AD&D SECOND OR THIRD ADDITION

CHAMBO99

AD&D was the first role playing game i was introduced to, and have had fun playing the games that was run and had some memorable moments (hey admin)   :D  but i haven't tried the third addition yet but have been told its quite good so that should be fun playing.

chambo

Yerrr.........

For the record, the revised ST system is still the best game mechanics system i've come across in some 14 years of roleplaying (suddenly I feel old!), but like a lot of people, my first RPG was AD&D (not counting 1 session of MERP, which almost made me loose interest completely, but thats another story).

I ran Forgotten Realms 2nd edition for a loooong time, and both Chambo and Snr Mal played in some of those games (Chambo more than Mal).  I also played quite a bit as well (Ravenloft, Greyhawk, some home built settings etc)...

At one point it was all we played.  But, once I got into Storyteller I (I suppose like a lot of people) started looking around at other systems.

Whilst AD&D 2nd Ed was fun, easy to get into and well supported - It definitely had/has its faults.  Other systems have nailed things a bit better to be honest.  In the end I gave up completely on D&D and haven't really touched it for years.........

But then the old nostalgia thing kicks in....  3rd Ed came out, beterr than ever apparently, and I bought a Players handbook (eek), and a couple more (about 5) books......(mostly Arthaus stuff).

Although I've not yet played it, or run it (I dont think I'd run it) its been interesting to see the work that has gone into the new edition - its certainly better organised, the d20 license thingy is a stroke of marketing genius, and at least the game is well supported (dont get me started on the Aeoniverse/Arthaus thing!).

But........   they haven't gone far enough.  HP, Levels - all still there (the things I disliked the most), and whislt the system tries to support 'non dungeon bash' games, the focus is still mainly on the DnD we all know (and hate?).

Will it work - I'd have to play it first to find out I suppose........

With a bit of luck even if the game doesnt attract back old players, it will certainly bring in new ones, who will eventually see the light of revised Storyeteller and go buy Trinity, Aberrant and Adventure - which are good things :)

Ex DnD DM, signing out :)

i think the whole system should be rewritten and the number of dice's used in ad&d should be reduced to just one. the spels and combat rules and hit points should be redone to a level that is believable and so a mage cannot take a full pelt of dragons breath and walk away from it.

Alternity was great.  It smoothed out alot of problems that AD&D 2nd Edition had, and added a lot of quality ideas in.  The two settings were good, but the Dark Matter setting was possibly the best that I have ever played in - the tension and the drama were overpowering.

• 2 months later...

My first RPG was AD&D first edition way back in 1980 - had tons of fun and lots of fond memories. I then became disgusted with D&D and switched to the Ysgarth Game System, an obscure small-press game that was my first encounter with skill-based characters.

Then came Stalking the Night Fantastic, GURPS and Ars Magica, which for my money is still the best traditional fantasy game out there. Our Ars group played for about five years before we burned out on it. After that, we decided to turn back the clock and check out D&D 3rd edition, since one of our players had been a longtime RPGA member and Second edition fan.

I think 3rd edition is great - yes, it still has all the flaws of the original system, but I'm having a great time. I still think WW games blow all incarnations of D&D out of the water in terms of character creation, storyline and so much more. But I forgot how much I missed the nightmare of wandering encounters attacking the camp during third watch, the fact that my rogue/cleric/bard is a stirge magnet, and getting into barroom brawls by accidentally insulting the dwarven innkeeper's beer.

I'm all about balance, so I like both the deep and the shallow ends of the RPG pool.

Archived