The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Matt

I agree, though Smithing isn't exactly hard to max out with a either a penchant for hunting wild creatures, or looping through towns with enough coin to buy out the leather and iron. Once I set myself to it, I had 100 Smithing very quickly.

Being able to make arrows seems logical, (since there are fletchers in the game). I'm not sure why they didn't add that as a perk of Smithing myself. It could have been down the center with crafting enchanted pieces, or even just an option of the various perks you get...once you can craft glass, you can craft glass arrows. Would have given me a reason to put perk points into the heavy side for the better arrows.

Especially if arrows were genuinely rare as they had been said to be before release

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Especially if arrows were genuinely rare as they had been said to be before release

Yeah, I have no idea where they could have even conceived of that. A couple runs through Draugr infested dungeons and you're set on Ancient Nordic Arrows before you start bumping up to the better arrows. And this is coming from someone that didn't use anything but a bow...even in H2H combat...I just plunked away. Never even came close to running out of arrows, but man, did I hoard them, thinking they were gonna run out. Since they don't weigh anything, I think I have upwards of 10,000 now.

Most are Ancient Nord, I really don't find many Iron anymore as the system leveling started putting steel/orcish on everyone. It is amazing how many arrows you can accumulate if you always buy what the shop has ;)

I one-shot my first Dragon last night. It was a normal 'Dragon'. I couldn't figure out what had happened at first, but then it started to burn up and I was like, "Oh...you're dead." I rarely get sneak attacks on dragons, so I didn't realize how significant it could be...but then again, I've been one-shotting giants for awhile now, (Mammoths still take two).

Now that I finished the main quest, its going to be hard to want to keep going with this guy to get him to 50. (Soley to get the achievement.) I did make my new thief/assassin/mage, let's see how I do on Expert.

Music aside that was pretty awesome.

Most are Ancient Nord, I really don't find many Iron anymore as the system leveling started putting steel/orcish on everyone. It is amazing how many arrows you can accumulate if you always buy what the shop has ;)

I one-shot my first Dragon last night. It was a normal 'Dragon'. I couldn't figure out what had happened at first, but then it started to burn up and I was like, "Oh...you're dead." I rarely get sneak attacks on dragons, so I didn't realize how significant it could be...but then again, I've been one-shotting giants for awhile now, (Mammoths still take two).

Now that I finished the main quest, its going to be hard to want to keep going with this guy to get him to 50. (Soley to get the achievement.) I did make my new thief/assassin/mage, let's see how I do on Expert.

My thief assassin rarely has trouble running out of high end arrows for when I need to use a bow for a kill. As has been stated before backstab + Shrouded Gloves are sick for 30x damage and one hit kills on anybody you can sneak up on (which is a lot at Sneak 70+ with muffled boots). Were I a full on archer all the time I wonder if I would need to buy arrows at all.... did you need to, or just did so to always have the best?

One shot a dragon? That tells me that playing on Adept just is too easy (not that I hadn't figured that out already). Granted some play styles help but still, that's nuts.

I hear ya on the "boredom" front, once things start getting easy it really isn't as fun. I haven't tried Master difficulty yet, but before I started getting really good with sneak and the damage multiplying perks Expert was challenging. I still have some trouble with dragons since I lack a ranged attack with real punch (no perks in archery).

I had to buy higher end arrows, I still don't find them enough to keep me stocked. I start getting nervous if I get under 200 of whatever I'm using (which is only glass atm) I won't even use a type of arrow til I get over 100 of them, and then only on hard stuff...which there isn't any...so they don't get used. I've yet to fire Daedric except at Alduin...I usually use Dwarven or Glass...though Ebony is finally becoming common enough I might switch to them.

I'm nearly level 43.

Maybe I should give up archery and become a mage ;)

Actually, if your Speech is high enough, and using the Amulet of Articulation and/or Guildmaster's Hood/Masque of Clavicus Vile (+20% better prices), I get a gold for each Iron and Nord arrow (and they don't weigh anything).

Now if only money had meaning ;) after 100k and the achievement anyway.

nice

Finished the Thieves' Guild primary Quest line, but I still have a couple side missions to do apparently since I'm not guild master yet. I've got some missions remaining on the Dark Brotherhood as well, which should be easy since sneak is pushing toward 90 ...

To become Guildmaster, you have to do a total of five of the extra jobs Vex and Devlin offer in all of Solitude, Markath, Whiterun, and Windhelm. Once you do that, Devlin will offer you a Special Job for that city. It's kind of annoying, because you can't choose which city you want to do the job in and they'll keep giving you jobs in cities you have already 'completed'. Took me forever to get Markath done - but you can just keep accepting a job, dropping it, then choosing it again, and it'll change... most of the time.

Favorite quest lines thus far have been the Brotherhood and the Guild. The payout for the final assassination was a lot more than expected, and helped to push me to hit 100k and get the gold achievement at only level 33, yay! The Thieves' Guild was just a good story and offered a lot of interesting missions as well as some fun secondary missions (though I wish that the game was smarter about assigning you jobs in the four major holds a little more evenly).

I said before that I felt like the College's quests felt a little too much like a bunch of errands, which is amusing because the that's all the Thieves' Guild is for 90% of the missions, but the expectation is there that as a thief you will go, and fetch, and return with, things that are not yours. I expected more puzzles and mage-y magic stuff from the College quests.

I kicked off a new PC (my 3rd) yesterday and tried Master difficulty as a warrior ... that ended quickly when I A) died during the turtorial crawl, and 2) died to a mudcrab. I didn't notice any increase in damage output by enemies from normal to expert, just higher life and toughness that allowed them to do more damage over time. Master had a clear increase in damage on top of higher health. Maybe I'll try again when I go back to play with a Spellsword to actually complete the main quest.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just had to upgrade my video card and got a nearly top of the line ATI card. So I just had to start up Skyrim for the first time since SWTOR came out, just to see what the graphics would look like on Ultra. WOW! I was pretty impressed before, but I see now that I was missing some serious detail.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got Skyrim a couple of days ago... I was hesitant at first, mainly because I had a bad experience with Oblivion and I am fussy about FPS type games.

I am loving Skyrim so far, even if I keep getting killed by damn Sabre-Cats!

They are horrible. They STALK you. They try to get behind you and attack with surprise.

More than once I've screamed like a little girl when a sabre-cat ambushed me.

Now I am VERY vigilant when walking the high passes. Even as an archmage. My trusty orc helper is good too.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived