Aberrant: No Fate - Table Talk: No Fate

Joani

Originally Posted By: Nosferatu
Quote:
As far as Sky's PC is concerned his ranks in backing do not require that he had the appropriate rank in Omega, while he may have the ability to pull data and request "stuff" as a commander he may just be a lieutenant(sp?) in rank.

Which is what I was trying say. You are much more diplomatic about it than I am. This also fits into his PC's conditioning reinforced delusions. They trust him because they exert more influence on his mind than the rest of us, yet due to mental considerations, is not in any position to lead. Hence a 5 backing, with a leutenant's ranking.

Heres the thing. Being insane doens't neccesarily make one "crazy." There are psycopaths who are geniuses and quite capable of existing and moving in the real world.

He doesn't have rage issues, he isn't obsessive per se, he can still hold a conversation...its just that he his paradigm and worlsview are so seperate from the rest of us. What in our culture have been called schizophrenics in other cultures were considered shamans and mediums...

My point is, in spite of his twisted nature, he is still "sound of mind" for the purposes of being on this team, interacting with other novas and in general being the badass hitman that the OC needs him to be. Look at V who was in part an inspiration for The Fool...though he might be considered insane, he is nonetheless highly capable and not "unfit to lead." He is in fact a mastermind. One could argue that several of todays leaders had various forms of mental illness...

What I object to is Nos and perhaps others getting the mistaken impression that his paradigm means that everything he says is suspect, that he is just spouting irrelevant drivvel or that he somehow less valid of a character in this story.

:Sigh:

I enjoyed everyone elses concepts so much that I can admit I was hoping for a better first reaction. But instead of a warm welcome and "Hey Sky, cool character concept!" I get blasted on the first post.

Did I give myself one hell of a challenge? Sure...I feel like I am playing wolverine back when he was a mind fucked weapon x project. The character can develop over time.

I did just want to say that I really dug your intro post Lily. Stylish writing, excellent use of repetition...and you nailed the critic nature on the head. well done. And well done everyone.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been twice the last time was last summer. I was very un-impressed. For a "world class" city I found it to be dirty, smelly, and dingy. Needless to say the impression it left on me was not favorable. Granted I am pre-disposed to not liking NY being that I and a Red Sox fan an live within an hour of Boston!

Sky I think part of the reception is due in part to a lack of understanding just what is up with your character. That's my perspective anyways

Maybe I can mediate a little. I'm really happy so far with how you all have responded to my game. I am enjoying it thoroughly.

The issue about Ranks, who is in charge et al. is really not that important in this game. Trust me, the ranks are there more out of necessity but the Players shouldn't follow that structure so strict. Its more like stated earlier - a high Backing does not reflect as much Loyalty or involvement in the higher echolons of OC, it is more a measure of how much access the agent has to OCs resources. Of course it also implies that someone of higher rank "has more to say" than someone of lower rank - but you are after all the heroes of this story. Its more a flavour thing, less a medium or tool. I hope you understand what I try to say.

I like it Ski.

IMHO what his backing of 5 means is that he's viewed as our team leader... which is not to say that they actually take his orders themselves, they just expect us to do so. IMHO his insanity isn't a combat handicap and also isn't going to be a problem on missions.

Maybe more to the point, we aren't talking about someone grossly incapable of leadership from a tactical stand point. Of everyone who has presented, I think he (the PC) is the best choice.

If someone else wants to make an arguement on why their character should be in charge instead, I'm more than willing to listen. But you can't beat something with nothing and so far no one has put their hat in the ring as far as I can tell.

EDIT: And being in charge of a group like this is like herding cats. They'll do it only to the degree it suits them.

Thats why I prefer not to "lead." In a team like this it should be more like we are all professionals, we all know where our place is and what are jobs are and we do them with all the slickness and precision of a well oiled sniper rifle.

Thanks! Gray's got some mental issues herself, of course. Hence the kind of weird, almost obsessive repetition.

I still need to add the part where she includes herself in that lineup, and spares none of that negatively-biased analysis. smile

As for leader, I think it's best to wait and see. Typically things will either devolve into chaos, or someone will grab the bull by the horns and start giving orders. If the first happens, we'll need to elect someone we all feel like we can trust (on a tactical level). If the second happens...problem solved. smile

I wanted to make my own entry about how glad I am that this has finally taken off. You are all responding wonderfully though I gave you so little input about OC and the setting as such. I want to apologize for that - I believe many discussions could've been avoided or brought to a faster end than they did.

I'm juggling translation of a finished concept and learning to work the boards/forums and realized that it is a lot more complicated than I thought. It does also have its advantages. I only have to find a way how to pace this properly - there is so much right now in my head that I need to stay focused on the scene.

I will most likely add some more flavor in the Prelude thread. Its going to be like a rewind to the present - kinda like the Movie "Memento". Maybe it helps you all to get a better feeling for the story and the mood I try to create. Ms. Baxter is somewhat a comic-relief though, don't take it too hard.

Well - just wanted to give a group hug. +cheers+

So Ms Baxter is comic relief. That makes me sad. I was thinking she was going to be more like Lady Une from Gundam Wing. The serious zealot of an officer who is solely dedicated to the cause and the leader of the organization. Guess I was way off. frown

But personally I think its great that we can even do it since some of us are in germany, uk, us. To me its a great game and running games can be difficult no matter what and the fact that you can do it on a forum from a different country is great.

Job well done Joani.

PS. Got the song and thanks.

Originally Posted By: Savar_Void
So Ms Baxter is comic relief. That makes me sad. I was thinking she was going to be more like Lady Une from Gundam Wing. The serious zealot of an officer who is solely dedicated to the cause and the leader of the organization. Guess I was way off. frown

oh - didn't mean to spoil your expectations there. She is a zealot of an officer - she is not designed as comic relief, but she has potential and Callum and Cherub already picked up that line... sort of.

Thanks for the compliment I appreciate that very much.

Not suprising - I didn't expect either of the tarats to have it nor the Fool, that left Utopians and our Elite - and none of them need not hide themselves.

I suggest that we have Callum try to get close to the target in baseline guise.

Edit - that assumes that he maintains his human life - we know he hasn;t gone public so either the baseline has "gone missing" or he dorms down from time to time.

Double edit - there goes that idea ...

I'll be updating tomorrow and move a little forward unless you want to discuss how you want to actually proceed.

Don't forget that you have access to your factions - your investigation can have synergy-like effects if you pooled your knowledge.

Originally Posted By: Joani Reikspar
Very nice Fiction there Callum. +applauds+

Thanks, the second part of that story may have to wait till next week. I'm going to try takign a stab at it tonight but works been hectic so I dunno.

Also I should note that I'll be on vacation April 5th through 13th so my online prescence will be greatly diminished during that week. Post around me as you see fit, I'll understand.

@Courier - Did you request the file that Newton sent to his Professor? So far I just noticed Gray asking for it.

Who else for that matter? I sent you a PM accordingly.

I'm going to wait and see what the others will do before I round it up and move forward.

I'd like to put feelers out in the Teragen...I'd especially like to see if there's any links, even tenuous, between this Fong business and the Corbin/Slider events. If so, that would strengthen the possibility he's in Denmark.

Nos, I think you mean Gray. smile

Also, GM, I want to look into this science of his...specifically, see if anyone in the Teragen has heard of anything like it (without revealing to them that it actually exists). I'm thinking our boy may be willing to trade this with certain Teragen high-ups in exchange for resources, information, or both.

If so, Nos and I might be able to use Teragen contacts to find out where he's staying, or at least who he's dealing with.

Archived