Aberrant: The Middle Children of History - Holiday plans

Exile

Well, I normally spend most of the time with friends apart from a few days to travel down to the family for xmas day and then back again. However, since I've erupted I reckon I could do what I want and then t'port in to see the folks on the day, or at least for lunch! smile

Christmas isn't a holiday for me (and Thanksgiving even less so, for all the obvious reasons). The solstice is, however. And with families in need, I'm doing what I can to help my People through what is turning into a hard winter even for the Black Hills.

EDIT: Though now that I think about it, I still owe you that buffalo steak, Bastion. You should come to Inyan Kara at some point to collect.

Sorry to hear about your people's trouble. Anything I can do to help? I don't have much money, but if you can provide location information I'll happily t'port over to give you my time and anything useful you can get from my skills and/or powers.

Darren

Darren, it's no different than the needy of any society. The Lakota have made great strides these past ten years, but there are always those who are left behind.

The resurgence of the buffalo in the northern Plains has certainly helped, and I use my own gifts to help ensure successful and bountiful hunts. Unfortunately, one thing that buffalo do not provide is electricity; financial donations to the various cold weather utility funds is always helpful (in any community).

I have spent every holiday, until this one, with my mother. We celebrated Christmas even though we are not Christians...at least...I don't think we are. My mother never told me anything about my heritage other than my father was American.

This year, though, I am out on my own and have been invited to a Christmas gala in New York. Does anyone know the proper etiquette for a holiday party. Do I bring presents? Does everyone come in a red suit when they bring their presents?

Quote:
Unfortunately, one thing that buffalo do not provide is electricity; financial donations to the various cold weather utility funds is always helpful (in any community).

Why rely on the evil white-man electricity.

Build a damn fire like you used to do. It's free last I heard. White-man even made these really cool stoves you can burn the logs in so you won't mess up your teepee's floor.

Quote:
This year, though, I am out on my own and have been invited to a Christmas gala in New York. Does anyone know the proper etiquette for a holiday party. Do I bring presents? Does everyone come in a red suit when they bring their presents?

Heh, you're kinda funny.

Look, it ain't that hard to survive a party in New York. Just show up and be yourself. You ain't gotta bring presents for everyone, but perhaps one for the Host would be nice (as a way of thanking them for inviting you).

Don't bother with a red suit unless you want to wear one. Don't get too drunk, but it is New York, so scheme on the first chick with the hugest boobs and you'll do alright.

I am finding Winter to be a curious mixture of experiences. Growing up in a tropical zone I'm unused to the sort of biting cold wind, frost and rain that one experiences on the reservation here.

I've been told of midwinter festivals, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it's done.

I'm a little nervous about the presents thing. I've never given or received gifts and I have zero money to buy presents anyway. I still owe Elspeth a gift from accidentally gatecrashing her birthday party (sorry Elspeth!).

On that subject, what sort of presents do people like/expect/consider customary. Not just at this time of year, but also for birthdays? I'm clueless on the matter, so any advice would be appreciated.

Oh, by the way. I understand introductions are customary on these boards, so hello everyone. My name is Phaethon, and I'm new in town so to speak. Pleased to meet you all.

Originally Posted By: Bastion
Build a damn fire like you used to do. It's free last I heard. White-man even made these really cool stoves you can burn the logs in so you won't mess up your teepee's floor.
I do just fine with a fire, Bastion. So do many who follow the Old Ways. But many of the People adopted other ways of life over the years, and while some have returned to the Old Ways, the vast majority live their lives "on the grid".

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Heh, you're kinda funny.

I was not making a joke. My only experience with Christmas has been with my mom. We never had guests or went anywhere on that day.

I will take your advice and go to this party. I am not sure though who is throwing it, only that it is some weathly gentleman.

Originally Posted By: Phaethon
On that subject, what sort of presents do people like/expect/consider customary. Not just at this time of year, but also for birthdays? I'm clueless on the matter, so any advice would be appreciated.

Well, it's whatever you think they'd like, really, Phaethon. For Ptesan-Wi, it might be another buffalo throw rug. It depends on the nature of your relationship, too. Go with your gut. And about not having money... the best gifts are hand-made.

Originally Posted By: Netherworld
I was not making a joke. My only experience with Christmas has been with my mom. We never had guests or went anywhere on that day.

I will take your advice and go to this party. I am not sure though who is throwing it, only that it is some weathly gentleman.

Dude... if anyone needs to party and/or get laid, it's you. No, I'm not offering. Go out. Have fun.

As for my plans, nothing. I'm not doing anything special. Christmas and Thanksgiving are zip holidays, and I and my family don't bother with them.

Originally Posted By: Infinity
Well, it's whatever you think they'd like, really, Phaethon. For Ptesan-Wi, it might be another buffalo throw rug. It depends on the nature of your relationship, too. Go with your gut. And about not having money... the best gifts are hand-made.

She's got a point. But those primitives are a bit wonky... she might only accept it if you wrestled the Buffalo to the ground with your bare hands with nothing but a loin cloth and a flint knife then offered its heart up to some sun god somewhere.

Quote:
Dude... if anyone needs to party and/or get laid, it's you. No, I'm not offering.

As if you got a line outside your door there Violet Parr... hell, take what you can get.

Infinity: it's a shame that you don't participate, regardless of what your other opinions of baselines might be. Having until recently been one I'm sure that I probably couldn't follow or accept you point of view on baselines. Despite that I'd have thought you could regard christmas like a lot of non-christians do 'it's not really for us moslems/buddhists/jews, but what the hell, lets join in the parties'.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy Holidays everyone. Sorry I've been uncommunicative for so long over the forums here. I am back home in Sierra Leone now. I will be Celebrating the season, but it won't be much of a celebration. Like Ptesan-Wi's people, the folks here are in pretty bad shape after three years of military dictatorship. Still, I'm sure it will be a happy season for everyone.

Netherworld,

Go to the party and just be yourself. Also, like Bastion said, a gift for the host would not be inappropriate, but you shouldn't worry about bringing them for anyone else unless the invitation specified that. Besides, one of your sculptures would be a magnificent gift. I've placed the one you gave me for my birthday in my home here and it never fails to draw compliments from those who see it.

Phaethon,

Same thing I just told Netherworld. Just give a gift from the heart and it will be cherished for that. As for me, there is no owing of gifts. All novas were welcomed to my birthday party and I appreciated your presence; that was gift enough.

Archived