Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Nippontai High OOC

ProfPotts

I'm dead busy as well...I'm still thinking that maybe I should drop this game but maybe we should just assume for now that Akaji, Takeshi and Junzo are talking administrative stuff off screen for now...I'll probably have more time around the 16th - onward

This is why I created a slave brute in Tellus...no politicking needed!

Btw, I'm assuming some of you japanese-a-holics might know how to read japanese or at least know this...Can any of you tell me who drew this. I posted a link to this website with high resolution pics way back when but the site has since died and I've no idea who it was...

Nevermind, found it...:)

Name's "Empire Boy" aka Teicoku Syounen

Teikoku Syounenn

帝国少女

Found one of the missing images here: http://www.markfox.org/images/empire_boy_wallpaper.jpg

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dropping his weight to his right leg, Jinsei launches out his left leg behind him in a powerful backwards "donkey kick" to Kazuo's chest or shoulder, hoping to stop his charge at Tetsuo and maybe knock him down. It's not exactly good Judo, but it is an effective attack...

[OOC: Jinsei was already standing pretty close to Tetsuo, as I said earlier, so I'm assuming that Kazuo will come in range at some point despite his attempts at avoidance. If I'm wrong, of course, then Jinsei just misses...]

No you're right. Actually, as I stated, Kazuo only runs through half of an arc, making it look like he's trying to go around Jinsei, then about half way through he suddenly cuts straight across at an angle and would run behind Jinsei probably with no more than 1 1/2 or 2 feet between them.

I should point out however that the kick Jinsei is attempting would be enormously difficult to perform under the circumstances, and you might want to edit your post so that Jinsei does something like lean back and attempt to sweep Kazuo's feet instead of the 'donkey kick' attack. Having used the so-called 'donkey kick' myself in RL, to both good and (very) bad effect, I see two very big problems: 1) Kazuo is almost totally perpendicular to Jinsei which means that Jinsei is aiming at a target that's only about 6 (or less) inches across and moving at very high speed, and the target is running past him not at him meaning Jinsei's foot has a window of about a tenth of a second to be in the right place to do anything, 2) Kazuo is running full tilt, and has just executed a sharp change in direction so that he's going to pass Jinsei with a slight angular momentum (which was the whole point of what he did, Kazuo is expecting Jinsei to either ignore him, or launch a "ranged" attack ("ranged" here means any attack where Jinsei would be attacking at the limit of his reach rather than "close" attacks such as grapples, knees to the groin, uppercuts, and so on), but since Kazuo has just shifted direction to put him much closer to Jinsei this also puts him "inside" of any "ranged" attacks Jinsei launches, making them much easier to defend against or simply dodge (for instance, unless Jinsei is really quick-witted or extremely observant, he's going to attack with the expectation that Kazuo is going to continue his arc around behind him, and he won't expect his foot to connect with anything until it's almost completely extended. Instead, Kazuo will be in range when his leg is about half extended, and this presents obvious added difficulties for Jinsei).

Basically you're problem is this: if Jinsei misses or if Kazuo successfully defends, then the question is "which side of Jinsei's leg is Kazuo on"? If Kazuo manages to simply get by Jinsei's leg without getting hit or stopped, then okay. But if Jinsei's leg ends up between Kazuo and Tetsuo, Kazuo doesn't even have to defend, he just has to keep on running. His own momentum will carry him right through the donkey kick, throw Jinsei way off balance, and possibly end up torqing his leg in a very painful manner.

I know all this because I've had it happen to me. "Back kicks" or "donkey kicks" are enormously powerful and hurt like hell if they land successfully, but they're also enormously difficult to execute outside of a dojo. And the nature of the attack means that you're already off-balance, making it incredibly easy to knock you over, and making it virtually impossible to aim at anything smaller than a good-sized person and then only if they're coming right at you. And, as I found out, it's a good way to get your knee torqed all to hell in the middle of a fight.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, mind you, I just thought I should point all that out since, in real-life at least, that's exactly the sort of attack I would be hoping Jinsei would use if I was Kazuo. But then again, all I'd do is attempt to hook Jinsei's foot and spin him around with it, but Kazuo isn't anywhere near as considerate and won't really care if he ends up twisting someone's knee all out of joint.

But hey, maybe Prof. will be gentle on the diff. penalties, or maybe Kazuo's dice will turn against him with a barrage of failures and botches and everything will turn out alright for Jinsei's knee. Whatever the case, this should be pretty interesting....

*sigh*

such violent young men...

::tongue

Hey don't look at me, Kazuo's the violent one!

I swore off fighting a long time ago, and I haven't traded blows with anyone for almost 10 years now.

I'm just offering some helpful advice so that we can minimize the collateral damage (though why I'm trying to help I don't know, I should just keep my mouth shut so that Kazuo has a better chance of winning....)

... All of this passes through Kazuo's mind in an instant, at an almost subconscious level...

Is it just me, or has Kazuo been possessed by the Midnighter from 'The Authority'..? ::tongue ::wink

Actually, all analysis aside, we'll have to just wait to see how the dice land before any outcomes are determined - after all, the planned moves of the various characters can be messed up by anything as early as failing to win the Initiative roll... ::unsure

... not to mention all the other PCs & NPCs who could also possibly act.

Hopefully I'll get some time to work it all out & post tommorow.

::unsure Wow... I came into this game expecting to be one of, if not the best martial artist in terms of skill, but it actually looks like not only Kazuo, but Tetsuo might be better than he is.

Not that that's a problem! I'm enjoying this game, and the characters in it, just as much as I expected -- that is, lots. ::biggrin

The Kick did 2 levels, the Clinch 3 (Tetsuo's got Strength 5...).

Individually Kazuo should have the advantage against either Jinsei or Tetsuo, he just got a little cocky & tried to do too much in one go (which is, after all, totally in character for a street fighter who thinks he's going up against 'kids').

Holy Crap! ::ohmy

I got hit twice and I took 11 levels of damage?

"Championship" team sounds like an understatement!!

That'll teach me to think Kazuo's hot stuff with 3 bashing soak, 3 Strength, and 10 dice in my combat pool!

(How could I be so wrong?!!?) ::confused ::tongue

Oh well, I'll guess I'll have to figure something out... (cuz if I don't, at 11 bashing per round, Kazuo'll be dead next turn)

EDIT: I just noticed your last post Prof., you did account for Kazuo's bashing soak right? (cuz I mean, holy crap!, 11 levels of damage!!!!)

Just an aside: regardless of whether Kazuo gets his ass kicked or not (and despite the fact that half the players in the game turned againts me ::glare ::tongue ), I am so enjoying this game! The school day isn't even half over yet and already a noodle stand has been thrashed, a brawl has broken out in the school yard, Nezumi opened up to a baseline kid (briefly), and one building has been blown up!! And none of us has even erupted yet! ::wacko

Holy Crap!

I got hit twice and I took 11 levels of damage?

No... Kazuo took 5 levels of damage... where's the 11 come from? ::confused

"Championship" team sounds like an understatement!!

That'll teach me to think Kazuo's hot stuff with 3 bashing soak, 3 Strength, and 10 dice in my combat pool!

(How could I be so wrong?!!?)

A 10 dice pool gets chipped away at pretty quickly with multiple actions... Jinsei & Tetsuo just had a single action each, while Kazuo dodged & attacked twice... & still they needed pretty good rolls to hit the guy...

EDIT: I just noticed your last post Prof., you did account for Kazuo's bashing soak right? (cuz I mean, holy crap!, 11 levels of damage!!!!)

Soak gets taken off the damage effect - i.e. the dice pool before it's rolled. Kazuo only took 5 levels of damage. Jinsei's kick, after Soak, did 3 dice, Tetsuo's Clinch (a Brawl / Strength-based attack) did 7 dice, after Soak (thanks to extra attack successes).

This is pretty typical of Aberrant - even among baselines damage dice pools usually far outstrip Soak.

Soak gets taken off the damage effect - i.e. the dice pool before it's rolled.

*Slaps forehead (hard)*

Oh yeah! Duh!

Don't know why I was thinking in terms of damage levels. That whole thing makes so much more sense now (though I also feel really stupid now as well). And I wasn't actually contesting anything, Prof, just so you know. My stupid brainfart just left me flabbergasted that two baseline kids had managed to inflict enough levels (as opposed to garnering enough damage dice - like what happens when you actually follow the rules.... I'm an idiot ::glare ) of damage to leave him at Maimed after only two attacks.

Other than the donkey kick thing, which I do think would be a stretch in RL, I'm actually pretty amazed that Kazuo actually managed to land even one punch on Tetsuo. Considering the sheer number and variety of factors all arrayed against him actually starting, let alone winning, that fight it's a miracle he got as far as he did. These factors would include: one student PC currently attempting to sick a teacher on the combatants, one student PC alerting Tetsuo of Kazuo's ambush, one building blowing up courtesy of a nova NPC student, one student PC purposely interposing himself between the combatants, the same student PC double-teaming Kazuo in an attempt to defend his fellow judoka. The reason I suggested that phoenix might want to edit his post to something other than a donkey kick is because I was expecting to be stopped by his attack, at least long enough for Tetsuo to realize what was going on and not be caught off guard, and if that happened I at least wanted Kazuo to go down in a realistic fashion. But hey, sometimes all you can do is lose with style.

one student PC currently attempting to sick a teacher on the combatants,
Attempted, and failed, thanks to a bad attempt at flirting with reverse psychology.
sometimes all you can do is lose with style.
But I don't have any dots in Style! ::sad ::wink

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend is super busy for me. Ideally I will have time to post tommorow during a break in between apointments. Im glad to finally be IC! I was away for three days earlier in the week and have been having to play catch-up, which leaves me with little mental energy for coherent IC posting. Just wanted to let you all know why its taking me a bit. Oh, and Ex PMed me to remind me about the Meet the Students thread so I will make that priority as well...

Okay, shit. It's been even longer than I thought. Sorry I've been missing, my computer went on the fritz, I got really busy, and then I graduated (no more college classes...ever!). I didn't realize I've been away too long. I don't think I was a crucial cog in the story at this point, but I hope I didn't screw anything up by going away. But I'm back now, and I'd like to stay in the story (as long as Seiji is still alive...haven't even checked the IC thread yet.).

So, sorry guys. Time for me to get caught up. I'm back!

... I don't think I was a crucial cog in the story at this point, but I hope I didn't screw anything up by going away. But I'm back now, and I'd like to stay in the story (as long as Seiji is still alive...haven't even checked the IC thread yet.)...

Well, the game's been moving at the usual pace for these things... i.e. pretty slowly (although hopefully it'll speed up a little now that all the PCs have been introduced & everyone seems to have a feel as to what school life is like). Good to see you back!

Can someone please tell me whether it's still morning or if its afternoon now? In class 1B I mean...

It's just after the end of the lunch break: pupils gather in their homerooms for some brief admin & stuff, then (in the case of 1B) it's off to physical education - swimming for the ladies & track & field for the gents. My intention is to give characters the opportunity to show off their stuff in PE (several characters have high athletic traits which I'm sure they're itching to flaunt), then we'll probably skip through the rest of lessons to the end of the school day - clubs, going home, getting the gym ready for the judo tournament - that sort of stuff.

I think I speak for all of us when I say, based on the action-packed introductions to Quantum Zero, Quantum Zero: Elites, Dreaming of Dragons and Masked Men, we were all sort of expecting to have been attacked by terrorists or aberrants long ago... ::sly ::wink

Would the Mountain Hotsprings Inn in the Kii mountains be the same pensioner inn being run by a retired okama that Akira works for during her summer vacations?

Your choice.

What's the school policy on students working?

It's against school policy (as per usual for Japanese schools, as far as I understand it) - but that just makes it all the more fun to need to get a part time job, right? ::sly

I think I speak for all of us when I say, based on the action-packed introductions to Quantum Zero, Quantum Zero: Elites, Dreaming of Dragons and Masked Men, we were all sort of expecting to have been attacked by terrorists or aberrants long ago...

Maybe you've been attacked by ninjas... but they're so good you don't know it yet... ::unsure ::ninja ::biggrin

BTW - great job on the school trip Zeke (I kinda' just threw that one at him & asked for details... delegation is a wondeful thing! ::wink )

I'm still here, but I'm not sure what I should be doing. I keep thinking I should be heading off to gym but there are other things going on.

I'm here, pinned to the wall, debating on either erupting on my first day and earning ProfPott's displeasure or hoping the coach comes in.

Oh, btw, the Kii mountains sound nice for my contact's pensioner inn.

I'm still here, but I'm not sure what I should be doing. I keep thinking I should be heading off to gym but there are other things going on.

Characters not doing the whole nurse's office thing should already be in their respective locker rooms, watching the action unfold. Sorry I failed to make that clear - I'm still trying to sort the pacing of this one out a bit, I don't feel it's settled into a regular flow yet.

Oh hey, sorry about that Zeke, I didn't realize.

Kazuo will let you pass no problem, he turned around in the doorway for a moment to find out what happened to his stuff. If Prof wants to move on from the Nurse's office, then I'm fine with assuming that Kazuo got his bag and we can go from there. But one way or the other Kazuo won't stop you from leaving the Nurse's office.

Hey everyone...I initally posted way back before i had read about the whole tetsuo/akira incident...in my frantic posting between appointments I missed that part and had to go back and re-edit. I had initally posted Tora moving out onto the track for class but the locker room has become a scene unto intself. I kinda like what I had written though so Im thinking when I get home (Im away right now) I can save it to my compy and reintroduce it when appropriate. Or should I just leave it as is?

Archived