Aberrant RPG - X-men in Aberrant.

Tangent

Might be done to death or not creative but no matter.

I am pondering trying a X Alt (ala Ultimate Xmen and What Ifs) in the cannon Aberrant setting. Xavier and the mansion in westchester the same but, the first "class" would be the PCs. I figure it would fit well into the universe mutants = novas for the most part. Anyone done this before? Any thoughts?

Well, no Utopia for starters. Probably levels of novas, also. Some real low-level ones (5 to 10 NP), a good many medium level(15 to 30 NP) ones , and the few really tough ones.

-Powers need to be thematic. Have the players lay out what thier powers are going to be like. If everyone is bulletproof, it subtracts from the game.

-Some sort of gadeteering rules need to be created. The existing ones suck.

-Be stingy with Mega-Attributes.

-Limit Mega-Int to one at the start, and make it clear that it will only go up sparingly, if at all.

-Have complete control over taint. Funny looking novas/mutants are hallmarks of the setting.

-Make use of Dormancy. In a world on the edge of Anti-Mutant Hysteria, it is important.

-Figure a way to hanlde q-cost for powers. You can keep it the way it is, but being able to go all night, every night has its appeal.

Just some thoughts.

Would you be going for the "Humanity vrs Mutants" themes of the Marvelverse? It's kind of at odds with the "superhumans as rock stars and gods" theme of the Aberrant setting.

That said. Aeonverse Sentinels! Anyone think the Trask family has been tinkering with Sanguine Prometheus technology?

I am currently playing in a similar game. Far off from the "Canon" setting but using a lot of the themes from Aberrent and Marvel. We actually include some DC characters as well - the true "Powerhouses" of the world. The "Nova" have been replaced by "Mutants." We have just discoverd in-game that each of the young mutants in our group seems to have a small lesion or some sort of cancerous tumor in our brain. Anti-Mutant sentiment has gone through the roof, and in our game the X-Men have mostly been destroyed. Our group has become a de-facto school to replace the X-men, and we are working day-to-day on trying to build alliances with other mutants, while uncovering various government led black-ops programs (Programs that seem very much like the Directive and Proteus.) It's looking up, though. We just discovered that a certain leader responsible for the Mutant Registration Act currently before Congress is an Alien. We have not yet decided if we should blackmail or remove him.

I've been working on something similar. Instead of altering the world to fit the X-Men characters however, I've been altering the characters to fit the world.

The idea is that there is no X-Men and no Prof. X. So what would these characters be doing and how would they fit in to the aberrant world as it exists today. Some of them have taken sterotypical paths that you might have expected them to take (based on their personalitites presented in the comics) while others gome vastly different routes based on how I think growing up in the Aberrant world might have affected them.

I don't know if I'll ever get to use this material but it's a fun excercise just to sit down and work it all out.

The AntiNova/Mutant biased I plan on using. However, I want to make the world view like "If they are not working for us they are against us." So Utopia would still be seen as good guys. Most independents and Aberrants would be seen as freaks that need to be controlled and the Terats have open hostility shoot on sight orders or major military operations against them. It's not so much a changed story or world but rather I just advanced the Aberrant plot twenty years.

I do plan on the sentinels making an appearance but I have yet to decide on how that will come about. A Directive operation is what I am thinking now.

Quote:
PhoeniXForce:I do plan on the sentinels making an appearance but I have yet to decide on how that will come about. A Directive operation is what I am thinking now.
The whole "Sentinels" idea is just so open to being shut down (meaning it only looks good on paper).

IMHO, the first time a cyber-k takes over a Sentinel and has it attack a crowd of baselines the general public will shut down the program.

For that matter the first time one of them falls over and kills a crowd of baselines the public will shut down the program.

Frankenstien has been a best seller for a reason.

The Sentinel program DOES keep getting shut down...

And it starts right back up again every time a mutant does something highly public and dangerous. smile

However, I think there was a series in X-Men a while back that dealt with smaller and more intelligent human-sized Sentinels with human intelligence of a sort. Perhaps cyborgs is more along the lines of what the DIrective would unleash, complete with all their anti-mind control tech.

Considering magneto once took over reprogrammed and sent a fleet of them to attack washington and the program kept running. I would either have to suspend some disbelief, keep them top secret and no one knows who is sending them or the public just accepts them as part of life. When a guy goes on a rampage joy ride with a tank they don't stop making tanks.

But keep in mind the sentinels did get out of control which means they where never a good idea. I plan on showing that.

Quote:
PhoeniXForce:...When a guy goes on a rampage joy ride with a tank they don't stop making tanks...
They would if every tank ever made at some point decided to attack it's creators.

I remember reading a story where the sentinals were disguised as mutants. The idea was that any damage to the public that the sentinals do gets blamed on the mutants.

That works until one of them get's caught in public. Then the reverse becomes true. The sentinal program can get blamed for any damage that any mutant does.

I know power armour isn't supposed to be brought into the Aeon timeline until later, but seeing as you aren't running a canon...

In the recent Ultimate War storyline (Ultimates vrs Ultimate X-Men) SHIELD were employing troops in human sized "Sentinel" power armour. Maybe that kind of thing could be used by the Directive. Trip the suits out with psi-scramblers, sonics, eclipsidol dispensers, and other nasty anti-Nova stuff.

I'm curious though PhoenixForce, what power level are the Novas/Mutants going to be at? It seems to me that the Mean Streets level would work better for a Mutants vrs the World kind of game. Just enough power to scare the flatscans, but they still have to run if the cops show up.

Would it make sense to only allow each Player access to only one Quantum Power of Levels 2 and 3? More like the X-Men style muties?

Well I was considering the power armor option as well. A few online resources have aberrant stated armor that I could use.

Overall I still want to really try the sentinels out I can suspend some disbelief in that people have super powers so why not killer robots.

As for power levels. The Xmen according to the Ab. PG are anywhere from 75 - 100 Nova points. Granted this is after years of experience. So I consider letting them start with the standard 30 and maybe put some restrictions of Quantum, power and taint level and such.

I would be curious what everyone thinks Xavier would write up as? Quantum 8 with Telepathic Mastery X2? Link in Immobilize, Dominate, Illusion and Psychic Blast?

Right, Baldy froze an area. He didn't freeze a state. Personally, I feel that Baldy's limits are entirely deus ex machina...they exist wherever the writer wants them to. This has led to inconsistencies, especially when you take into consideration the default X world, the film world, and the Ultimates world.

Quote:
Alex Craft: I dunno. The Ultimate take on Professor X has him doing things like slap Immobilize on everyone within several city blocks. Maybe not Q8, but getting close.
No, that isn't getting close. That would be Q6, or even normal Telepathy with the area enhancement and a powermax for more range.

Telepathy already has an insane range without Mastery (it isn't that hard to find people anywhere on the planet).

Q8 Telepathy would let him, WITH A SNAP OF HIS FINGERS, contact EVERYONE on the planet and control them all, no powermax, no effort, no nothing.

If you feel the need to give him Mastery (and there is some justification for that), or even 2xMastery, I would limit the upper range stuff to when he is in Cerebo. Most of what he does can be done with Telepathy and a lot of Mega-Perception (whether or not you want to give him Telepathy + Area without a max is a different question).

Q6 lets you affect cities.
Q8 lets you affect the planet.

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
Quote:
Alex Craft: I dunno. The Ultimate take on Professor X has him doing things like slap Immobilize on everyone within several city blocks. Maybe not Q8, but getting close.
No, that isn't getting close. That would be Q6, or even normal Telepathy with the area enhancement and a powermax for more range.

Telepathy already has an insane range without Mastery (it isn't that hard to find people anywhere on the planet).

Q8 Telepathy would let him, WITH A SNAP OF HIS FINGERS, contact EVERYONE on the planet and control them all, no powermax, no effort, no nothing.

If you feel the need to give him Mastery (and there is some justification for that), or even 2xMastery, I would limit the upper range stuff to when he is in Cerebo. Most of what he does can be done with Telepathy and a lot of Mega-Perception (whether or not you want to give him Telepathy + Area without a max is a different question).

Q6 lets you affect cities.
Q8 lets you affect the planet.
Not too mention that at Q8 with Mastery2, he should pretty much be able to slice apart ANY psychic shield like a knife through water, and he has a pretty difficult time working on everyday X-Men. Rogue for example,whose two personalities are enough to foil him. Or heaven forbid, Magneto's stupid little HELMET. :P

Hmm, my first post and it's on a thread that has much to do with the current game of Aberrant that I'm running-an X-Men campaign. laugh

Rather than try and shoehorn the X-Men into Aberrant's setting, I decided to run a game that sort of melded the settings of Aberrant and the X-Men. It has more of the flavor of the movies rather than the Ultimate X-Men comics; don't get me wrong, I love the Ultimate X-Men comics, but they power levels in them are a tad extreme for my game idea.

I've only run a couple of games with the setting, and they have been fun. I'm currently trying to get the background history, rules hacks, and NPCs written up. I'll be glad to share them once I get them typed up.

My group and I played a succesful game using the Abberrant "engine" and none of the setting. We found that with a little interpretation all the rules fit nicely. Even Taint.

The really powerful mutants, like Jean, Prof X, Magneto, Storm etc. All have abberations of one kind or another. Plus Cyclops, Nightcrawler, and The Beast have bought tainted powers, since I dont see them having high "quantum".

Which as I look is the exact opposite of wat the topic was about in the first place, lol. So I apologize if I have made an error in etiquette wink

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally posted by Sphere:
Would you be going for the "Humanity vrs Mutants" themes of the Marvelverse? It's kind of at odds with the "superhumans as rock stars and gods" theme of the Aberrant setting.
Not entirerly, after all the Ultimate X-Men were on the cover of Time magazine, did the talk show circuit and were mobbed by adoring fans in Japan. So, even though the government hunted and abuse them at one time, the public is fascinated by mutants.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, I ran a X-men:age of apocolypse game with my friends about a year ago, it was great!! You can use regular starting info for your players, just remind them that all the mutants in Xmen series had predominant themes!! Second, forget those rules when making enemies that are "holier than thou" powerful. Magneto, apocolypse and the like are good bad guys, but you gotta step it up a notch considering that starting Nova's get about twice the start up than the first X-men. Compare Cyclops to a Nova with JUST Q-Bolt and equivilant taint, Cyc would get tore up. NEway, great idea, the system does need a little work on your, the DM's, part, but it flows nicely.

Doing a bit more work on the game since I still have some time before it goes live. So here is another question I would like some opinions on.

Should I replace Magneto with Mal or vice versa to be Xavier's foil, or have them both in it?

I am not sure if I could fit the brotherhood into the mix along with the Teragen. If so I might make Magneto and the brotherhood exist as a militant offshoot like Nova Vigilance.

[ramble]

I think for the X-Men universe, Magneto works well as Xavier's foil. Mal would be a little trickier, since he doesn't do the "questionable" acts that Mags does in the name of "bettering" mutantkind or subjugating baseline humanity. At least, not that we're allowed to see in the canon-world.

I think that Xavier would be hard pressed to deal philosophically with Mal, someone who is significantly older than himself and who has been a Nova for a longer span of time. Add Teras/Chrysalis to the mix and things become even more hairy.

A better fit might be a pre-Chysalis Shrapnel, who is actually more along the lines of Mag's goals and personality than Mal. Shrapnel doesn't appear to have the need for worship that Mags seems to, at least in some of his incarnations, and definitely has his socio-political and supremacist views.

[/ramble]

Both in it could be interesting. Xavier with two foils, one intent on merely seeing 'his people' rise up to their potential and totally unconcerned with baseline humanity and the other desiring 'his people' to rise up and subjugate baseline humanity. Double the number of stories you could do.

Archived