Aberrant: Infinite Earth - The Final Frontiers [Shuttered]

Mary Masters

Hello.

If you're seeing this, well, then your computer is working, for I am about to tell you about the greatest adventure you can go on!

The Multiversal Exploratory Fleet is looking for brave Novas to man their newest ship, the USS Noble Endeavor to explore the vast reaches of the Multiverse.

We're looking for NP 50 level Novas with 0 taint. That means no tainted powers. Luckily you will be able to take up to Node 5 and Quantum 5 without incurring taint. Thanks to our medical programs.

Also, You will start off with a 40 Quantum pool. Unfortunately no thematic power costs will be used.

Also this will be a first as this will be a very much plot-driven adventure game. Also each character will fill a duty position on ship.

The positions are

Captain - Taken by Dawn OOC

Away Mission Officer/Chief of Security - Taken By Justin

Chief Science Officer - Taken by Krul

Chief Medical Officer - Open

Engineer - Open

We hope to see your applications to the MXF soon!

Alrightie... that's three so far with Dawn taking Captain.

This is a little stuff I thought about last night before bed.

The Terran Commonwealth

The Terran Commonwealth is a multi-system democratic republic located around the Sol system and surrounding systems within a 100 Light Year range of Terra and Mars. Predominantly Human with a 80% representation, 19% Nova, and 1% Psiad.

The formative years of the commonwealth were chaotic, most of the initial hisory of it's formation is lost as that information was digital in form and it was destroyed through EMPs and other unknown effects of a massive world war.

Over the time between the devastating thrd world war and the subsequent recovery, Mankind's remnants on Earth and the few that were elsewhere on Nova-operated colonies started to rebuild the planet and to tap the resources of the other planets to aid in the effort. In 100 years time, the earth turned from a near completely irradiated wasteland into a new paradise, with settlements dotting the shores of the various continents of Earth.

Elsewhere, Novas expanded the reach of humanity, creating enormous gates that allow ships to jump from star to star, eventually creating a network of jump-gates. Eventually trade opened from the Terran colonies and earth, with Novas leading the way.

In NT 175, The Hermes Project began. It's goal; to build a ship capable of making FTL jumps on it's own, in NT 200, the Noble Endeavor became the first ship capable of such jumps. Also, the ship was specially equipped with a secondary drive, designed for "Sideslips" to other universes as well as other worlds. The Multiversal Exploratory Fleet was formed soon after to support the MXS-01, and to find a crew to helm her.

Other planets in the Commonwealth

Mars

Mars became Humanity's second home during the time of the Terran Reconstruction. Terraformed in the mid 21st Century, Mars became a active, blue and green marble in the night where it once was a red desert. It is mostly a Agri-planet, supplying the agricultural needs of the rest of the solar system, and it is a popular vacation site, with it's lower gravity and decent temperatures. Phobos and Deimos have long been gutted for construction material, and have been re-orbited to stable orbits at a farther distance from the planet.

Archaepelago

Located some 100 light years from Terra, Archaepelago is a water planet, with almost 90% coverage. It's large islands provided landfall for a early exploratory fleet in the early 21st century, although the intent was to stay. This fleet was long forgotten until the planet was rediscovered in NT 192. What was found was a bustling civilization, using it's two moons as a manufacturing and agricultural base, and sending goods back to the planet. The colonies had prospered, and now trade relations and membership has been offered to this lost colony, although they have yet to respond to that overture.

Landfall

The first planet colonized after the Last War, Landfall was colonized in NT 52. A Larger than Earth-Like planet, with a slightly denser atmosphere, and abundant plant life, this planet had become a second Earth, eventually hosting a population of 3 Billion Humans and Novas. Located 43 Light Years from Earth, this planet has become a central hub of trade, and has become the defacto political capitol of the Commonwealth.

In the process of designing my character, a few dozen questions came to mind, Tommy, not trying to overwhelm you, but I need some of these clarified, and I figure the others interested would also like clarification with some of these.

1. 40 quantum pool is the total you start with after character creation, or is it 40 + 2 for each dot of Quantum
  2. Which brings to mind, I assume that starting quantum is the standard of 1, is this correct?
  3. What about taking a few aberrations as flaws? Mainly I'm thinking of the minor ones which are more flavor then anything else, Anima Banner or Aberrant skin can be interesting
  4. Backgrounds, is there really any point to taking much of Backing, Followers, Influence and Resources in this setting? Do you want us to take a certain level in any of these to represent position on the ship, do we need to take followers to represent a certain number of the crew under our department, for example? Or are you going to assign certain ratings to the officers?
  5. Books: I figured the main books are allowed, but are the Mega-Attribute Books (Brainwaves, Forceful Personalities, The New Flesh) allowed? What about A Breed Apart? 2nd Generation Novas?
  6. The Space Ship apparently has the powers of Warp and Crosstime Travel, does this only warp the whole ship, or can the ship make smaller warp portals, for Away Team Missions, for example? Is there much point in a character taking these powers if the ship can provide them?

Those are the main questions on my mind at the moment.

In the process of designing my character, a few dozen questions came to mind, Tommy, not trying to overwhelm you, but I need some of these clarified, and I figure the others interested would also like clarification with some of these.

40 quantum pool is the total you start with after character creation, or is it 40 + 2 for each dot of Quantum

- You get your Quantum x 2 in extra QP still.

Which brings to mind, I assume that starting quantum is the standard of 1, is this correct?

- Starting Quantum is 3

What about taking a few aberrations as flaws? Mainly I'm thinking of the minor ones which are more flavor then anything else, Anima Banner or Aberrant skin can be interesting

- As pretty much the Novas on some planets count as aliens, as long as you have 0 taint, you are alright, but you may take Aberrations as flaws to customize your character's look. As such you would only get social issues in certain environments (like on planets that haven't seen Novas in 200 years, or places unfamiliar with Novas, or places not used to seeing "exotics".)

Backgrounds, is there really any point to taking much of Backing, Followers, Influence and Resources in this setting? Do you want us to take a certain level in any of these to represent position on the ship, do we need to take followers to represent a certain number of the crew under our department, for example? Or are you going to assign certain ratings to the officers?

- I will answer this simply, you have the full backing of the MXF (Multiversal Exploratory Fleet), and anyone serving under you is just a consideration of the genre, not a hard

number that the player should pay for. As for rank, it has it's own background.

MXF Rank

* = A fresh recruit just out of the academy (Midshipman), or a Ensign

** = A Junior officer (Lieutenant Junior Grade, Lieutenant, or Lieutenant Commander)

*** = A Senior officer with many responsibilities (Commander, Captain)

**** = A Fleet Officer who has several ships under their control (Commodore)

***** = A Fleet Commander who has an entire fleet uncer their command (Admiral)

****** = Commander and Chief of the Multiversal Exploratory Fleet

Books: I figured the main books are allowed, but are the Mega-Attribute Books (Brainwaves, Forceful Personalities, The New Flesh) allowed? What about A Breed Apart? 2nd Generation Novas?

- All of the mega attribute books are allowed. Also if you are a second generation Nova, you are STILL built like a First Generation Nova as normal for TFF. But the advantages for being Second Generation still count. This is just my way of avoiding Apotheosis.

The Space Ship apparently has the powers of Warp and Crosstime Travel, does this only warp the whole ship, or can the ship make smaller warp portals, for Away Team Missions, for example? Is there much point in a character taking these powers if the ship can provide them?

- Actually things like Warp and Teleport may still be useful, as the Ship has the power of doing this at massive range compared to the pittance of range a Nova Has. It is recommended though that whoever takes the Navigator role must take Stellar Traveler as one of their Mega Perception enhancements. Krul, perhaps you can cut and paste that here? As the Navigator interfaces with the Ship. Will explain more in another post.

Also, Hypermovement itself instead of providing 500kmh per Hyper Movement dot out of combat for every dot, it changes the multiplier. For instance Normal Flight out of combat is (Quantum+Flight)x50 kmh, that changes to (Quantum+Flight)x((1+Hypermovement)x 50) kmh.

I should add, that I will be using Dawn's device idea from A&A in this game. Also, going to Q5 or Node 5 won't incur taint in this game. Also for now I am placing a hard cap of 5 on Quantum and Node. Also, anything mundane can be purchased to 6 except for Attribute dots.

Yes, you can buy an ability to 6.

To prevent the can of worms that Improved Attribute brings, I will have it function as written, and you can only take one level of it so you can go to 6 with an Attribute. That means you can purchase it with NP, but you must use XP to improve the Attribute.

Also all of the special abilities availiable to characters in the IE setting are availiable to characters in TFF.

I think I should add this to my now growing laundry list of house rules:

While I allow Strengths and Weakesses, I do want to look over how they are taken. That means I will have oversight over that part of the construction process.

I also want people to post their character creation notes. Post your characters in the Characters section of IE with the [TFF] Prefix.

Thank you for the reply, and the information, that's what I needed.
On another note, for the other players, my concept is shaping into a high Mega-Intelligent post-apotheosis 2nd generation Nova who has the ability to become, alter and shape and create matter.. [essentially has the 3 matter powers, Chameleon, Creation and Manipulation, as well as the Incorporation power from the New Flesh], with a fer other Mega-Attributes at 1 dot.
Now, as requested, the Stellar Traveler custom enhancement.
Stellar Traveler [Prerequisite: (Teleport, Warp or Transmit) & Holographic Awareness]
Some Mega-Perceptive nova's who possess the ability to transport themselves and a perfect awareness of space-time, can enhance their holographic awareness to even more perfect travel, using their better understanding of the true nature of existance on a deeper level to focus upon their transportation powers, making them even more effective.
Effect: Nova gets +3 auto successes for out of combat warp, teleport, or similar rolls which can only be applied to extending distance. This enhancement is always on.

as long as I don't go over 1 dot in the powers.. yes, it's doable, can grow into greater control with regards to powers with experience .. and I figured that with regards to 2nd generation, it's simply background at this point.

Yep. Pretty much! :D

Also I'd like ot start in 2 weeks, this will give enough time for the other positions to fill. I'm waiting for 5 people minimum to start.

I should also clarify Second Gens and Third Gen Novas in this game.

They are built the same as First Gens.

There is NO difference from a First Gen.

Except...

1st Generation

First Generation Novas do not start with any taint for having High Node/Quantum, and cannot take powers tainted.

2nd Generation

Second Generation Novas are resistant to Taint and have the "Taint Resistant" Enhancement for free.

3rd Generation

Third Generation Novas are IMMUNE to Taint, but are restricted to a tight theme to their powers "Fire Elementalist, Telepath, etc..."

Now for a question...

Would you guys like a Free Enhancement for a Mega Attribute at every Odd Dot in your Mega Attribute? (Starting at First dot, then 3rd Dot, then 5th Dot)

I am... rather enamored of the concept, but I thought I would ask the group first.

One note on Eufiber.

1: I allow it.

2: It is a spaceworthy type of clothing, if you have a helmet with a air supply.

3: Normal humans can use Eufiber as a artificial means of creating it has been found, and the ship's engine creates enough Quantum to feed it.

4: Eufiber can take on any form the user wishes, although the default form is a one-piece jumpsuit that is also your uniform.

Seeing that it may be hard to get all the positions filled on the ship, I'm going to tighten up the positions that need filling by PCs on the ship, and I am changing the size of the USS Noble Endeavor to fit the change.

These are the positions availiable

Captain - Taken by Dawn

Chief of Security/Away Mission Officer - Taken by Justin

Chief Science Officer - Taken by Krul

Chief Medical Officer - Open

Chief Engineer - Open

I will need all of the players to take some ability to handle diplomatic matters, and everyone should have some training in dealing with firearms (energy weapons) and in melee combat (with a melee weapon or hand to hand).

I will change the first post accordingly.

After seeing the level of interest and the overall glut of games starting up, I'm going to put this on hold. I don't think I can get this off the ground, or anything for the forseeable future. That and with A&A getting started up and the number of new things going on, I think having TFF going right now would be a bad idea.

But keep your characters handy, this could change (as always) in a few months, and if interested folk take the last two positions I may open this again, and possibly start up.

I was thinking that because it does have the look that the Next Gen movies had to the Enterprise E. That and it seemed like it had room for things like hangars, escape pods, and what not.

Now I won't be using the size scale in the pic (It compares the two ship options to the Aircraft Carrier USS Enterprise) but what would be a good size in legnth? Note it'll have to be enough to accomodate the vehicles I'll be giving you guys. :D

I've changed the tag for this game as [Recruiting/On Hold] For a reason.

I am still recruiting for the last two positions (Chief Medical Officer and Chief Engineer).

Once these last two positions are filled I will remove the "On Hold" tag. After which if anyone else wishes to join, they can sign on as "Crew". As in chracters that serve under the officers on the ship.

Don't worry you'll have the same power level as the officers.

Also once the 5 positions fill, I MAY open the Navigator/Helmsman/Weapons Operator position, but it is a special position, and I might keep that filled by an NPC.

With SGA going Aberrant, the lack of prospective players, and the still troublesome level of games starting up (and some stopping because of it), I am going to shutter this idea.

I'm sorry, but it's the wrong time I think. I'll try something else, and probably not aberrant.

Archived