Adventure! RPG: Dark Tidings - Chapter 1: The Long Night

jameson (ST)

With little effort Ben and Arch find a store that will sell them an empty cage. In the process they find three that would have sold them a cage and a dove together, and for less money, but sometimes its the principle of the whole thing. With that taken care of they have all the items on their list and with plenty of time to spare.

Meanwhile the blacksmith, for that is really what he is, looks at Janos and nods. "I can do that, half inch OK for the bar stock? It'll cost you four dollars for everything." He pulls out a long iron rod half an inch think and begins to make a couple of measurements before he starts sawing away at it with a hacksaw. In a few minutes he places the two rods on the counter. Next to these he places a small disc of what appears to be loadstone and sure enough it slowly pulls itself toward the iron bars, connecting with a dull click. "Anything else I can do for you today?"

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marion takes a deep breath and smiles at the house spirit.

"I hope so. I have a lot of work to do and not much time. Would you get a few books for me and stack them on the desk? The Third Crucible, Circles of Binding...um...the Montressoy one, the green one with the Eye of Horus on the cover, you've seen it..."

She closes the door behind her.

The next hours are full of vellum and parchment; of tattered scrolls of silk and doddering translations of translations of words never spoken by human tongues. Faded handwriting in loops and curls, eldritch symbols and sanity-blasting runes (viewed with proper wards intact, of course). Marion lights a Vizier's Lamp, which burns with soft green flame...the only way the letters of Hah'alal Mibikki's words can be seen with the eye. She writes in a neat, elegant hand on a regular yellow notepad, summarizing the results of her study into a much more concise and accessible series of steps.

Finally she gathers a few objects from around the house...a crystal orb, a black velvet shroud, the nice silver athame and a mortar and pestle...and takes her notes out to the ferry dock to go meet the others.

Marion takes a deep breath and smiles at the house spirit.

"I hope so. I have a lot of work to do and not much time. Would you get a few books for me and stack them on the desk? The Third Crucible, Circles of Binding...um...the Montressoy one, the green one with the Eye of Horus on the cover, you've seen it..."

She closes the door behind her.

The next hours are full of vellum and parchment; of tattered scrolls of silk and doddering translations of translations of words never spoken by human tongues. Faded handwriting in loops and curls, eldritch symbols and sanity-blasting runes (viewed with proper wards intact, of course). Marion lights a Vizier's Lamp, which burns with soft green flame...the only way the letters of Hah'alal Mibikki's words can be seen with the eye. She writes in a neat, elegant hand on a regular yellow notepad, summarizing the results of her study into a much more concise and accessible series of steps.

Finally she gathers a few objects from around the house...a crystal orb, a black velvet shroud, the nice silver athame and a mortar and pestle...and takes her notes out to the ferry dock to go meet the others.

"This will do just fine," Janos replies. He pays the man $5 dollars, collects the items, and tells him to keep the change, saying, "We may be back for further business."

Gathering up the ladies, the trio head out side.

"The Church is the last place then."

It is clear that Janos doesn't relish the trip either.

Still, when Stephan drives them to the closest parish, Janos jumps out of the car and heads in alone. When he sees the Priest he quietly pulls him aside and makes his request.

"Father, I am Count Janos Rakozi of Hungary. An aquantaince has passed and I need twelve drams of Blessed Water to aid him on his passage to Judgement. Normally I would go through the proper channels with my request, but see - this man was of the Orthodox persuasion, not a good Catholic. If you could see a way to help me fullfill this task, I would gladly make a proper donation to the poor and needy of the parish."

He waits on the man to consider his proposal.

"This will do just fine," Janos replies. He pays the man $5 dollars, collects the items, and tells him to keep the change, saying, "We may be back for further business."

Gathering up the ladies, the trio head out side.

"The Church is the last place then."

It is clear that Janos doesn't relish the trip either.

Still, when Stephan drives them to the closest parish, Janos jumps out of the car and heads in alone. When he sees the Priest he quietly pulls him aside and makes his request.

"Father, I am Count Janos Rakozi of Hungary. An aquantaince has passed and I need twelve drams of Blessed Water to aid him on his passage to Judgement. Normally I would go through the proper channels with my request, but see - this man was of the Orthodox persuasion, not a good Catholic. If you could see a way to help me fullfill this task, I would gladly make a proper donation to the poor and needy of the parish."

He waits on the man to consider his proposal.

Daphne didn't attempt to follow Janos. She remained in the backseat of the car, her eyes wide as she looked at the monolith of the church before them. Spot gave a soft whine - which sounded like a baby being squeezed viciously - and leaned against her. Daphne slipped her arms around him and buried her face in his sulfuric fur. She felt safer not looking at it, pretending it wasn't there.

Daphne didn't attempt to follow Janos. She remained in the backseat of the car, her eyes wide as she looked at the monolith of the church before them. Spot gave a soft whine - which sounded like a baby being squeezed viciously - and leaned against her. Daphne slipped her arms around him and buried her face in his sulfuric fur. She felt safer not looking at it, pretending it wasn't there.

A few hours later ...

Marion collected the ingredients together setting the silver filings, nightshade, holy water, candles, and the dove aside. The rest would be reserved for later if they needed to force open the box via magical means. Wasting little time Marion employed Arch and Catori to help her. A pentacle was drawn on the ground, inscribed within a circle, with the silver filings while the nightshade was ground to powder within the mortar that Marion had brought with her. To this the holy water was added and the two were mixed with the silver athame. The crystal orb is placed in the center of the pentacle and the five black candles were lit and placed at the points.

Meanwhile Marion had Ben correct her diction being that the ritual words were in a form of old Sumerian. Donning a black shroud Marion takes the dove in one hand and the athame in the other and stands at one point of the pentagram, asking Arch, Catori and two of the others to join her, each at their own point.

Marion begins the incantation to call forth the dead man’s soul. Each verse is punctuated by making a small cut on the dove with the poisoned athame. With each verse and cut the wind seems to grow colder and the sounds of the city behind them seem to become more muffled, whispers as though through a heavy veil. As the ritual reaches its apex Marion cuts the dove’s head off and pours its blood out into the crystal orb as she speaks the Russian’s name, “Nikolai Strakovski, we demand your presence at this, the site of your murder.”

As the blood falls onto the crystal the wind suddenly stops and an oppressive cold and stale air descends upon the group. A low moaning sound can be heard from inside the circle and as they watch the blood seeps into the crystal orb. Inside the crystal the blood turns dark and begins to roil and bubble as though it were boiling. Slowly the silence of the grave creeps over the area as the blood turns to black smoke within the orb. Frost forms over the wharf, creates, and lampposts, and all present shiver with the unnatural cold of death. With a great crack the orb sunders and the black smoke billows out into the circle but is constrained by it. Slowly it resolves into the skeletal shade of the man Nikolai Strakovski. It bangs its hands against the barrier formed by the circle to no effect for a moment before it recoils seeming to shrink upon itself.

For a moment nobody speaks, and then the shade, in a moaning whisper, says, “Who calls me, I have answered; bound as I am to answer and obey.”

[OOC: The ritual costs 1 Inspiration from each of the 5 participants and 1 willpower from Marion. I need to know who joined in the Circle. Please post to the scratch pad accordingly.]

A few hours later ...

Marion collected the ingredients together setting the silver filings, nightshade, holy water, candles, and the dove aside. The rest would be reserved for later if they needed to force open the box via magical means. Wasting little time Marion employed Arch and Catori to help her. A pentacle was drawn on the ground, inscribed within a circle, with the silver filings while the nightshade was ground to powder within the mortar that Marion had brought with her. To this the holy water was added and the two were mixed with the silver athame. The crystal orb is placed in the center of the pentacle and the five black candles were lit and placed at the points.

Meanwhile Marion had Ben correct her diction being that the ritual words were in a form of old Sumerian. Donning a black shroud Marion takes the dove in one hand and the athame in the other and stands at one point of the pentagram, asking Arch, Catori and two of the others to join her, each at their own point.

Marion begins the incantation to call forth the dead man’s soul. Each verse is punctuated by making a small cut on the dove with the poisoned athame. With each verse and cut the wind seems to grow colder and the sounds of the city behind them seem to become more muffled, whispers as though through a heavy veil. As the ritual reaches its apex Marion cuts the dove’s head off and pours its blood out into the crystal orb as she speaks the Russian’s name, “Nikolai Strakovski, we demand your presence at this, the site of your murder.”

As the blood falls onto the crystal the wind suddenly stops and an oppressive cold and stale air descends upon the group. A low moaning sound can be heard from inside the circle and as they watch the blood seeps into the crystal orb. Inside the crystal the blood turns dark and begins to roil and bubble as though it were boiling. Slowly the silence of the grave creeps over the area as the blood turns to black smoke within the orb. Frost forms over the wharf, creates, and lampposts, and all present shiver with the unnatural cold of death. With a great crack the orb sunders and the black smoke billows out into the circle but is constrained by it. Slowly it resolves into the skeletal shade of the man Nikolai Strakovski. It bangs its hands against the barrier formed by the circle to no effect for a moment before it recoils seeming to shrink upon itself.

For a moment nobody speaks, and then the shade, in a moaning whisper, says, “Who calls me, I have answered; bound as I am to answer and obey.”

[OOC: The ritual costs 1 Inspiration from each of the 5 participants and 1 willpower from Marion. I need to know who joined in the Circle. Please post to the scratch pad accordingly.]

Daphne walked the perimeter of the ritual, watching the events within closely. Despite her casual saunter, she moved in near-silence. The only sound she made was the occassional hiss of the pants over her moving legs. Her spear was held loosely in her right hand, ready to be employed as a weapon. Somewhere in the dark night over them, Spot patrolled the night from above. He was watching out for external interlopers.

The appearance of the spirit didn't phase her. It did bring back memories, and the young woman smiled wistfully, remembering the long years spent with her mother's shade. Most of the memories were pleasant, emotionally if not physically. It had been a tough way to grow up.

Daphne shook off those thoughts. She needed to focus on the here and now, not memories. She continued her silent vigileance, ever-watching, ever-prowling.

Daphne walked the perimeter of the ritual, watching the events within closely. Despite her casual saunter, she moved in near-silence. The only sound she made was the occassional hiss of the pants over her moving legs. Her spear was held loosely in her right hand, ready to be employed as a weapon. Somewhere in the dark night over them, Spot patrolled the night from above. He was watching out for external interlopers.

The appearance of the spirit didn't phase her. It did bring back memories, and the young woman smiled wistfully, remembering the long years spent with her mother's shade. Most of the memories were pleasant, emotionally if not physically. It had been a tough way to grow up.

Daphne shook off those thoughts. She needed to focus on the here and now, not memories. She continued her silent vigileance, ever-watching, ever-prowling.

Catori knew she had to remain at her position else she would have provoked a disturbance of the ritual. Her instincts told her to turn away and flee. This kind of ritual was giving her the creeps and it was very much unlike the way she learned to commune with the deceased spirits of her ancestors. She looked suspiciously over at Marion with mixed feelings. There was something that connected them but even more that seperated them, Catori just wasn't sure which path would be the best choice to take in regards to their relationship. Maybe she had to face her directly and see how she would respond. Her brother at least tried to sympathize with her people and her culture.

As she kept thinking about it she realized that this was what bothered her the most. These people, Marion, Ben, Count Janos... they all seemed to take for granted that their culture was... was the standard. There seemed to be little respect for anything besides that. From the books she had read about the white mens history it always included war and the struggle for dominance. Catori understood the meaning of war and the meaning for struggle... but not for dominance. Her people fought for survival and to live in peaceful communion with the great Spirit and nature.

She felt her concentration slipping and shook off her wandering thoughts. Now was not the time for emotional turmoil, she needed to be strong in resolve and temperance. Staring at the ghostly apparition of Nikolai Strakovski she waited for Marion to ask the right questions.

Catori knew she had to remain at her position else she would have provoked a disturbance of the ritual. Her instincts told her to turn away and flee. This kind of ritual was giving her the creeps and it was very much unlike the way she learned to commune with the deceased spirits of her ancestors. She looked suspiciously over at Marion with mixed feelings. There was something that connected them but even more that seperated them, Catori just wasn't sure which path would be the best choice to take in regards to their relationship. Maybe she had to face her directly and see how she would respond. Her brother at least tried to sympathize with her people and her culture.

As she kept thinking about it she realized that this was what bothered her the most. These people, Marion, Ben, Count Janos... they all seemed to take for granted that their culture was... was the standard. There seemed to be little respect for anything besides that. From the books she had read about the white mens history it always included war and the struggle for dominance. Catori understood the meaning of war and the meaning for struggle... but not for dominance. Her people fought for survival and to live in peaceful communion with the great Spirit and nature.

She felt her concentration slipping and shook off her wandering thoughts. Now was not the time for emotional turmoil, she needed to be strong in resolve and temperance. Staring at the ghostly apparition of Nikolai Strakovski she waited for Marion to ask the right questions.

Standing within the circle Ben smiled as the shade appeared. I have to hand it to her, Ben mused, she has a knack for this.

Ben was extremely tempted to begin conversing with the shade, this was not, however, the time for pleasantries. Instead Ben let Marion take the lead with the questioning. Although mentally he remarked how in death, it seemed understanding was always universal, and toyed with the question in his mind as to whether the price was worth the ability. The fleeting thought passed, and Ben worked on focusing his mind to the task at hand. Sorcery, Marion had explained, was as much will as procedure. Perform the procedure without the will and you rarely got the result expected...

Standing within the circle Ben smiled as the shade appeared. I have to hand it to her, Ben mused, she has a knack for this.

Ben was extremely tempted to begin conversing with the shade, this was not, however, the time for pleasantries. Instead Ben let Marion take the lead with the questioning. Although mentally he remarked how in death, it seemed understanding was always universal, and toyed with the question in his mind as to whether the price was worth the ability. The fleeting thought passed, and Ben worked on focusing his mind to the task at hand. Sorcery, Marion had explained, was as much will as procedure. Perform the procedure without the will and you rarely got the result expected...

It occurred to Janos that they had a problem.

Too many people wanted to observe this ritual and not enough wanted to participate. Janos for his part felt removed from this course of action. Sure, he was willing to help, but this Russian wasn't one of his, nor did the man hold any relevant information for the Count. The ritual held no meaning for him.

Of course, he believed that Marion might very well pull it off. She didn't have the demeanor of a dilletante. In a way, Marion reminded him of his older sister, Tianna, but only in a vague way. Marion lacked that hauty, driven character that his oldest sister possessed. Still, there was not enough of a connection for Janos to want to risk himself in Marion's endeavor. This was something being done for Ben, not herself. That tie was too tenuous.

Of course, this left them without enough people. Janos looked at Daphne. He didn't know the Foster woman well enough. To the young transplant from Hell,

"They are going to need some more people if this is going to work. One more person to be precise."

[OOC: We have Marion as the leader, with Arch, Catori and Ben there, so we'll need one more.]

Daphne nodded and stepped forward, planting her spear before her. Spot would continue to watch, but she was needed. Of all of the people here, Daphne was the most relaxed; this was normal for her, in a way that actually comfortable. The odd was ordinary and she stood in the last gap, ready to do her part.

Marion nods at Daphne gratefully as she takes the last position, and the ritual concludes.

As the spirit manifests, Marion draws back the shroud from her features and speaks in a firm voice to it.

"In the moments before you died, you gave this man a heavily protected box," she says, and points at Ben. "What is inside that box?"

The shade looks at Ben and shakes its head, "The box was stolen from me ..." the shade's voice is like cold whispers and moaning wind. The shade shudders as the circle flares with crimson light compelling is spirit to answer the question, "A shard ... a fragment of something greater ..." The light abates and the shade recoils as though pained.

The sound of the shade's voice sent a cold shiver down Arch's spine. It was one thing to study this kinda of thing, but to actually see it. Remarkable!

Arch's voice is crisp in the night as he speaks. "Something greater, this thing speaks in riddles! To the shade "What do you mean by something greater?"

Marion looks sharply at Archie and says, "Remember, this binding only allows a limited number of questions before it releases him back to the underworld. Make sure the questions count."

She adds, "How did you come into possession of the box?"

Originally Posted By: Katalyst
To the shade "What do you mean by something greater?"

The spirit swirls as it turns to face Archibald, "Something more ... an object broken ... weaker yet still potent..." The moaning whisper of it's voice is like icy fingers down the back of all present even Daphne, accustomed as she is to the presence of spirits, finds it uncomfortable. Spot whines but holds firm behind Daphne.

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
"How did you come into possession of the box?"

The shade turns back to Marion it's dead eyes boring into her own finally the circle begins to flare up crimson once more and the spirit speaks. "Entrusted to me ... by the servants of ... Grigori ..."

Daphne looked more freaked than before. "It ask!" she squawked, pointing at the shade, as if they couldn't guess who she meant. "They not ask! We ask!" The shade's question had rattled her. She'd never heard of a shade questioning those who had summoned it. Something felt wrong to her, and Spot, picking up on her fear, snarled loudly.

Marion pokes at the inside of her cheek with her tongue for a moment, then decides to ignore the spirit's question for the nonce.

"Who is Grigori?" she asks. "And the whole that the shard in the box is part of...what is it called?"

The shade sets itself, clearly unwilling to answer. Quickly the circle flares once more it's light growing brighter, the shade twists, it's form distorting as it screams in agony. Finally it answers, "Grigori Rasputin ... " The circle once more goes dark and the shade laughs, "You really wish to know? It will do you no good ..." The circle begins to glow again, "The Heart of Darkness ... a relic of untold power ... do you have the will to take it for yourself?"

The shade laughs again, it's black eyes seem to stare into Marion's very soul, "You can no more command me than I can escape this circle ... Many parties seek the Heart ... I do not know them by name ... it was not my place to know ... only to seek out the key... Thus the bargain is met!" The shade reaches out to Daphne suddenly, caressing her cheek with its hand. The phantasm seems to size her up, "You seek to reclaim what was yours ... the Heart can do this for you ... and more ..." Laughing the specter swirls upward and then twists down and into the crystal orb. The glass become black as darkest night and the explodes in a shower of icy shards.

[OOC: all of you in the circle take 2 lethal damage, Those outside take 2 bashing. Soak is bypassed.]

Arch grunts in pain as the icy shards pierce his body. Inside his head he briefly tihnks "That wasn't supposed to happen." before falling to the ground in agnoy. He manages to look around at the others in the circle as see's that they are just as hurt. Moving slowly to Marion "Wha... happen?" he gasps.

Janos rushes toward the place were the shard was, sword at the ready. He ginds his teeth as obviously the moment has passed - for now.

He moves to Archibald and helps him rise. He does so to each of the members of the circle that are obviously injured and having trouble recovering form the shard-bomb. Finally, he looks to Marion.

"I take it that didn't go as smoothly as hoped. What went wrong and isn't Rasuptin <spits on the ground> dead?"

Looking around, he adds,

"We should get back to the house and get some decent medical care there. Out here, we are exposed."

Catori whinced painfully and stumbled backwards looking angry at Marion. "I said something was wrong..."

As she realized that she was not the only one who got hurt Catori walked over to Marion and inspected her injuries.

(ooc: roll medicine pls and if necessary spent inspiration to heal her)

Marion groaned and sat up woozily. Blood ran freely down her leg, and when she hiked up her skirt a little, it was clear why. A long, sharp fragment of glass had plunged into her thigh a few inches above her kneecap.

As Catori came towards her, she gripped the protrouding edge and stifled a yelp as she yanked the glass fang out of her.

"I know you did," Marion replies to Catori as she presses the heel of her hand down over the bleeding hole in her leg. "But we were just getting to the real answers. If I'd stopped it then, we'd have been no better off than we were when we started."

She looks up at the Indian woman. "Magic is risk. You can't get anywhere without taking a few chances."

"What good are your chances if you end up dead?", Catori knelt down to inspect the wound and concentrated for a moment. She hummed a soothing melody and reached for her small leather bag that was attached to her belt at her skirt and took out some herbs. As she layed her hands on the wound a greenish light spread from her fingers through the herbs and on the injured flesh. Almost instantly the wound closed and the pain along with it subsided.

(ooc: using Touch of life - 1 Inspiration spent)

Then Catori stood up again and looked at Marion, "You should be more careful in future. You seem rather fragile to me."

Archived