Adventure!: In Search of Inspiration - In Search of Inspiration

BlueNinja

Dr. Jackson orders a cup of cofee and some lunch. While eating he goes over the game plan with his associates.

"Am I to understand that you are actually preforming here Li-Shen? If thats the case what would be an appropriate time to start searching light posts for strung up kinsmen?"

The last remark made with his trademark smile hinting at jest.

"Mr. Joshua, I'm baffled by your markings. They appear tribal, but none like I've encountered before. What tribe are you from and what function did you have there?"

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joshua smiles and leans back. "I'm a member of the Chepano tribe, of the caste Jerico. My village is..." His expression darkens momentarily. "..was a community of farmers and hunters. But the lands we occupied were dangerous because of the occasional transient predators and monsters, so the other Jerico and I existed as a special group of hunters, trained to fight and defend the village."

The warrior draws his left-hip knife and tosses it vertically up in the air, where it loops around lazily and falls back for him to catch, point-down. He twirls it idly for a moment, the light from the restaurant gleaming off its blue-gray metal, then fluidly shoves it back into the sheath. He smiles at Bryce amiably.

"What does 'Doctor' mean?"

Joshua smiles and leans back. "I'm a member of the Chepano tribe, of the caste Jerico. My village is..." His expression darkens momentarily. "..was a community of farmers and hunters. But the lands we occupied were dangerous because of the occasional transient predators and monsters, so the other Jerico and I existed as a special group of hunters, trained to fight and defend the village."

The warrior draws his left-hip knife and tosses it vertically up in the air, where it loops around lazily and falls back for him to catch, point-down. He twirls it idly for a moment, the light from the restaurant gleaming off its blue-gray metal, then fluidly shoves it back into the sheath. He smiles at Bryce amiably.

"What does 'Doctor' mean?"

After a few seconds had passed, Dr. Bryce reminded himself to breath.

"That was a most impressive move with such a dangerous weapon. May I see it please? I'm sort of a sucker for shiny artifacts."

Jackson removes his spectacles from his dirty shirt pocket and moves away his lunch coffee in anticipation of inspecting the item.

"Doctor, means that I can do or say anything and people have to accept it...because I'm a doctor." He smiles again, after blurting that rubbish and begins again.

"Doctor can mean many things, depending on who is asking. For many tribesman, a doctor or witch doctor has been called shaman or medicine man. In our culture, it has even more meanings. Let us just say, it is an honorary title to say I went to school for a VERY long time. "

Joshua nods understanding, unsheathes the weapon and passes it to Bryce. "My tribe had a healer who knew about many things. He was the one who painted my body when I came of age, after I defeated the Jerico trials and won my weapons."

He looks at Bryce with a new respect.

"What's 'school'? We use that word to refer to a group of fish, swimming together in the open ocean." He grins. "I'm guessing that's not what you mean, though."

Joshua nods understanding, unsheathes the weapon and passes it to Bryce. "My tribe had a healer who knew about many things. He was the one who painted my body when I came of age, after I defeated the Jerico trials and won my weapons."

He looks at Bryce with a new respect.

"What's 'school'? We use that word to refer to a group of fish, swimming together in the open ocean." He grins. "I'm guessing that's not what you mean, though."

Gazing adoringly at the marvelous weapon, a sly but simple grin slides across Dr. Bryce's face. He glances up at Joshua over his spectacles.

"In this case, no by school I do not mean fish. School is a place where people like me study and practice our crafts. My particular expertise lies in ancient civilizations and artifacts. Though I've been on many sites uncovering all forms of life."

He looks back at the blade.

"This is truly wonderful. I don't suppose you have a spare that you'd give me for my collection?"

"Am I to understand that you are actually preforming here Li-Shen? If thats the case what would be an appropriate time to start searching light posts for strung up kinsmen?"

The last remark made with his trademark smile hinting at jest.

Li-Shen returns the doctor's smile with a look of dry seriousness.

"They are *not* my kinsmen...And yes I shall be performing at The Palace tommorow night. We should make our inquiries tonight as I wish to leave promptly after the show." Li has been looking at the greasy food with some distaste. "When you are finished eating, we can follow up on this address..."

"I don't suppose you have a spare that you'd give me for my collection?"

Joshua laughs loudly at the idea. "No," he replies. "Sorry."

"When you are finished eating, we can follow up on this address..."

"Oh - let me finish up then." Joshua focuses on eating, and wolfs down the rest of his food at an incredible pace, quickly clearing his plate. In a few minutes, he is ready to leave.

The Chinatown district isn't terribly hard to find, seeing as how it's all the way on the West end of town, not too far away from the train yard where Li's train is currently undergoing maintenance. The address, however, is maddening - either the cop in question has never been to Chinatown, or someone has been trading around street signs just for fun. More than once, a group of teenagers with conspicuous knives starts to make a move towards the group, before the sight of Li's oriental face makes them hesitate long enough for the trio to slip past them. The neighborhood sounds and smells remind Li of some of the worse areas of back home, though Jackson finds it all positively stimulating. ::happy

Eventually, along the edge of the district pointed towards the desert, on the third time past it, Li catches part of a voice, yelling at someone named Kwan, and an elderly Korean man with a broom turns and shouts down the street at whoever is yelling, threatening them with splinters in sensitive places.

He turns towards you, holding the broom, and squints at the three of you. "How you know my name? What you want?"

Dr. Bryce afixes his casual disarming smile and removes his hat with his right hand.

"Please do not be alarmed Mr. Kwan, we merely have a few questions to ask you. My associate here ( motions to Li-Shen ) will ask the questions."

With that, Dr. Bryce replaces his hat and awaits his companions response.

Li-Shen biefly clears his throat. *ahem*

"Thank you Dr. Bryce."

Hoping that some levity will disarm the man, Li-Shen replies with a gentle mirth,

"Mr. Kwan, as to how we knew that Kwan was indeed your name...well it's quite obvious when someone is shouting it at you...as to our knowing to look for a Mr. Kwan in the first place; we were given your adress by the local law-enforcement Captain. While we are merely private citezens with no link to any such jurisdictional agency, we are nonetheless engaged in the investigation of certain mysteries. One of those mysteries happens to be the current shadow-war being conducted between the encroaching Chinese Triads and the local organized crime syndicate. We were told you might have some valuable insight that would contribute to our understanding of the affair and, of course, you will be well compensated for any such contributions. May we come inside?"

Hoping that some levity will disarm the man, Li-Shen replies with a gentle mirth,

"Mr. Kwan, as to how we knew that Kwan was indeed your name...well it's quite obvious when someone is shouting it at you...as to our knowing to look for a Mr. Kwan in the first place; we were given your adress by the local law-enforcement Captain. While we are merely private citezens with no link to any such jurisdictional agency, we are nonetheless engaged in the investigation of certain mysteries. One of those mysteries happens to be the current shadow-war being conducted between the encroaching Chinese Triads and the local organized crime syndicate. We were told you might have some valuable insight that would contribute to our understanding of the affair and, of course, you will be well compensated for any such contributions. May we come inside?"

He glares at all of you suspiciously, then leads the way inside. "You want to go up against Triads? You crazy people. There not so many in Vegas, but more coming from Angeles. They want to take over city, bump out Mafia. What you going to do about it?" He pokes Li in the chest with a stiff finger. "You look like Triad, you do."

He glares at all of you suspiciously, then leads the way inside. "You want to go up against Triads? You crazy people. There not so many in Vegas, but more coming from Angeles. They want to take over city, bump out Mafia. What you going to do about it?" He pokes Li in the chest with a stiff finger. "You look like Triad, you do."

Dr. Bryce attempts to diffuse Mr. Kwan with his trademark charm.

"Mr. kwan, I assure you that my associate Li-Shen here isn't a member of the organization, he is a devout and honest man, who wants to see these criminals brought to justice.'

Dr. Bryce smiles again, and hopes to get more information from Mr. Kwan

"If you have anything to tell us that you think may help. Please do Mr. Kwan, we don't wish to disturb your day any longer than we must."

Holding his hands up as if to ward off protest, the well-heeled asian quickly adds,

"It's all right doctor. If this gentleman cannot be of assistance, we will continue our endeavor to the City of Angels nonetheless. My apologies for troubling you, Mr. Kwan..."

Li-Shen Long turns to leave.

He hesitates for several moments, but finally speaks as Li's hand starts turning the doorknob. "I hear one of them, he say they come in two nights, from Angeles, late train - ten pee em. At least ten. He look tough," he points with the broom at Joshua, "but Triad bad men. Now go, out my store." He turns towards the back, apparently to put his broom away.

With his hand on the doorknob, the master illusionist turns his head towards the Old Korean. When the man has finished speaking, but faster than he can begin his turn, Li Shen removes his other hand from his suit pocket and flips a whirling flash of golden light through the air, arcing towards Kwan. As it nears the shopkeeper, it decelerates into slow motion, revealing itself to be a solid gold coin of ancient chinese design, circular with square hole cut into the center. It remains there, hovering and spinning slowly in place before Kwan's eyes. The coin must weigh several ounces of solid gold...

Li Shen exits the building.

When the others have joined him,

"I reccommend we retire to the privacy of The Silk Road before we discuss matters any further. The Dragon's Eyes are always searching..."

"Well? What do you think?"

Joshua smiles at Li-Shen. "Heart-stopping. This world is every bit as beautiful as my own."

He looks out over the tracks.

"So, what's the plan? Do we jump onto the moving train before it rolls into town, then disable and interrogate the Dragons while we're trapped on the train together?"

Joshua smiles at Li-Shen. "Heart-stopping. This world is every bit as beautiful as my own."

::glare "No doubt. But I was asking your thoughts on the Dragon..."

"So, what's the plan? Do we jump onto the moving train before it rolls into town, then disable and interrogate the Dragons while we're trapped on the train together?"

"Actually that is a possibilty...but it does tip our hand. If we let them come here, we can track them to their lair, and take out the whole nest...then return and hijack their locomotive while its still in the station. Misdirection is Key."

"No doubt. But I was asking your thoughts on the Dragon..."

Joshua nods understanding. With exactly the same smile as before, he replies, "If he fights back with courage and resourcefulness, it will be more satisfying when I kill him in the end."

"Actually that is a possibilty...but it does tip our hand. If we let them come here, we can track them to their lair, and take out the whole nest...then return and hijack their locomotive while its still in the station. Misdirection is Key."

"Hijack?" Joshua asks. After Li-Shen explains the meaning, he replies, "We can attack the lair anyway, if it seems expedient. My suggestion doesn't require us to fight the group on the train, and the group in the lair, at the same time."

Hijack?" Joshua asks. After Li-Shen explains the meaning, he replies, "We can attack the lair anyway, if it seems expedient. My suggestion doesn't require us to fight the group on the train, and the group in the lair, at the same time."

Dr. Bryce listens carefully to the exchange.

"I would have to agree with our painted companion. Splitting the groups would be best...for our lower numbers."

As the sky darkens, Li-Shen walks over behind a large and very detailed gilded globe and pulls a lever. The sound of hydraulics and heavy machinery rumbles through the car as the armored iron cowlings raise up and enclose the glass domed ceiling.

"Very well then... Two days hence, we shall ride out to meet these serpents. The Silk Road will block the tracks, up in the mountain pass where there can be no escape. There we will lie in ambush, on the sides of the track, ready to board the moment our enemy slows his pace..."

Jackson ponders Li-Shen's plan and a surge of excitement pours through him. He remembers what its like to rob banks and hold up trains, to be an outlaw and a soldier. He becomes a cowboy. Then the wave passes and he regathers his thoughts.

"Li-Shen, do you have a stable on this train, horses may help in the ambush, in case we need to leave in a hurry. It would probably be best not to retreat immediately to your own vessel, lest someone see you and plan a revenge. "

A thought comes to the brilliant scientist then.

"Or perhaps you want them to know..."

Jackson ponders Li-Shen's plan and a surge of excitement pours through him. He remembers what its like to rob banks and hold up trains, to be an outlaw and a soldier. He becomes a cowboy. Then the wave passes and he regathers his thoughts.

"Li-Shen, do you have a stable on this train, horses may help in the ambush, in case we need to leave in a hurry. It would probably be best not to retreat immediately to your own vessel, lest someone see you and plan a revenge. "

A thought comes to the brilliant scientist then.

"Or perhaps you want them to know..."

Li-Shen gives the Doctor of Archaeology a curious look.

"No horses, only tigers...and I don't suggest you attempt to ride any of them..."

"In regards to your other question, retreat should not be an option or even necessary if we play our cards correctly." As he says this he passes an empty hand over his palm, leaving an Ace of Spades lying face-up in its wake. "However, if to flee is the only thing that will allow us further life in pursuit of our enemy, then the Silk Road's four german engines should make it the faster Iron Horse."

Satisfied with his companions answer, Jackson prepared for an iminent battle with a ruthless enemy. He sat on the observation deck of the train and penned a bit in his journal as he had most of this journey. The words helped him put things into perspective.

The Dr. finnished his day with a pleasant and rewarding walk around the town. He needed a drink, to focus a bit and hopefully catch up on his reading. So he took his journal and heading to a local watering hole, letting his partner know where he could be reached.

After Jackson excuses himself, Li-Shen turns to Joshua.

"I must prepare for my performance, and the upcoming confrontation. You are welcome to exlore the areas of my home that I have shown you...perhaps you will be at home in the arboretum car...If there is anything you require, please do not hesitate to ask one of the attendants."

And with that he bows curtly and exists towards the front of the train. After passing through a number of heavy vault doors, he checks in on all of the tigers, greeting each one with a pat on the head. Once his preparations have been made, he spends the next day in his private chamners meditating and communig with Asuratizaya. The two sit in rapt silent concetration, staring for hours into each other's eyes and speaking volumes with the smallest shift in posture, the twitch of an ear or whisker and the subtle muscles of the iris...

• 2 weeks later...

His business finnished and the hour of action soon at hand, Dr. Bryce heads back to the Silk Road. His journal full and caught up of its recent activity and Jackson himself sporting a mild buzz from consuming a few drinks.

When he is upon the train he will attempt to locate Joshua.

"So tell me Joshua. As a warrior such as yourself, how do you intend to deal with these Triads we will surely encounter? Will you show mercy, or end all their lives in turn?"

Jackson's question lacks any bias or passion, as a man of science his curiosity outweighs his personal beliefs almost always. He takes a bite of an apple he'd been saving in his satchel.

Joshua shrugs his shoulders.

"I haven't thought about it. If there's too many of them, I'll have to start slicing them up, but otherwise, I see no reason to use killing force. Why, what would you suggest?"

Dr. Bryce takes another bite of his apple and begins his response before its fully swallowed.

"Judging by what I've heard and what little I've seen, I can tell that you are a fierce combatant. You claim to come from a place foreign to here and thus have a different code of conduct. If the fight goes ill, I would suggest you do what it is in your nature to do. Nature versus nurture...Nature, always wins!"

He finnishes with a genuine smile and a simple pat on Joshua's shoulder, as he turns and heads down the hall; sounds of his crunching apple continue again.

About 4am, a mountain pass southwest of Las Vegas -

On board the train, Mina and her bodyguard, Butler, are sitting in one of the public cars. "Sorry 'bout this, Mina, but I know that driving across the middle of the desert in July is tantamout to suicide." He keeps glancing towards the other side of the car, where a dozen Chinese men are clustered around two tables, boisterously playing cards and sharing flasks of illegal alcohol. Mina has noticed a few of them being less than discrete about their concealed pistols, as well.

Then the train starts breaking, but a quick glance out the window shows that they're still in the mountains, on a flat part in between tunnels. Li's train sits, blocking the train, and hidden in the shadows on the uphill side are Azura and two of the tigers, waiting for their prey to make an appearance, while Li, Jackson, and Joshua are themselves hidden to await the commercial train's stopping.

((sorry, about the long delays, folks - let's get this show on the road! Or perhaps, in this case, off it. ::happy ))

Riding the Rails

On board the train, Mina and her bodyguard, Butler, are sitting in one of the public cars. "Sorry 'bout this, Mina, but I know that driving across the middle of the desert in July is tantamout to suicide." He keeps glancing towards the other side of the car, where a dozen Chinese men are clustered around two tables, boisterously playing cards and sharing flasks of illegal alcohol. Mina has noticed a few of them being less than discrete about their concealed pistols, as well.

Mina Trenton leans a little into the rocking of the train. With each movement, her ebony silk riding suit shimmers. A plain black Stetson rests at an angle over her beautiful face and contrasts stylishly with her honey blond hair. Her emerald green eyes gleam with mischief as she idly taps her fingers on the pad on her lap. Its leather case is grungy in areas as though dirty fingers caressed the seams. The tips of her right hand fingers scrape lightly along the edge of the pages. The curvy, little twentish young woman smiles broadly. “Butler, you know very well, I’m not suicidal. A bit adventurous and a tad bit reckless, but not suicidal.”

Then the train starts breaking, but a quick glance out the window shows that they're still in the mountains, on a flat part in between tunnels. Li's train sits, blocking the train, and hidden in the shadows on the uphill side are Azura and two of the tigers, waiting for their prey to make an appearance, while Li, Jackson, and Joshua are themselves hidden to await the commercial train's stopping.

Despite the heat, a tan trench coat rests in the seat next to her. A beat up leather saddle bag rests on top of the thick coat and a long wooden box rests on the seat next to Butler. It gleams with age. As she lays the pad aside, she leans forward and allows her eyes to search the car. An intricate silver chain around her neck slides forward weighted by a small silver bullet. Pointedly keeping her eyes from the boisterous men, she quietly slides her pad into the bag next to her and rests her hand lightly on the gleaming metal gun within its dark folds. Turning her head back towards the older barrel-chested Butler, she slightly tilts her head in the direction of the Chinese men. Keeping her attention towards them she slides her saddle bag a little closer. “You know, Butler. I’m starting to wonder. Do I find trouble, or does trouble find me?”

The consummate showman, Li had set the stage perfectly to prey upon the superstitous Chinamen. Steam from The Silk Road was shunted to outside vents, filling the air with a warm fog, while dry-ice contraptions sat along the edges of the track, creating an eerie low-lying mist. Cutting edge electric light-bulbs flickered from the bushes, connected by thin wires to the Silk Road's power supply.

Doctor Bryce and Joshua had not seen Li-Shen since his breathtaking performance the night before, and the Faustian nature of the show itself could easily lead one to believe that the mysterious easterner had in fact sold his soul to the devil in return for supernatural power.

A loud hissing of released pressure accompanies the sliding hydralic external door to Li's Vault. Emerging from the obscuring haze like a demon from the underworld, Li-Shen Long makes his entrance...

Encassed from head to toe in shadowy black armor, he steps down.

Step.

By Step.

The armor adds several inches and considerable bulk to his otherwise lithe frame. It is unmistakenly eastern in design, though Bryce will note that it seems to combine elements of various cultures...the scales and panels of Samurai armor, but with a Persian influence, and perhaps ancient Indian,along with something more futuristic and unquantifiable. It is covered in vicious black spikes that jut out from the joints, lending it an incredibly menacing profile. Most striking of all is his Menpo, or war mask. Covering his entire face in red laquer it bears the visage of a grinning demon of the Orient, with black pits for eyes and a maw of thick protruding fangs.

As he approaches the two Inspired adventurers, the sense of dread and malice grows, becomming a palplable aura filling the dark night air and washing over the others with nauseating horror. Then, as he stops motionless a few feet before them, the black abyssal eyes flare with gleaming red balefire, and the exagerrated monstrous features of the mask shudder and animate as the laquer transforms into a scaly hide.

A voice, hollow and monstrous echoes from the creature.

"Let them Come."

((Activate the Cloak of Dread. Li-Shen is in his full armor and armed with both of his ancient alien chakram. Asura, clouding the minds of those around him, is also encased from head to toe in demonic, sinewy skeletal armor with a spinal ridge interrupted by a riding saddle for Li. Around the mouth and claws are metal blades, designed to scissor closed when he bites.))

((Asuratizaya'a armor looks something similar to this...

[attachmentid=86]))

Dr. Bryce stands with a mild curiosity when in the pressence of this new figure. He registers quickly that its Li-Shen, but not as he remembered him. In fact it would seem that after this moment, he didn't remember him at all, in any fashion different than this. Jackson looked to Joshua for a moment, then turned towards the stopped train and loosened a leather strap and removing his whip to hoop about his left shoulder.

"Well Li-Shen, its your show. I'll help out as best I can"

Jackson offers meagerly...as he secretly welcomes the upcoming melee. He balls both of his worn and powerful hands into tight fists, all of his knuckles releasing a powerful tension as they crack in unison, as his hands tighten in anticipation.

Joshua, confident in their hiding place, has drawn both his butterfly swords and is brandishing them around himself in a flowing and unfocused kata. Block, slash, parry, jump... The paradimensional aborigine seems confident and sound of mind, even with Li-Shen's and Asura's off-putting presence. He nods at both of his new companions.

"It's been rare that I've fought with warriors of your caliber before," he says to them all. "I do not expect this to be our last battle, but let us fight as though we knew that it were."

Raising his right-hand knife, Joshua gently taps the flat against the fist of Li-Shen's armor, and against the handle of Bryce's bullwhip. If the great jungle cat will permit it, he will also tap it against Asura's paw.

Riding the Rails

Despite the heat, a tan trench coat rests in the seat next to her. A beat up leather saddle bag rests on top of the thick coat and a long wooden box rests on the seat next to Butler. It gleams with age. As she lays the pad aside, she leans forward and allows her eyes to search the car. An intricate silver chain around her neck slides forward weighted by a small silver bullet. Pointedly keeping her eyes from the boisterous men, she quietly slides her pad into the bag next to her and rests her hand lightly on the gleaming metal gun within its dark folds. Turning her head back towards the older barrel-chested Butler, she slightly tilts her head in the direction of the Chinese men. Keeping her attention towards them she slides her saddle bag a little closer. “You know, Butler. I’m starting to wonder. Do I find trouble, or does trouble find me?”

Butler chuckles, reaching into his own pocket where he usually keeps a set of knuckle-dusters, made from cast iron, which he claims hit harder than brass. "Trouble finds you, miss, it definately finds you."
As he approaches the two Inspired adventurers, the sense of dread and malice grows, becomming a palplable aura filling the dark night air and washing over the others with nauseating horror. Then, as he stops motionless a few feet before them, the black abyssal eyes flare with gleaming red balefire, and the exagerrated monstrous features of the mask shudder and animate as the laquer transforms into a scaly hide.

A voice, hollow and monstrous echoes from the creature.

"Let them Come."

As Mina watches, three of the Chinese men pile out of the back door of the train, and shout back to their comrades in Cantonese. (roughly translated ::happy ) "Some asshole's blocked the train! Come on, let's teach them not to mess with the Triads!" All dozen of them clamber out the door and onto the smooth area next to the track, but they only make it about halfway up the train before they catch sight of Li. They all slow, almost unconsciously, a few of them slowly putting their hands back into their coats or under their shirts.
"It's been rare that I've fought with warriors of your caliber before," he says to them all. "I do not expect this to be our last battle, but let us fight as though we knew that it were."

Raising his right-hand knife, Joshua gently taps the flat against the fist of Li-Shen's armor, and against the handle of Bryce's bullwhip. If the great jungle cat will permit it, he will also tap it against Asura's paw.

Before Azura slips off into the darkness with the other tigers, he sniffs at the knife curiously, taps his paw against the knife (almost knocking it from your hand), and then rubs one set of whiskers against both Joshua and Bryce. Within half a second, Azura is lost in the night, only barely visible by the faint catches of orange from the other two tigers following him. When the Triad members halt, a faint reflection from six feline eyes can be seen, skulking through the brush along the tracks to come up behind them.

Jackson moves all at once, second after the great beast. Using Li-Shens beast as a distraction (( and what a distraction it was )) Dr. Bryce will move under cover of fog or dark and stealth, to within whip range of a few Triad members. If they go for weapons, his actions will be to disarm if possible.

If possible he will remain undetected until he strikes.

Archived