let's wander around with some flashlights in the dark, or take showers for no apparent reason, or have pre-marital sex! That always seems to work out just fine!" The last was half-shouted as she kicked another stone from underfoot. "Don't you guys ever watch horror movies?! Ugh!"

Skye shivered a little at the intensity in Kaori's gaze. The other girl was determined to go back out and fight those things again, and all Skye wanted to do was run from them. "I... I don't know if... I'm not you, Saori. I'm no warrior," Skye admitted softly. "I've got the fans, but everything I've done is them. This is a big mistake. I don't belong here."

And she believed that. Her performance today was a fluke. It wouldn't last. The magic fans would realize they'd made a mistake and find someone else to enchant.

The miko caught up with them, and Skye quickly explained that her mother was fine, and that Kaori's grandfather needed help. Skye was pretty sure that magic couldn't fix what was wrong with her mother.

Behind them, the mannish American girl began to rant in English. There was another student who didn't know her place.

Jim replies to Jo in English.

"Yep, I watch the occassional horror movie, but in them the people aren't wondering off within the confines of holy ground that blocks the creatures attacking them. [He waves at the hellhounds and other things outside the shrine grounds.] And generally they don't show the range of weird abilities or items that we seem to have amongst this group."

"I've seen you around the school, but haven't been introduced. I'm James McAllister, and no I don't normally try to cut my hands off, but it seemed the best way of getting a point across."

"Jo March," she replied, somewhat brusquely. "And just how, exactly, do you know they're 'blocked' by this whole 'holy ground' thing, hmm? Or where the boundaries of his 'holy ground' are? Or how strong they are? How do you know they're not just keeping an eye on us, or even trapping us here? For all we know, they're just waiting on us to relax and go to sleep." Her expression was clearly skeptical; everyone else seemed to have simply accepted the circumstances, insane as they were, but none of it actually made sense to her. Too many questions, and too few answers, she realized, were putting her in a very unpleasant frame of mind.

"Look," she sighed, shoving hands once more into pockets and shrugging her narrow shoulders apologetically. "I don't know what you're talking about as far as 'weird abilities or items,' but I'll assume you've seen some strange stuff tonight. My point is, there's no rhyme or reason to it! Everyone's just running off on their own, with no plan, no direction, nothing!" She shook her head in frustration, sandy-blonde hair falling into her eyes. "There are already people dead," she continued, more softly. "People seriously hurt. Like that girl's grandfather. Unless we stop acting like a herd of panicked sheep, it's only going to get worse."

"I... I don't know if... I'm not you, Saori. I'm no warrior," Skye admitted softly. "I've got the fans, but everything I've done is them. This is a big mistake. I don't belong here."

Kaori listened intently and he heart sank to hear the way Skye doubted herself. She reminded her of... herself. Lately it was Kaori who was the one thinking that she was better off giving up her art for better things, feminine things. He father was relentless in his belittling attacks against her and her recent defeat to him only helped to reinforce her own lack of self worth.

So her next words came as a shock to her.

"Were you not meant to be here than you would not be here, Skye." She did not look at Skye, only spoke. "Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average person. We make ourselves into one or the other."

"Your compassion and concern for your mother proves you have the spirit to be a fine warrior. Putting others above yourself is usually a difficult lesson to learn. You were wise to consider her, even in middle of all that has happened. It shows your mind remains focused on what is important to you."

She smiled, not at Skye, but in general. Her eyes reamined locked on the stones at their feet as she continued to walk on to the house.

"True they could just be waiting there for us, but I haven't seen any other signs of intelligence from the Hellhounds at least. When they attacked us they seemed pretty determined to get us despite the losses they took in even getting close. So I doubt they wouldn't attack if they could."

Jim points over at Keiko.

"I guess you don't speak Japanese? Keiko over there, the one that healed up Ken's wound and some of those on his angel or whatever it is. She said that her father is the head priest and that the priests were going to talk to us about all this. Most of those who have gone off are doing so to see to sick or injured relatives like you mentioned."

"I get the feeling that whoever is behind the creatures has a reason for it all, if only to kill humans. Hopefully the priests can tell us more, and the sooner the better."

Originally Posted By: Rorx
"I get the feeling that whoever is behind the creatures has a reason for it all, if only to kill humans. Hopefully the priests can tell us more, and the sooner the better."

Although Jo nodded reasonably during most of the rest of his speech, that last bit earned Jim a stern narrowing of her eyes as her hands clenched into fists. She didn't know who this guy thought he was, but if he had information he wasn't sharing...

"'Whoever is behind the creatures'? Dude, what are you talking about? A bunch of freaky demon-dogs run around Tokyo, slaughtering people at random, and all of a sudden you're Nick flippin' Fury? You know something we don't? 'Cause so help me, this has been the single-most fucked up night of my life, and if you're talking out your ass, you're gonna need that glowy sword of yours to fix the mudhole I'm about to stomp in it!"

Ken was tagging along behind the others, keeping Lindh close to him. Something suddenly occured to him. Lindh had named one type of the monsters to him.

"Ummm ... guys. Why don't we ask Lindh what they are and see if she knows why they are here. She's been around ... well, a long time. She might be able to shed some light on all that has been happening to the city. Besides, like me, she heard this voice right before we were first attack - someone talking about destiny and power."

Looking at Lindh, he gets a better idea.

"Better yet, why not gather everyone together and have you explain it."

Jim looks around to see where Kaori is before he whispers to Jo.

"At Kaori's family dojo somethings had been in a killed most everyone, but they had left her grandfather alive and apparently taken her parents. When we went in her grandfather looked straight at her, despite now being blind, which he wasn't the other day, and spouted some stuff like he was someone else. Said something about coming alone to the top of the city to fight him for who would wield her sword, because it belonged to him, and something about her family being there. When the message finished Master Aoyama keeled over."

In a more normal tone he continues, "That's why I think there is someone or something bigger or smarter behind this lot. I've also got a damn good memory by the way."

Keiko puts her hands on Kaori's grandfather, pausing only to give Kaori herself a reassuring smile.

She doesn't pray or incant this time though, nor grab the amulet. Clear white light shines from the palms of her hands, just visible where her skin meets his.

"That should help his wounds, but he...a priest should look at him too, to make sure he is spiritually healthy."

Keiko stands up. "He will be fine though. This is a place of healing."

She's distracted then by the commotion a little ways away, where another knot of students are speaking, though she doesn't quite grasp what they're saying.

"Is that English?"

"I... thank you," Skye said, but she was far from convinced. What would Kaori say if she knew that Skye had wanted her mother here, that it was less concern for another and more her own selfish desire to have her here.

But Skye didn't want to admit it, and anyway, there was the house. Skye, being less burdened than Kaori, hurried to the door and opened it for her, sliding the bamboo door aside. The room inside was simple and unfurnished, but after looking in a closet, Skye found rolled futon matresses. She got them out and spread a couple on the floor. "Kaori, will this be ok for your grandfather?"

Originally Posted By: James
Jim looks around to see where Kaori is before he whispers to Jo.
"At Kaori's family dojo somethings had been in a killed most everyone, but they had left her grandfather alive and apparently taken her parents. When we went in her grandfather looked straight at her, despite now being blind, which he wasn't the other day, and spouted some stuff like he was someone else. Said something about coming alone to the top of the city to fight him for who would wield her sword, because it belonged to him, and something about her family being there. When the message finished Master Aoyama keeled over."

In a more normal tone he continues, "That's why I think there is someone or something bigger or smarter behind this lot. I've also got a damn good memory by the way."
"Che! Yer tellin' us you think some asshole's got an army of demons attacking the city, and his big plan is to fight some neurotic, man-hating, sword-wielding teenager 'on top of the city' - whatever the hell that means - and you think he's smarter than us?!"

Kazuo had been moving closer to Jo and Jim as their argument had progressed, but this also moved him closer to the food that Kaori had left, and neither of them knew he spoke English, so both were a caught off guard by his sudden outburst in only moderately accented English. Kazuo just didn't look like the kind of guy who bothered learning things like, say, other languages. Especially not well.

Kazuo looked away from both of them and seemed to be muttering to himself, but he still spoke in English, "Shit! This is the craziest, most fucked up, dumbest night of my life!", then he looks back at the two Americans. "If you talk to this 'smart guy' again, you tell him he can sit on my sword for all I care, ok?", he said, completely oblivious to the double meaning of his words in English. Oh well, in his mind at least, Kazuo sounded like a total badass, and that was all that mattered right?

Right?

She watched Keiko, her hand remained firmly clasped on Onimaru warning the little perky sprite that a wrong move could net her a swift death. "Wounds mend in time." she said softly. "If people would stop infusing him with mystisism and stabbing him and just let the man rest, he'd recover far faster than all your pampering is giving him credit for. Were his wounds fatal I'd understand, but it seems every fool with a healing touch seems to forget that the body mends in time. I fear your constant mysticism will unbalance his spirit, I ask you to leave him be."

"Kaori, will this be ok for your grandfather?"

"It will, thank you." she said politely. She was always so proper and her voice lacking emotion. Skye could relate, in a sense.

"We should allow them time to rest and for the Priests to do what they can. Come, I can here Kazuo's voice, which means a brawl is only moments away."

Skye made a face, even as she stoppered the sake bottle. Her mom needed to rest, and sake put her out ironically fast for someone of German descent. The last thing - and it was literally the single last thing - that she wanted to do right now was talk to or even see Kazuo. "Just a moment," she said, stalling by leaning down and whispering to her mother, making sure she would be alright. When that excuse was all-too-quickly gone, she sighed and followed Kaori back.

Some things never changed, and Kazuo looked to be one of them.

Kenichi was ignored by the Miko for the most part, but she did answer his question about who made the Oni explode, which was not her apparently. Seeing the full commotion he started to wonder what had happened to the whole city, or better yet who handled the student inscriptions on his school.

Listening to the conversations, he was wondering how all this came to be, Skye and her mother, Kaori and his grandparent, the guy wielding a briefcase and the girl in the angel costume. Made him think about how his parents might be doing, but he knew they were strong enough to fend off Oni assaults, at least he hoped they were.

All this commotion had actually made Kenichi feel the blood rush through his body, and make his senses wide awake, it was almost liberating. Still, Kazuo and the two Americans were discussing in English, and most of the people had already dissappeared into the buildings figuring the best way to keep things moving along before sunset was to simply talk he approached Kazuo. "Kazuo right? Should´t we be directing everybody towards the main house like the Miko asked? Being all together will be several times more convenient to be all together in case of the dogs being able to make their way in? Protecting individuals that are spread out is more difficult that protecting individuals that are close knit together." Kenichi finalized the statement with a grin directed at nobody in particular.

Surprised by Kazou's outburst Jim turns to him, "No I didn't say that, get your ears cleaned out. I only said that there was something bigger or smarter behind the hellhounds and demons. I have no idea what, if any, plan it might have, but regardless of that he seems to be pissed at Kaori's family for having his sword and wants it back in a strangely honourable way, at least on the surface."

He looks around, looking to see where everyone is now.

"If you've got nothing more worthwhile to ask or add, I wanted a word with Ken and his 'angel' or whatever she is to see if they need anymore healing. Oops, sorry I should have asked, are any of you injuried?" He looks Kenichi, Kazou and Jo over for current visible wounds as he asks the question.

"Although you may not like how the healing is accomplished..."

Keiko tries to stay with as many students as possible...no small trick as they keep moving between shifting groups. She finds herself entrusting the old man to his granddaughter, and going to the kids shouting in English along with some of the others.

There she tried to calm things down a bit.

"Please...I'm sorry I'm having trouble keeping up with everyone? If we can all assemble, then I will do my best to explain what I have been told, and then when the priests come they will tell the rest. And I will try to answer questions, but they need to be one at a time and we should still all get together, so everyone can hear."

"Can anyone tell the foreign students this? We should go to the house together. Please?"

Kazuo responded to Jim by cocking an eyebrow, and then mocking him openly. Which was just about par for the course with Kazuo, so wait to go, Jim.

"Aso! So solly! No speaky Engu-rish good. Think Jim-san say, 'biggu-ra or smahtu-ra', but Jim-san say, 'biggu-ra or smahtu-ra'. Com-preet-uhree difurent! So solly, so solly! Puh-reeze, ahrow to kuhreen ears, then I unduhstand much bettu-ra!" In Kazuo's mind, he was doing a fantastic job of acting like he was really embarrassed and trying to kowtow to Jim, but in reality he sucked ass at acting, so it was blatantly obvious he was just being a sarcastic jerk. His imitation of English with a bad Japanese accent was spot on, though.

Right about then was when Kenichi and Keiko piped up with their bit about everyone needing to get to the main house. Kazuo was in an irritable mood so he wanted to mouth off in response to that as well, but aside from Kenichi mysteriously assuming that he and Kazuo were the designated "protectors" of this motley band of misfits, he really couldn't disagree with anything they had to say, so he just nodded in agreement. In truth, he was very eager to find out just what in hell was going on, and why it had to be happening to him!

Having already picked up on the fact that Jim spoke Japanese just fine, Kazuo left him be, figuring he'd already done enough damage as it was. So Kazuo fixed his gaze on Jo and said, once again in near-perfect English, "the others are sayin' we should go to the main house now. I guess the priests are gonna tell us what's up with all these monsters an' shit. Maybe let us in on the secrets of the Universe while they're at it. Might be fun, but either way it'll probably be better than standing around out here all night." Then he grabbed Kaori's duffel full of food and made for the house and its promise of Mystic Revelation.

Ken bowed to Keiko,

"I will help pass the word."

Headed to the house with Lindh. He knew why he felt so drained. Keeping Lindh here was wearing on his spirit like nothing else he had ever known. He kept going because he hoped she might have something useful to add to what the Priests said. He had to avoid the urge to reach out and take her by the hand, he felt so low.

Part of him wished went more like some play at school, were the team would pull together and conquer the problem before them, but real life wasn't working out like that. Everything was in disorder and he found that spiritually painful.

Looking into the house,

"Keiko has asked everyone who is able to attend the Priests of the Temple so that they can better explain what has happened here, and what our roles may be in it. Please."

He hoped the Priests would be able to put their places in this calamity into some sort of order. Order had to win out, didn't it?

While Kazou makes his mockery in English Jim just shakes his head at him then replies in perfect native japanese, "Thanks for clearing that up Kazou, for a minute I thought you might have been a jerk in only one language, but now you've proven your an asshole in two."

When Keiko calls for people to go to the house he resettles his bag and sword then heads for the house.

Kazuo's absolutely flawless mockery of the English language and a truly horrific Japanese accent caught Jo off-guard, particularly after having heard him speak her native tongue so readily. Frankly, she was surprised he could communicate in more than grunts, growls, and obscene body language, but his crude wit threatened to draw a chuckle out of her. Somehow, she didn't think that was allowed.

"Secrets of the Universe, my left butt cheek," Jo murmured as her angular, almost vulpine features arranged themselves into a sullen pout. She wanted to scream; these people were all insane, even by her standards, and dealing with them was like trying to herd cats, but what else could she do? "Fine. But if one of these priest-guys tells me to snatch the pebble from his hand, I'm out," she quipped with forced levity, briefly dropping a crooked 'peace' sign with her right hand. "Peace. Ya feel me?" She nodded her head once, as if in confirmation, and shoved her hands back in the deep pockets of her father's jacket.

Trudging up the path and largely oblivious to the frantic efforts of the Japanese students to coordinate things around her, (after all, hadn't she already spoken her piece on the matter?) Jo continued to whistle, and the pebbles continued to scatter before her.

Lindh nods to Ken and smiles. "I think it is all about to be explained."

Just as she speaks Everyone hears the same jangling of rings and is transported to one of the antechambers of the shrine. A wizened old man appears in their midst. "So you are all finally together. This is good. Some of you even managed to save others, this is also good. Now Let me tell you what has happened, and why each of you is the way you are."

"Hundreds of years ago The gateway between this world and the Underworld was opened, and Oni plagued humanity. Humanity decided to deal with this problem, and Ten brave warriors of varied arts and nationalities combined their power with that of the Lunar and Solar Priestesses to defeat the Eight Headed Orochi, leader of the Oni, and divided and sealed away his power. Without their leader, humanity could finally stamp out the Oni here on Earth. In a Final Heroic act, the Twelve gave up their lives to Seal the Gate that allowed the Oni to cross over in this world."

"The seal was forgotten for the most part, and soon only a few select families even remembered it. Due to wars, and the nature of humanity itself, now only one Shrine, this one, has a blood lineage to and history of the Sealing War. That is why this shrine cannot fall."

"I have spent much effort, great amounts of time, and considerable amounts of my own power to gather you all here, and provide you with relics that allow you to live up to the potential you each have."

"Sadly I could only find ten of the bloodlines, I dare not use more power, Humanity itself must now make its own way."

Lindh looked at the old Man and then her eyes widened and she immediately dropped to one Knee, Pulling Ken down with her. "He is a Guardian of the realm. Show respect."

Before any of the others could react The Old man walked over and raised both Ken and Lindh back up. "I remember you Valkyrie Lindh, servant of Althair. You were the easiest to reunite with former master's heritage." He looks to Ken. "You yourself are weak, unsuited to battle. However you have great worth, and only you can provide the strength needed to Summon a true holy valkyrie."

His Gaze turns to Kaori and he frowns a moment. "You wield the Demon blade Onimaru. You have a skill that cannot be denied for one so young. I shall watch you most carefully to see what truth lies within you."

He turns to Skye next. "You possess All but one thing you need to fulfill your destiny. Discover what that is, and you will achieve a grace that is truly worthy of the Lunar Priestess."

Jo attracts his Gaze. "You are spirited, strong and blunt, much as your predecessor. All of this seems as if it isn't your fight, as if you are just caught up in something that doesn't concern you. I will make a bargain with you. If you fight this battle and win, I will guarantee your father's safety for the remainder of his natural life."

He shifts his gaze to Kage. "Your blood carries the same strength and determination as the unbreakable chain you carry. You are of the family that used to ward the gate, of the bloodline of smiths that forged the chain that could bind even the Gods themselves. Learn its purpose here and now and know your own."

"Demon blade?" Kaori spoke softly. Asking herself as much as the old man. "Forgive me, Ancient One," her use of the term was nearly condescending. "But I do not believe in demons, or gods, or kami, or any of the other foolishness I've seen this day. Onimaru is a sacred relic passed down within our clan. A sign of the Aoyama clan's honor and devotion to the people of Japan."

"With all due respect, this will be over soon." She folded her arms across her chest, and the arrogant, entitled tone of superiority came through in her voice once more. "Whomever harmed my grandfather and attacked my home challenged me for the right to wield Onimaru. I have a feeling he's behind a majority of our troubles. I will meet him, defeat him, and set things right."

Awkwardly, the blonde gaijin shifted her weight from foot to foot as the old man spoke. She was pretty sure he was speaking English, but a cursory glance around at everyone's faces seemed to indicate that they, too, understood what he was saying. It was the cherry on top of a big, heaping sundae of crazy, as far as she was concerned, and if she was actually going to swallow all this, well... Then she was just one of the nuts.

My predecessor? What is this guy on about? And how is he going to "guarantee" my father's safety? And... As she looked away from the elderly figure, Jo blinked in surprise; it had only just occurred to her that she'd been somewhere else a moment ago. When the hell did I get here?

"Wait, wait, wait." Jo's slim, tanned hands waved pre-emptively in the air. "No offense, I mean, this all sounds really mystical and important, but for the non-occulty types... What's going on? Who are you? And, if all our ancestors or something fought in this wicked, epic battle, why are we-" she gestured at the assembled students- "here? We're supposed to pick up the slack, is that it?"

To those students with formal training in etiquette, Jo's open, frank demeanor toward such an esteemed personage would have been almost unthinkable, but there was neither malice nor derision in either her voice or expression. Instead, curiosity, skepticism, worry, and not a little excitement warred in her bright, sea-colored eyes.

Lunar Priestess? This man is mad, Skye thought, her hope for anything resembling sanity fading. "There has been a mistake," she said politely, but firmly. "I am not a priestess of any kind, and certainly not one of the moon. I'm not even Japanese!" Her last statement was less polite, and showed how the strain of the evening had affected her.

She looked around the room, already a little relieved that other students were looking incredulous. She searched each face, fearing that if she found support for his crazy idea in any of those faces, it would make it more likely to be true. "We're high school students," Skye added, "and this is all a giant mistake."

Archived