Adventure!: In Search of Inspiration - Welcome to the Aeon Society

BlueNinja

Re: Name

Fair enough. I forgot, but Joshua wouldn't have. What should he have called him? I'll edit the post.

Re: Cloak of Dread

Actually, Joshua is definitely feeling the effects of the Cloak. But he's pretty well trained, too, and he's reasonably confident he can take Li-Shen and Asura if he has to, and also knows it's just an act. More importantly, he has the willpower to assert himself over his gut reaction of terror. And since I haven't been asked for a roll, I'm letting Joshua handle the situation the way I think is appropriate.

I understand that it compromises Li-Shen if characters act like they're not scared of him, but it would also be completely out of character for Joshua to lose control (or really, to be afraid at all). Keep in mind also that you're getting the desired effect from every NPC in the game.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Name

Fair enough. I forgot, but Joshua wouldn't have. What should he have called him? I'll edit the post.

Actually, Joshua is pretty frightened. But he's pretty well trained, too, and he's reasonably confident he can take Li-Shen and Asura if he has to, and also knows it's just an act. More importantly, he has the willpower to assert himself over his gut reaction of terror. And since I haven't been asked for a roll, I'm letting Joshua handle the situation the way I think is appropriate.

Same here, you'll have to forgive my limited knowledge of the setting and ruleset. I figured BN would have made rolls and told of my impending failure ( as he so wonderfully has so many times :-D ) in which case Jackson would perhaps react different.

THough again I add, jsut as you are superpowered and nasty in this game, we also are inspired characters and things may be stretched further in our favor, considering we know you and have bonded of late. If you waste Mina or Joshua, yeah Bryce won't be a calm collected dude. haha

I only argue this point for your benefit sky. If your point is that you and your cat are more powerful, willful, scary, talented, inspired, and nasty then we are...I concede the point and whole heartedly agree. I'm a professor not a ninja! heh.

Hrm...Well I just looked it up and intimidation is resited with a Willpower roll, so if BN feels like getting out 20 dice for Asura and 16 for Li and rolling them against y'all's WP I guess he can, but i didn't really want this to become player vs. player. Franky Im looking forward to spoiling you all on the Silk Road once Li-Shen gets out of costume and has a shower, but it wouldn't be right for him to back down from *his* "in character" perspective:

Scary Demon: "Oh, well, thanks for jumping in there folks! Who wants tea?"

Just doesn't quite work, and there is NO WAY he is taking his mask of until safely back in his vault...he needs to keep up the show for all the onlookers in the train (who should al be running away to the back of the train given the books description of intimidation's "passive" effect...).

SkyLion, what should the other PCs call Li-Shen while he's in costume?

Hmm....yanno, thats the one thing I never really decided on. For the U Dragon and his his Triad (Dragon's Coil Tong? I know Tongs and Triad's are different, but it seems like in A! that the UB would actually be behind all of them so it probably doesn't matter) he is supposed to be somewhat nameless...like an avenging spirit.

I guess i need to think about it a bit. Rha's al Ghul (The Demon's head) is already taken. Dragon'sBane is too campy for Li. What about just "The Demon"? I can't tell if thats too simplistic or not, sionce Im too close to it to tell. What does that sound like to you kids?

As far as the results of a possible player versus player roll, it wouldn't be Intimidate v. Willpower. I would just spend a Willpower to "resist the instinctual effect" of Li-Shen's Cloak.

Of course, Li-Shen may not even wish to cause that instinctual effect in the first place. Joshua's the kind of person who most smart people try to make him feel as safe as possible. ::sly

Re: code name

Hmm, how about the Red Demon?

Since it's still up in the air, I'll just have Joshua say "my friend" or something. Although really, if we're going to be rolling together and Joshua and Bryce aren't wearing costumes, we shouldn't expect your identity to stay secret for long.

As far as the results of a possible player versus player roll, it wouldn't be Intimidate v. Willpower. I would just spend a Willpower to "resist the instinctual effect" of Li-Shen's Cloak.

Of course, Li-Shen may not even wish to cause that instinctual effect in the first place. Joshua's the kind of person who most smart people try to make him feel as safe as possible. ::sly

There is nowhere it says that players can't use their powers on each other Phoenix. In this case it wouldn't be fair to deny Li the use of his intimidation dice pool, anymorso than it would be to take away Joshua's knacks in a fight. Regardless though, I thik Li might even be able to give Joshua a run for his money...how is he going to fight when he is held motionless in the air?

Now Now girls...you're both pretty. Can we stop the OOC pissing contest and get it going IC. If you guys want to fight...fight, decide it Sky or Pheonix and lets roll punks!!

As for your secret Id, its LI-SHEN all the time...how does it feel now Esteban?!?! haha

Now whos pissing on whom?? ::tongue

You'ld better not...

Actually i was just hanging out with BN and mentioned you were mad that Michal disregarded your secret ID. He said it was your fault for coming into SGE *not* in your secret ID and introducing yourself as Simon...thats just how he knew you. So either you should have just come in wearing the Mask, or you should have made it A POINT with him (Michal and BN) that you intended the charcters identity to be secret. A point that I being very clear about with Li-Shen now...

And anways we are waiting for BN...

Willpower will only help you if you spend one for some kind of a success, though Im pretty sure Li-Shen and Asura both have the highest willpowers here.,,

He wasn't trying so much to intentionally scare his teammates, I only brought it up because this is Adventure! its supposed to be over-the-top (in many ways moreso than even Novas...) and everyone seemed rather Blase'...

The description of Cloak of Dread implies that it works against those you consider opponents. The effect is supposed to be more effective against Mooks and such, and IIRC it says in the book that many Knack effects are less effective against the Inspired.

Actually, Joshua is definitely feeling the effects of the Cloak. But he's pretty well trained, too, and he's reasonably confident he can take Li-Shen and Asura if he has to, and also knows it's just an act. More importantly, he has the willpower to assert himself over his gut reaction of terror. And since I haven't been asked for a roll, I'm letting Joshua handle the situation the way I think is appropriate.

I understand that it compromises Li-Shen if characters act like they're not scared of him, but it would also be completely out of character for Joshua to lose control (or really, to be afraid at all). Keep in mind also that you're getting the desired effect from every NPC in the game.

Were Li an opponent, I'd ask for either Willpower rolls, or to pay a point to overcome the effect (which is something a Mook can't do).
Hrm...Well I just looked it up and intimidation is resited with a Willpower roll, so if BN feels like getting out 20 dice for Asura and 16 for Li
Bzzz! Thanks for playing. ::laugh It doubles your Ability score, not your dice pool, and I actually already rolled for the effect on the Mooks. (6 and 7 successes).
Just doesn't quite work, and there is NO WAY he is taking his mask of until safely back in his vault...he needs to keep up the show for all the onlookers in the train (who should al be running away to the back of the train given the books description of intimidation's "passive" effect...).
Actually, almost none of the other people in the train even got a look at you - the gunfire had a wonderful effect of making them hide. But few of them will look out a window more than once. ::wink

The description of Cloak of Dread implies that it works against those you consider opponents. The effect is supposed to be more effective against Mooks and such, and IIRC it says in the book that many Knack effects are less effective against the Inspired.

It actually doesn't say that knacks are less effective against the Inspired...Inspired vs. inspired is what the game is all about!. It is *more* effective against mooks but thats cuz they're mooks. Its not *less* effective against anyone else...

Also, might I add that there is NOTHING that implies it works against opponents only...go ahead and reread the actual description and the system...it doesn't say "affects opponents" It says "affects others" and even makes note that animals in the area flee etc....That whole thing about summoning up the darkness of ones soul I think says it pretty nicely! ::happy

Were Li an opponent, I'd ask for either Willpower rolls, or to pay a point to overcome the effect (which is something a Mook can't do).

Again...I humbly remind you that you incorrect about the "opponent" thing. Especially considering Li and Asura are in Mina, Joshua and Butler's faces right now...

Bzzz! Thanks for playing. ::laugh It doubles your Ability score, not your dice pool, and I actually already rolled for the effect on the Mooks. (6 and 7 successes).

Yanno!... ::blink ...you are right...i was reading that wrong... So Asura isn't as far ahead of Li with Dice pools of 15 and 13 respectively, though with an inspiration point Aura does go to ....30 dice ::ohmy

Actually, almost none of the other people in the train even got a look at you - the gunfire had a wonderful effect of making them hide. But few of them will look out a window more than once. ::wink

Oh sure...let them watch...Asura should claw at the windows of anyone watching...scaring them silly and leaving some gigantic claw marks in the train so people don't think the delerious passengers had too much to drink.

In fact...now that i think of it, some crazy reports might just reach Mercer's ears now! ::happy

There is nowhere it says that players can't use their powers on each other Phoenix. In this case it wouldn't be fair to deny Li the use of his intimidation dice pool, anymorso than it would be to take away Joshua's knacks in a fight.

Very true. I never denied you the use of Cloak of Dread, I just said Joshua was going to resist it. And then Blue Thunder said that if it was levelled against me, I could spend a Willpower to resist. Which is what I proposed.

Regardless though, I thik Li might even be able to give Joshua a run for his money...how is he going to fight when he is held motionless in the air?

Actually, I've been wondering about that. Are you using Phantom Hands for that effect? If so, I think Joshua would probably be able to resist being lifted using Martial Arts or Athletics; no major feat, with his high dice pools in those.

At any rate, I think you resolved it well with your last post.

Actually, I've been wondering about that. Are you using Phantom Hands for that effect? If so, I think Joshua would probably be able to resist being lifted using Martial Arts or Athletics; no major feat, with his high dice pools in those.

Yeah. In WoD Grappling is only based off of Str. In the Eonverse grappling and other maneuvers can be either brwal or martial arts. So I guess he would be able to squirm out of a clinch. Turns out Lis best weapon against Joshua or those like him really wouold be a staredown, since its intimidation vs. intimidation...

At any rate, I think you resolved it well with your last post.

Thanks. Shade was concerned that I was getting out of hand. I just felt like Li wouldn't want to back down because HE is "in character" ya know? But decided that youu two would be better at convincing her to join us than his scary ass.... ::wink

A few quick things before we start moving the plot right along.

Is Li going to introduce Azura (openly) to the rest of the PCs?

Other than the one Triad member Joshua dragged on board, are you guys going to do anything to the rest of them near the tracks?

Is there anything else of important before the Silk Road gets moving back towards Vegas to the let the commercial train also through to Vegas?

I was hoping someone else would grab at least one more.

Its not like they are getting up anytime soon either...you guys can grab as many as we need, and i'll have Li grab a few more with his TK. However, the train and all evidence should be gone by the time they wake up.

I was busy swooning the lady, besides these guys aren't my eternal enemies. heh. One seems good enough for me!!

I think we're moving on, if Mina / Butler are welcomed by Li-Shen.

i'll be getting to that a bit later in the evening...

((and riddles with typos and errors now that I read through it all posted. ::sad But it took forever to write ::wacko and I have work in the morning... ::indifferent ))
It looks awesome. ::biggrin And yes, there's only one section of track between Barstow and Vegas, which means only one train can go through there about every six hours. The scheduling has to be done very, very carefully.

most definitely! I just wanted everyone (read: Tooho ::tongue ) a chance to post after my long one before I continued...

On second thought...what do y'all think? I mean between Josh and Li Im pretty sure we can get the info out of a few extra-type goons.

Seeing the pace of the game, perhaps we should just have Bn do it naratively so we can move on to the more fun RPing with the player characters. BN if you choose to, you can narrate the interrogation and fast forward to breakfast the next morning, where I shall detail the splendors of the arboretum... ::ultracool

On second thought...what do y'all think? I mean between Josh and Li Im pretty sure we can get the info out of a few extra-type goons.
Well ... after pulling up character sheets to make die rolls ... allow me to point out that this mook's Willpower outdoes the highest Interrogation dice pool among you - and that's Jackson, not Li or Joshua. You could intimidate the hell out of him, but there's absolutely no guarantee that you'll be able to tell if hes telling you the truth. Would you guys still like to try your hand at it, or perhaps take them back to town and see if you can get a small favor from the cops?

So that you guys have something to do while I'm stuck on various planes and airports over the next day and a half:

The Triads are very small in number right now. There's only a half dozen of them, holed up in a house on the edge of Chinatown. The Vegas Mafia families have been cutting into their numbers whenever they travel in groups of less than five, so these guys were supposed to show up as reinforcements. In Los Angeles, they control all of Chinatown there, and their local gang leader, a man who only goes by Wu, apparently owns a mansion not too far from that of some of the more wealthy movie moguls. The mook doesn't know anything about Wu beyond that, but he does know that there's a big Chinese theater that does smuggling out of the back and the basement.

You're still in Vegas (as you had to get back there to be able to pass the other, public, train) but you can head to LA with only about a day's notice.

• 2 weeks later...
((Around this time in the conversation the group has nearly reached the bathhouse. If Mina or the others would like to have any final words, now is the time. Otherwise let me know and I can post a description of the Arboretum for Breakfast chat...or do we want to say this convo happened the next morning? Not sure what the best way to proceed is. Do we really want to deal with the Vegas Triads or should we get to the more meaty stuff BN has waiting in Los Angeles? This Vegas detour has taken forever!!!))
The train will have to go back to Vegas to allow the regular train to 'pass' you. You could deal with the Triad members there yourself, or turn their safehouse over to the "clean" cops, or turn the safehouse over to the Vegas Mafia - or just ignore them and continue on to LA.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The train will have to go back to Vegas to allow the regular train to 'pass' you. You could deal with the Triad members there yourself, or turn their safehouse over to the "clean" cops, or turn the safehouse over to the Vegas Mafia - or just ignore them and continue on to LA.
Since no one has responded to this, and I'd like to get the action moving again, I will assume you're going to ignore the Vegas Triad members, seeing as how they're fewer in number than the group on the train, and going to LA the next day.

Since no one has responded to this, and I'd like to get the action moving again, I will assume you're going to ignore the Vegas Triad members, seeing as how they're fewer in number than the group on the train, and going to LA the next day.

We can stop in Vegas. I must have missed that post. I am all for us returning to Vegas and cleaning up our mess. Then move on to LA. Being that it has been mostly Tooho and I. I'll wait to hear her opinnion. Other than that, lets ROLL!

lol double gulp and wide eyes... ::laugh

I'd say go ahead and clean up LA since that post is up so they can't reinforce Las Vegas before we return there.

So, my vote.. LA now, Vegas clean-up before we move on to the next den of vipers. How about you, Phoenix and Sky? Your opinion?

Oh, and I'm starting a new job next week, but I'll try hard to keep up with the posting. ::sly ::biggrin

Archived