Adventure!: In Search of Inspiration - Welcome to the Aeon Society

BlueNinja

Remember that even though they are his menagerie, Li IS Asura's mentor and the cat a loyal folllower. No matter what though they will be survivors together...

You mean like Brutus and his mentor Julius? Judas and Jesus, Arnold and Washington and, why not, Edmund and Gloucester (King Lear) or Anakin and Obi-Wan?

Together no matter what, yesss... ::sly

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean like Brutus and his mentor Julius? Judas and Jesus, Arnold and Washington and, why not, Edmund and Gloucester (King Lear) or Anakin and Obi-Wan?

Together no matter what, yesss... ::sly

Why you gotta come 'round starting S#!^ man!!!! ::tongue

If I wanted a backstabbing enemy I would have bought Nemisis...oh wait...

Oh and the statement about surviving together comes from their twin virtues and refers to their "past-lives" together also.

That's the section that annoyed me. To me that reads as manipulating a background to add power to your character. The problem I see other than buying background points with a background is that neither you nor Blueninja seem to see a difference between an ally and a follower. I see a huge difference in the element of control and accessibility. For example, one of my best friends is a cinematographer, known him since birth. Sure I'd do a lot for him, within reason, and vice versa but he definitely isn't following me all the time nor is he a "yes man", we have our arguments every once in a while Even in character its clear that the relationship between Li and Asura is one where Li is the boss:

Your cinematographer friend is just that...a good friend. Allies are people who are allied with you on the same mission. Not just friends but partners-in-crime, bosom buddies, etc. If you and your friend had thrown in lots as business partners or were united in some purpose you would be allies. Consider that Batman has Robin (Dick Grayson). Batman is Robins mentor, but Robin is way more powerful than a follower, has his own life, goals and motivations and occasioanllly is at odds with bats or runs off to do his own thing (finally graduating to a separate allied hero Nightwing). This is fine, though Asura is unlikely to graduate to spearate hero status over the course of the game.

He follows Li because

1. Li is way smarter

2. Li is way more educated and experienced in the modern world

3. As an animal he wouldn't be trusted without a human "handler."

Although it may have seemed to others that the introduction was a show of Lis dominance, it was actually just part of the performance. By seeming to "control" the tiger Li adds to his persona AND used the scene to test others reactions...Its all part of the show folks. In actuallity Asura was in on the whole act willingly...If people think he's just a tiger or menagerie they will underestimate him.

*Sigh*

Im still feeling a bit off put by this whole business. Mostly questioning Li's fit for the mood and tone we are all going for...

I'm not in favor of changing anything now, even if Asura is a bit of a stretch. I think SkyLion started with the idea of Asura as a character and tried to convert him into the Adventure! rules, instead of thinking of ways to exploit the rules and coming up with character-based pretenses. Besides, although he may have not entirely succeeded in coming up with a rules mechanism to represent Asura's abilities and motives, he definitely succeeded in creating an interesting sidekick and foil to his character. At this point, I would be sincerely sorry to see the big cat leave the game, because I'm interested to see how SkyLion and Blue are going to play him. Besides, if BlueNinja is happy with SkyLion's background assignments, I certainly am too.

Can we see the back of this argument soon? I'm not saying anything as a moderator because everyone's been so polite about it, but I think it's a little late to be talking about it now that the game has started. 13 Transformation points is plenty, and I think with four players, none of us is going to be overshadowed by any one player character.

I'm not in favor of changing anything now, even if Asura is a bit of a stretch. I think SkyLion started with the idea of Asura as a character and tried to convert him into the Adventure! rules, instead of thinking of ways to exploit the rules and coming up with character-based pretenses. Besides, although he may have not entirely succeeded in coming up with a rules mechanism to represent Asura's abilities and motives, he definitely succeeded in creating an interesting sidekick and foil to his character. At this point, I would be sincerely sorry to see the big cat leave the game, because I'm interested to see how SkyLion and Blue are going to play him. Besides, if BlueNinja is happy with SkyLion's background assignments, I certainly am too.

Can we see the back of this argument soon? I'm not saying anything as a moderator because everyone's been so polite about it, but I think it's a little late to be talking about it now that the game has started. 13 Transformation points is plenty, and I think with four players, none of us is going to be overshadowed by any one player character.

Sorry Pheonix, the controversy just takes a bit of my enthusiasm. Id like to wrap this up to but Id like to hear some feedback from BN and Madcat also.

I have another two-fisted character I could play who would probably fit in better with the lighter atmosphere/characters that the game is shaping into, but keep in mind the party would lose its iron willed mesmerist...

In any case, BN thought the cat might overshadow Li and it is seeming to be the case...not something I wanted. (though IC and OOC I love the big kitty)

Except, Asura is an ally, not menagerie. I have been moved enough by Zeke's case to reassign Asuras nature for a more unique and independant perspective, which also fits well with my idea and keeps it rich rather than two dimensional...I mean, whats cooler? Having a menagerie of tigers that are your peons or being allied with a Tiger-King?

Anyway, what do you think BN? I am proud of Li and Asura and Id rather bring in someone new who might fit the lighter tone, than have to alter or nerf them and their connection. I don't want Zeke or anyone to feel compromised is my main concern. Ideally we are all stoked about each other's ideas and make it fun for everyone.

And an apology to all for derailing the thread.

Sorry Pheonix, the controversy just takes a bit of my enthusiasm. Id like to wrap this up to but Id like to hear some feedback from BN and Madcat also.

I have another two-fisted character I could play who would probably fit in better with the lighter atmosphere/characters that the game is shaping into, but keep in mind the party would lose its iron willed mesmerist...

In any case, BN thought the cat might overshadow Li and it is seeming to be the case...not something I wanted. (though IC and OOC I love the big kitty)

I dont know realy. I mean, I have Rembrant and the other monkeys, and while they are not Inspired, i count them as followers. IMHO menagerie is for animal companions, the monkeys and Rembrant is more of servants and tools for Henrich than they are companions.

I would probably say, tone him down a bit, not in power or stats, but in action. SkyLion, your character is the main player after all. Thats part and parley why I left Rembrant and the others outside, I could have, quiet literarly, made the place into a monkey house, but it would have 1. spoiled the mood, 2. overshadowed my character. He would not be the mad scientist we all know and... um, well, you know, he would have been the monkey handler.

I suggest that the cat simply behaves a bit you know, letting everone get used to its presence and stuff like that and then I am sure that we can do some cool scenes with it. Personaly I worry more about overplaying Henrich than the cat though.

Err...

Li returns the frenchman's obvious disdain with a raised eyebrow. "Really now, Mr. Charles...if indeed that is your real name...We are all here because the man of the hour and perhaps the century has invited us. I am sure that you, like all of us are the best at what you do, which so far has been to deflect any inquiry away from yourself..."

Not only is Lupin a master bluffer (with even Master of Dissimulation as a knack) but it just so happens that Felicien Charles IS his real name, as given by his surrogate mother. He hasn't been deflecting any inquiries and certainly hasn't given any reason to believe so. His glares are only due to the fact that Li is eating without his hands which is most disconcerting. Just close your eyes and imagine it...

Err...

Not only is Lupin a master bluffer (with even Master of Dissimulation as a knack) but it just so happens that Felicien Charles IS his real name, as given by his surrogate mother. He hasn't been deflecting any inquiries and certainly hasn't given any reason to believe so. His glares are only due to the fact that Li is eating without his hands which is most disconcerting. Just close your eyes and imagine it...

Sorry...I hope I ddn't offend you. He doesn't know that it's his real name or not. But Li is very smart and perceptive. He just noticed Lupin's "modesty" about his station. Li was merely pointing out that if he were really so "boring" Max wouldn't have invited him. As for being a bit disconcerting, well...he specializes in that!

I did close my eyes and imagined how Li would react to someone glaring at him at the dinner table. Again..no offense.

Sorry...I hope I ddn't offend you. He doesn't know that it's his real name or not. But Li is very smart and perceptive. He just noticed Lupin's "modesty" about his station. Li was merely pointing out that if he were really so "boring" Max wouldn't have invited him. As for being a bit disconcerting, well...he specializes in that!

Uh...

So you'd go to just anyone asking if they've stated their real name? If Li would like more details he could ask, he's actually been pretty forthright. He does import/export art objects from or for elite "clients" and you don't get any more elite than Mercer. He has inherited the "business". I'm not offended, I just think its using ooc knowledge in character.

Note, even if Li pried with questions he would no doubt believe Lupin is an arts dealer no matter how smart or perceptive, that's part of his knack. There's no reason at all for Li to believe in any deception, false modesty or other forms of subterfuge. Especially not when there isn't any present.

Uh...

So you'd go to just anyone asking if they've stated their real name? If Li would like more details he could ask, he's actually been pretty forthright. He does import/export art objects from or for elite "clients" and you don't get any more elite than Mercer. He has inherited the "business". I'm not offended, I just think its using ooc knowledge in character.

Note, even if Li pried with questions he would no doubt believe Lupin is an arts dealer no matter how smart or perceptive, that's part of his knack. There's no reason at all for Li to believe in any deception, false modesty or other forms of subterfuge. Especially not when there isn't any present.

Okay, edited. Charles has been quick to modestly downplay his status and Li-Shen thinks its amusing. From his perspective everything is unfolding as it was meant to. Sure, Felician is an arts dealer, but Li is certain the frenchman is hiding something, after all, so is Li! ::biggrin

No problem. Although I am still getting that feeling like maybe I made the wrong choice...

I don't think its the character fit that's the problem. Sometimes less is more, I may be wearing shoes but I'm not walking. You seem to wish Li to be well liked by everyone, yet you claim he's specialized in being disconcerting. Well..pick one. If people around the table are giving him looks its only because he's not following proper ettiquette for a sit down dinner. Lupin could very well juggle grapes into his mouth but just because he could doesn't mean he should..

Btw, Phoenix, did you ignore Lupin's questions on purpose? Just wondering cause you could've..He asked which city you found the knife in and wondered out loud if it could've been mass produced, if you knew anything about it or the city.

Well no...I hadn't meant to alienate everyone. I was hoping to come off as ostentatious, after all, I had always fantasized about being slick with the parlour tricks...

There was supposed to be a divide between the pleasant and the disconcerting...

So far not the effect I had intended...

Oops - no, I just missed it in responding to the other two. Post up.

Hey, it's Adventure! - we've seen weirder. ::cool

Well no...I hadn't meant to alienate everyone. I was hoping to come off as ostentatious, after all, I had always fantasized about being slick with the parlour tricks...

Unfortunately "pleasant" and "disconcerting" are antonyms...Li enters and makes an attendant collapse in fear, his black tiger scares the bejesus out of guests, he eats at the table with floating cutlery while playing with a coin in his hands...but he also dances and sings and tries to have a nice chitchat? There's a distinct conflict here in what Li is trying to achieve...I just can't imagine being seated next to someone like that and having a normal pleasant conversation. Lupin is too much of a gentleman to blatantly ask Li to eat with his knife and fork like anyone else, much like he wouldn't directly confront someone eating with their hands. But he's not above letting it be known he disapproves with sidelong glances.

That happens, characters often develop in ways you didn't expect. Now you can either roll with it or, if you really dislike where its going, change the character.

Just look at Havoc in War Journal, he was meant to be a charismatic leader until through some weird coincidence and no fault of my own he became a bit freaky. And that was by his third post...:P I chose to roll with it in that case and he was indicted for war crimes. I changed Ernold ficklestein for fit reasons since his wackiness took away from the war atmosphere and went back to Havoc later in the game.

Terry in QZ was meant to be a role model but eventually became really paranoid and even joined the Teragen. I intially tried to resist joining until I saw that that was where the character was going, not my choice. The more I resisted the more I hated the character (or he me? That cliché author thing where characters have a will of their own thing..)

Anyway, your choice on how you deal with it...

Phoenix, are you asking about mass production because of the timeline or because your character is, for lack of a better term, "uncivilized"? Mass production should be big news now with Ford...

You do have me wondering though about the "R" for "Registered trademark". I know the first registered trademark in the UK was in the 19th century, the Paris convention on Patents and Trademarks was at the end of the 19th century and the USPTO has existed for about 200 years now...but I don't know how long they've actually used the "R" symbol.

Hmm...

Btw, Blueninja, would Lupin known anything about the city or blade?

Phoenix, are you asking about mass production because of the timeline or because your character is, for lack of a better term, "uncivilized"? Mass production should be big news now with Ford...

Yeah, I know. My character's fairly aboriginal.

You do have me wondering though about the "R" for "Registered trademark". I know the first registered trademark in the UK was in the 19th century, the Paris convention on Patents and Trademarks was at the end of the 19th century and the USPTO has existed for about 200 years now...but I don't know how long they've actually used the "R" symbol.

I know. ::devil

Okay...I understand now. For a minute there it felt like there was some bleed off from the debate about Asura.

So...ahem! Dark and disconcerting it is... ::sly

carry on...

I have kinda gotten the feeling that the world Joshua is from is actually a post apocalyptic place that had technology equal to or superior than our modern. Thats why I said it seemed like Pulp Sci-Fi "world's of the futures past!" kind of thing...

Oh, Yah, unt Doktor Stahlfaust has me in ze stitches, but erst in ze good way feelings, keep on doing your thing... ::wink

Oh, big help YOU are... ::tongue

and no, your character's fine Madcat. Gorilla butler's hilarious! ::biggrin

Good, I wanted someone that could be humorous and "darkly brooding" at the same time, and as long as the humor does not turn to sillyness I think it will work. ::biggrin

I have kinda gotten the feeling that the world Joshua is from is actually a post apocalyptic place that had technology equal to or superior than our modern. Thats why I said it seemed like Pulp Sci-Fi "world's of the futures past!" kind of thing...
Nice guess, actually.

I guess I've milked this for what it's worth, so I will reveal OOC that Joshua's world is a sort of post-apocalyptic version of Trinity (Banji is a Nihonjin corporation from Trinity). The "apocalypse" was caused by a sudden burst of Telluric madness, and all that's left (in his China, anyway) is an assortment of low-tech tribes. Everything, from China's most verdant farmland to treasures (like orbital steel short swords, for example) hidden away in the ruins of the city, is ripe for the taking. However, the Telluric weirdness is still going on, so they need not only regular hunters but Jerico-class hunters like Joshua in order to protect them from wandering mastodons or skeletal ninjas or whatever.

Does Joshua only speak Chinese?
Nope - he speaks English and Chinese, but refers to them not as such but as the high speech and the low speech, respectively. I was sort of hoping someone would ask him if he spoke English so he could say "No, what is this English to which you refer?", but nobody did, and using dramatic editing for that just seemed crazy. ::tongue

Oh, so he's asian looking then? See, I was imagining more like the indian in "Brotherhood of the Wolf"..

Alrighty then...

Madcat, I've never used the name "Lupin"...

and I wasn't aware it was a flower..:)

Sorry, my bad. It was kind of late and I saw Lupin all over your posts...

Il remove it ASAP.

Sorry, my bad. It was kind of late and I saw Lupin all over your posts...

Il remove it ASAP.

Thanks Madcat

Bounding around the corner in Giant Tiger fashion, Li will attempt to reign in the vehicle he just stripped. Rather than be directly violent to the driver, he will jerk the steering wheel violently with all of his might and control, adjusting the timing and the direction so as to impale the front end of the car into the nearest convenient lampost or fire-hydrant.

If successful, then when the Duesenberg rounds the corner and is coming up on them, Li-Shen will ask Asura to make sure those in the (hopefully) smashed car don't go anywhere. As the vehicle speeds past, Li will leap with the added momentum from Asura, attempting to land in the car and using his telekinesis to cushion his landing. Spend a WP for a success on this feat

I got the impression from BN's post that they were out of reach / its a chase now. You may want to rethink that last post. Depending on distances there's also a good chance the Deusie rounds the corner first, dunno (its got a top speed of 137kph/85mph and Lupin/Joshua didn't waste any time).

Archived