Aberrant: The Vatican Incident - The Vatican Incident

infofiend

Hello all,

With a player group starting to form for my new game, I found this great community. Then, I get to thinking ... maybe there is some way I can involve all of these people online? Maybe there is a way I can get my players to interact wth them between game sessions? Maybe there is a way to build a saga that leaves a rich written record? (like the Quantum Zero game I have been hooked on reading)

Anyway, the saga supplement is done, and anyone who would like to get involved in the game or give it a once over is welcome to send me an e-mail at christopher.kent@sympatico.ca. It is a word file, and pretty small (230k).

EDIT: or you can visit The Vatican Incident

The first sit down session is in two weeks time - and it would be cool if there could be some online interaction not long after. Don't know much about running an online game, and I am thinking on how to structure the play ... suggestions and advice are welcome. One of the ideas some players and I are tossing around is awarding xp for my sit down players to interact with online players - sort of a two group scenario.

Cheers,

Chris

I'm also intrigued by this concept - I'd be interested in playing, as well as providing tips on running an online game, if you need any help.

You are indeed welcome to play ... I am building a wee Saga Support Site you can check out.

There is a saga supplement on there, but it was done with a pure tabletop in mind. I am working on a net player guide and will put the draft up today.

With a bunch of good roleplayers from EON and some of my crew here in Ottawa this game is really coming along. Expect the on-line play to start in the second week of this month. After you read through the supplement feel free to ask questions - as I mentioned to Phoenix one good sized paragraph per item in the character generation section should do ... but go crazy if you like writing (gives me more ammo err ... ah ... plot hooks for later ::wink )

iF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING THE GAME, YOU COULD ALWAYS USE THE 'EONCHAT' FOR LIVE FEEDBACK...iT DOES'NT GET MUCH USE ANY MORE  ?;[

Was thinking about that .. but my home office nook is not conducive to a tabletop session. Perhaps when I get my shiny new laptop - ohboyohboyohboy laptop!

I also think that having a net game gives the saga more continuity - Roleplayers in Ottawa are notorious for not showing up and dropping camapgins. The RP legacy threads are very cool too - like little novelas.

Hey, intriguing. ::cool I'll drop you a line.

Would this be an Aberrant game like Quantum Zero, or in one of the other settings?

Sorry for not responing in post form earlier Pheonix ... but yes the setting is very close to mainline Aby. By now you have likely read the setting material in the supplement ... but for the benifit of other readers:

- it is 2001 and most of the mainlie stuff has not yet happened (and will likely unfold differently - given the PCs are early eruptors that could change the world lots by the normal 2010-ish campaign start)

- PCs are all attending a special Ceremony at the Vatican, held to welcome all people and walks of life into the heart of the church and promote an open image.

- Either you were invited because you are important, or won the ticket lottery, or bought one on e-bay ... you ar in for the event of a lifetime.

- Characters all have doubts about Utopia (part of the story set-up) and perhaps have had unnpleasant dealings with the emerging Big Brother.

- Subtle but important changes in the setting result in some changes to the world - one example being Novas that erupt together sometimes become linked with a 'Quantum Resonance' often forming tight little supergroups (think Fantastic 4) and are a bit more in tune with Quantum, etc.

- Utopia is still a darling on the international scene , but has pushed too hard in political ciclres. In Japan Saisho has kicked into full gear already. In the US and Canada the North American Independance Coalition (NAIC) has set up an oversight for Utopia S&T on their soverign territory ... with military support should the Utopians try anything funny (i.e. our economies are based on tech now - no, no, no you can't just come in and mess around ... thanks).

- Game system changes are all outlined in the Supplement, but Merits and Flaws are O.K. IF you want to have customized powers you need to eat a permanent Taint (that is the price for bleeding-edge Quantum powers)

Well the rest you can all read in the docs on the saga site Vatican Incident.

Cheers ::biggrin

Okies

There will be a change of free web host for the support site very soon - I think they might be spreading malwear so better. I will edit all links and note the changes.

If people want to start sending me their rough characters - I am not so much concerned with game mechanics at this point, but writeup / outline is important. No big rush .. but I have time this weekend.

Looks like we have space for a few more online ... I gather that:

Online:

Pheonix - is playing an Elite / Security Type

Ben (Yet to join the forums) - is playing a welathy African Aristocrat

Nullifier - is playing (not sure exactly)

Heritage - is playing .. something

Bahamut - is playing ... ???

Richard (yet to join) - is playing a telporting super-science guy

Alex (yet to join) - is playing (he is still thinking on it)

Tabletopers:

Andrew - is playing Ricky Underwood - Football legend and Action Movie semi-star (I mention RIcky here because Andrew is likely going to be one that interacts alot with the net group ... and provides fluff that I don't have to write ::cool )

Charles - is playing A First Nations Native Shaman / youth counselor

Julia - is playing ... maybe?

Steeve - is playing a combat worthy concpet?

Pierre - is playing A theater technician who has light & sound powers

Things are looking good. I have put a cap on net players from Ottawa. If anyone from the EON commnity not playing is reading this and wwants to - I still have a few more spots.

Game Infrastrcture:

- I PMed Archer - who must be away or something. Asked him about setting up a subforum for the game.

- Will be doing some experiements with the dramatic structre in the Draft f the Net Expansion. Now is the time to let me know if there are things you all really like or dislike in an online game ... good while I think about theory and structure.

Well ... that is it for now. Ciao

The Web Site is OK - and Updated

Turns out I got the malware from some freeware, and the web space pop-ups are simply annoying not virus laden.

Sooo - I revised a few things in the Saga Supplement besides a few grammatical attrocities:

- 5 dots of any Mega Attribute now also qualifies for a new concept power (I want to reward mastery of the nova condition ... and five in a mega-someting represents that just as well as any power)

- Super Science got changed a bit. Some play testing and deep thought as I put together Science One: Exploration and chatted with players really smoothed things out.

EDIT: Expect some more revisons to super science - really small and in the players favour - like I am dropping Effect Level all together. Sheesh - whoever came up with these rules was doing some really cheap drugs. I had forgotten how needlessly complicated and unlike the rest of the dot system this stuff is.

The Net Play Expansion is up and ready to go, as is the first Science expansion.

I had lots more topics planned for the science doc, but I decicded to give it a focus so it would get finished ... and before anyone says anything:

Yes alot of space stuff madie it in there, but so did the Drake equation. If you go to the website and run the equation you see that the Galaxy is pretty empty no matter how you cut it. Sure there might be primitives all over the place, or unitelligent life - but this only means that the action is here on Earth. Characters who completely write themselves out by leaving the planet and not coming back should be avoided.

There is also some material about Cross-Time and Time travel. I am not opposed to PCs eventually having those powers. My games are flexible enough to go any direction players enjoy - but again, the action is primarliy in the present era ... not in a parallel world or some other time.

My thinking, as I get ready to run the first Tabletop session, is that uber-high Quantum characters (8+) will be semi-retired. If you get to that level (and I do intend to run this game for a LONG time) we will consider it a character 'death' and I wil give you the 'Good Karma Award' for a new character. Of course, the old PC still exists, and fun will be had (I will ask you aout how they would handle situations occaisionaly, etc.). I never like to forcibly retire chars ... but Heritage was right when he said it: upper end chars get way too crazy.

Cheers,

Chris

THE GAME IS A FOOT!

and the door is a jar.

No, seriously - the first Tabletop went very well - though we had half the player group unable to attend due to work, the other chars made it through the night. Can't say much more than that, but it was exceptionally fun. So, on to the net play group:

1. Please formward me charachter drafts ASAP. I would like to have the back and forth done this week.

2. I will start putting up a few things to prep people, and if we could play through the opening act over the course of next week that would be great...get things rolling. Here is the first story bit ... a timetable of the big day in Rome.

EDIT: Majot typos fixed :)

Feast of the Blessed Welcoming – Annual Vatican Event

This celebration is a church tradition that dates back to the days of feudalism – where European nobles and merchant princes had to be shown there were no secrets in the church and proper relations were essential. Over the centuries it has changed – now important people from around the world are invited, but also common people. Half of the spots are given out by lottery or sent directly to good souls who would not have the opportunity to travel – often impoverished individuals who are flown in and sheltered

free of charge.

- 9:00 – 9:30 Greeting & Refreshments: (also a fitting and emergency redress for those without attire) Cardinals from several major schools and orders will be in attendance. Schedules with a 100 check-box survey of suggested tour items are given out. The surveys allow small tour groups with common interests to be formed later in the day.

- 9:31 – 10:30 Brunch Buffet: a social brunch where everyone can meet each other and an opportunity to sample hundreds of the finest foods from Europe – the hall is rather austere, as is the church tradition of not wasting wealth on adornments, except for the glory of God.

-10:31 – 12:00 Central Procession: The entire group is lead into the heart of the Vatican, with groups formed during this time based on lists of interesting sights and rarely visited corners – from the “who wants to see what” surveys done earlier. This procession is also a main part of the tour, visiting areas that are often of interest to all.

- 12:01 – 2:00 The Unveiling: With individual tour guides each group may go to see whatever they desire. Often, guest may not touch or disturb items and work going on, but are welcome to observe and respectfully venture anywhere.

- 2:01 – 3:00 Coffee and Tea: With all the groups coming together for a break the finest pastries, dainties, bonbons and afternoon delicacies have been laid out. The pace may be tiring for the elderly at this point, as the brisk January weather usually keeps people moving. Hot cocoa is a specialty here this time of year.

- 3:01 – 4:00 Papal Audience: Pope John Paul II will see each person individually in a ceremony of audience. Though not a tradition followed by all Popes, he prepares for this by learning every name and a bit about the guest and selecting a memento from the Vatican as a gift. Though his health is failing, John Paul II has an incredible memory and rarely calls upon his assistant. Every person has a minute with the pope to receive blessings and talk quietly – but the small tour groups often pool their time for conversation with the great man.

- 4:01 – 5:30 Travel to the Monastery of the Madonna’s Sacred Heart: A Jesuit monastery, with simple but ancient splendours – awaits these years’ guests. A rare pleasure indeed. Most of the Monks are not bound to silence, but are engaged in chores.

- 5:31 – 6:30 Tours of the Monastery: Conducted again in small groups, this is a historical pleasure. The grounds are quite extensive – and it can be seen that the Jesuits here are great scholars – even scientists with some laboratory setups. An apiary, agricultural test facilities, and vast libraries are some of the interesting features here.

- 6:31 – 7:30 Dinner with the Monks: A hearty simple meal contrasts the richness of the earlier repasts – yet quality does not suffer. There is something for everyone from low-carb dieters to vegans or fruitarians.

- 7:31 – 10:00 Tribute to Galileo: With an original 10 foot refractor used by Galileo himself having been at the monastery – it is set up for stargazing. The courtyard of the monastery has been renovated for the event – and is one of the grandest features of the place with intricate renaissance era stonework and statuary. Each person is provided with a pinhole camera for a taste of ‘retro’ astronomy, and will have time with the telescope. The full Lunar eclipse at 8:20 is also much anticipated.

Sorry for not posting here guys.  I've been seriously slammed at work for the last two weeks. 

The above web site appears to be down?

crud - I will have to change hosts. You can email me and I will send you all the game files in reply.

christopher.kent@sympatico.ca

Cheers,

Chris

V. I. P. at the Vatican Event - (Influence 6+ persons besides John Paul II)

Dr. ‘Isaac’ Yamamoto Ichiro – Inventor of the Positron Brain

Dr. Yamamoto is a Nova of great renown in Japan – known as the father of robotics, but also happens to be the majority shareholder of the Toyota Corporation and most of its major subsidiaries. He is a rather plain looking Japanese man in his early 30s, and one of the greatest geniuses on the planet. He was also one of the first Novas to erupt – though none knew of it. Anyone who owns a car or keeps up with electronics or robotics knows of this great man. The following is complied from material available via the internet shortly after the December 20th, 2000 accident where Yamamoto was injured:

‘Isaac’ had been a fan of science fiction since he learned to read at the age of 2. He had always been brilliant, but shy – and never good with women. He erupted when he returned from a robotics convention with a close friend to find a Dear John letter from his wife. She had filed for divorce, deliberately arranging the papers so that she would not have to leave him a thing – as her family was quite well off and Ichiro was bankrupt without her. With support from his friend and colleague Dr. Enrico Flores who was staying at the residence due to an unexpected flight delay Ichiro pulled himself together. Dr. Flores later commented that the moment of his friend’s loss deeply affected him. He went on to say that “sometimes it is difficult to grasp how life can be unfair – especially to good people like my friend Ichiro”. Despite support from friends and associates Ichiro’s situation was dire. He was an important researcher – but had done most of it for free. He had no patents on the software and hardware he had developed. The legal case for a no-settlement divorce was based on his ability to earn an income – and was airtight under Japanese law. In a daze he authorized the divorce – mailing the documents at a local post office and almost being run down in the street.

Without any visible signs of being a Nova, and with the pain of loosing the woman he had truly loved dwarfing his headaches – Ichiro went to work. Out of pity, the university let him out of several contracts that paid nothing for long hours and gave him a full research position. No one denied that Professor Yamamoto was able to meet any obligations set out for him – but the obvious distress of the divorce landed him in a quiet basement laboratory with no one but a few grad students for company. It took less than a week for circumstances at the university and the divorce papers to be confirmed … and Ichiro was now his own man.

Without any real research laid out for him, and a desire to escape his thoughts Ichiro reread his favourite authors – all the classics of science fiction. Always known for his ability to speed read, he thought nothing of sitting down for an hour and absorbing a book. Now, he was having annoying display problem with his old laptop – and he asked a grad student to take a look at it. The machine was old, but turned out to be in apparently good repair. The student demonstrated by opening a file, and scrolling it smoothly with no display problems or hang-ups. With sporadic work going on in his quiet lab the Professor went back to reading over the next few days – until he caught one of his students staring at him strangely. In a very polite and formal manner she asked “Professor, did Yoshi not fix your computer? It seems broken – your pages are nothing but a blur.” He replied that he had been reading, and in fact – the computer was still performing poorly. Only then, with his concentration broken, did he take note of the true speed at witch he was reading – an inhuman pace! Reviewing his file log it turned out that he had absent mindedly read more than seven hundred books in the span of a few days! Instantly he realized that he had somehow become a Nova.

Suddenly, with his mind clear he understood so much more. His grief was gone, replaced by the euphoria of his intellectual horizons expanding beyond imagination. In the next few days he had run himself through tests for Nova abilities. In the seventeen days since Randall Portman had erupted little was know about Homo Sapiens Novus – but Ichiro was determined to explore his own abilities. He did so quietly and carefully, in case the world turned on his kind out of fear. In those early days Utopia had no Rashoud facilities, and so Dr. Yamamoto has been to one except on a tour. In less than two months time he had amassed a fortune, and had taken control of several major corporations. Using his newfound resources and intellect he went on to create his “Positron Brain”.

------------------------

Isaac adopted his western appellation in honour of his favourite author – Isaac Asimov. He had made a career in Robotics trying to build machines that could posit as well as the fiction robots in his favourite stories. Asimov had called his robots “Positronic” not after the anti-particle of an electron, but after an electronic circuit that could come up with – or posit – solutions to the everyday situations that were the real challenge for machines. Where a human can see, walk, talk and feel a machine simply breaks down. Machines can perform billions of calculation a second, have near flawless memories, but balk at the tasks people find effortless. Not a robot equipped with Dr. Yamamoto’s Positron brain – which is, coincidentally, based on generating and handling infinitesimal amounts of anti-matter. Though not intelligent – and less capable than ordinary computers in many ways – his creations can pass for human during a telephone conversation, and make fine caretakers for the Elderly. Honda Asimo-P model robots have popped up all over Japan in the last year as personal assistants, servers, and security guards. As a tribute to the late Asimov Yamamoto designed his robot brains with something like the Three Laws of Robotics – that mandates the robots keep sentient life from harm.

In addition to his corporate success, Ichiro has since spent time with his ex-wife, though rumour has it that he politely declined her offer of reversing the divorce. He bears her no ill will, which is hard to believe for most – until one meets this truly enlightened man. Outside of business and research he is a great humanitarian and philanthropist – currently funding the construction of three private universities in India, South Africa, and Malaysia that will reportedly offer impoverished students who qualify a free education, accommodations, and a guaranteed position with Toyota. He is also involved with supporting the Saisho initiative that has helped Japan rebuild their economy.

-----------------------

Tragically, Dr. Yamamoto is suffering from the early stages of Taint Syndrome, though its effects are minor. The phenomenon of Taint is very rare, but studies indicate even severe cases are not life threatening. Ichiro’s eyes have transformed into strange highly refractive crystals – the only visible symptom of his affliction. Yamamoto reports that he lost control of his quantum talents when experimental apparatus in his laboratory unexpectedly failed. Utopia Science and Technology Division inspectors and members of Team Tomorrow attempted to enter the private facility without permission in order to examine the accident scene and all involved, but were detained by police for trespassing and neglecting to carry proper foreigner identification cards.

Japan then demanded an official apology from Project Utopia, considering the incident an affront to a national hero, the sovereignty of their nation, and blatant disregard for the law. In a surprise verdict of The Hague ‘nova court’ several Utopia and Team Tomorrow members were convicted of multiple offences and sentenced to three years in a Japanese prison. With great understanding and compassion, Yamamoto again proved his enlightened nature by convincing the courts to consider that the Utopia employees believed they were acting with the law – and that the good works of the organization should outweigh any minor infraction. All charges were dropped, but public opinion of project Utopia immediately hit an all time low as neither the Project nor any member of Team Tomorrow issued a public apology. Public opinion has only recovered slightly in the last week as Japanese firms were awarded major contract with the environment cleanup project – including full approval of the Zushima Macrobe produced by a Yamamoto owned corporation.

------------------------

Analysts are once again in a buzz about the Toyota Chief as his financial empire is straining. Though what all of the resources are being used for is a mystery – it seems that construction of several amphibious facilities in Tokyo bay are being bankrolled. Reports that Yamamoto has taken hefty loans from his friend Frederic Steiner are unconfirmed. Experts are sure of only one thing – expect big things from Yamamoto in the near future.

… The internet search also turns up a video interview where Yamamoto – who insists on being addressed casually by either of his first names – answers the questions of a student reporter who apparently won a contest to interview him. Ichiro proves to be a genial, well spoken man with goodwill for Nova and baseline alike. He dismisses tension between himself and Utopia, going on to cite his great respect for their environmental cleanup efforts and medical programs. He concludes the interview by making a surprise donation of one hundred million Yen to the reporter’s high school, a giant cheque carried in by two brand new robots also part of the gift.

I'm not system admin or anything, but perhaps it could be run here? ::unsure

Yep - soon I will start the proper threads ... and I wil put another website up.

I tried out a new free hosting service because they advertise big storage space and I though I might be able to put up some big .pdf files I have. No luck - and now the host seems to be down and out. Maybe a scam?

You in for playing Alex?

EDIT: Though I have been poking around EON for a few weeks now, I have not found a way to host files here. Is there a way that I am just missing? Cause I have a few word docs that are critical to the saga.

So, big-picture questions.

What's supposed to be drawing the characters together here? I don't expect you to play your cards any farther from your chest than you have been, but if they need to have anything in common other than a mistrust for Utopia, it'd be nice to know now.. Especially since you said you want the game to go on for a long time, and presumably roleplaying the event itself won't take up all of that time.

So, big-picture questions.

What's supposed to be drawing the characters together here? I don't expect you to play your cards any farther from your chest than you have been, but if they need to have anything in common other than a mistrust for Utopia, it'd be nice to know now.. Especially since you said you want the game to go on for a long time, and presumably roleplaying the event itself won't take up all of that time.

Hmmm - how to respond. There will be opportunities to work together that present themselves during the event. The saga itself is anti-Utopia, but there are several ways to explore how that unfolds. Upon reflectioon I would say that this game couldbe described as "What if Utopia met with some early resitance?"

The magic, I suppose, is in the setup combining with the first bits of roleplay. Rather than present a standard 'binding tie' for each play group before the game starts (like everyone works for a company) the roleplaying through the event should do that. Having compatible character histories, and the fact that the first 'adventure' is a small group of people with simmilar interests who are positively pre-disposed to each other (the tour group) dealing with an unexpected situation - their eruptions. Without revealing anything that would hinder enjoyment, the first group to go through the event (tabletop) bonded well beacuse they started to uncover the secrets of the setting - scratching the surface of a world they thought they had all figured out.

Its not that a standard game set up doesn't work, but I thought it would be interesting to give players a bit of free reign. Last nights session proved to be very good in that, and other ways. The other thing is that the PC groups will be special - they will have been there at a key juncture in hisotry and are either part of the resonance that forms or were close enough to it to be involved in the minds of others (i.e Utopia).

To expand on the idea of uncovering secrets ... every type of character will get a good workout in this style of game. The investigator types may not be strong enough to face enemies alone, the bricks may have to protect the enire group, and the mega-brains may have to work with the investiagtors to make sense of whats going on. Hence why I stress character concept and having a pretext that makes one against PU and freindly (of the same mindset) with the other PCs cause they are attending an Event at the Vatican (implying a certain type of person - not nescessarily religeous)

To expand on the idea of characters having free reign - everyone is an early eruptor. You are no more powerful than most Novas (except for being PCs and having the advatage of a quirk of physics - resonance - that naturally inclines everyone to work together in harnessing that strength). Cetsus Pax is around, but he still has alot to learn before he will become the Pax of 2010. Divis Mal - who? T2M is as scary as every - more in fact, as they have a much bigger percentage of the worlds' Novas than they do in the standard setting fo 2010+.

To expand on the role of Utopia ... they are deinetly the bad guys. But it is a little different than in the mainline. They pushed too hard to quickly in my setting - but just barely. They still have a sterling public image - but it is tarnished on the edges. On the other hand - the major scandal might not even happen. There is no Slider crisis to make the genral populace vote in web polls on "do you think they did it?" or "do youtrust PU?". Also, though no one outside PU knows about it - they knew about novas and the Inspired. This setting, however, has other major orgs knowing secret - and has these darn 'resonant' novas able to explore their powers and help each other without needing the 'mox, adrenocylin, and Rashoud centers to help unlock their powers. Comparing it to the mainline that everyone knows - Utopia has less of an edge in 'acquiring' new novas - though that is a purely OOC observation.

Eventually, the group should take a united stance on how to deal with Utopia - and I am prepared to accomodate whatever stance the PCs take (maybe DeVeers, maybe starting their own consulting company, maybe become Terat 'transhuman' Types). There may well be inter-party conflict ... thats OK too sorting it out makes for good RP. There may be false starts ... a direction might look like a good idea in theory but not be attractive in practice.

ADDENDUM: Phoenix pointed out a very interesting possiblity: relations with Utopia could be good - at least in some ways. Given that most of the people and Novas in PU are nice people trying to make a better future - the PCs could actually try to fix the Project. It also makes me point out hat it was not my intent to automatically put PU up as a mad-dog enemy - they are still 99% like PU from the main setting - they are still subtle and sly.

There - that should give an idea of what to generally expect - but gives no real secrets up (that would be no fun right?). Much more will become apparent even in the opening act ... and the characters will have several paths to take. Experienced PCs also help to give direction too .. as these Novas can be the 'uncles' or 'aunts' of the other PCs and help them into the Nova experience - maybe even steering the group into an allegance.

BTW: on an OOC If people want to coordinate on char gen and get 'part roles' down to avoid duplication - I have no objection to such negotiations. I found it unescessary in other games given the options.

EDIT: I need editors and a writing staff - or perhpas smaller, dainty type fingers that make less typos.

'ello ello,

My name is Ben and I shall be playing this game...

My character has yet to be finalized but here is a rough outline. (stuff below to be confirmed by the DM, of course)

He was, formerly, a bright young Kenyan civil servant and government official of some note, who we shall tentatively call Arthur Samoei (See ttp://www.kenyaweb.com/history/heroes/). He was educated at Cambridge and then Yale and now holds several degrees (economics, computer science, political science, engineering). He speaks perfect Queen's English. During his rise through the ranks of government, he became aware of how corrupt it was and, because of that, how poorly the country was performing economically, compared with it's potential. He was an honest and nationalistic fellow, but felt powerless to change anything until he erupted as a nova, due to yet-to-be described circumstances.

When he did, his intellect expanded far beyond the scope of mortal man. In fact, it is best described as 'Godlike.' He studied for a little while and prepared carfully and when he was ready he, through, as of yet to be determined but no doubt most brilliant and subtle means, took the country over. I have not yet determined how or what his official title is, but he is, ultimately, its sole ruler. There was some struggle between him and those that had formerly run the country behind the scenes. During this time, an attempt was made on his life that rendered him unable to walk.

Since his rise to power, he has started a series of financial reforms and greatly improved the country's welfare. Employment has increased, hospitals and schools are being built, child and infant mortality has plummeted, the Utopian AIDS research has been applied to supress much of that problem and so on. Some talks have begun with the Utopian group responsible for terraforming Ethiopia.

By liberalizing the economy of the state, and various other insentives, he has made Kenya into a very attractive place for companies to set up shop. Narobi looks set to become a technology hub of Africa. Some of the companies, especially in the computer science field, have already made some impressive advances, that are not SuperScience, but are none-the-less comparable to the best modern mundane gagetry.

One company of note, Multivac Inc., started working on a vast supercomputer with the idea of making it available to the country's academic and corporate researchers.

If the Daedelus League, from the players guide exist, an active effort is being made by the Kenyan government to encourage them to open facilities in Kenya as part of a new drive to start a space program. Kenya does so happen to be close to the equator which will make the transfer of mass into space considerably easier.

That said, he has also emplaced strict bussiness ethics guidelines and environmental policy that, while they do not interfere overtly with anyone's profit margins, ensure fair practice, a level playing field and minimal ecological impact.

In a less overt fashion, he has also made his country an extremely hospitable place for novas. Including three of them that he seems particularly close to (see Resonance). He has quietly adjusted the immigration policy of his country such that it is very easy for a nova to acquire citizenship with a minimum of fuss and in a very quiet fashion.

He has not openly opposed Utopia and, at face value, he has appeared to be supportive of their goals and grateful for their presence but the organization has, through subtle misdirection, found it very difficult to keep track of and spy on Kenyan Novas or maintain a siginificant presence within the nation.

Unlike other nations and companies, he does not force employment on any novas but allows them to go about their daily business. Opportunities certainly abound both in the public and private sectors, but they are pretty much treated as regular citizens.

Public education concerning novas is widely available and every effort is made to integrate them as part of society. Novas hired by the government ie. Arthur, can, however, look forward to a very comfortable standard of living indeed and, if appropriately skilled, can look forward to much advancement. He hires though, not just based on ability, but with a preference to those that share his vision. Others can easily find a job in an array of industries from Film to Aerospace to Biotech... Or start a company of their own with a healthy grant.

He is also in the process of modernizing the country's millitary.

The character's goals are fairly simple. To make his own nation great and seek to produce a united Africa. He's not a meglomanic, he doesn't wish to unite the continent under his rule. Simply make it peaceful and prosperous...

I am looking for other people that might want to play characters in Kenya. I was thinking of having resonance 3 and would be interested in being resonate with other PCs. None-resonate PC allies are also most welcome. Even people who just wish to take up residence in this country.

Ideally, however, players would be interested in also doing empire building and prbobably, eventually, fighting a covert war against Utopia (assuming they really are the bad guys).

A great variety of character concepts would be handy for this but some ideas include superscientists, superspies, space explorers, great leaders, generals, people wanting to start companies etc... If at all possible, they should share the united and peaceful Africa vision...

Fellow has lots of contacts and allies so there are many ways in which our characters could meet.

He shall, of course, be attending the Vatican event and he shall be actively encouraging other novas there to consider the advantages of Kenyan citizenship.

Come one, come all...

Email me at pbensamson@gmail.com or post.

Sorry for not posting here in so long, guys. My laptop had power supply problems that put it out of comission for quite a while. Fortunately, the problems were all, if somewhat expensive and time-consuming, fixable. I'm still planning on playing a character. I expect I'll have a draft in the next day or two. ::biggrin

• 1 month later...
I'm thinking hard of an Alex Green type migrating over from Q-Zero.  He'd need some serious retro-fitting though.

Question: How many people are planning on erupting during the V-Incident?

Hello,

Sorry for not be in touch for charater integration / generation.

I am perfectly fine with a Migration - I have read a bunch of Alex Green on the other games. Cool if you want to .... I saw that you might be the Kenya 4th. This would be a good thing.

Sorry for not posting here in so long, guys. My laptop had power supply problems that put it out of comission for quite a while. Fortunately, the problems were all, if somewhat expensive and time-consuming, fixable. I'm still planning on playing a character. I expect I'll have a draft in the next day or two.  ::biggrin

Cool. I like the mega brain you are building.

LOL - boy do I know about hardware issues, connectivity problems, etc.

Please send me an e-mail at Kentbonisagus@yahoo.com ... trying to get everything running under one e-mail, everyone's chars finsihed, etc.

OK - a few points here...

The Deadalus Leauge doe not yet exist (too early yet)

Yes, the country is very hospitable towards Novas ... se my reply to Kenya stuff in general.

Otherwise this is V cool.

'ello ello,

My name is Ben and I shall be playing this game...

My character has yet to be finalized but here is a rough outline.  (stuff below to be confirmed by the DM, of course)

He was, formerly, a bright young Kenyan civil servant and government official of some note, who we shall tentatively call Arthur Samoei (See ttp://www.kenyaweb.com/history/heroes/).  He was educated at Cambridge and then Yale and now holds several degrees (economics, computer science, political science, engineering).  He speaks perfect Queen's English.  During his rise through the ranks of government, he became aware of how corrupt it was and, because of that, how poorly the country was performing economically, compared with it's potential.  He was an honest and nationalistic fellow, but felt powerless to change anything until he erupted as a nova, due to yet-to-be described circumstances.   

When he did, his intellect expanded far beyond the scope of mortal man.  In fact, it is best described as 'Godlike.'  He studied for a little while and prepared carfully and when he was ready he, through, as of yet to be determined but no doubt most brilliant and subtle means, took the country over.  I have not yet determined how or what his official title is, but he is, ultimately, its sole ruler.  There was some struggle between him and those that had formerly run the country behind the scenes.  During this time, an attempt was made on his life that rendered him unable to walk. 

Since his rise to power,  he has started a series of financial reforms and greatly improved the country's welfare.  Employment has increased, hospitals and schools are being built, child and infant mortality has plummeted, the Utopian AIDS research has been applied to supress much of that problem and so on.  Some talks have begun with the Utopian group responsible for terraforming Ethiopia. 

By liberalizing the economy of the state, and various other insentives, he has made Kenya into a very attractive place for companies to set up shop.  Narobi looks set to become a technology hub of Africa.  Some of the companies, especially in the computer science field, have already made some impressive advances, that are not SuperScience, but are none-the-less comparable to the best modern mundane gagetry.

One company of note, Multivac Inc., started working on a vast supercomputer with the idea of making it available to the country's academic and corporate researchers.

If the Daedelus League, from the players guide exist, an active effort is being made by the Kenyan government to encourage them to open facilities in Kenya as part of a new drive to start a space program.  Kenya does so happen to be close to the equator which will make the transfer of mass into space considerably easier.

That said, he has also emplaced strict bussiness ethics guidelines and environmental policy that, while they do not interfere overtly with anyone's profit margins, ensure fair practice, a level playing field and minimal ecological impact. 

In a less overt fashion, he has also made his country an extremely hospitable place for novas.  Including three of them that he seems particularly close to (see Resonance).  He has quietly adjusted the immigration policy of his country such that it is very easy for a nova to acquire citizenship with a minimum of fuss and in a very quiet fashion.

He has not openly opposed Utopia and, at face value, he has appeared to be supportive of their goals and grateful for their presence but the organization has, through subtle misdirection, found it very difficult to keep track of and spy on Kenyan Novas or maintain a siginificant presence within the nation. 

Unlike other nations and companies, he does not force employment on any novas but allows them to go about their daily business.  Opportunities certainly abound both in the public and private sectors, but they are pretty much treated as regular citizens. 

Public education concerning novas is widely available and every effort is made to integrate them as part of society.  Novas hired by the government ie. Arthur, can, however, look forward to a very comfortable standard of living indeed and, if appropriately skilled, can look forward to much advancement.  He hires though, not just based on ability, but with a preference to those that share his vision.  Others can easily find a job in an array of industries from Film to Aerospace to Biotech... Or start a company of their own with a healthy grant.

He is also in the process of modernizing the country's millitary.

The character's goals are fairly simple.  To make his own nation great and seek to produce a united Africa.  He's not a meglomanic, he doesn't wish to unite the continent under his rule.  Simply make it peaceful and prosperous...

I am looking for other people that might want to play characters in Kenya.  I was thinking of having resonance 3 and would be interested in being resonate with other PCs.  None-resonate PC allies are also most welcome.  Even people who just wish to take up residence in this country. 

Ideally, however, players would be interested in also doing empire building and prbobably, eventually, fighting a covert war against Utopia (assuming they really are the bad guys).

A great variety of character concepts would be handy for this but some ideas include superscientists, superspies, space explorers, great leaders, generals, people wanting to start companies etc...  If at all possible, they should share the united and peaceful Africa vision...

Fellow has lots of contacts and allies so there are many ways in which our characters could meet.

He shall, of course, be attending the Vatican event and he shall be actively encouraging other novas there to consider the advantages of Kenyan citizenship.

Come one, come all...

Email me at pbensamson@gmail.com or post.

QUICK REMINDER:

So this does not get lost in all my other posting today:

Everyone playing should send me an e-mail at Kentbonisagus@yahoo.com

so that things can come together in one place on my end.

Cheers,

Chris

EDIT: Also, char. histories can go in the OOC section ... but there is no rush, as some people still want/need to hammer out final details.

:jumping40:

Archived