Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - Trans-Dimensional Explorations

BlueNinja

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smiling quietly to himself, Brandt walks over to the selection available. Taking his time while choosing, he finally picks out a mid-sized revolver and then a lever-action rifle, both with rather large bores.

Loading both with familiar ease, he dry-fires each one, checking their function before firing live rounds. When his turn to shoot comes, he fires smoothly, although flinching a bit at the noise of the first shot.

Considering the large caliber of both weapons he'd selected, Brandt shows no effort in controlling recoil that would be punishing to most baselines.

(Using Mega-Dex to reduce difficulty, and if anyone's wondering, he's picked out a .357 revolver and a .45-70 Marlin rifle.)

Ash looks like a kid in a candy store when he hears that he can use *anything* he can find. He walks around pulling out a pistol here, a rifle there...pulling open the barrel checking for who knows what.

He smiles when he comes to a large rifle that has a cable that runs from it to a backpack. He grunts slightly as he picks is up and tosses it over his shoulder. He walks a bit further and picks up a large fat gun that looks like a cross between an uzi and a briefcase.

He is grinning wildly as he walks back up to the frint and puts the large automatic rifle on a table, then takes a pair of Smith and Wesson 500's out and sets then out as well.

He is almost giddy when his turn comes up. He tries to out do the 'trainers' with all his might...

(He has pulled out a portable laser and a heavy automatic rifle from the armory. Using luck.)

Paul aims downrange and calmly fires two shots. The handgun round, curiously enough, nails the target clean in the throat. The rifle hits low center body mass. "Decent enough," Rieller says. "I suggest you check the Colt .45 automatic pistol. Your hands are made for it. There's a pair inside the armory."

Eli's shots do about the same as Paul's rifle skills, both hitting near each other in the left shoulder. Shaking her head, Claire hands him one of her Uzi's. "Try one of these on for size. Single shot first." The single shot hits the outside of the 10 ring, center body, and she claps Eli on the shoulder, causing him to accidentally squeeze the trigger and spray the floor of the firing range.

Brandt's shot with the handgun is a perfect shot between the 'eyes' on the target, and Rieller gives a nod and a thumbs up. The rifle shot is a little worse, hitting center body mass in the 9 ring. "There's a matched set of fifty calibur revolvers in one of the cages," Rieller says. "I bet you'll like them."

Ash tries out the portable laser first, and cuts off the cardboard target - above the 'head', making the shot a complete miss. "You have to adjust for the lack of recoil," Claire mutters, reaching over his shoulder to readjust the gun. His second shot with the laser is no better, cutting one side off of Brandt's target. In disgust, Claire takes the laser away from him and returns it to the armory. Minus the distraction of her presence, Ash fires the automatic competantly enough, walking the line of fire smoothly across the torso of his new target, and hitting the target center body mass at 8 with both pistols. "If Michal says you can take large weapons, I have a .35 calibur automatic rifle. It's a bit more accurate than that fifty you're using right now." Rieller frowns, leaning forward to inspect it. "Hah! You picked up the one I stole from the Medillin cartel's compound in Mexico about a decade ago. It also pulls to the left a little bit. I suppose if Michal says you can take non-concealable weapons with you, you can keep it."

"Hah! You picked up the one I stole from the Medillin cartel's compound in Mexico about a decade ago. It also pulls to the left a little bit. I suppose if Michal says you can take non-concealable weapons with you, you can keep it."

Ash grins. "Man...I haven't been able to mess with thoes guys in a while. If I can I'll make sure to take good care of 'er. So you used to screw around with the Cartel?"

Ash grins.  "Man...I haven't been able to mess with thoes guys in a while.  If I can I'll make sure to take good care of 'er.  So you used to screw around with the Cartel?"

Rieller nods, leaning against the wall, still floating two inches off the ground. "A bunch of us - Michal, Claire, me, a guy named D-Day, and Clio - we all erupted within about ten minutes and a hundred miles of each other. A friend of Michal's who worked with the California government got us all together after about a week, and gave us some work. He did medical research, stuff like that, so we agreed to let him observe us while we did some good work for the government. Helped us get to know our powers and stuff. So yeah, the first year or so we worked our way up, until we caught a pair of novas who were being blackmailed by the cartel into 'protecting' the drug shipments. We agreed to go rescue their sister, so we snuck on down to Mexico, trashed a compound, and rescued a bunch of people from this nutcase. Got away with a whole semi full of guns and equipment that we "liberated" and snuck back across the border. Damn, that was fun times." He pats the machine gun. "This baby took down a dozen men all by herself, between me and Clio. And that girl, all sheltered librarian type, she'd never even fired a gun before!"

Floating in the firing range, Pat doesn't look all that interested in the various guns. Finally, he floats into one shooting areas, sets the target as far away as possible, and holds out his hand. A ball of rippling air about the size of his hand shoots out at the target. When it hits, it expands and engulfs the cardboard target, and then nothing is left of the target but tiny pieces of smoking confetti, drifting around the end of the target range.

[spending qps for Q-Bolt]

Floating in the firing range, Pat doesn't look all that interested in the various guns. Finally, he floats into one shooting areas, sets the target as far away as possible, and holds out his hand. A ball of rippling air about the size of his hand shoots out at the target. When it hits, it expands and engulfs the cardboard target, and then nothing is left of the target but tiny pieces of smoking confetti, drifting around the end of the target range.

"Nice shot," Claire says sardonically. "But what are you going to do if you're out of juice? Or land on some world where they don't have novas?" She shrugs elegantly. "That's why we have everyone come up here to test their gun skills."

Paul aims downrange and calmly fires two shots.  The handgun round, curiously enough, nails the target clean in the throat.  The rifle hits low center body mass.  "Decent enough," Rieller says.  "I suggest you check the Colt .45 automatic pistol.  Your hands are made for it.  There's a pair inside the armory."
Paul answers,

"Thank you. Beginners Luck I think."

"Is this the part were we show off what we can do power-wise?"

"Is this the part were we show off what we can do power-wise?"

"If you want to," says Claire, glancing over. "You're honestly here to test your skill with standard firepower. There are times where you'll be out of juice, or trying to keep your nova powers a secret from off-worlders, and you'll need to know how to defend yourselves with weapons you can, if neccessary, steal from your enemies. That's why you'll be sparring against Kevin this evening in the gym." She grins, pulling out her other Uzi and spinning it on one finger. "Plus, guns are just really ****ing fun!"

Pat shurgs and floats over to the gun table. Picking up a rifle, Pat floats over to another target. Again setting it at the limit of its range, Pat takes a couple seconds to aim, then fires. Then he fires again, and again, and again.

[Activating EM Vision (for the scene) to make the target appear 10x closer.]

"Sounds like something I would have liked to be in.  Too bad.  You want me to try with the pistols too?  I usually do better with them."

"Yeah, that was before your eruption I bet. Sure, go ahead. Technically we can order you around for the next two hours, so try out any gun you want." He stops and glances at Claire. "Um, except for the laser."

(Zooming in on the target won't give you any bonuses unless you spend the time to pick out a gun with a laser or a scope.)

Pat's shot with the rifle is pretty good, hitting the target in the 8 ring. "Decent enough," Claire says.

He takes aim at the farthest target and attempts to 'cut' a circle out of it with his bullets (the center mass in the chest and the 'nose').

Ash realizes after the first two shots that he won't be able to cut a circle out. But he does end up with a slightly lop-sided smiley face. Rieller gives him a thumbs-up, and takes one of the semi-automatic pistols. "Ten millimeter. Nice guns. If you need extra ammo before a mission, there's a sub-armory on the other side of the gate room from Richard's lab. I know there's at least four clips, and a box of rounds."

Jonathan looks over the weapons a little timidly. After picking up what looks like a lightweight, low-yield rifle, he walks up to the firing range, has a little trouble figuring out how to load it, but figures it out and fires off 5 rounds at the target. He comments to Reiller, "If you have a bow and arrows, I'll be hitting all 10s, but I'm not used to using a gun."

Jonathan looks over the weapons a little timidly. After picking up what looks like a lightweight, low-yield rifle, he walks up to the firing range, has a little trouble figuring out how to load it, but figures it out and fires off 5 rounds at the target. He comments to Reiller, "If you have a bow and arrows, I'll be hitting all 10s, but I'm not used to using a gun."

Jonathan's five shots all barely manage to hit the target. Two of them hit the cardboard without smacking the figure, and only one comes close to center body mass. Rieller winces as he looks at the target. "Yep, you're pretty bad alright. I think there is an archery set - " He freezes suddenly, and a look of horror comes over his face. "No. No, we don't have any archery supplies you can use. After Michal's meeting tomorrow you can have someone drive you up to Fresno, I know there's some stores there." He shakes his head, and motions towards the armory. "Come on, let me show you a good beginner's handgun and some tips."

Paul says,

“Rieller. Claire. Maybe you’re aware of this, or maybe not, but I thought I’d make the offer. Although I’m not a “true” telepath, with permission I can “learn” a mind, even a human mind, and then talk to it in the future. This more akin to a quantum telephone than telepathy, there just isn’t anything that I can do over the link other than communicate. And if the person I’m trying to communicate with doesn’t want to communicate, they can hang up. The technical name for this is Psychic Link."

“I have no clue whether it will work across dimensions. Probably not, but normally range isn’t all that much of a consideration so it is at least possible. If it doesn’t work, then it doesn’t work. If it does, well, then it strikes me as being potentially pretty useful.”

"So what do you think?"

“The technical name for this is Psychic Link."

"So what do you think?"

They share a glance, then Rieller jerks his head towards the Armory. "You tell him."

Claire leads Paul into the Armory, and through a small door that blends into the wall that leads to an office. "Paul, we're aware - well, sort of - how a psychic link works. Our friend Clio could do that too. She's a bit of a sore subject around Michal, so whatever you do, don't repeat too much of what we say around him." She glances back into the Armory, listening to the sounds of gunfire. "Go ahead and try the link with me, though I wonder if my experiences will make it a bit different for you." She takes off a stud earring just like the one Richard was wearing.

(If you still make the link ... )

When the Link activates, it's a little different from the way Paul's link with the others worked. While he can still hear Claire perfectly fine, there's also a grainy picture of her in the upper left corner of his vision, almost as though someone's beaming a digital picture in bad resolution. "Yep, almost like I remember," she says. "Anything else? It's almost dinner time, and I'm famished."

*Testing... I don't think I've met Clio.  Do you think I should offer a link to Michal?*

Claire snorts in amusement before perching on the edge of the desk. I'd be surprised if you had met Clio - considering she's been dead for almost two years. Personally, I wouldn't offer anything telepathic to Michal. Not because of bad memories, but because he's got a lot stronger mental defenses than this little gadget can provide. She holds up the earring she took off, and the Link cuts off as she puts it back into her ear.

Paul snorts as well, ::blink

"Not sure if it'll be useful with those things around.  Shields, and by that I mean real shields, are supposed to be up when you need them and down when they aren't useful. ::cool  ::brick

"Yeah, well, given the number of times we've had to toss out novas from Kuro-Tek, Utopia, the NSA, and even a couple of Terats, it's better for us to keep them up all the time." She jumps off the desk, and almost skips through the Armory back to the shooting range. "Rieller! Knock it off already. You might be able to sit here all day blowing holes in cardboard, but some of us want to eat!" With a few complaints made in jest, he ensures that the borrowed weapons are secured properly (though he promises to have them ready before you gate out) and with Claire leads the group back to the surface world and the kitchen.

Last night, the dining area was occupied. Today, it's crowded. Every chair is taken, and a number of groups are standing around eating, even as others are taking their food out into the hallways in covered plates or tupperware containers. The twin stoves in the kitchen are fully manned, with a trio of people maneuvering around them and cheerfully taking orders. Rieller nudges Ash, speaking barely loud enough to be overheard. "That one's Kevin," he says, and anyone who followed the XWF would recognize the former Red Ring champion, Coup de Grace, originally Kevin Smith. He's grilling up chicken breasts, splashing them liberally with a bottle of Jack Daniel's, and salutes Rieller with the bottle. "If you don't want to wait, try heading to a less crowded area and ask Athena about borrowing one of the cars to head into town. It's only five thirty right now, and he'll be expecting you in the gym at eight. It's out back, above ground, by the way." After that, Rieller floats out, apparently going to look for food elsewhere. Or maybe he's just not hungry, it's hard to tell.

"If you don't want to wait, try heading to a less crowded area and ask Athena about borrowing one of the cars to head into town.  It's only five thirty right now, and he'll be expecting you in the gym at eight.  It's out back, above ground, by the way."

Brandt looks around at his new companions. "I say we head out if we can...we've no real idea when we'll be able to eat at a regular restaurant again. Anyone want to head out with me?"

(Skipping a bit ... )

After a large dinner at the local Denny's (who are, apparently, used to the occasional nova visit), you return to the SGE and pack, following the sidewalk around to the back of the building. There, hidden from the road, it an even larger building, though only one story. Entering through a set of double doors, you find yourself in a small lobby; signs point towards the changing rooms, weight room, pool, and gymnastics center. After looking around in curiosity for a moment, the door opens behind you, and Kevin enters with a towel around his neck. "Howdy y'all," he says in a fake Texas twang, "Michal said to give you guys a thorough testing in your hand to hand combat skills, both unarmed and with melee weapons. A bit of throwing accuracy isn't a bad idea either. If you could tell me what kinds of fighting styles you know, and what kind of weapons you've trained with, while we walk to the gymnastics room, that'll be a help."

Kevin listens to everyone, noticing the silent dwarf, and nodding to everyone as they enter the gymnastics room. This room has got to be at least thirty feet square, and along one wall is a rack of practice weapons - basically wooden weapons with a thin layer of foam over them. "Well, I'll start with unarmed stuff. Just a minute or two, throw a couple of moves at me and try to dodge a few of mine. Just for practice, mind - no super-strength. People go right through these walls." He grins broadly. "Just ask the last Utopia snoop who showed up. He landed two miles away."

Moving to one corner of the mat, he does a few quick stretches. "Who wants to go first? The rest of you make sure to do some stretches and stuff, get ready. Once everyone's had a minute with me unarmed, we'll do a bit of melee. If there's a weapon that's not in this room, you don't need to use it." Specifically, he points Jonathan towards the rack with varying styles and lengths of swords, including a set of shinai. "Those what you were talking about?"

Paul answers,

“Fair enough.”

He starts to walk over to the mat and as he does so his eufiber shifts. His face grows a helmet, the outer coating turns frictionless to better resist blows, gloves form with weighted knuckles. At first it grows a long knife but that is absorbed into the outfit.

PM to ST.

Towards the end of the practice, Paul says,

“Thing is, this is attacking you with my weak point. In a real fight I’d do this…”

Paul’s hands start to burn and then turn invisible, as does the rest of him. (1 q for attune, 2 for bodymorph).

His voice shifts to the ceiling, he’s obviously floating or flying or something,

“And at this point I normally just run away. Although if I did continue my touch burns… but I don’t get any stronger. Should we continue?”

Ash watches as they fight...

(Analyse weakness on the instructor here)

When his turn comes up (he will of course volenteer next) he starts his own show with a quick series of punches and kicks designed to disable an opponent rather then kill them (and luck, hopefully is on his side this time...and I am turning my luck on).

When its his turn to defend, he blocks, sidesteps and even tries to get in a defensive throw or two.

Paul ducks and weaves through a few attacks, unable to land a blow on Kevin's swiftly dodging form. When he has to go on the defensive against the other nova, his Eufiber protects him somewhat, but still not enough to stop Kevin's pulled punches from knocking Paul clear off his feet on two occasions. As he vanishes and floats away, Kevin chuckles. "Hey, that's pretty darn useful. Fighting off the invisible novas is hard enough when they're on the ground." Glancing over at Ash, he makes a 'come here' motion, and drops back into a ready position.

Ash fares somewhat better, sitting on the sideline and studying Kevin's martial arts technique. He lands one solid punch, enough to knock the older nova back a step, but grinning, Kevin closes again and lets Ash keep on the offensive, dodging until Ash makes a solid grab and tosses his across the mat. He starts feeling lucky as Kevin closes in, and then he suddenly switches styles, boxing a jab right around the block to nail Ash on the chin. Shaken, Ash manages to block the punches for a few more seconds before Kevin switches styles again, and foot-sweeps Ash straight to the mat. Still, he extends a friendly hand to help him back up. "You're actually pretty good there. If you're bored and don't mind a trip to the hospital wing, come back and I won't pull my punches."

Kevin glances around at the others, even sparing a mild glare for the bored, floating Pat. "Who's next? Let's get this over quick-like. I know most of you don't want to waste any time," he said looking at Eli.

(No better on luck, but the rest of the dice weren't dead set against you this time, Bahamut.)

Archived