Aberrant: The Middle Children of History - Character Concept Thread

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Netherworld, the format is html only. Just quote someone, grab their code and switch out what you need. Remember to post its as html only, though.

MET stands for Mind's Eye Theater and was the old LARP system for White Wolf. You get five free dots in those Influences, with nothing over a three.

I took out the Aberrant Influenc Background because it was too vague and people were trying to use it completely differently. I put in the Fame Background (which you have to buy as a normal background in character creation if you want it) instead.

Bastion -

We said in the discussions and I believe it is also in the Orientation, that players could submit custom mechanics for their character (though the mods decide if it flys or not) as well as allowing mechanics from the fan-created books with mod approval. If you want to change something on your character because you were unaware of that, then do so.

Please talk to us instead of accusing us. It makes one rather defensive and to not really want to spend the time and headache it takes to run a game, if we're just going to be picked at.

Quote:
We said in the discussions

Discussions I may or may not have been a part of.

Quote:
and I believe it is also in the Orientation

I searched the orientation thread, it makes no mention of petitioning to use our own custom content.

I've read it 5 times, searched for specific words 11 times, and nothing.

Please point out where you 'believe' it is mentioned.

I said I believed it had been. Reading back through it, it was only in the discussions. My apologies, Bastion, but you still don't need to be so hostile. I'll amend the Orientation.

Again, chill out. If you want to make alterations to your character now, I've already said that is fine. You're being pretty hostile over an honest mistake.

My intent is not to be hostile, I'm being tactless and blunt, maybe even rude, but not hostile. That's just how I am, at least I ain't cursing yet. smile You three seem to have all sorts of standards that you're using that we (as players in your world) have not been informed of.

Think of how you would feel, hmm?

If you're fixing it, cool. Done deal. Problem solved.

Also, for everyone playing, I changed Bastions profile.

I added:

Quote:
Eufiber Malfunction: Sebastian Stone has a peculiar quantum signature that eufiber just cannot attune properly to. His baseline metabolism prevents him from gaining any soak or storing quantum within a colony. He may still attune a colony and make it change shape, but those are the only benefits he gains.

If this is a problem talk with me about it.

I'm considering dropping the deadbeat quirk. It fits, but there is something about that isn't right about... I just can't place it.

Note to Netherworld: In spite of WW breaking their own rules when they right up NPCs (Tenebrae) you cannot buy Clone (an L3 power) inside of Bodymorph (an L2).

Otherwise, awesome character, a god of shadows on par with my Elemental Master.

I get that. But alot of WW rules are wonky especially in regards to their own NPCs. In other words..you cant take clone L3 for L2 prices. Its perfectly fine within theme though...

I am sure Courier can tell you more. he has detailed breakdowns of all the places WW contradicts itself.

The mods didn't catch it when I submitted the toon. To tell you the truth, when I read it, I assumed it was only possible to clone when in shadows. This would make clone a weakened power. If he used Bodymorph when not in shadows, the clone would not work, as there are no existing shadows to clone from.

Really though, it is no biggie, I can grab something else.

Netherworld is correct. Body Morph: Shadow's specifically recommended power-effects include (but is not limited to) cloning (as he said up-thread, see pg. 130 of the Teragen book for the reference). This is about as canonical an endorsement as you can ask for. The books most certainly do agree with him on this one, and if the Mods are also cool with it, then I'd say he's golden.

Save that the mods don't recall recieving this character. I spoke with Mala and PW both on this. I'm not sure what's going on, but they've left the house, and it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I'm sorry for the confusion; I'll work on getting it cleared up ASAP.

Edited to add: And Neth is sure he submitted. As I said, we'll get this fixed ASAP.

Originally Posted By: Tannin
Netherworld is correct. Body Morph: Shadow's specifically recommended power-effects include (but is not limited to) cloning (as he said up-thread, see pg. 130 of the Teragen book for the reference). This is about as canonical an endorsement as you can ask for. The books most certainly do agree with him on this one, and if the Mods are also cool with it, then I'd say he's golden.

AKAIK it was a mistake on WW part (and not the first). I recall Courier (Alex Green) making a strong case for it being a mistake at Eon but am not at liberty right now to look up the thread.

Also, when you can create shadows viz mastery, saying "only when shadows are present" isn't really a weakness.

Anyways if the mods are fine with it then I can be, though I would personally reccommend paying the L3 price for an L3 dot.

Originally Posted By: The_Fool
AKAIK it was a mistake on WW part (and not the first).

If you can show me the official errata or a WW statement that states it's an obvious mistake then I'll buy it. Not a players or anyone else's theories on whether or not it could have been one or was one but they just didn't get around to fixing it.

Until then it's canon.

Since Clone can only be used with a minimum Quantum of 5 then I wouldn't bat an eyelash if the character had Quantum 5 and took 'Clone' as part of his suite. If the character had Quantum 3 and wanted Clone I'd simply deny the request and state that once they hit Quantum 5 they may have it then.

That's my opinion anyway, and one I'd recommend the moderators consider as they review the issue. Seriously, as long as the math is accurate on the character sheet, what's the big deal at this point?

Quote:

Also, when you can create shadows viz mastery, saying "only when shadows are present" isn't really a weakness

Creating those shadows costs him qp's, as well as an action. If you notice, none of his Bodymorph powers in themselves have anything Shadowlike. The Bodymorph powersuite is designed to really only be useful when he is in shadows, and then when it is activated, it creates another copy of the bodymorphed form.

Originally Posted By: Bastion
Originally Posted By: The_Fool
AKAIK it was a mistake on WW part (and not the first).

If you can show me the official errata or a WW statement that states it's an obvious mistake then I'll buy it. Not a players or anyone else's theories on whether or not it could have been one or was one but they just didn't get around to fixing it.

Until then it's canon.

Since Clone can only be used with a minimum Quantum of 5 then I wouldn't bat an eyelash if the character had Quantum 5 and took 'Clone' as part of his suite. If the character had Quantum 3 and wanted Clone I'd simply deny the request and state that once they hit Quantum 5 they may have it then.

That's my opinion anyway, and one I'd recommend the moderators consider as they review the issue. Seriously, as long as the math is accurate on the character sheet, what's the big deal at this point?

The problem Rev is that the rules for bodymorph state that you may use bodymorph dots to take level 1 and 2 powers only. Not level 3. The only real issue I have with it is that you should pay the L3 price for the L3 dot. I had actually considered soing this at one point but I was going to propose to whatever ST an extra for bodymorph calle enhanced bodymorph or similar that would make the dots all cost L3 prices and therefore be able to take L3 powers (or L2 powers with extras in this case).

Well ,if you can only use level 1 and level 2 power and they specifically state that a level 3 power can be used in a canon reference then it pretty much overrides the previous source.

Kinda sucks I know, but rules are rules. In the description it says you can use a level 3 power. Pretty cut and dry in my opinion.

Too bad, so sad.

Case closed, lets move on to shit that is actually important. Like when can I get my 500 bonus XP for being so incredibly fucking awesome?

:Headdesks loudly and repeatedly::

crazy

JesusH.FuckingChristonaPopsicleStick.

This place confuses me so damn much sometimes.

The Aberrant rules are chock full of mistakes. its a mistake and you bloody well know it. If the line was still published it would have been in an errata.

The thing that confuses me around here though is the inconsistency with which the rules are applied. One minute it's throw the book at him! The next it's the book is wrong! Nerf it!

Bloody makes my head hurt.

Welcome to my world. I've started many an argument over what you're going through now and not once has it ever changed anything.

I've gotten to the point where all I care about is the math being accurate for the character (soak, power costs, NPs spent properly, etc...).

I know it hurts, you'll either go numb to it too or hang yourself.

Quote:
I understand what you are saying TF, but in this case the rules do spell it out, and while it might be a mistake on the part of the WW staff, the mods have approved it so that's it.
I know.

Im not railing against the decision. Its just the inconcictency of this place boggles me sometimes.

Quote:
I know it hurts, you'll either go numb to it too or hang yourself.

I can feel the numbness seeping in...

Bodymorph states that you can pick any of the Elemental Anima and Elemental Mastery powers as part of the powersuite. If you can choose those level 3 powers to fit a particular type of BM, isn't it safe to assume that clone is like that with BM (shadows)? That could be the intent of the authors in that case.

Vivi and I were talking because, you know, we live together and sometimes she expects attention and what not. Go figure.

We started talking about Bastion. She noticed a few things with him that I had overlooked, like how can a nova (third generation or not) have a Mega-Stamina 6 and then also have a 'Baseline Metabolism'? Even as a child he never became sick, felt the effects of drugs or alcohol, or even broke a bone. Logically any nova built for war like Bastion is would need his skeleton reinforced, his muscle density increased far beyond what science can calculate, and organs that are shielded and protected.

I'm not a big on the whole "it's the quantum!" excuse.

Sebastian is not a nova that is learning how to use his powers. He's a nova relearning his powers. He, at one point, possessed a suite full of powers and abilities that most likely put him on par with a few canon NPCs and their broken and twisted stats (perhaps even on par with Pax in terms of Strength/Stamina/Invulnerability, but certainly not Mal). Since the death of the little girl and his media crucifixion Sebastian 'let himself go'. Basically he shut off 'Health' and starting binge drinking.

As time went on Sebastian found that certain powers he used to possess simply began to fade away as his third generation body began experiencing the effects of a baseline metabolism due to his Health being deactivated. The more he sat around not giving a hoot about himself or the world the weaker he became. Eventually he lost his 'Health' enhancement and this caused something rather peculiar; his body had no idea what do to, reactivate his Mega-Stamina or just let it be.

It chose to let it be, stripping Sebastian of his natural resilience to the things that most novas were immune to. He can now catch a cold, the flu, get drunk, stoned, gassed, etc. I wanted some way to explain that, frankly, the world knows very little about the potential of 1st Gen novas, their knowledge of 3rd Gen ones would be almost non-existent. Note, I said almost. I wanted Bastion to be a bit of an anomaly, he's practically a baseline with quantum powers. He suffers like a baseline, gets sick like a baseline, etc...

Without eating right, regular exercise, and trying to keep healthy Sebastian will degrade into a baseline as his body breaks down and stops channeling quantum. What's on his sheet is about all he has left of a character who used to be about a 1,200XP nova. (He was a Municipal Defender for 5 years. MCoH grants 20XP/month for active novas. 20x60=1,200)

Don't let the math scare ya, I said used to be. Meaning that if he wants it all back I have to spend XP like everyone else to get it.

He's a work in progress. I'm still my best to tweak him into a logical built from what my point of view on a third generation nova would/could/should be like.

Whatever floats your boat, dude. Its a game. If this is how you want to justify some stuff about your character have at it. As long as this losing power nonsense doesn't become part of the game, I think its an interesting spin on the uniqueness of novas and their immune systems.

I will point out that being able to lose your powers once gained is not something spelled out in the rules. Just like having a slow eruption, it's something that works for your character and story, but is not 'by the book'. I don't have a problem with it though, I'm liking Bastion's story, and I'm of the opinion that Story takes precedent over 'by the book'.

Dave, PW is in a similar boat. After the whole mess with Wakinyan's death and the Lakota uprising, she didn't deal much with the outside world anymore; after Iharra's death and Sean going nuts, she pretty much shut herself off from everyone who wasn't in the tribe (with a few exceptions, mostly Terats of a similar mindset). In doing so, in limiting her exposure to the outside world, she regressed from where she was in 2018 to where she is now. As she begins pulling herself out of that isolation and dealing with others again, she'll start relearning/rediscovering/reawakening what she had before (via XP expenditure).

Quote:
As long as this losing power nonsense doesn't become part of the game

Too late.

The rules do cover 'losing powers'. Please refer to page 126 of the Core Book Fox and Neil. You'll find a section there called "Losing Traits".

Same effect applies here. Sebastian has abused his body with laziness and alcohol. He has lost dots and enhancements as a result. Abusing his body intentionally is the "injury sufficient enough to impair" him in this case.

NodeSpark...

If the character generates electricity why does he have Claws (Electricity) and not Quantum Conversion (Electricity)?

They're the same level of power and one is actually the rooted in the science field that the character seems founded around; the generation of electricity.

Archived