Aberrant: No Fate - Table Talk: No Fate

Joani

Savar, Is Void infiltrating Proteus? If so we might know of each other since that is my choice as well. Wasn't sure though since your post said Utopia but wasn't specific.

Also I just noticed that NOsferatu has Absorbtion:Kinetic so theres our Mega Str character, though who knows how many dots he has. I always thought that was a humorous power: :Turns to friend: "I want you to hit me as hard as you can." "What?!"

laugh

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: SkyLion
I was under the impression that we have all been a team and worked together for the last year, though I may be wrong.

What about you Lily? Can you see Gray Goo being on the same team as masked weirdo?

Well, when i asked the question last about what kind of contact most of our characters had with each other, we have spent the past year getting into our individual organizations. I would also assume the only contact we would have had was our monthly checkups and debriefs.

Yes, I am both Utopian and Proteus. I am mid rank is both aspects. They more or less use me as a taxi cab for the elites of the novas. To get in an out of a place quickly. I've stated that they really only know about my warp and teleport. Both of which are low in rank, but if I need successes I can always through in a willpower for an extra x10km. Hopefully i dont miss land and put everyone in the ocean. :P

Originally Posted By: Savar
So .. the 'Character Fictions' are just a way for us to write about the comings and goings of our characters that have nothing to do with what is going on in the game, just what may or may not have happened or is happening to them?

Thats to some degree correct and wrong, Savar. Fictions are sideline stories to give yourself and the others more of a feel how your character is. You can write as much as you like and as detailed as you feel comfortable with. It is not fictious in the sense of "this may or may not have happened" - it is definitely something your character has experienced. Sometimes it helps to give more color to an event which got "steamrolled" in the mainthread or which you felt to elaborate more on, even though the story is already at a different point. For reference I suggest visiting The Long March and look up the Fictions there.

I was under the impression that we have all been a team and worked together for the last year, though I may be wrong.

I wonder if that is going to be the case for all of us? Presumably we bond more as a team as the game progresses. It would make sense that as a team our relationships are purely professional. I won't be surprised if the story forces us to rely on each other a little more.

Heck even Rorshach had friends...

These assumptions are all correct. Most of the time over the last year your only reference to one another was either at the monthly exams/scans or if you characters are in the same faction. Your relationship is mostly on a professional basis but I hope you soon find out that you all are going to need eachother if you want to pull this through.

Im not sure our characters would know about each other "publicly" then. My character has no need of Void's services given he is also a teleporter and Proteus Ops tend to not know jack shit anyways...the classic left hand right hand disconnect. Unofficially however we would know each other through the OC and have probably worked together "off the books" before. Perhaps we can come up with some connection?

It would be nice to have at least one "friend" among the player characters. Cherub is another possibility, given he has similar "delusions" about the source of his powers. (correct me if Im wrong on that Courier, and no I don't mean to imply that Cherub is aberrated or insane in the same sense that The Fool is...).

I was under the impression that if we knew each other, we were not aware that we were fellow Omega Operatives. It would be standard practice with covert operatives. I am sure Nos knows Grey, but only as a fellow NV Terat, and not as a fellow Omega Operative. That way, if either of us is discovered, we would not be able to 'out' the other.

As for Grey and Nos, they probably run with separate private circles. Nosferatu runs with the Goth/Fetish/Vampire groups when he is not doing stuff with NV.

See I got the totally opposite impression. Joani said that publicly we could even be rivals but that behind the scenes we are a team...Team 7...

Joani it would seem that there is alot of confusion going around. I had thought it was just me but could you clarify how this Team 7 thing is supposed to work?

I'm trying to clarify - you are aware of eachother as OC agents. Your first assignments being the infiltration of the various factions which you've accomplished to full satisfaction. You know that you've been recruited for the purpose of killing Novas and your powers are highly destructive in nature which could mark you all as possible threats to any authorities. So OC basically was fastest to recruit you and beat the other factions to it. I'm still keeping the part about your recruitment in the dark because it involves brainwashing which you are all not aware of (yet).

Originally Posted By: Andrew Murphy
Callum - Scotland
Nos - New York (?)
Sean/Wraith - New York, London, S. Africa
Tom/Cherub - New York
Void - New York
Grey Goo - ?

Lily - where is Grey Goo based out of??

Joani - I didn;t think about it when I wrote my post but Callum is 5 hours ahead of New York where most of the other PCs are living. So 6 am for him is 1 am for at least some of the others, as Nos points out some PCs may not be sleeping. Given that a GMT time might be nice in this situation. On the flip side if it ought to be 11 am for Callum I'll re-write my post accordingly.

I'd asked if there was a place with a clear advantage for the Teragen infiltration...oh yes, then someone asked what faction. I guess it's Nova Vigilance, based on the GM's coughing fit.

So I guess New York too? Is that where Nos is?

...or maybe San Francisco. I'm much more familiar with it IC, so I could do more justice to it. And it seems weird for us all to live in the same city. Except that Scotsman. smile

Originally Posted By: Savar
My question is about the group dynamic. I understand that Sky has highest rank but he doesnt want command, so does that mean that Nos is going to be the mission leader since he holds the next highest rank of Col?

That would be the case, unless Nos or Sky object?

Callum - Scotland
Nos - New York (?)
Tom/Cherub - New York
Void - New York
Grey Goo - ?

Lily - where is Grey Goo based out of??

Joani - I didn;t think about it when I wrote my post but Callum is 5 hours ahead of New York where most of the other PCs are living. So 6 am for him is 1 am for at least some of the others, as Nos points out some PCs may not be sleeping. Given that a GMT time might be nice in this situation. On the flip side if it ought to be 11 am for Callum I'll re-write my post accordingly.

I wrote my entry without giving specifics about the time of day. I was aware that all of you are in different time zones. I wanted to keep it as open as possible. I don't think it would damage the story right now if we assume that it'll happen during the day. Maybe some of you have gotten the message earlier and some later. More important is, that I get you all into one room at one time from where we can move forward. I hope this is ok?

btw, I wanted to ask you to be patient with me. Its the first time I GM/ST a game Forum-style. If I didn't catch something or forgot to comment on a question - please give me another note per PM or at the table. Right now I want to give the others a chance to respond to the initial post before I go on with the story.

I hope you're going to like it and if you feel that something is missing or wrong, then please tell me.

Originally Posted By: Courier
Also NV would be easier, they judge people what they do (i.e. who they kill). If you're willing to do that then gaining acceptance wouldn't be hard.

The Casablancans are a lot sneaker.

I dunno...Lily mentioned her character was all shape-shifty and spylike. I could totally see her in the Casablancas if she wanted too. smile

Originally Posted By: Nosferatu
Quote:
That would be the case, unless Nos or Sky object?

No objections. I will carry the burden of leadership if a leader is needed.

I would more enjoy playing the role of tactical expert and wild card. Question: Do we need a leader? If the answer is yes I would prefer not to order people around, but act as the Vizier and wise man to Nosferatu's Sultan as it were, however his superceding rank mean that he may sometimes act on orders given from higher up. He is Nobody's Fool. laugh

He may lead in deed, but one should heed the wisdom dripping from the Jester's toungue... wink

Quote:
If the answer is yes I would prefer not to order people around, but act as the Vizier and wise man to Nosferatu's Sultan as it were,

After reading your character's background, I wonder why you gave your character 5 dots of backing. Or rather, why Omega gave him the rank of commander.

With all due respect to you, and your character's rank, The Fool is not exactly in possession of all his facilities. No organization would put someone in charge who lived in a Lovecraftian delusion. It doesn't happen. Nor do people seek advice from people who have no grasp of reality, except in certain specialized areas, where their jugement can be trusted. Someone who could possibly give orders from 'higher up', given that the 'higher up's' don't really exist, is a danger to any team.

You may be a tactician and combat expert, but you have also decided to saddle your character with mental problems. Regardless of your rank, you will not be put in charge of anything. To do so, makes a mockery of Omega, because your character's judgement is suspect. Had your character been sane, I would have no issues with him leading or advising.

Essentially, the mental delusions have cancelled your dots in Backing. Why did you take them anyway, knowing your charater was not all there?

Jesus Nos!

Quote:
Regardless of your rank, you will not be put in charge of anything. To do so, makes a mockery of Omega, because your character's judgement is suspect. Had your character been sane, I would have no issues with him leading or advising.

Essentially, the mental delusions have cancelled your dots in Backing. Why did you take them anyway, knowing your charater was not all there?

First of all you are making statements that aren't true. His delusions do not cancel his backing by any means. You are not in a position to say who is and is not in charge of anything.

If you don't like my character just say so openly. In the meantime Joani has assured me that I am one of the highest ranking people in our division and if you are smart you willlisten when the Fool gives tactical advice or warns of a premonition...

What you don't know is that his delusions reinforce his indoctrination to the Omega Corperation. As far as they know he is the hand that executes their will. He is to be treated accordingly.

RE: The Fool's Backing and Leadership.

There was a comic with a team in a similar situation. One of the four was by far the team heavy, basically a walking nuke / Death Machine. He also had the most forceful personality, and the most experience at combat (i.e. professional super-solider for years). His team mates were a housewife, a half mad struggling private eye, and an actress/singer. So with one pair of boots holding the most power, skill, leadership experience, AND the best personality fit who do all four choose to put in charge....?

The Private Eye. His powers revolved around enhanced senses and other things not especially forceful in combat, except that when he gave an order you could be sure it was *right* and/or based on a lot more information that you had. This was always true, up to and including ordering the group to wait for the in bound nuclear weapon to land on them (someone else needed them to stand still so she could teleport them out).

Annoyingly, being *right* counts for a lot.

Originally Posted By: The_Fool
Jesus Nos!

Quote:
Regardless of your rank, you will not be put in charge of anything. To do so, makes a mockery of Omega, because your character's judgement is suspect. Had your character been sane, I would have no issues with him leading or advising.

First of all you are making statements that aren't true. His delusions do not cancel his backing by any means. You are not in a position to say who is and is not in charge of anything.

If you don't like my character just say so openly. In the meantime Joani has assured me that I am one of the highest ranking people in our division and if you are smart you willlisten when the Fool gives tactical advice or warns of a premonition...

What you don't know is that his delusions reinforce his indoctrination to the Omega Corperation. As far as they know he is the hand that executes their will. He is to be treated accordingly.

Well .. here is my thoughts on Leaders in group RPG. There is always going to be a situation where there is going to be a split opinion or a group of opinions and no one is budging and the game is not moving forward. The designated leader in my games is the person that says .. THIS IS THE PATH THE GROUP IS TAKING .. nuff said. So to me .. we can operate independantly and dependantly but when the game is in a lull because people are not budging .. I wouldnt mind someone going .. Im leader .. and i'll kill you now so that the enemy has to investigate your body so the rest of the team can get out (That was a comment from one of my players years ago. I swear my friends are disturbed but I can only prove it when we rp. I loved it)

As for a 4D person, I am down with it. Its different and I may not fully understand or appreciate the fullness of the concept, but if it works for the group .. it will work for me.

I wonder what a 4d jagerbomb would taste like? :P

I know this probably isn't the right place to post something like this, but the site's giving me all kinds of problems and this is the only place where I can actually see a place to post.

I have created an account(twice) and do not have permission(so sayeth the pop-up) to....

- View Profiles

- Use the Shoutbox

- Use the Search Box

- Send a PM

In addition

Reply options don't show up at the end of messages with the exception of the ones that show up in "Recent Posts".

Could someone please shoot me an e-mail and help me sort this out? hyoseph@hotmail.com.

I would PM a mod with this but, well, I don't have permission.

Thanks in advance

~Hyoseph

I know that leadership can always be a pain in the ass in RPGs. I had to give OC a military structure because it has more divisions than yours to cover. Your ranks give you access to OCs databases, gear and other assets (like money/resources).

I was hoping that the team as such would find its leadership-structure not only based on rank but on experience and field of expertise depending on the situation.

So did we actually decide to not have a team leader? I'm confused.

As far as Sky's PC is concerned his ranks in backing do not require that he had the appropriate rank in Omega, while he may have the ability to pull data and request "stuff" as a commander he may just be a lieutenant(sp?) in rank. As he said his delusions reinforce the Omega indocrination so his backing shows their trust in his LOYALTY (if not in ability).

I don't see any reason why he couldn't have Backing 5 but without the rank of commander. Similarly Nos or any of us could be team leader w/o being commander, it shows only that Omega does not trust us implicitly.

Quote:
As far as Sky's PC is concerned his ranks in backing do not require that he had the appropriate rank in Omega, while he may have the ability to pull data and request "stuff" as a commander he may just be a lieutenant(sp?) in rank.

Which is what I was trying say. You are much more diplomatic about it than I am. This also fits into his PC's conditioning reinforced delusions. They trust him because they exert more influence on his mind than the rest of us, yet due to mental considerations, is not in any position to lead. Hence a 5 backing, with a leutenant's ranking.

Callum - Scotland
Nos - New York
Tom/Cherub - New York
Void - New York
Grey Goo - New York
Fool - Paris

Looks like the Fool and I are the odd men out - or if you aren't a big fan of New York (much like I am IRL) the lucky ones!

Archived