Aberrant RPG - Making a "Costumed Adventurer"

Cytorak Ruby

Since it's a more "Four Color" kind of hero, costumed adventurers are not highly represented in Aberrant. A player in my group started leafing through Mutants and Masterminds, and now he's hellbent on making something like Batman in my Aberrant game.

What would be the best way to create the Dark Knight knockoff in the world of Aberrant?

What would be the best way to create the Dark Knight knockoff in the world of Aberrant?
Mega-Intelligence with Analyze Weakness and Engineering Prodigy. Mega Wits, with probably Enhanced Initiative. One dot of Mega-Dex with Catfooted. And a lot of time to make gadgets. For these purposes, you would probably be better off using the Adventure! rules for gadgets, rather than the Aberrant ones, as the A! rules allow you to upgrade standard equipment, which seems to be more Batman's thing.

Bats (for abby): Primary Skills are: Throwing, MA, Stealth, Science 5, Eng 5, Athletics, Tradecraft 5, Investigation 5, Streetwise 5

Resources 5

Contacts ?

Mega-Dex (Catfooted)

Mega-Stamina (??)

Mega-Perception (That Creepy Feeling)

Mega-Int (Find Weakness, Prodigies: Scientific & Engineering)

Mega-Wits (Quick, maybe Lie detector)

Mega-App (Face of Terror)

Psi-Shield 1

Willpower 10

Q1

Suggestion: Drop the Prodigies and buy them with exp, maybe also a mega or two. Go heavy into skills during creation. But mostly he's pretty doable with 30.

Mega-Attributes are the answer. They represent higher-than-normal capacity in an Attribute, which most costumed adventurers possess.

The Mega-Physicals are essential if he's going to be punching thugs up. The Mega-Mentals could also be extremely useful. Based on his personality and nature, some Mega-Socials might not be bad.

As for powers, go with stuff like Sensory Shield, Psychic Shield, Intuition, Premonition, Boost, and Body Modifications.

Assuming your trying to writeup Batman. . . I'd give him 1 each in Mega Dex and Mega Stamina. Enhancements including most of the accuracy ones, Durability, Cat Footed. Mega mentals, I'd say he has all of them at least 3 dots ( maybe higher ), with enhancements like Blindighting, Investigative Prodigy, mosts of the extra action ones, stuff like that. Mega socials. . . I agree he should have Face of Terror, its just, he seems more a Mega Cha person. But, thats not hugely important.

Powerwise, yeah, the low level Shield abilities, Intuition. Stuff like that. Maybe Claws to cover his martial arts skills.

Strictly speaking, if you were doing Batman for Abberrant, he wouldn't have any powers or enhancements, just a ridiculous number of skills and exotic (albeit mundane) gadgets. Failing that, a daredevil would be the second best option...

But, if you're hell-bent on doing him as a nova, I'd go with most of the suggestions so far. Body Modifications and Claws don't really apply (they just don't fit). Also, I'd add Physical Prodigy, Perfect Balance, Eidetic Memory, Commanding Presence, Overwhelming Presence, and Inspiration (okay, so I'm a Dark Knight Returns fan).

Statwise, he should be near fives across the board. He is near physical perfection, and his mind is second to none. Socially, he could be 3's; he's above here, but these aren't as important to him.

Resources, Contacts (he always seems to know someone who knows someone) and Allies should be maxed, Cipher should be up there (3?), and he should have some Influence as well (Wayne Industries has some political power as well). Keep in mind that, if you go the full-Batman thing and give him a Robin, that he tends to treat Robin as an ally rather than a follower. Commissioner Gordon, BTW, is more of an ally than a contact.

When it comes to skills, bear in mind that he's a world-class combatant (Martial Art, Melee, Firearms, Endurance, Resistance), a damn good scientist (Academics, Engineering, Medicine, Science), a very successful industrialist (Bureaucracy, Biz, Rapport, Subterfuge, Command), and great at parties (Style, Etiquette). He's also very stealthy (Stealth, Intrusion, Stealth) and usually gets an answer no matter what (Intimidation, Interrogation). Throw in Pilot and Streetwise, and you're good...

A power that definitely applies to Bats is Luck, with Psi-Shield worth debating. I'd really debate Transmit (Shadows), but that's just me.

If I were spending the base 30 NP, 7NP would go for stats, 3 for backgrounds, and another 5 on abilities. I'd pick up one dot each Mega-Dex, Mega-Int, Mega-Charisma, Mega-Wits, and either Mega-Charisma or Mega-Appearance. With the remaining 3NP, I'd probably buy some of the listed powers (at least a dot or two of Luck and one of Psi-Shield). Bear in mind that Bats is one of the most experienced characters (second only to Supes), so there's going to be a lot that he can do that a new nova just can't...

FR

Daredevil would be a necessity. Batman has skills and abilities well in excess of what the mundane rules for the Aeonverse allow.

Batman also has 65 years of experience (let's see, 65 years at basically ten sessions a month, that's 65x10x12=7800 sessions@3 XP per session, that's 23,400 XP, assuming no campaign resets)...Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but you hit the problem of trying to do a VERY experienced character as a beginning character. You're going to have to figure out how to do a beginning character that's Batman...

Bear in mind that Bats started off as just a rich guy with some investigative and brawling skills, and it took a while for him to become the Dark Knight that we know and love...

TS

In his early issues, he had the power to blow stars out with his breath, and move planets by pushing them.

Superman has actually become less powerful.

Actually, Superman was originally presented as a villain in his first story arc called "The Reign of Superman" or somesuch. The story apparently bombed and he was reintroduced as a hero. Up until the forties or fifties Superman couldn't even fly and was only bullet proof, and he could run about as fast as a "speeding locomotive". Hence the tagline for the old 1950's cartoons "Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, faster than a speeding locomotive", etc. etc. It wasn't until the 50's that Superman's powers started expanding to keep pace with ever more powerful technology in the real world, and tougher heroes and villains in comics. It was during the 70's and (I think) the 80's that he reached his zenith of power, and yes, he has since been reduced in power since that time. Originally however, the man of steel was "literal" rather than figurative description, and his being able to leap tall buildings in a single bound was pretty useful considering he couldn't fly at the time.

Re: Supes

However, as a number of commentarians have noted, half of infinity is still a big number. Supes is still a pretty powerful character; as the villains and other entities have also been been reduced in power, the power reduction doesn't matter as much...(Supes, in fact, was why I mentioned "campaign resets" before...)

FR

Batman also has 65 years of experience (let's see, 65 years at basically ten sessions a month, that's 65x10x12=7800 sessions@3 XP per session, that's 23,400 XP, assuming no campaign resets)...Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but you hit the problem of trying to do a VERY experienced character as a beginning character. You're going to have to figure out how to do a beginning character that's Batman...

Bear in mind that Bats started off as just a rich guy with some investigative and brawling skills, and it took a while for him to become the Dark Knight that we know and love...

TS

Its more than just a matter of how much XP he's spent. Batman routinely does things that exceed the limits of a 10 dice att + skill pool. Consider his regular "vanish in plain sight" stunts, or the swinging between rooftops.

You simply can't cover his capabilities without using Daredevil rules. Which, given the whole *point* of the daredevil rules is to cover "unpowered" adventurers of extraordinary skill and luck. . .

Re: Supes

However, as a number of commentarians have noted, half of infinity is still a big number. Supes is still a pretty powerful character; as the villains and other entities have also been been reduced in power, the power reduction doesn't matter as much...(Supes, in fact, was why I mentioned "campaign resets" before...)

FR

Not exactly half of infinity. For one thing, by the time the Crisis occured, Superman was already considerably down from his 60s peak. Being "only" able to use planets as thrown weapons, and such. *cough*

...Up until the forties or fifties Superman couldn't even fly and was only bullet proof, and he could run about as fast as a "speeding locomotive"...
Exactly. And if someone wanted to build a 'Superman' type character nowdays, we'd understand he would be able to fly. The early years don't really matter, it's how the character works now that's important.

Heh. I just realized that it's far easier to create a mini-Supes than a mini-Bats...Especially when you realize that A! adds in Nemesis, Reputation, and Sanctum backgrounds, and he only has 13 Transformation points...

FR

30 Nova points?

+4 Mega-Strength

+1 Mega-Stamina

+1 Forcefield

+1 Flight

with 9 points left over for various stats.

It's far from perfect but it's a start.

Archived