Aberrant: War Journal - War Journal Expansion Teams

Heritage

Automatically assuming that another character who says he does is wrong is not exactly the pinnacle of intelligence in my book.

Nick isent saying outright that Hood is wrong...just that he is totally ignoring a huge, and probable possibility if this technology is what they say it is. He isent looking like a fool...if nothing else he is looking overly causious

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Bahamut, but I have to agree with Asbjorn here. We haven't even been told what we're supposed to do yet, much less how we're supposed to do it or even whether or not we're supposed to think about how we want to do it. Soldiers know how to take orders, even ones with special priveleges such as all of us. There's nothing to argue about yet. Besides, it's a real drag in character. ::wacko

No one is going to pick up on Paul apparently knowing what one of the other world's is like?

Actually Chimera did - for some reason, that was the last straw for her, probably because as a former actress, she hates to be 'upstaged' ::biggrin

Suddenly, her mind's eye falls on the computer screen, displaying the last thing she happened to look at before stepping back: Nick Barley - standing his ground.
::biggrin

That's not a name, Phoenix. It's a typo. Barley = misspelling of barely. The real name is Engall. ::wink

No one is going to pick up on Paul apparently knowing what one of the other world's is like?
Do you really think this is the best time...? ::huh ::unsure

I'm assuming that

A) Telepathy has images, leading to a little more information than "cold".

B) Paul continued to converse with our friend the onion.

C) ...and Paul said "probably". The onion gave me his best guess, I relayed it. Although I'll point out that's the sort of errors in the chain of intelligence/command that leads to wars. ::tongue

I hit it for him, though.
Thank you.

Hey Heritage, can Eufiber work as Cold Survival Gear? ::unsure

It's possible to argue that point either way.

And my "we discuss our powers comment" in the IC post was so that we can talk about what we can do here, if we so choose. ::wink

Speaking of powers, I assume that Paul's animal telepathy would work on Paths.

OOC: Which, since this is Aberrant, would be none of us but Dr. Vanderlay.. ::tongue

Oh, make me go all semanitc and everything! The two systems of telepathy (three, if you count the Animal stuff) are going to be a bit of a nightmare, I now see - I might have to edit that post, since in fact she's the one person in the room who wouldn't feel it automaticially, since it's quantum-based telepathy.

Also now there's the dillema of the Paths: are they animals or sentient creatures? They are more like the later, actually, which means maybe I've been mucking things up with Paul and THRONE's little chats.

Speaking of powers, I assume that Paul's animal telepathy would work on Paths.

In my mind, the entire distinction between animal and non-animal telepathy is an entirely artifical distinction, possibly created to allow Tarzan/Jungle Lord characters who can't figure out complicated 'human' thoughts, but have no problem with Chim-chim, the brave and fiesty chimp. Maybe the Paths straddle this distinction, and can be read with both? Hmm...

And on an unrelated note:

Hey Heritage, can Eufiber work as Cold Survival Gear? ::unsure

This game will drive me crazy yet! So if you shape your eufiber into a down-filled parka, will it keep you warm? Four possible answers:

1. No, it's not really down-filled, so you will freeze your ass off.

2. Yes, of course! Eufiber takes on the property of anything it looks like, right?

3. Yes, but only if you have Weave, and are good enough to fashion insulation with your brain.

4. Yes, but only if you know anything about apparell/clothing design (Style? Arts? Engineering or Science?) - this seems like the meanest, because it takes all the fun out of owning eufiber.

I'm tempted to just go with 2, as long as your not making an outfit that has a higher soak than your Eufiber. If you made a suit of full plate mail (knock yourself out, dude!), it would still the same soak as always. But would its mass increase....?

Gah! ::wacko

In my mind, the entire distinction between animal and non-animal telepathy is an entirely artifical distinction, possibly created to allow Tarzan/Jungle Lord characters who can't figure out complicated 'human' thoughts, but have no problem with Chim-chim, the brave and fiesty chimp. Maybe the Paths straddle this distinction, and can be read with both? Hmm...

Wow, now I'm glad I decided not to try to talk to it... ::tongue

This game will drive me crazy yet! So if you shape your eufiber into a down-filled parka, will it keep you warm? Four possible answers:

1. No, it's not really down-filled, so you will freeze your ass off.

2. Yes, of course! Eufiber takes on the property of anything it looks like, right?

3. Yes, but only if you have Weave, and are good enough to fashion insulation with your brain.

4. Yes, but only if you know anything about apparell/clothing design (Style? Arts? Engineering or Science?) - this seems like the meanest, because it takes all the fun out of owning eufiber.

I would just call it Weave. *shrug*

I'm tempted to just go with 2, as long as your not making an outfit that has a higher soak than your Eufiber. If you made a suit of full plate mail (knock yourself out, dude!), it would still the same soak as always. But would its mass increase....?

Ew. I'd say you definitely couldn't make it increase its mass, and you could only shape it into a very rough approximation of armor, that probably wouldn't be very metallic-looking or any harder than normal.

Also now there's the dillema of the Paths: are they animals or sentient creatures? They are more like the later, actually, which means maybe I've been mucking things up with Paul and THRONE's little chats.

In my mind, the entire distinction between animal and non-animal telepathy is an entirely artifical distinction

That focuses on the wrong question. There are and always have been sentient animals, there are and always have been non-sentient people (like that gal in Florida in a coma).

Telepathy (The power) :

1) Is very specific to what types of mind’s it effects “people” (i.e. humans).

2) Has an unreal range.

3) Is specific to one mind at a time.

4) Allows you to seriously mess with other peoples minds in multiple ways. It allows very deep probing and/or editing even against the “subject’s” will.

Animal Mastery (The power, i.e. “animal telepathy”)

1) Is very general in terms of what minds it affects (non-humans).

2) Has a much more limited range.

3) Can be general in terms of how many minds it effects.

4) Does NOT allow you to seriously mess with other minds. It does not allow editing, and doesn’t allow anything against the subject’s will.

Since neither the Paths or the Onion are (or ever were) human, Animal Mastery applies, Telepathy does not.

RE: Eufiber.

If all we are going to look at is soak, then charged Eufiber has a rating of 1 to 8 and a parka has (at most) 1. The counter argument is that a Parka can’t get frost bite. Something else to consider is that even those of us without Mega-Stamina will still have our Resistance dots. I assume most or all of us will also have a Stamina of 5 so that’s 8 dice, which the Eufiber gets as well. So we could say that Eufiber would make a pretty good parka.

So who died and made you guy-who-gets-to-decide-what-the-word-people-means? ::tongue There are nonhuman people. Arguably, novas are, as are Qin, Chromatics, etc. I think there's a note somewhere about talking to aliens with telepathy being more difficult than usual, but still possible.

That focuses on the wrong question.  There are and always have been sentient animals, there are and always have been non-sentient people (like that gal in Florida in a coma).

Telepathy (The power) :

2) Has an unreal range.

3) Is specific to one mind at a time.

4) Allows you to seriously mess with other peoples minds in multiple ways.  It allows very deep probing and/or editing even against the “subject’s” will.

Animal Mastery (The power, i.e. “animal telepathy”)

1) Is very general in terms of what minds it affects (non-humans).

2) Has a much more limited range.

3) Can be general in terms of how many minds it effects.

4) Does NOT allow you to seriously mess with other minds.  It does not allow editing, and doesn’t allow anything against the subject’s will.

Since neither the Paths or the Onion are (or ever were) human, Animal Mastery applies, Telepathy does not.

Well Paths are naturally telepathic, and it's quantum fueled, so who knows where all their DNA came from? I think it's safe to say that they contain strings of both animal and human DNA; the physical form is arthropod, but they have to be smart enough to understand human concepts and relay them accurately.

RE: Eufiber.

If all we are going to look at is soak, then charged Eufiber has a rating of 1 to 8 and a parka has (at most) 1. The counter argument is that a Parka can’t get frost bite.  Something else to consider is that even those of us without Mega-Stamina will still have our Resistance dots.  I assume most or all of us will also have a Stamina of 5 so that’s 8 dice, which the Eufiber gets as well.  So we could say that Eufiber would make a pretty good parka.

This is true - Weave would help you make a more detailed copy of any given garment, but soak is soak and cold is damage. Still, some sort of backup clothing might be a good idea.

This is true - Weave would help you make a more detailed copy of any given garment, but soak is soak and cold is damage.

A coat of armor might have quite a bit of soak, but I'd hate to be stuck in one in the cold. After a while it would be even worse than being naked.

Well Paths are naturally telepathic, and it's quantum fueled, so who knows where all their DNA came from? I think it's safe to say that they contain strings of both animal and human DNA; the physical form is arthropod, but they have to be smart enough to understand human concepts and relay them accurately.
Ah, I think we need something more defined. ::smile

Does Paul's Animal Telepathy work on Paths? (I'd just test it but IC I should already know.)

Does normal Telepathy work on Paths?

As a separate question, what exactly are you all so busy "packing"? Aren't we all still in the Throneroom laboratory? ::smile ::huh

...with the people supplying the gear we want, yeah. ::wink But I agree, Hood's own stuff isn't there, and he'll pack it later.

At this point, I'm sort of assuming that Turlow and the other techs are laying stuff out for the team members to look over, to sort of keep a vague sense of continuity going. ::biggrin The storage room is just off the main THRONE room through one of the door slits, so it's no big deal.

"... My only true 'power' is the ability to sense quantum, in basically all of its forms..."

Does he mean 'Quantum' as in the undefined energy which powers Novas, or 'quantum forces' as in the four basic building blocks of the universe as defined by quantum theory - electromagnetism, nuclear strong force, nuclear weak force, & gravity? There's a pretty big difference between the two, really...

"... My conciousness, as well as physical body exist across 4 dimensions, instead of the typical 3..."

Um... we all exist in at least four dimensions - as does anything we can perceive & interact with - height, width, depth, & time. Take any one of them away & an object can't exist in our reality. Does he actually mean that he interacts with time differently than normal folks?

"... And yes, if need be, I can force myself into only 3 dimensions so as not to freak out the natives."

That wouldn't freak out the natives, apart from the fact he'd suddenly cease to exist... ::unsure

Um... we all exist in at least four dimensions - as does anything we can perceive & interact with - height, width, depth, & time. Take any one of them away & an object can't exist in our reality. Does he actually mean that he interacts with time differently than normal folks?

That wouldn't freak out the natives, apart from the fact he'd suddenly cease to exist... ::unsure

There's also the concept of the fourth dimension existing as a hypothical physical space, as explained here. Anyway, this might just be the way his brain interprets his powers - if he were a native Australian, he might think of it as 'Dreamtime', etc.

There's also the concept of the fourth dimension existing as a hypothical physical space, as explained here. Anyway, this might just be the way his brain interprets his powers - if he were a native Australian, he might think of it as 'Dreamtime', etc.

Except he's saying that his explanation is Hood's way of interpreting his powers...

Prince: Since you're playing this like it's my character who's explained your powers that way, I insist that the explanation makes sense. ::tongue

That said, one could always say that Tesseract relates to 4 dimensions the same way that the rest of us relate to 3, and isn't bound by the default 'forward motion' in time that most people are, so...

Does he actually mean that he interacts with time differently than normal folks?

...the answer to that question is yes.

Does he mean 'Quantum' as in the undefined energy which powers Novas, or 'quantum forces' as in the four basic building blocks of the universe as defined by quantum theory - electromagnetism, nuclear strong force, nuclear weak force, & gravity? There's a pretty big difference between the two, really...

Well, unless Halle is telepathic, I would say that she (you) have no idea what he means ::tongue . That being said, it's B) 'quantum forces' as in the four basic building blocks of the universe as defined by quantum theory (ie. Quantum Attunement).

Damn, I knew I should have gotten that physics degree, instead of this worhtless philosophy and religion one...

Point one, just because we can't perceive and interact with something doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't exist. Mathematical theory allows for 1 and 2 dimensional objects as well; so taking away any one of them doesn't mean it can't exist (can't is a very strong word in physics and philosophy); just that we may not be able to perceive it.

Ok, here's what I was trying to explain. Conceptually, not all objects exist in all dimensions. For example a point only exists in one (has no length or depth), a line in two (has no depth), and a cube in three. Now the tricky part is that if time is 'simply' the 4th dimension, then that means a cube (or any othe 3 dimensional object) does not extend into that dimension (as extrapolated from the other 2 examples). Yet we know that time does affect us (3 dimensional beings). So one could surmise (possibly) that an object that exists in x dimensions can perceive/be affected by x+1 dimensions. So, as 3 dimensional beings, we can fully manipulate 3 dimensions, yet can only perceive and be affected by (aging) a 4th.

Tesseract then, would be a being that exists in 4 dimensions; thus he could theoretically perceive in some way/be affected by a heretofore unnamed 5th dimension. This also means that time is simply another landscape (for lack of a better term) for him. He can 'look' in the 4th dimension, thus being able to see the past and future (and the other stuff I wrote in the main forum).

That said, one could always say that Tesseract relates to 4 dimensions the same way that the rest of us relate to 3, and isn't bound by the default 'forward motion' in time that most people are

That too...

• 2 weeks later...

Continuity, please!!!

You can't just use your flaws to your own advantage in one post, and then ignore them in the next, Nullifier! You are reacting to things that were said while you were incommunicado, which creates the mistaken impression that your flaw isn't a problem. Please change that.

To clarify what I'm talking about: Four characters are engaged in open communication throughout the last posts. I'm not counting Paul since he doesn't actually say anything. The order this happens in, the way I think it's logical to see it, is:

Hood yells - or growls? - at Pat

Faith - pissed at Hood's outburst - replies, just before...

Bledsoe starts his speech, halfway through which he includes Pat who opens his eyes and joins the land of the conscious

Pat replies - with reference to things said while he wasn't paying attention

Alternately, we move Faith's outburst out of context and to a point where Pat is paying attention, making the order:

Hood

Bledsoe

Faith

Pat

Which one is it?

If the first one is correct, there are two ways to deal with that. Out of- or in character. I don't mind questioning Pat's deafness in character, but that's not exactly what you want, is it?

And, er...

Pat, if you can read me, don't play around in Hood's head - the boy has issues, due to a long-standing tradition on his world about just this sort of thing. If you have any questions, maybe he can, I dunno, write you an essay or something.

Was this for everybody, or just Pat? ::unsure

I noticed that after I posted. The reason I didn't notice it before was a combination of not reading quotes and the fact that Faith supposedly made sure Pat could read her lips before speaking, which wouldn't have been possible before Bledsoe started broadcasting, and Pat opened his eyes, which were, until that point, shut. So it's not entirely my fault, 'cause phoenix assumed that Pat's eyes were open again when I never posted anything up until that point to that effect, so I naturally assumed it took place after Bledsoe started broadcasting and Pat opened his eyes. ::rolleyes Or didn't you notice that continuity flaw until my post exacerbated it? ::tongue

::angry And don't accuse me of not playing my character's flaws until you know the whole story next time. It's extremely insulting, and should have been in a PM, at the least. I thought flaming people in public without a fair hearing was frowned on around here. ::unsure

Phoenix, what do you want to do 'bout this? You can change your post so that Faith doesn't care if Pat sees, in which case I'll change mine so he doesn't respond to you, or make it after Bledsoe starts broadcasting and Pat's eyes are open. Lemme know what you do so I can edit accordingly. ::smile

Everyone simmer down please. Asbjørn, I think that that could definitely have been much more politely put. ::pray Continuity is always a problem with characters responding to multiple things in a single post, and it was an easy detail for Nulli to miss.

Phoenix, what do you want to do 'bout this? You can change your post so that Faith doesn't care if Pat sees, in which case I'll change mine so he doesn't respond to you, or make it after Bledsoe starts broadcasting and Pat's eyes are open. Lemme know what you do so I can edit accordingly.

I'll change mine. I forgot the guy he had his eyes closed too. ::scared

Was this for everybody, or just Pat? ::unsure

Sorry, I was being unclear here as well - what I meant was that Bledsoe set his mask radio so that he was audible both to normal hearing as well as to people with Ultra-hearing or using a radio. In other words, he was speaking through both the external speaker and the radio set, so those lines said after he flicks the switch should have been audible to everyone present.

And so I did my part to make this into an even bigger mess. Most important of all, let's all calm down, people - this is a game we're all a part of voluntarily, and the point is to enjoy ourselves. Let's correct the continuity problems and move on.

Everyone simmer down please. Asbjørn, I think that that could definitely have been much more politely put. ::pray Continuity is always a problem with characters responding to multiple things in a single post, and it was an easy detail for Nulli to miss.

...but an important one, which is why I asked about it. Ok, I guess I could have been more polite, and made it clearer that I was going after you both and not just nulli, but I hardly think words like 'flaming' and 'insult' are called for. My point is:

Continuity is important! ::smile

"That's a load of bullsh*t. [...] You Aeon creeps are all alike, always talking down to people with that nauseating 'for your own good' attitude. Well now no one will ever, ever fall for that again. You can bet on it. "

Next time any Trinity character of mine on these forums ever gets angry at their boss, I'm going to use those exact words to denounce them. If no one notices, it'll just add to the irony. ::wink

Sorry to be absent for so long - I've been trying to shake a mean upper respiratoy infection, and as my PC is located in a musty basement, I've been mostly offline, trying to recooperate. I'm feeling somewhat better, and should get back to posting in the next day or so.

Again, sorry for the delay! ::blush

Archived