Aberrant RPG - N-Stage Node (Background Enhancement)

Jackson Creed

The following is my take on the development of more powerful M-R nodes in Novas. I've seen a couple of different takes on this but most are ridiculously overpowered. I've tried to keep with the flavour of the Node mechanic without adding too much in the way of munchkin min-maxing.

N-Stage Node (Background Enhancement)

Gaining the N-Stage Node Background enhancement is only available to characters with a 6th instar Node (five dots in the Node background). It represents a significantly more highly evolved Mazarin-Rashoud node than most Novas ever develop. Only those Novas who have the ability to channel vast levels of quantum energy through their bodies ever develop an M-R node of this magnitude. Only a Nova who has reached Quantum 5 can buy an N-Stage Node and it effectively counts as a sixth dot of the Node background. At this point the Nova now has a 7th instar M-R node, with the corresponding increase in quantum recovery and quantum detection that this brings, and can spend up to twenty five quantum per turn. Unlike the previous levels of Node, this increase does not bring about an automatic increase in permanent Taint. This is because the farahcytes, which make up the physical structure of the M-R node, begin to break away from the main body of the node and distribute themselves more evenly throughout the brain. Effectively the Nova has several smaller, less invasive and damaging, M-R nodes working in perfect unison channel quantum efficiently.

Unlike other background enhancements, N-Stage Node may be purchased more than once. A second level of N-Stage Node increases the M-R node to an 8th instar node (effectively Node 7). This again increases quantum recovery and detection but this time does not increase the number of quantum points per turn. However, as the farahcytes of the node continue to redistribute themselves more evenly through the tissues of the brain, the damage caused previously by the node's previous growth actually begins to reverse. The Taint generated by the Node background is reduced to two rather than three. Effectively this reduces the Nova's permanent Taint by one.

A third purchase of the N-Stage Node background is possible, but requires the Nova to reached the next stage in quantum development before it can be taken (Quantum minimum: 6). With a 9th instar node (Node 8), the farahcytes have been uniformly distributed through the Nova's brain tissue, effectively turning the brain into a single huge node. Such a node can channel thirty quantum points per turn and the permanent Taint rating associated with Node is reduced to one (again, effectively reducing the Nova's permanent Taint by one).

The final evolution of the Mazarin-Rashoud node is possible but is, as yet, unheard of. A 10th instar node (Node 9) is composed of farahcytes distributed throughout the Nova's entire brain and central nervous system. Every nerve fiber, ganglion and neuron has become part of the M-R node; the Nova has become a giant walking node. The Nova may spend forty quantum per turn and all permanent Taint associated with the Node background is now gone (permanent Taint is again effectively reduced by one).

Overall, the Nova is also better able to handle the stresses of channeling too much quantum. A Nova with a 8th instar node cannot gain more than two points of temporary Taint due to Power Strain from a spectacular failure, an 9th instar node cannot gain more than one temporary Taint, and a Nova with 10th instar node cannot botch when maxing a power (Aberrant p149). Also, when using Rapid Recovery to regain quantum (Aberrant p150), for a Nova with a 7th instar node, the difficulty for the Stamina + Node roll is +1 for every two quantum points above the normal recovery rate. At 8th instar, the difficulty is +1 for every three quantum points, at 9th instar it is +1 difficulty for every four quantum points, and at 10th instar it is +1 difficulty for every five quantum points and the roll cannot be botched.

JC

The way I've designed this Background allows the higher levels of it to actually reduce permanent Taint, but only the Taint that was generated by the Node background (and you need to be Q6 in order to get rid of those last two points so it's not all that easy!). This seems to be the perfect background enhancement for Terats to take at first, but as you can see, as you get a more advanced Node, it becomes harder and harder to generate temporary Taint which makes gaining Chrysalis much harder. Of course, permament Taint is still very easy to get; you just by Tainted powers, Quantum etc. but while you can use Chrysalis to evolve your M-R node further, the harder it becomes to actually to enter Chrysalis again. Of course, even the least Tainted Nova with this background at maximum is still going to have been Taint 5 before a 10th instar node knocks it down to Taint 2, so you still get to keep all those lovely aberrations and social penalties.

Personally, I had the Novas of Eden in mind when I designed this background enhancement. They have vast power (Apollo Milikin is certainly Q6 at the very least) but have little of the normal Taint that would come with that power level. However, they do express a variety of minor aberrations, and some don't get on with Earth baselines particularly well, so they have clearly suffered the effects of Taint but have managed to overcome it in some fashion. Teras is a possibility but overall the whole concept of Eden goes against everything Teras stands for so it is vanishingly unlikely that they have kept their Taint down with Chrysalis. This background allows them to knock of a whopping 3 points of permanent Taint without making them into utterly inhuman monsters.

Thoughts? Critique? Suggestions?

::tongue

JC

I like this, especially as it seems that second-generation novas would be more likely to develop this since they already start out with "distributed M-R nodes".

I did spot 2 minor glitches, though:

First, you have this as only going to the 10th instar (Node 9). If this is going to function somewhat like the expanded Backgrounds (as seen in oWod Guide to the Technocracy), wouldn't there be a hypothetical 11th instar?

Second, at the 10th Instar the nova wouldn't really be one giant M-R Node; it's just that his entire nervous system would comprise his Node.

If this is expanded to take an 11th stage Instar into account, it sounds like that the nova's node would only be comprised of his entire central nervous system at Node 9. At Node 10, it'd be the nova's entire nervous system.

Just some thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em as you please. ::smile

Glad you like it. It does fit second gen Novas rather well too...

I did think of the 11th instar node (Node 10), but I decided to leave that as theoretically what Divis Mal has. It would be easy enough to add it though...

I take your point about not being a giant node, although it's just an expression rather than actual anatomical nomenclature.

JC

Don't see any obvious problems balancewise. In terms of design philosophy, however, keep in mind that "background enhancement" is not synonymous with "6+ dot background." This probably works fine as a 6+ dot background.

Re: Eden, it probably depends on how you handle "second gen" novas and taint. The APG implies that later gen novas tend to handle Taint better ( assuming they aren't scions of a line of totally tainted aberrants ), so it could just be that they don't accumulate as much taint.

Re: Eden

Possibly, although Apollo Milliken's description pretty much says that he's a 1stGen nova, & would operate under the standard rules from Aberrant.

Re: N-Stage Node

Well, the concept of "nova's entire cellular structure as a node" isn't new territory for me. I'd been toying with a power for 2ndGen novas that would gradually transform all of their cells so that they would also qualify as "node cells", so that they could literally become giant nodes in a sense. Basically it'd be a way for 2ndGen novas to attain levels of power such as that displayed by Galactus (from Marvel) or the Choshin Sisters (from the original Tenchi Muyo! anime series).

As for the 10th & 11th Node Instars, would the current 10th Instar listing be toned down if the 11th was added, or would the 11th Instar allow more impressive capabilities?

As for the 10th & 11th Node Instars, would the current 10th Instar listing be toned down if the 11th was added, or would the 11th Instar allow more impressive capabilities?

Personally I think that the 11th instar node should simply have more powerful effects than the 10th instar.

Don't see any obvious problems balancewise. In terms of design philosophy, however, keep in mind that "background enhancement" is not synonymous with "6+ dot background." This probably works fine as a 6+ dot background.

Agreed. I still think the Q5 minimum for Node 6+ and Q6 minimum for Node 8+ is appropriate.

JC

RE: Eden

It's only a quibble, but I see no reason to assume the Eden types have any way to deal with taint. IMHO ignoring the Teragen, the big "let's all get tainted" problem comes from lifestyle stress. Abby has many factions, all of whom are gunning for each other and the NPCs simply don't take time off from their "important" duties to relax and burn off temp taint.

To take that Via-soft nova who blew up the op-net; he probably took weeks off every now and then, but what he really needed to do was take months off. Part of this was the viewing of novas as a resource thing by big-business, PU, etc. The other part was hubris or ignorance.

First off let me say that I like the Background enhancement quite a bit Jackson. Very nice!

Second, I had been sitting on this for a while now, just sort of tweaking it here and there in my spare time, but after finding this thread I decided to air it out and see what others think of it.

"It" is an ability for Node (sort of like Weave for Eufiber) called "Channeling". I wanted something that would do for Node what Weave does for Eufiber and Might does for Strength, namely, expand and enhance its effects in a worthwhile manner. To be honest I never even thought of just continuing the number of Background dots, and after seeing this thread I rather wish I had. But whatever. Anyway, you'll notice as you read this that Channeling doesn't add much in terms of real power. This is intentional since it's just an ability and therefore (IMO) shouldn't grant too much in terms of a bonus. It's mostly good for mitigating the effects of node-gained taint and mental aberrations.

Channeling (base attribute is Node)

Summary: Represents a nova's increased understanding of the lump of flesh in her brain that acts as a link to the quantum world, and increases the versatility and effectiveness of the Node as a whole. A nova with Channeling has taken the time and put in the effort to understand her Node and maximize its potential. As such the nova is capable of safely "channeling" more quantum through her Node and using that quantum safely. At its highest levels, Channeling actually represents a physical change to the Node itself as it is reshaped to maximize its potential while reducing or eliminating the harmful side effects that normally accompany the later stages of Node development. A nova must have the Node Background in order to develop this ability in the first place, and she is limited to (Node rating + 1) dots in Channeling as her maximum (to a limit of 5 dots, obviously).

What Channeling does *not* do:

 Add to the nova’s Node rating for determining the number of quantum points regenerated per hour or the points that may be spent per turn

 Increase the amount of taint acquired from an over-developed Node

What Channeling *does* do:

 Acts as a “buffer” against the harmful effects of rapid recovery allowing the nova’s Node to more safely absorb quantum energy

System: A nova with Channeling may add her rating in this ability to rolls for rapid recovery. With the increase to her dice pool, the nova has a better chance of succeeding on her roll, thus reducing the possibility of acquiring Taint. Additionally when standing next to a particularly powerful source of quantum (such as the sun) a nova may add each dot of Channeling above 3 to her Node rating to determine the number of quantum points absorbed. The nova still rolls against the standard difficulties as listed in the core book, and she still acquires Taint on a failure or botch as listed in the core book. Channeling does *not* add to the amount of quantum a nova recovers naturally, it only helps when attempting to rapidly recover quantum.

 Allows a nova to increase the output of his Node, thus allowing higher than normal quantum expenditures:

System: A nova with Channeling can temporarily increase the power output of her Node, allowing her to spend more points of quantum in a turn than her Node rating would normally allow. To do this she spends 1 temporary Willpower point and rolls Node + Channeling as an automatic action. If the roll is successful, then on the following turn, the nova may spend quantum up to her normal maximum plus a number of extra points equal to her successes on the Node + Channeling roll. Failure means the nova acquires one point of temporary Taint. If the nova botches the roll, the nova acquires two points of temporary Taint. The effects listed above last for one turn, and the nova may attempt this only once per scene.

 Allows a nova to increase the sensitivity of her Node for the purposes of detecting other quantum signatures, as well as adding to the nova’s understanding of what she is sensing:

System: Channeling may be added to Node rolls for sensing sources of Quantum, with each success narrowing down the source's location, thereby granting the nova a greater than average ability to “home in” on these sources. Additionally, at the Story Teller’s discretion, once a nova has determined the location of the target (either through a Node “ping” or through use of another sense) extra successes on the Node + Channeling roll can be used to determine the nature of the source's power (i.e. a power plant vs. the sun). If the target is another nova, and the character has already determined the nova’s location, extra successes may be used to determine the relative Quantum, Node and Taint traits possessed by the target (one success for each trait). Any further successes achieved allow the nova to guess at the other nova’s quantum powers as per the Quantum Attunement enhancement.

 Grants a limited defense against the harmful effects of Node development:

System: Each dot in Channeling cancels one dot of Taint when determining Willpower’s effect against mental aberrations as the nova’s specialized Node and enhanced understanding allow her to mitigate somewhat the effects of quantum-generated brain damage. Additionally, the third, fourth, and fifth dots of Channeling subtract from the amount of permanent Taint gained from the Node Background. In no other circumstances will Channeling have any effect on Taint or its associated aberrations.

Note that the changes described as taking place at higher levels of Channeling do differ from those described in Jackson Creed’s original post. In Jackson Creed’s example the rest of the brain, and then the nervous system begins to transform into Node-cells. In the case of Channeling, the user has learned how to better use what he or she has, thus minimizing the need for growth and maximizing the potential of what’s already there. The change to the node at higher levels is similar to what Jackson’s background enhancement provides, but in no case does Channeling represent a transformation of the user’s brain/nervous system, it simply represents a specialization of the M-R Node itself and its owner’s increased aptitude at using it.

(Yes, I realize there is some overlap between the two. Seeing as how we both developed our ideas independently however that’s not too surprising. I’m posting this to see what you guys think of it, and am open to ideas for editing/reworking it. Its intended goal is to “expand”, rather than “maximize”, the abilities and uses of a nova’s Node background. If it’s failing in that, or doing too good a job, let me know.)

Re: Channeling

::huh Not bad.

I'd like to point out that the Edenites have at least a working knowledge of how to avoid accumulating Taint, as Apollo & the other resident 1stGen novas seem to have only the Taint derived from having the Quantum Trait at 5+. They're also stated (in Trinity: Asia Ascendant) as having some way to safely influence latent eximorphs so as to avoid their developing Taint upon eruption.

As for the possibility of the Edenites not having any means to reduce Taint? Going by her listed aberrations, Diana Kadmon could be Q8, if not Q10. As a doctor, it'd make sense for her to develop powers that could address Taint as a "nova malady".

• 3 weeks later...

RE: Eden

It's only a quibble, but I see no reason to assume the Eden types have any way to deal with taint. IMHO ignoring the Teragen, the big "let's all get tainted" problem comes from lifestyle stress. Abby has many factions, all of whom are gunning for each other and the NPCs simply don't take time off from their "important" duties to relax and burn off temp taint.

To take that Via-soft nova who blew up the op-net; he probably took weeks off every now and then, but what he really needed to do was take months off. Part of this was the viewing of novas as a resource thing by big-business, PU, etc. The other part was hubris or ignorance.

Just thinking on this a bit, and it occured to me, with some more knowledge and better tech, might Eden have figured out a way to accelerate the loss of temporary taint?

We know Dormancy causes the gradual loss of temp taint, so maybe somebody figured a way to put someone in a "quantum coma" or such, so they can burn it off at an accelerated rate by being even further 'dormed down' than normal. If they could get it down to, say, 1 roll a week at no penalty, than things would be alot easier.

Re: Channeling

::huh Not bad.

I'd like to point out that the Edenites have at least a working knowledge of how to avoid accumulating Taint, as Apollo & the other resident 1stGen novas seem to have only the Taint derived from having the Quantum Trait at 5+. They're also stated (in Trinity: Asia Ascendant) as having some way to safely influence latent eximorphs so as to avoid their developing Taint upon eruption.

As for the possibility of the Edenites not having any means to reduce Taint? Going by her listed aberrations, Diana Kadmon could be Q8, if not Q10. As a doctor, it'd make sense for her to develop powers that could address Taint as a "nova malady".

I thought the Nihonjin solution for avoiding taint basically boiled down to genetically testing for taint potential, and simply not erupting those who have it. Thus limiting the novas to Q4 and Node 2, at the same time.

I was thinking it would be something if a possible final evolution of the node consisted of it becoming non-physical altogether. In this case the node would exist as a quantum pattern tied to the nova's mind.

I think this reasonable for the simple fact that many bodymorphs completely eliminate the physical form of the nova, or atleast transform it beyond anything biological. How else does it then continue to allow the manipulation of quantum?

I personally see the physical node in the nova's head as something akin to a cyst that forms around the channeling point for the protection of the nova... or perhaps like a blister or callous. Nodes that are distributed evenly throughout the nova's brain, or even body, simply represent a more advanced connection to the node-pattern allowing them to merge more seemlessly. The nova's brainwave pattern and node-pattern merge more and more fully throughout their entirity.

If so, that would imply that killing the body might not destroy the nova, just force him nonphysical.

Following this train of thought leads to the idea of a telluric pattern as the soul. Which in my campaign, probably is true, but is otherwise something you'd need to think carefully about introducing.

If a nova managed to reach that level of node advancement then I wouldn't have much problem with saying he didn't need a body to survive.

Now no bosy and an empty quantum pool would be a whole 'nother argeument. Also, if the nova's brainwave pattern were suffeciently damaged/disrupted it could lead to death, as could certain powers that affect node/quantum control directly.

I would have to require the nova posses the Adaptability enhancement to allow survival beyond the destruction of the physical body. The nova being used to surviving on quantum energies already.

Re: The Nihonjin & Eden

No, the passage I'm referring to stated that the Edenites knew how to avoid accumulating Taint. The Nihonjins' Nakamura process & genetests have nothing to do with it, although the Nihonjin higher-ups are very interested in gaining the Edenites' techniques for their own novas.

I do like the "quantum coma" idea, though.

Yeah, the Nihonjin trick was only erupting people who tested as ultra low in taint predisposition. Which also meant their novas were somewhat lower in power level.

Though really, I don't have a huge problem with the idea that the Edenites have figured out a way to eliminate taint. They have supergeniuses, they have knowledge of what taint is and does, and they have reason to want to do something about it. The problem in the 21st century leading to the Aberrant War was no one had all three. The Teragen obviously had other things to do with taint than clean it up. Project Proteus knew about what taint did, but didn't have too many mega-smart novas working on the problem, IIRC ( were any of the Bahrain researchers novas? ). Everyone else didn't know there was a problem.

The part about Edenite novas "avoiding" Taint was from the POV of a psion in Trinity, if I'm remembering the passage correctly. From a psion's POV, yes, the Edenite novas aren't the tentacled messes that the Aberrants are. But this just tells me that they've developed Chrysalis, maybe from the Teragen or independantly, or have Taint Resistance. They aren't without Taint though, the book mentions that the Edenite novas still have wierd things about them, like strange skin colors and such, so they haven't eliminated Taint. They've just got a better handle on it. Plus, I'm sure they've learned from the mistakes of the previous generation, and are careful about using their powers. The less they use their powers, the less Taint they build up.

You also have to remember that The Colony's Aberrants are born with high Taint, from tainted nova inbreeding and such. The Edenite novas don't seem to breed, but if they did, I doubt they'd have Taint-buttered monstrosities. To a psion, or anyone in Trinity, the two nova types would seem entirely seperate from each other.

Maybe they've all gained the Taint Resistance Merit from the APG, which they learn early on (buy at character creation, IOW) and they all train to learn Mega-Int + Taint Resistant enhancement.

Plus, if Divis Mal's q-wave in 1998 only affected Earth's populace (which is likely, since the Qin and Chromatics don't mention any of their species turning into novas 120 years prior) then it's possible that the new planet they're on is not predisposed to high Q energies. In other words, it wouldn't be like Earth after the 2030s when the Q-energies rise and make novas increasingly Tainted (and have higher starting Q). On the other hand, I'm sure that whatever pockets of space are "colonized" by the Colony are high in Taint-friendly (can't think of another term) Q-energy.

That's a theory anyway. I remember someone else bringing up the theory of different worlds or areas of space having different effects from quantum and subquantum forces. Earth seems to have gotten the short end of that stick for gaming purposes...in the span of 200 years, there were at least three different changes to the quantum and subquantum medium: the Hammersmith wave, the Galatea wave, and the Venezuela wave, plus any changes to the Galatea wave that were performed during the Nova Age/Aberrant War (this is alluded to having happened in Asia Ascendant).

My head hurts now.

Archived